Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  107 108 109 [110] 111   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 3:59:09 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

His wicked crossover shows me he has the ability to clean up his handles if he puts in the work.

Flash over substance. Not a good sign. If you can't do the basics, fancier moves do you no good. All it shows me is that he spent WAY too much time working on his crossover.

quote:

His age isn't a concern of mine at all. To me he's still a rookie who didn't get a lot of playing time.

He still played 3000 minutes in college and over 1300 this year.

I'm not saying he's a finished product but there is no reason to assume he's going to buck the trend of old rookies developing much less than young ones. Especially at PG where its much harder to get by on god-given talent than any other position.

My thoughts on the handles is now he realizes he needs to get better. The NBA is FAR different from NCAA.

And as far as being a PG... I now view him as a Combo-Guard. Many teams have done very well with Combo-Guards leading the way.
Post #: 2726
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 3:59:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Knicks win, so we're now in a coin flip for 6/7, and Dallas and Sacramento can't catch us.

KG, that's why a Wolves win tonight would have been disastrous!!

Try to see the big picture KG.

Tanking for ping pong balls is for LOSERS. That said I hope we win the lottery and get the first overall selection. I like Fultz or Josh Jackson more than Isaac.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/14/2017 4:04:26 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2727
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 4:05:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

His wicked crossover shows me he has the ability to clean up his handles if he puts in the work.

Flash over substance. Not a good sign. If you can't do the basics, fancier moves do you no good. All it shows me is that he spent WAY too much time working on his crossover.

quote:

His age isn't a concern of mine at all. To me he's still a rookie who didn't get a lot of playing time.

I'm not saying he's a finished product but there is no reason to assume he's going to buck the trend of old rookies developing much less than young ones. Especially at PG where its much harder to get by on god-given talent than any other position.

My thoughts on the handles is now he realizes he needs to get better. The NBA is FAR different from NCAA.

And as far as being a PG... I now view him as a Combo-Guard. Many teams have done very well with Combo-Guards leading the way.

Most combo guards are undersized SGs. Guys that can score, but don't have PG skills.

Dunn has the size for it, but he needs to provide something on offense to be playable. Right now he's a poor-man's Tony Allen. He's going to have to get a lot better if he wants to be part of a rotation on a playoff team.
Post #: 2728
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 4:15:42 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Knicks win, so we're now in a coin flip for 6/7, and Dallas and Sacramento can't catch us.

Tanking for ping pong balls is for LOSERS. That said I hope we win the lottery and get the first overall selection. I like Fultz or Josh Jackson more than Isaac.

Not when you are as close as the Wolves are.... And you will very likely NOT have a #1 pick next year and not a top/lottery pick for years to come.

You look at the BIG PICTURE.
Post #: 2729
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 4:35:19 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not when you are as close as the Wolves are.... And you will very likely NOT have a #1 pick next year and not a top/lottery pick for years to come.

You look at the BIG PICTURE.

Notice the Caps again. Tanking is for losers is all the Big Picture I need to know.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2730
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 4:50:56 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Most combo guards are undersized SGs. Guys that can score, but don't have PG skills.

Dunn has the size for it, but he needs to provide something on offense to be playable. Right now he's a poor-man's Tony Allen. He's going to have to get a lot better if he wants to be part of a rotation on a playoff team.

And again, he's a rookie who didn't get a lot of playing time.
Post #: 2731
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 4:53:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

17 MPG over 78 games (1333 minutes) is a significant amount of playing time for a rookie.
Post #: 2732
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 5:05:28 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

17 MPG over 78 games (1333 minutes) is a significant amount of playing time for a rookie.

Numbers don't mean anything to me. I watch every game. His numbers were very sporadic.

I'm not denying he needs to show more, but I hear to many supposedly Twolves fans who have already labelled him a bust.
Post #: 2733
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 5:18:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Numbers don't mean anything to me. I watch every game. His numbers were very sporadic.

I'm not denying he needs to show more, but I hear to many supposedly Twolves fans who have already labelled him a bust.

They were sporadic because sometimes he'd just come in and kill us. Or he'd pick up 4 fouls in 5 minutes.

I don't think anyone has called him a bust. He's a very good defender - much better than most rookies. But he can't be a total negative on the other end and get playing time.

I've said it multiple times that he needs to focus really hard on the 3 point shot. As bad as his shot is, I think it'll be easier to get him to shoot the 3 than to develop all the skills needed to run a team.

I think the fear that he'll replace Ricky is pretty much put to bed, and he's a pretty awful fit next to Rubio - unless he can become a 35-40% 3pt shooter.

I could see him playing limited minutes next to Zach is a very untraditional backcourt, but you'd really be relying on everyone to get their own shots.
Post #: 2734
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 6:10:39 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They were sporadic because sometimes he'd just come in and kill us. Or he'd pick up 4 fouls in 5 minutes.

I don't think anyone has called him a bust. He's a very good defender - much better than most rookies. But he can't be a total negative on the other end and get playing time.

I've said it multiple times that he needs to focus really hard on the 3 point shot. As bad as his shot is, I think it'll be easier to get him to shoot the 3 than to develop all the skills needed to run a team.

I think the fear that he'll replace Ricky is pretty much put to bed, and he's a pretty awful fit next to Rubio - unless he can become a 35-40% 3pt shooter.

I could see him playing limited minutes next to Zach is a very untraditional backcourt, but you'd really be relying on everyone to get their own shots.

I pretty much agree. I've seen the 3 fouls in 2 minutes games. Sometimes I do think he's too aggressive defensively and especially for a rookie, he isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt there.

And his shooting I think will improve as it does for almost every player once they acclimate themselves to the NBA.

I'm not saying you David, but there have been plenty of people who have already labelled him a bust. I call it the "Millennial immediate Gratification" Syndrome.
Post #: 2735
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 6:13:02 PM   
Steve Lentz

It's a shame that Dunn's offensive game is so undeveloped. He's going to be a terrific defensive player, but it may not end up being here. As Thibs said we need some shooters. I wonder if he would take Hield or Murray if he could do it over again? This should be a real interesting off-season as we look for more size, depth and shooters.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2736
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 6:14:15 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I wonder if he would take Hield or Murray if he could do it over again?

I doubt it.
Post #: 2737
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 7:07:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

It's a shame that Dunn's offensive game is so undeveloped. He's going to be a terrific defensive player, but it may not end up being here. As Thibs said we need some shooters. I wonder if he would take Hield or Murray if he could do it over again? This should be a real interesting off-season as we look for more size, depth and shooters.

I didn't like any of the 3 in the draft. Still don't.

I'd probably still keep Dunn over the other 2. Maybe I'd take Murray because he's so young.
Post #: 2738
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 7:55:48 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

I didn't like any of the 3 in the draft. Still don't.

I'd probably still keep Dunn over the other 2. Maybe I'd take Murray because he's so young.

Murray was my guy, but always predicted Dunn would be Thibs choice. That was too easy.

Post #: 2739
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/14/2017 8:10:42 PM   
Bill Jandro

Was a bad draft.

Among the 3 leading ROY candidates 2 (Ebiid & Saric) came from the previous draft and the 3rd guy Malcolm Brogdon was the 36th pick last year.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2740
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/15/2017 9:54:51 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

I think you are selecting only parts of what Thibs says, because a segment fits your opinion. Yes, we need shooters, but that does not mean that every player or every starter needs to be a shooter. However he talked a lot about needing to change the entire culture of the organization from top to bottom. I would assume this means ending the Country Club mentality, which is still engrained here. We also need two way players. However, there are few two way players in the draft. Nearly every player has significant deficiencies in their game. We need coaches who can teach the skills that players are lacking. Sounds like a significant part of the off season will be spent on skills training. Thibs said that they did not get the guys which they were after in the last off season. So instead of spending their doe on the next guy up, they kept a lot of powder dry for this off season. He is going to be looing at bringing in players at the same age as our core group. This may mean bring in players like Lance to see if they fit. Players who have some questions in their game, but have more upside potential. Unless we get our players at our price, we are not going to bid up the price to make a splash. We will see more stop gap players. As our core improves, better players will want to come here. We have established a culture of over paying for marginal players. That list is extremely long.
Post #: 2741
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 7:47:10 AM   
kgdabom

Lance Stephenson with 16-7-3 in first game of playoffs against Cavs. I think Wolves could use him, but the Pacers just seem like the right team for him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2742
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 1:15:26 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

Lance Stephenson with 16-7-3 in first game of playoffs against Cavs. I think Wolves could use him, but the Pacers just seem like the right team for him.

I saw that too. IMO it was a BAD move to not sign him for next season... and possibly beyond.
Post #: 2743
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 4:04:08 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

I saw that too. IMO it was a BAD move to not sign him for next season... and possibly beyond.

There must have been something about Lance that Thibs did not like. I think being constantly injured may have been a factor, hard to tell. He seemed like a low risk signing. Maybe Lance did not like it here.
Post #: 2744
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 5:10:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

He signed a 3 year 12M contract with Indy. I doubt he was going to take a 1 year deal with us.

I'm fine with losing him. It's been 4 years since he's been a good player and he's always been a handful to manage.
Post #: 2745
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 6:00:50 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

He signed a 3 year 12M contract with Indy. I doubt he was going to take a 1 year deal with us.

I'm fine with losing him. It's been 4 years since he's been a good player and he's always been a handful to manage.

I'd be fine with that deal for Lance. Even after the ankle injuries.
Post #: 2746
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 6:16:02 PM   
Sandman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

There must have been something about Lance that Thibs did not like. I think being constantly injured may have been a factor, hard to tell. He seemed like a low risk signing. Maybe Lance did not like it here.

The guy is a living, breathing injury. No thanks. Indiana can have him. I was very intrigued when they signed him. But I saw enough. No thanks.
Post #: 2747
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/16/2017 6:24:00 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

quote:

quote:

quote:

The guy is a living, breathing injury. No thanks. Indiana can have him. I was very intrigued when they signed him. But I saw enough. No thanks.

I am inclined to agree with you and Dave that Lance will never be in physical condition to play without spending most of the season on the DL. A vet minimum contract would be ok, but the contract that Indiana gave him was too rich for my blood.
Post #: 2748
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/17/2017 12:17:57 PM   
David Levine

Transcription of Thibs' end of season presser. Good stuff:

http://www.canishoopus.com/2017/4/17/15301718/tom-thibodeaus-end-of-season-press-conference-wiggins-towns-lavine-rubio
Post #: 2749
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 4/17/2017 7:15:33 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am inclined to agree with you and Dave that Lance will never be in physical condition to play without spending most of the season on the DL. A vet minimum contract would be ok, but the contract that Indiana gave him was too rich for my blood.

He's probably too big a risk, but wish we had some guys that play with his attitude.

Post #: 2750
Page:   <<   < prev  107 108 109 [110] 111   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  107 108 109 [110] 111   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode