Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:00:22 AM   
Black 47

Some terrible possessions late. Draining shot clock, getting terrible shots. Then Sac runs the perfect play and Lawson drains an open 3. Down 5 with a minute left.
Post #: 26
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:03:42 AM   
Black 47

And missing more clutch free throws........ I think these guys started to believe all the great things being said about them. Thibs will get it straightened out.
Post #: 27
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:05:00 AM   
Black 47

Cousins is still nuts.
Post #: 28
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:10:04 AM   
Black 47

KAT needs to bulk up.
Post #: 29
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:11:18 AM   
Black 47

Jump ball! Ten seconds left down two.
Post #: 30
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 12:16:25 AM   
Black 47

I can't believe they couldn't get off a better shot than that at the end. I'd have set up a play for a Lavine 3 for the win.
Post #: 31
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 10:46:02 AM   
McMurfy

By the end of the season, there will be single games deciding playoff seeds and berths.
Can't give away these games no matter how early it is.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 32
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 11:20:05 AM   
David Levine

Missed seeing the game live, but just fast forwarded through most of it.

2 games ina row where teams got physical with us and we couldn't match up. Cousins and Gay absolutely had their way with KAT and Wiggins.

Same thing happened in Memphis. We couldn't handle Gasoline, ZBo, Conley and Carter.

We really needed to sign a big SF/small PF for these kinds of matchups. And we might need to start playing KAT with Aldrich or Hill at times.
Post #: 33
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 1:38:06 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

That loss hurt more than any opening loss in any sport I can remember. I have such high hopes for this team and we had so many opportunities to win. Towns calls Marc Gasol the toughest opponent he has ever faced. Maybe giving him too much respect or letting him get inside his head.

Really?
Memphis is a tough match up and we were at their place. Gasol is too strong and smart for Towns at this point. We don't have the physical players to handle their front line and Conley always gives us trouble. Memphis was also missing a couple key players. The West is really loaded. I see us at around 42 wins this year.
I was disappointed in our bench and our ability to defend the 3 point line as that has been discussed so much. Need to give Thibs some time with this young team.

As you stated they were missing some players. We had the huge lead. We had the 4 point lead with 2:49 to go. We simply found a way to lose the game. That is why I was so disappointed. Regardless of Gasol being smart and strong Towns should be able to use his superior gifts to overcome that. The loss hurt a lot.

The Wolves have to move the ball very quickly to be successful. Once the ball movement slows, physical teams have an advantage. KAT needs to learn how to properly use his assets against players like Gasol, who gives him and most players fits. Too bad Pek can't play against Gasol. KAT will bulk up soon too.

A healthy Pek would have provided some BEEF we needed in the last 2 games.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 34
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 2:33:44 PM   
Bill Jandro

Early still but sounds like a healthy Pek to get in there and soften up the opponents big men would be a nice luxery.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 35
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/30/2016 10:27:49 PM   
David Jerde

Optimism for the future probs gave me unreasonably high expectations for the Wolves this season. They remind me of some early season KG teams, where they haven't yet figured out how to close. They will get better as the year goes on, still they need to learn how the game is a collection of runs; they need to learn how to adapt and play through the runs before they'll be challenging for a playoff slot.
Post #: 36
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 9:12:22 AM   
Karl Juhnke

After two games that went pretty much the same way, I can't say I'm too terribly disappointed or surprised by the outcomes.

Thibs can't be too surprised either. These two games probably reinforced what he saw when he decided to take over this team. He saw some very good promising basketball in the first halves, and he saw a team that loses its way in the second halves and shows it needs more polishing.

The first half shows he has a lot to work with. The second half shows they still need a lot of work.

Still, just two games of 82. Teams lose back to back road games all the time, never mind a young team playing its first two games under a new coach, still trying to figure each other out. Nothing to panic about.

C’mon man
Post #: 37
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 10:23:52 AM   
McMurfy

On the other hand,
there are a large number of players on this team who have become "comfortable" losing.
It is a franchise that is accustomed to losing.

Need to change that mindset and culture quickly or it will be yet another rebuilding year.

Post #: 38
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 10:25:17 AM   
ruffenach

It is going to take a while for this team to jell and learn how to control the game from tip off to the final buzzer. They need a bulk guy to match up with teams who have a physical center. Towns will get there, but will not happen over night.
Post #: 39
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:46:26 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

It is going to take a while for this team to jell and learn how to control the game from tip off to the final buzzer. They need a bulk guy to match up with teams who have a physical center. Towns will get there, but will not happen over night.

I'm not sure Towns will get there as far as being a bulk guy. Nor do I particularly want him to. His game is not to hunker down near the lane and bang around. He needs to be all over the court. KG, but with a better post up game.

C’mon man
Post #: 40
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:49:05 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

On the other hand,
there are a large number of players on this team who have become "comfortable" losing.

Need to change that mindset and culture quickly or it will be yet another rebuilding year.

Feels like that's a huge hurdle here.
Good point.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 41
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:49:12 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

On the other hand,

I don't think the young guys are comfortable losing. They just don't know how to win. If Thibs does detect anyone comfortable with losing I don't think it will last very long. They'll be more uncomfortable with him.

C’mon man
Post #: 42
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:53:12 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

On the other hand,

I don't think the young guys are comfortable losing. They just don't know how to win. If Thibs does detect anyone comfortable with losing I don't think it will last very long. They'll be more uncomfortable with him.

I agree,but I think by his quotes already, he is appaled at how accustomed they are to losing.

Post #: 43
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:55:42 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure Towns will get there as far as being a bulk guy. Nor do I particularly want him to. His game is not to hunker down near the lane and bang around. He needs to be all over the court. KG, but with a better post up game.

Yeah, I don't think he needs to get much bigger, just stronger. That'll happen as he gets his "big boy muscles".

We've been OK on offense. We do tend to bog down into iso ball when things aren't going well, but we've been good enough to win both games. Defense needs a lot of work, but that's to be expected in a totally different system - especially one that requires so much synergy between players.

We've also started out the season playing 2 "Dave Joerger" defenses (and we play Memphis again in our next game). He coaches one of the most physical, bullying defenses in the league and, so far, we've been ill-equipped to deal with that.
Post #: 44
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 11:56:58 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

On the other hand,

We know Ricky is very sick of losing. And KAT takes losses hard. Probably too hard.
Post #: 45
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 3:12:51 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

On the other hand,

We know Ricky is very sick of losing. And KAT takes losses hard. Probably too hard.

1. Ricky should be sick of it, he's done it nearly as much as anyone 6 or 7 years into a career.
2. Towns may take them too hard, but he's been pretty good at it as well.

Post #: 46
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 3:52:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

Most of our players have only experienced losing since joining this Org.

Most if not all won a ton in HS and in College.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 47
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 4:12:56 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Christian Laetner was the only winner in the Wolves locker room back in the day. Just ask him.

C’mon man
Post #: 48
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 4:34:20 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

Of course they did, but even in here you can see that they have a fan base who are OK with losing.
Blame it on this, blame it in that.
Not to mention a Front Office.

Are we turning it around? I hope so.

Post #: 49
RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day - 10/31/2016 5:26:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Christian Laetner was the only winner in the Wolves locker room back in the day. Just ask him.

Kevin Love, too ....

wait ......

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2016 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode