Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 3:35:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

You shouldn't be concerned with the 3 year deal. It could be a 10 year deal and it wouldn't matter.

If there is little to no guaranteed money, the team can walk away from the contract whenever they want. That's the trick to any NFL contract, not simply the years.

If anything, the years piece is for the player's security, if such a thing exists in this case.

Sure, I think we all get that.

But if you are routinely giving seasoned veterans like Murry, Jones and Floyd one year deals, not to mention the cast of thousands huddling on the bottom of the roster ... a 3 yr deal is odd.

Tagaloa sounds like fodder ... looks like fodder. Outside of enraging Trekgeekscot ... doesn't seem to have much value ... not sure why he rates an exception to his contract (worthless piece of paper that it is).

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/16/2017 3:37:51 PM >
Post #: 3301
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 3:46:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

You shouldn't be concerned with the 3 year deal. It could be a 10 year deal and it wouldn't matter.

If there is little to no guaranteed money, the team can walk away from the contract whenever they want. That's the trick to any NFL contract, not simply the years.

If anything, the years piece is for the player's security, if such a thing exists in this case.

But if you are routinely giving seasoned veterans like Murry, Jones and Floyd one year deals, not to mention the cast of thousands huddling on the bottom of the roster ... a 3 yr deal is odd.

Tagaloa sounds like fodder ... looks like fodder. Outside of enraging Trekgeekscot ... not sure why he rates an exception to his contract (worthless piece of paper that it is).

The only way you can enrage a trekgeek is by messing with the trek.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 3302
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 4:07:24 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

Tagaloa sounds like fodder ... looks like fodder. Outside of enraging Trekgeekscot ... doesn't seem to have much value ... not sure why he rates an exception to his contract (worthless piece of paper that it is).

You're digging too deep. All of the futures contracts are multi year deals and most of them are camp fodder.

The key to ALL contracts is guaranteed money, period. Floyd's contract isn't for more years becuz of the amount of guaranteed money the team was willing to pay, not becuz neither party wanted a longer deal.

The fact that nobody is talking about how much money was guaranteed on this guy's contract should let you know it's probably around 50k. That's bubblegum machine money to an NFL team.

The fact that you find it odd is becuz you're looking to make sense of it, compared to elite free agent contracts. I'm suggesting you dont.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 5/16/2017 4:10:34 PM >

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3303
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:02:36 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Tagaloa sounds like fodder ... looks like fodder. Outside of enraging Trekgeekscot ... not sure why he rates an exception to his contract (worthless piece of paper that it is).

It's been 10 months...got around to seeing Star Trek Beyond yet?

Existential midlife crisis mode engaged.
Post #: 3304
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:23:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan‏Verified account @ArifHasanNFL
anyway, new vikings udfa freddie tagaloa is a guard who is very tall (6'8") and is very strong (max bench of 475, 41 reps of 225 at pro day)

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3305
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:48:35 PM   
Bruce Johnson

6'8" guards are too tall. Makes it tough for qb to see downfield, right? Also, it's difficult to have leverage vs big fatties.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 3306
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:51:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't think of it.

Too busy enjoying good sci-fi like Gaurdians and Covenant.

Oops.
Post #: 3307
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:52:53 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

6'8" guards are too tall. Makes it tough for qb to see downfield, right? Also, it's difficult to have leverage vs big fatties.

nm.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/16/2017 6:00:39 PM >
Post #: 3308
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 5:55:14 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does that one have a chick captain? Its hard to keep track.
Post #: 3309
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 6:16:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This seems to confirm about guards are better when they are comparable to the big fatties.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/18/1303355/what-you-look-for-in-an-nfl

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 3310
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 6:27:28 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. This is the series with the chick Captain, who is half human, half Klingon, and part cyborg.

Post #: 3311
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 7:59:16 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. This is the series with the chick Captain, who is half human, half Klingon, and part cyborg.

yeah jk. only trying to get a rise or start a flame war more worthy than guard fodder contract details.
Post #: 3312
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 8:19:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow. Can she play RT?

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 3313
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 9:33:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

anyway, new vikings udfa freddie tagaloa is a guard who is very tall (6'8") and is very strong (max bench of 475, 41 reps of 225 at pro day)

6'8" 314 lbs is pretty skinny.
Post #: 3314
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 1:43:55 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

6'8" 314 lbs is pretty skinny.

I get a laugh out of people who say this player or that player is too big or to small for position "x" ....

Of the tens of thousands of below college level players, and the thousands upon thousands of all levels of college players of various and sundry abilities and physical attributes, there are only 1,696 opening day positions on 32 teams in the NFL.

I case you have not noticed.. bigger, faster, stronger is the trend of evolution in humans, not only in sports, but in society as well.

My only concern is that the trend in general populations of people is also more xenophobic and less intelligent, but that is JMO.

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 3315
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 6:26:43 AM   
Todd M

quote:

I case you have not noticed.. bigger, faster, stronger is the trend of evolution in humans, not only in sports, but in society as well.

When I was growing up I always looked up to the older kids and thought - man they are mature. Large.

Now when I look at late middle school - to high school kids I think - wow what a bunch of wieners.

They don't do themselves any favors with this dress down trend...track pants and Goodwill sweatshirts w/socks and sandals.

Post #: 3316
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 9:05:23 AM   
Mark Anderson

Vikes sign DT Will Sutton.

This could be a nice move. He is a natural 3 technique who played out of position in Bears' 3-4.

His senior highlights at ASU are impressive.
Post #: 3317
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 9:21:35 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

This could be a nice move. He is a natural 3 technique who played out of position in Bears' 3-4.

At this point, I think the Vikings have done a decent job ensuring that they have depth and competition at most positions. However, we still need to add a competent vet on the OL and a slot corner. We all saw the train wreck that happened last time when we lost Antoine Winfield and rolled the dice on his replacement, and we are razor thin depth-wise on the oline.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 3318
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 9:21:43 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

I'll wait and see if it gets Scott's approval first
Post #: 3319
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 10:14:19 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

How would the trekgeek feel if I messed with the Galaxy Quest?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3320
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 10:48:14 AM   
Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or, how about Aaron Rodger's great great great great grandson Buck from the 25th century?

"They put his picture up and the f*****s booed him"

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 3321
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 10:52:12 AM   
Burns

I like the Will Sutton signing - depending on who they cut from the 90 man roster to squeeze him in.

I remember him being someone I liked when he was drafted.

Who would have thought we would be moving forward with a former Packer, Bear, and Hawkeye, going at it to fill the 3 technique spot.

Post #: 3322
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 10:53:29 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indifferent.

Never seen it.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 3323
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 11:06:34 AM   
Burns

Interesting items on Will Sutton. Maybe more of a run stuffer than a 3 technique.

•A 2014 third-round pick of the Bears, DT Will Sutton was signed by the Vikings on Wednesday. Sutton has played 1,066 snaps in his three-year career as a rotational player before suffering an injury during the second half of 2016.

•Sutton, coming off of an ankle injury, was having his best performance to date last season. He earned overall grades of 44.2 and 43.7 in 2014 and 2015, respectively, and prior to injury sustained a 74.8 overall grade in 2016.

•The former Arizona State Sun Devil has never been known for his pass rushing as he had totaled just three QB pressures in 76 pass rushing snaps last year for a pass rush productivity of 3.0, 97th among defensive tackles.

•Before going down with an injury, in 174 snaps last season, Sutton posted a run stop percentage of 8.0, which only Linval Joseph would have bested on the Vikings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-minnesota-vikings-sign-former-bears-dt-will-sutton/

Post #: 3324
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/17/2017 1:15:13 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Interesting items on Will Sutton. Maybe more of a run stuffer than a 3 technique.

•A 2014 third-round pick of the Bears, DT Will Sutton was signed by the Vikings on Wednesday. Sutton has played 1,066 snaps in his three-year career as a rotational player before suffering an injury during the second half of 2016.

•Sutton, coming off of an ankle injury, was having his best performance to date last season. He earned overall grades of 44.2 and 43.7 in 2014 and 2015, respectively, and prior to injury sustained a 74.8 overall grade in 2016.

•The former Arizona State Sun Devil has never been known for his pass rushing as he had totaled just three QB pressures in 76 pass rushing snaps last year for a pass rush productivity of 3.0, 97th among defensive tackles.

•Before going down with an injury, in 174 snaps last season, Sutton posted a run stop percentage of 8.0, which only Linval Joseph would have bested on the Vikings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-minnesota-vikings-sign-former-bears-dt-will-sutton/

23 TFLs and 13 sacks his last year in college. Must not have translated to the Pros.
Post #: 3325
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode