Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2017 Twins Predictions

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> 2017 Twins Predictions Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 12:37:48 PM   
TJSweens

Predict everything from the number of Twins wins to the number of posts about Joe Mauer's off season conditioning to the number of calls for Falvey to be fired for the coming season.

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead.
Post #: 1
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 12:41:29 PM   
MDK

75 win, 1000 Mauer posts, 5000 calls for Falvey to be fired.

I reserve the right to change my win prediction before the start of the season.

I have no reason to change my predictions on Mauer or Falvey.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Post #: 2
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 12:45:13 PM   
TJSweens

Actually, Deep Thought, is still crunching the numbers to come up with the over / under on how many posts concerning any of Joe Mauer's, conditioning, attitude, contract, general worthlessness and preferred sex positions. There is an outside chance the number will available by the start of the season and a guarantee that it will be greater than 42.

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead.
Post #: 3
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 6:42:42 PM   
ewen21

There are a few Muaer posts in here already. I feel encouraged

Twins off-season: ZZzzzzzzz
Post #: 4
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 6:48:35 PM   
ewen21

I think 70 wins would be a major accomplishment.

On the Mauer front I pick June 16 for the over under on a DL stint

Post #: 5
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 8:22:54 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

I think you may have to put a zero behind your Mauer post prediction Miles. It may be closer to 10,000 than 1,000 and of that number, 50% will be from ewen.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 6
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 8:25:14 PM   
CPAMAN

I predict a fair-weather, regularly scheduled game this season with under 10,000 in attendance.

Post #: 7
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 8:26:17 PM   
CPAMAN

I predict Matt will report on no less than six new food items he tries including the Byuongho "Park it" Classic Burger.

Post #: 8
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/7/2017 8:33:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

Lyle asked me on Facebook for my prognosis on the Twins.

My reply was

Grim

Is going to be, since they did so little to improve a horrific pitching staff. They have overpaid slugs, a kid they over-thought and tinkered with success, and a bullpen that sucks.

Minnesota Sports: Home of Under-Achieving and Disappointment.
Post #: 9
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 5:25:32 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

I think you may have to put a zero behind your Mauer post prediction Miles. It may be closer to 10,000 than 1,000 and of that number, 50% will be from ewen.

I surely hope not

The last thing we need is some phantom injury saga a la bilateral leg weakness in 2011. 5,000 is a tall order even for me. A lot of things need to break right in order for me to hit that milestone.

As it stands today, my over/under on wins is 68. I don't see how we can expect much better than that. A whole lot of scenarios need to play out in the Twins favor in order for the team to be much better than last year

I would at least like to see them finish strong with they young players having a big part in that. Didn't the 2000 team sweep Cleveland at the end of the season? I would like to see some sort of sign this team is climbing out of the abyss. I have to use my imagination to see it now and that is not genuine or anything based in reality. It's nice to think positively and believe this team can play .500 ball, but it you think that way it can't be based on anything anyone has seen. This was a 103 loss team last year and it is virtually the same

Back to Mauer...
I think the Twins need to understand what a negative affect Joe has on everything. If young players are being asked to follow Joe's lead as a player then it is a huge problem. Even if they aren't it is not a good thing for any team to have a veteran like Joe Mauer operating under his own rules. It can't be a good thing for a player to take that laisse faire/nonshalant Mauer approach, thinking they are doing things as the Twins want, and then being benched or reprimanded. It creates a very confusing and unstable environment. There cannot be any true accountability unless Mauer is held accountable. One easy way to ensure some measure of accountability would be to sit Joe opening day, the explanation being....
We have to be careful. Everyone saw how Joe has worn down as the last few seasons have progressed. It is entirely too much to ask Joe to be a full time player. He was overworked last year. It will not happen again

Post #: 10
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 8:15:44 AM   
TJSweens

I regret to inform you all that there will be no published over/under for Joe Mauer posts. Deep Thought couldn't keep up with the ever changing variables and unable to live with its shame any longer, committed harikari ... or what ever passes for harikari with computers.

Post #: 11
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 8:30:55 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I regret to inform you all that there will be no published over/under for Joe Mauer posts. Deep Thought couldn't keep up with the ever changing variables and unable to live with its shame any longer, committed harikari ... or what ever passes for harikari with computers.

Format C

Minnesota Sports: Home of Under-Achieving and Disappointment.
Post #: 12
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:28:06 PM   
Steve Lentz

I don't know how we can ever read another Mauer post. We've read the same things over and over and............

I for one would like to see some posts on Buxton and Sano and Berrios, the future of the Twins.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 2/8/2017 3:30:04 PM >

"Do you expect me to talk? No Mr. Bond I expect you to die."
Post #: 13
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:32:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

He's spent exactly zero days on the DL the last two years combined.

Linval Joseph isn't a man...he is men
Post #: 14
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:35:11 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I don't know how we can ever read another Mauer post. We've read the same things over and over and............

I for one would like to see some posts on Buxton and Sano and Berrios, the future of the Twins.

Oh don't worry. We'll get to those busts ... er ... players before this is over.

Post #: 15
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:39:05 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Oh don't worry. We'll get to those busts ... er ... players before this is over.

"Do you expect me to talk? No Mr. Bond I expect you to die."
Post #: 16
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:45:45 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Except he road the bench for most of the last three weeks last season in order to not fall into the .250's for his BA. He was in free-fall mode early August to his final 2016 AB.

Post #: 17
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:47:43 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Exactly. And I take exception to this challenge as I thought I/we had adequately complained about each of those players a minimum of ten times each last season.

Post #: 18
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/8/2017 3:49:26 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Except he road the bench for most of the last three weeks last season in order to not fall into the .250's for his BA. He was in free-fall mode early August to his final 2016 AB.

Let's not revise history here.

If a middle reliever blows a lead, it typically goes in the books as a blown save. Sweeney is wrong.
Post #: 19
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/9/2017 7:25:06 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

These are Mauer's stats for September of 2016 season:

Mauer, J MIN 1B 12 45 4 5 2 0 1 2 8 10 0 0 .111 .245 .222 .468

How exactly am I revising history Matt? These are the facts. Joe was out of the lineup the final 18 or so games including the final October weekend series of 2016.

Post #: 20
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/10/2017 8:23:52 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How exactly am I revising history Matt? These are the facts. Joe was out of the lineup the final 18 or so games including the final October weekend series of 2016.

The games at that point meant nothing, so there was no point in putting any unnecessary stress on his body.

You can say I'm working with alternative facts, and that's fine, because that's the new norm.

If a middle reliever blows a lead, it typically goes in the books as a blown save. Sweeney is wrong.
Post #: 21
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/10/2017 12:51:07 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The games at that point meant nothing, so there was no point in putting any unnecessary stress on his body.

You can say I'm working with alternative facts, and that's fine, because that's the new norm.

Alternative facts? That sounds like another way of "spinning things your way in order for whatever events happens to come out in a way that meets your opinion". Or, disregard the facts entirely, "I see things my way and that is the way it actually happened".

< Message edited by CPAMAN -- 2/10/2017 12:54:22 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/10/2017 2:34:10 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alternative facts? That sounds like another way of "spinning things your way in order for whatever events happens to come out in a way that meets your opinion". Or, disregard the facts entirely, "I see things my way and that is the way it actually happened".

There's an entire Wikipedia page on it already. Trump's team works fast!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts

"Alternative facts" is a phrase used by U.S. Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway during a Meet the Press interview on January 22, 2017, in which she defended White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer's false statement about the attendance at Donald Trump's inauguration as President of the United States. When pressed during the interview with Chuck Todd to explain why Spicer "utter[ed] a provable falsehood", Conway stated that Spicer was giving "alternative facts." Todd responded, "Look, alternative facts are not facts. They're falsehoods."

Perfectly acceptable explanation.

Post #: 23
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/10/2017 2:39:50 PM   
MDK

http://www.twinkietown.com/2017/2/10/14561156/2017-minnesota-twins-mlb-pecota-peculiarities

a portion of the article

Baseball Prospectus released its PECOTA projections earlier this week, and Nate Silver’s prognostication engine dug the Twins, — surprising, given the 103-loss abomination from which the erstwhile Senators are rebounding.

The startlingly rosy projection largely stems from BP’s bullish view on the development of Twins youngsters Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Max Kepler, Jorge Polanco, Jose Berrios and Tyler Duffey and improvements wrought by the addition of new catcher Jason Castro.

Today I’m taking a look at the PECOTA numbers to highlight a few particularly noteworthy projections.

The reports of Jason Castro’s framing are not greatly exaggerated
The new regime’s big free-agent acquisition fit the “New sabermetrically inclined front office shakes things up” narrative quite nicely: they signed Jason Castro, a feeble-hitting catcher who could steal strikes with his excellent framing skills, embarking on exactly the kind of remodel that Falvey and Levine’s more archaic predecessors would have eschewed.

The 2016 Twins’ catchers — largely Kurt Suzuki with some Juan Centeno and John Ryan Murphy mixed in for bad measure — were worth -16.3 framing runs and -22.7 Fielding Runs Above Average last season, the second-worst mark in MLB, per Baseball Prospectus.

Here’s how Fangraphs illustrated the difference between Suzuki and Castro in the above linked article, using their Framing Runs metric:

SEE ATTACHED Photo at the end of the post

With Kepler, Buxton and Rosario playing a full season in the outfield and Castro behind the plate — the projected starting lineup that received the bulk of the playing time in BP’s simulations — the Twins are projected to be 35.1 Fielding Runs Above Average, good for the third-best defense in the majors. (That impressive number is calculated with Miguel Sano receiving 65% of the playing time at the hot corner, for what it’s worth.)

All told, PECOTA projects huge improvements for the Twins defense, and the bulk of that improvement comes from simply installing Jason Castro behind the plate.

The article goes on to discuss PECOTA's predictions for starting pitchers and also has a section on batting averages, a stat that Dick Bremer, Bert Blyleven and Mark love to embrace.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Post #: 24
RE: 2017 Twins Predictions - 2/10/2017 2:42:21 PM   
MDK

A 24 run differential between Castro and Suzuki is pretty significant. I don't think the framing stat includes ability to stop opponents running game.

Suzuki was a terrible defensive catcher.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> 2017 Twins Predictions Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode