Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2017 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2017 NBA Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 10:27:59 AM   
TJSweens

Who do we pick?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 10:42:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Who do we pick?

The obvious pick if we don't move into the Top 3 is Isaac.

Ideal fit. He defends, he rebounds, he can handle and pass the ball. He has great length for SF and should eventually fill out into a combo forward or even a guy who plays mostly PF.

Won't demand the ball on offense, but can score in multiple ways and knock down the 3.

Potentially a Draymond Green type of guy. Jack of all trades glue guy that can impact a game scoring 8 points, but has the talent to drop 30 on occasion.
Post #: 2
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 10:45:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

Heard two underclassmen that would have been high picks are staying in school.

Question is will Isaac still be on the board when we pick?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 10:47:47 AM   
David Levine

Jackson is probably the pick if we land 2 or 3.

Kind of the prototype SF - and the anti-Wiggins. He defends hard all game, rebounds, excellent passer, solid handle. Has potential as a scorer.

Might have a higher ceiling than Isaac, but probably a lower floor as well. Has red flags: Underdeveloped offensive game (bad FT shooter, questionable jumper, not much post game). He's a year older than the rest of the freshman class. Potentially ugly character issues.

I'm hoping we win the coin toss today, but kind of hope we don't move up (as long as we don't get jumped by multiple teams).
Post #: 4
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 10:51:27 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Heard two underclassmen that would have been high picks are staying in school.

Question is will Isaac still be on the board when we pick?

Isaac probably goes in the 7-9 range. The fact that he doesn't project to be a big-time scorer is going to lower his stock.

I think Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum are locks to go Top 4. Fox and Monk probably go ahead of Isaac too. Isaac should be in the next tier with Markkanen, Collins and Smith.

The underclassmen that dropped out (Bridges and Williams) were likely bottom of the lottery or just outside of it talent.
Post #: 5
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 12:39:10 PM   
TJSweens

There are a couple of mocks that have Isaac going in the top 5 right now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 12:50:42 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Honestly, DraftExpress (8th) is the only one I trust. And I'd even put Chad Ford (6th) ahead of just about everyone else.

Also almost none of the major mocks are anything more than "Big Boards" at this point. They just have the players ranked solely in a vacuum and the teams tentative order plugged in next to them. They won't take into account team needs/wants until after the lottery.
Post #: 7
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 12:54:39 PM   
TJSweens

Chad Ford? ... but he's an idiot

Post #: 8
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 12:58:12 PM   
Elliot

quote:

I haven't seen any like that. Makes me wonder who falls in that case.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 9
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 1:06:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Chad Ford? ... but he's an idiot

An idiot with connections.
Post #: 10
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 1:07:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft 5th to the Magic

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/17/15315122/nba-mock-draft-2017-knicks-76ers-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz #4 to the Celtics

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft #4 to the Magic

There are also mocks that have him going as late as 10th

Post #: 11
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 1:17:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft 5th to the Magic

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/17/15315122/nba-mock-draft-2017-knicks-76ers-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz #4 to the Celtics

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft #4 to the Magic

There are also mocks that have him going as late as 10th

And some of these don't make much sense. Philly's entire roster is SFs and PFs. Boston just drafted a guy to fill this role with the #3 pick last year. Orlando could make some sense, but he's a really odd fit next to Gordon and they have bigger needs.

The best thing we have going for us is that most of the teams ahead of us are dying for PGs and there could be 4 or 5 that go before our pick.

Also I'd be surprised if Isaac passes Jackson and/or Tatum, and I don't see 3 SFs going before our pick. And if Isaac does go before us, Tatum probably drops (even though he looks to be a lock to go 4 or 5).
Post #: 12
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 1:36:04 PM   
TJSweens

This will all start to take shape when teams start holding workouts. Players typically start to move up and down at this point. Quite often for no apparent reason.

Bottom line is that I am just happy that this draft shapes up to be about 1,000X better than last year's draft.

Post #: 13
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 2:19:24 PM   
Elliot

Wolves win the tiebreaker over the Knicks. :-)

~ John Lennon
Post #: 14
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 2:43:04 PM   
TJSweens

Post #: 15
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 2:46:25 PM   
Elliot

quote:

The cynic in me says it means nothing, because the Knicks will improve via the lottery.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 16
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 3:17:51 PM   
ruffenach

Good that we get a small break. It would be nice to move into the top 3, but I am only dreaming. I would prefer that we draft the best power forward and leave it go at that. Small forward appears to be set with Wiggins and Thibs apparently willing to resign his back up. We have plenty of everything else except for a power forward who can become a dominant man in 3-4 years.
Post #: 17
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 3:19:44 PM   
TJSweens

Even if we stay where we are, the options are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than last year. If as David says, Isaac is there when we pick, I would be really happy.

Post #: 18
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 3:51:52 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

Good that we get a small break. It would be nice to move into the top 3, but I am only dreaming. I would prefer that we draft the best power forward and leave it go at that. Small forward appears to be set with Wiggins and Thibs apparently willing to resign his back up. We have plenty of everything else except for a power forward who can become a dominant man in 3-4 years.

The top PF in the draft is probably Lauri Markkanen - who is a horrible fit next to Towns. After him, I guess Zach Collins.

Fortunately in his post season presser, Thibs alluded to bringing Zach (and Dieng) off the bench - which would let us draft and/or sign a SF to let Wiggins have the advantage of playing SG.

I really think Isaac is the pick and we sign a PF in free agency. Hopefully Millsap, but if not I'd guess one of Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic or maybe even JaMychal Green.
Post #: 19
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 3:59:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Wolves win the tiebreaker over the Knicks. :-)

Gives us a 95% chance to pick in the Top 7:

Wolves final lottery odds:

1st pick: 5.3 percent

2nd pick: 6.0 percent

3rd pick: 7.0 percent

6th pick: 43.9 percent

7th pick: 30.5 percent

8th pick: 5.0 percent

9th pick: .1 percent

Losing the flip would've given us a 25% chance to draft 8th, 9th or 10th.
Post #: 20
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 4:01:41 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

The top PF in the draft is probably Lauri Markkanen - who is a horrible fit next to Towns. After him, I guess Zach Collins.

Fortunately in his post season presser, Thibs alluded to bringing Zach (and Dieng) off the bench - which would let us draft and/or sign a SF to let Wiggins have the advantage of playing SG.

I really think Isaac is the pick and we sign a PF in free agency. Hopefully Millsap, but if not I'd guess one of Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic or maybe even JaMychal Green.

Maybe Patrick Patterson would be considered. Gibson would bring some toughness, which the Wolves desperately need. I'm not a big fan or Mirotic.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 21
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 4:09:41 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe Patrick Patterson would be considered. Gibson would bring some toughness, which the Wolves desperately need. I'm not a big fan or Mirotic.

I wouldn't hate Patterson. He's basically a pure 3&D PF. Lousy rebounder, surprisingly poor 2 point shooter. He's not a bad fit. I like Taj, but I'm not convinced playing him on the perimeter is the best move. Mirotic is kind of a better, younger Bjelica - and he played really well for Thibs.

Green is kind of the wild card. He's been sneaky good the past few years and had a breakout season this year. 9/7 in only 27 minutes, 38% from 3 on decent volume, good defender that can handle the perimeter. And I don't think he's a guy that Memphis would go into the luxury tax to match an offer sheet.
Post #: 22
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 4:15:59 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

Probably the ideal fit for Zach until he commits to playing defense. He comes off the bench and if he is shooting well and/or his +/- is good, he remains on the court.

In an earlier post I had mentioned guys like Tyson Chandler and Afflalo. Those guys would be good too for opposite reasons. If Towns and Wiggins get lazy on defense, yank them for players who aren't as talented but are willing to play hard on defense.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 23
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 4:23:00 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Probably the ideal fit for Zach until he commits to playing defense. He comes off the bench and if he is shooting well and/or his +/- is good, he remains on the court.

In an earlier post I had mentioned guys like Tyson Chandler and Afflalo. Those guys would be good too for opposite reasons. If Towns and Wiggins get lazy on defense, yank them for players who aren't as talented but are willing to play hard on defense.

Unfortunately neither is a FA. Chandler is going to turn 35 before the season starts and has 2 more years remaining. Afflalo has 1 more (unless the Kings decide to waive his partially guaranteed deal).
Post #: 24
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 4/18/2017 4:32:30 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately neither is a FA. Chandler is going to turn 35 before the season starts and has 2 more years remaining. Afflalo has 1 more (unless the Kings decide to waive his partially guaranteed deal).

Yep. Thibs has his work cut out for him. I think he needs to find someone who can be inserted if KAT and/or Wiggins ignore defense. When you've got no depth and these guys produce 60-70% of your offense, you can't do that and expect to win. But he's got to do something to remedy that situation.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2017 NBA Draft Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode