Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 7:49:43 PM   
David Levine

Oh right. He threatened to quit if they traded Klay.
Post #: 1251
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 8:56:35 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

I find it amusing that the the Lakers think every FA wants to play for them and that's their method to rebuilding or re-tooling.

Give or take a recent five year period, its actually true.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1252
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 8:59:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

I find it amusing that the the Lakers think every FA wants to play for them and that's their method to rebuilding or re-tooling.

*cough* 20 year period...
Post #: 1253
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:02:47 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I'll bet you a soda on that.

Even if both Griffin & Paul leave (Which I doubt) I can't believe the Logo would run away from a challenge.

This ain't Phil Jackson who needs a completely stocked roster to succeed.

Balmer will give West all the money he needs to go after even LeBron next year.

Imagine if he steals Paul George out from under the Lakers....

I could see that happening very easily.

I don't see Paul leaving, however I'm not as good with the absolute's as Ian, but my premonition is that either Jordan or Griffin or both are gone.

They'll be as active as anyone..

I don't.

Paul George is from and grew up here. During that time, the team that was on top and owned this city was the Lakers. Dudes that grew up here in the late 80s and early 90s and llayed basketball idolized the Lakers. Its not just about playing in this city; it's about the legacy of the Lakers and those players carrying it.

If it's all the same, where both teams can pay the same money, a conversation with Jerry West isn't going to swing shit towards the Clippers. Not happening.

Believe.
Post #: 1254
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:04:31 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if both Griffin & Paul leave (Which I doubt) I can't believe the Logo would run away from a challenge.

I don't see Paul leaving, however I'm not as good with the absolute's as Ian, but my premonition is that either Jordan or Griffin or both are gone.

I don't.

Paul George is from and grew up here. During that time, the team that was on top and owned this city was the Lakers. Dudes that grew up here in the late 80s and early 90s and llayed basketball idolized the Lakers. Its not just about playing in this city; it's about the legacy of the Lakers and those players carrying it.

If it's all the same, where both teams can pay the same money, a conversation with Jerry West isn't going to swing shit towards the Clippers. Not happening.

He was a Clippers fan growing up....
Post #: 1255
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:10:35 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

Negative. And you, having roots here, should know better.

Believe.
Post #: 1256
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:11:55 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't.

First I've heard that. That's never been stated in any local media I've read.

Believe.
Post #: 1257
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:15:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Negative. And you, having roots here, should know better.

I don't count over the hill ring chasers like Karl Malone and Gary Payton trying to ride Shaq and Kobe's coattails.

Name one significant FA other than Dwight Howard that the Lakers have signed since Shaq.
Post #: 1258
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:25:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't.

First I've heard that. That's never been stated in any local media I've read.

From his bio on his official website: Although George idolized Lakers star Kobe Bryant, he grew up rooting for the Los Angeles Clippers.

Yahoo: And one of the league’s worst-kept secrets is that the Lakers have a strong appeal for George given their proximity to his hometown of Palmdale, Calif., and his affinity for Kobe Bryant, even though George actually grew up a fan of the Clippers.

Sports Illustrated: The Los Angeles Clippers were the favorite team of Paul George when he was growing up in the area. The Clippers could have selected George in the 2010 NBA Draft, but instead selected Al-Farouq Aminu. “I’m happy where I’m at being here but (the Clippers) were one of the teams that did overlook me,” George said. “So I always have that in the back of my mind when I play them.”

DraftExpress before his draft: With teams such as the Los Angeles Clippers (his favorite team growing up), Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies and Milwaukee Bucks all looking for a dynamic swingman who can create, shoot and defend, the chance of George being picked in the 8-15 range looks very good at the moment.
Post #: 1259
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:35:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

I love Jerry West, but he's old. I don't think he has it in him to start from scratch with a new, young team.

And the Warriors success makes you forget he was in Memphis. They were good, but they never won.

How quickly we forget my young friend...

Jerry West is a freaking wizard. Memphis was pretty close, and it's no coincidence they haven't improved once he put them together.

Golden State was a dumpster fire for years. Look how good/ deep there are now.

Have you heard West interviewed? He's sharp as hell. It's not like he has to run the fast break.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but West would still be my FIRST choice to run my team. If you take out the San Antonio front office he's miles ahead of everybody.

Appears CP3 doesn't think too much of West being he is opting out.

He might want to rethink what he is doing.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1260
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:38:10 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

I love Jerry West, but he's old. I don't think he has it in him to start from scratch with a new, young team.

And the Warriors success makes you forget he was in Memphis. They were good, but they never won.

Jerry West is a freaking wizard. Memphis was pretty close, and it's no coincidence they haven't improved once he put them together.

Have you heard West interviewed? He's sharp as hell. It's not like he has to run the fast break.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but West would still be my FIRST choice to run my team. If you take out the San Antonio front office he's miles ahead of everybody.

He was going to opt out no matter what. Bigger pay day doing that no matter where he ends up.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 1261
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:39:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's opting out because everyone (that isn't grossly OVERpaid) opts out.

He's under an old CBA contract, so he's seeing lesser PGs making 10M/year more than him.

And at his age, I'm sure he'd rather lock in a new 4 year deal now than risk waiting a year to do the same.
Post #: 1262
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/24/2017 9:42:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was going to opt out no matter what. Bigger pay day doing that no matter where he ends up.

Ahh... show me the money!!!

After what West did with GS I think I would resign if I were Paul. But don't hamstring the team with a max contract.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1263
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 6:23:35 AM   
ruffenach

For most players, it is all about the money. The cap appears to be static or declining. As teams spend money they don't have it to offer players. So Paul's best option is to opt out now, even if he wants to resign with the Clippers.
Post #: 1264
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:00:55 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Has someone said they think every free agent wants to play for the Lakers?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1265
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:28:59 AM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't.

As DL clearly shows be careful to paint too broad a brush.

Not everyone in LA went weak in the knees for the Lake show. See Billy Crystal-

I'd actually expect George to sign with the Lakers if all he was going on was a "meeting" with the GM's as you put it.

Magic is even a generation before PG's favorite player (Kobe), so in retrospect West would be akin to the Stone Age.

If my favorite childhood team, in my hometown was pursuing me it might certainly tilt my decision slightly, however having a GM that has put together three successive franchises towards Championship contention, two of which winning multiple titles, and an owner with the wherewithal of Steve Balmer make the Clippers a hugely attractive destination for George especially.

The one caveat will be who is left when the dust settles on the Clippers when George is ready to make his decision. With Paul/Griffin the Clippers have the much better roster which in the end IMO will be the determining factor.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1266
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:40:11 AM   
Sandman

Paul George is overrated. Who cares about Paul George? Jimmy Butler is worlds better!
Post #: 1267
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:43:13 AM   
Sandman

I watched some of the Pacers Cavs series. Where was Paul George?
Post #: 1268
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:56:10 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Paul George is overrated. Who cares about Paul George? Jimmy Butler is worlds better!

Paul George is VERY good and has one big advantage on Jimmy Butler. He makes 2.6 threes a game at almost 40% and 90% FTs. He is a very efficient scorer. Jimmy has his advantages as well, but is not in most opinions worlds better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1269
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 9:56:30 AM   
quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Jimmy Butler 22 pts 7 reb 4 assists

Paul George 28 pts 9 reb 7 assists

Neither one had great talent around them...

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1270
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 10:01:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Rather shocking seeing those 7 assists per game in the playoffs. He only averaged 3.3 during the season. I think people misinterpret assists as a sign of unselfishness for a player. Sometimes it's just a sign of ball dominance. I am guessing George became even more ball dominant in the playoffs.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1271
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 10:26:29 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Butler will have two other potential all stars surrounding him and a point guard to get him the ball in the best position to shoot. George, if he signs with the Lakers will not have this. Other may sign there, but others may sign with the Wolves as well.
Post #: 1272
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 10:41:57 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Butler will have two other potential all stars surrounding him and a point guard to get him the ball in the best position to shoot. George, if he signs with the Lakers will not have this. Other may sign there, but others may sign with the Wolves as well.

Spot on!

Butler is in a great place, and perhaps he can impart on the young Wolves HOW to win in the NBA. Happy for you guys, not so happy for my boys if the Wolves learn how to win too much...

Unless Ball turns out to be the next Magic Johnson I don't see the sum of parts around the Lakers that adding George would immediately vault them into contention.

Contention being getting to the Western Conference finals vs the Warriors...before the obvious end.

Post #: 1273
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 10:59:06 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Yes. Every year. It doesn't pop up here that much because there isn't a ton of Lakers talk on a Timberwolves forum...But go outside our insular community and its rampant.

"Oh just wait until LeBron/Garnett/Durant/Love/Westbrook/whatever star is currently a FA signs with the Lakers"...

I lived in the middle of it for 10 years. I have tons of friends that still live there. There is a very prevailing thought that every star wants to end up in LA, will take less money to join the Lakers and if they have any affiliation with the city whatsoever has always dreamed of being a Laker. And honestly, over the past 2 decades it hasn't been true.

The Lakers have an absolutely amazing history. Probably Top 5 in all sports, but a lot of their fanbase is incredibly entitled.
Post #: 1274
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:11:46 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Yes. Every year. It doesn't pop up here that much because there isn't a ton of Lakers talk on a Timberwolves forum...But go outside our insular community and its rampant.

"Oh just wait until LeBron/Garnett/Durant/Love/Westbrook/whatever star is currently a FA signs with the Lakers"...

I lived in the middle of it for 10 years. I have tons of friends that still live there. There is a very prevailing thought that every star wants to end up in LA, will take less money to join the Lakers and if they have any affiliation with the city whatsoever has always dreamed of being a Laker. And honestly, over the past 2 decades it hasn't been true.

The Lakers have an absolutely amazing history. Probably Top 5 in all sports, but a lot of their fanbase is incredibly entitled.

Sorry to the Lakers fans on this board, but Lakers fans are the worst fans in sports IMO. They think they are entitled as DL says to every great player in the league. Every Laker fan I knew expected KG to join them. Then when Love was emerging they expected Love to Join them. It just got sickening.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1275
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode