Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:11:46 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

I watched some of the Pacers Cavs series. Where was Paul George?

2017 Playoffs-

Jimmy Butler 22 pts 7 reb 4 assists

Paul George 28 pts 9 reb 7 assists

Neither one had great talent around them...

Rather shocking seeing those 7 assists per game in the playoffs. He only averaged 3.3 during the season. I think people misinterpret assists as a sign of unselfishness for a player. Sometimes it's just a sign of ball dominance. I am guessing George became even more ball dominant in the playoffs.

Would you say that LeBron dominates the ball and pads his stats?
Post #: 1276
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:15:07 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

I find it amusing that the the Lakers think every FA wants to play for them and that's their method to rebuilding or re-tooling.

Has someone said they think every free agent wants to play for the Lakers?

Yes. Every year. It doesn't pop up here that much because there isn't a ton of Lakers talk on a Timberwolves forum...But go outside our insular community and its rampant.

"Oh just wait until LeBron/Garnett/Durant/Love/Westbrook/whatever star is currently a FA signs with the Lakers"...

I lived in the middle of it for 10 years. I have tons of friends that still live there. There is a very prevailing thought that every star wants to end up in LA, will take less money to join the Lakers and if they have any affiliation with the city whatsoever has always dreamed of being a Laker. And honestly, over the past 2 decades it hasn't been true.

The Lakers have an absolutely amazing history. Probably Top 5 in all sports, but a lot of their fanbase is incredibly entitled.

Sorry to the Lakers fans on this board, but Lakers fans are the worst fans in sports IMO. They think they are entitled as DL says to every great player in the league. Every Laker fan I knew expected KG to join them. Then when Love was emerging they expected Love to Join them. It just got sickening.

Plenty of bandwagon fans out there but I have been a fan ever since Kareem joined them in 1975.

And yes. I want good players to play for the Lakers.
Post #: 1277
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:16:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Rather shocking seeing those 7 assists per game in the playoffs. He only averaged 3.3 during the season. I think people misinterpret assists as a sign of unselfishness for a player. Sometimes it's just a sign of ball dominance. I am guessing George became even more ball dominant in the playoffs.

Would you say that LeBron dominates the ball and pads his stats?

LeBron does dominate the ball because he is so good with it. He plays the game the way it should be played. Shoots when he should shoot. Passes when he should pass. Possibly the best to ever play the game. Now take his teammate Kyrie Irving for example. He has sensational ball handling and scoring skills, but if he could learn to pass when he should pass he would be a way better player than he is now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1278
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:18:36 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I find it amusing that the the Lakers think every FA wants to play for them and that's their method to rebuilding or re-tooling.

Yes. Every year. It doesn't pop up here that much because there isn't a ton of Lakers talk on a Timberwolves forum...But go outside our insular community and its rampant.

"Oh just wait until LeBron/Garnett/Durant/Love/Westbrook/whatever star is currently a FA signs with the Lakers"...

I lived in the middle of it for 10 years. I have tons of friends that still live there. There is a very prevailing thought that every star wants to end up in LA, will take less money to join the Lakers and if they have any affiliation with the city whatsoever has always dreamed of being a Laker. And honestly, over the past 2 decades it hasn't been true.

The Lakers have an absolutely amazing history. Probably Top 5 in all sports, but a lot of their fanbase is incredibly entitled.

Sorry to the Lakers fans on this board, but Lakers fans are the worst fans in sports IMO. They think they are entitled as DL says to every great player in the league. Every Laker fan I knew expected KG to join them. Then when Love was emerging they expected Love to Join them. It just got sickening.

Plenty of bandwagon fans out there but I have been a fan ever since Kareem joined them in 1975.

I was a big Laker fan in the Magic days, because he plays the game right IMO. I was a fan of the Lakers in the Vlade Divac Nick van Exel and Ced Ceballos days because those guys were so fun to watch.
Wanting players to play for you is fine. Expecting every great player to come to you is just sickening to listen to and as DL pointed out it hardly ever happens anyway. This Laker fan stuff where they consider every other team in the league to be their own personal farm teams doesn't sit well with fans of other teams. How about some respect.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/25/2017 11:23:56 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1279
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:24:57 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was a big Laker fan in the Magic days, because he plays the game right IMO. I was a fan of the Lakers in the Vlade Divac Nick van Exel and Ced Ceballos days because those guys were so fun to watch.
Wanting players to play for you is fine. Expecting every great player to come to you is just sickening to listen to and as DL pointed out it hardly ever happens anyway.

I can see your point.

I'm not a big fan of people changing teams(unless contraction is involved) but to each his own. And many people think that is OK.
Post #: 1280
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:27:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wanting players to play for you is fine. Expecting every great player to come to you is just sickening to listen to and as DL pointed out it hardly ever happens anyway.

I can see your point.

I'm not a big fan of people changing teams(unless contraction is involved) but to each his own. And many people think that is OK.

Thanks Mark, I expanded on my reasons for in general disliking Laker fans to mention they seem to think every other team in the league is a farm team for the Lakers. That is just so disrespectful.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1281
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:34:10 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

It used to be that way. A long, long time ago.

Have they attracted a top flight FA other than Dwight Howard since Shaq (over 20 years ago)?

Maybe I've been too hard on Kupchak.

2 titles since end of Shaq era without any marquee FAs. Not bad.
Post #: 1282
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:36:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have they attracted a top flight FA other than Dwight Howard since Shaq (over 20 years ago)?

It was the Gasol trade that did it. Marc ended up being real good, but at the time of the trade Pau was far superior.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1283
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 11:41:59 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. That should be every fan of any team.

And I'm not trying to paint all Laker fans with the same brush. Just that there is a very large, very loud subset of super entitled fans that aren't doing the rest of the fans any favors.
Post #: 1284
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:05:18 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Butler will have two other potential all stars surrounding him and a point guard to get him the ball in the best position to shoot. George, if he signs with the Lakers will not have this. Other may sign there, but others may sign with the Wolves as well.

Defenses will take away the weapons, leaving the career 37% shooter and 31% three-point shooter wide open.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1285
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:08:56 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Probably some truth to that.

A legacy of winning will do that to you. However, I don't think Lakers fans are bad fans. I think fans of other teams are just jealous. The same could be said about the Patriots and Yankees.

Lets face it, there is a lot of advantages to playing in Los Angeles and having the Lakers be great. You think the league would have been happy if Cleveland was playing Oklahoma City in the finals?

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/25/2017 12:12:15 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1286
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:20:39 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was the Gasol trade that did it. Marc ended up being real good, but at the time of the trade Pau was far superior.

That's the thing with the Lakers in the past 20 years, as David was sort of alluding to. The Lakers' championships were orchestrated through trades, not free agency. Becuz the salary cap was lower and managed different, the Lakers couldn't just sign marquee free agents; they had money tied up in existing players. The only time they had money to spend was when they re-upped Kobe Bryant, after he flirted with joining the Clippers.

The Lakers won their three Shaq and Kobe rings, in large part to the Glen Rice trades. The 2nd two with Kobe were the result of the Shaq trade, though I thought the Ariza trade was huge in 2009.

Kupchak was masterful at trades. And it seemed easy and inevitable he'd always land another star. It just never happened after Howard. Thus began the spiral that we are now at the end of.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 1287
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:33:01 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the thing with the Lakers in the past 20 years, as David was sort of alluding to. The Lakers' championships were orchestrated through trades, not free agency. Becuz the salary cap was lower and managed different, the Lakers couldn't just sign marquee free agents; they had money tied up in existing players. The only time they had money to spend was when they re-upped Kobe Bryant, after he flirted with joining the Clippers.

The Lakers won their three Shaq and Kobe rings, in large part to the Glen Rice trades. The 2nd two with Kobe were the result of the Shaq trade, though I thought the Ariza trade was huge in 2009.

Kupchak was masterful at trades. And it seemed easy and inevitable he'd always land another star. It just never happened after Howard. Thus began the spiral that we are now at the end of.

The Spiral that Lakers fans hope they are at the end of.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1288
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:34:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

Butler will have two other potential all stars surrounding him and a point guard to get him the ball in the best position to shoot. George, if he signs with the Lakers will not have this. Other may sign there, but others may sign with the Wolves as well.

Defenses will take away the weapons, leaving the career 37% shooter and 31% three-point shooter wide open.

You're going to lose a lot of games leaving a 37% three-point shooter wide-open.

Butler, Wiggins, Towns, Dieng and Jones were all above league-average on catch-and-shoot 3s last year. Even Rubio hits them at ~35% (and was over 40% post ASG last year).

Commit that much defense to stopping Butler Wiggins or KAT and you'll get hurt.
Post #: 1289
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:38:46 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess that might all hold water if the biggest piece to the puzzle (Shaq) weren't acquired through free agency...
Post #: 1290
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:39:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

2017 Playoffs-

You're going to lose a lot of games leaving a 37% three-point shooter wide-open.

Butler, Wiggins, Towns, Dieng and Jones were all above league-average on catch-and-shoot 3s last year. Even Rubio hits them at ~35% (and was over 40% post ASG last year).

Commit that much defense to stopping Butler Wiggins or KAT and you'll get hurt.

Even if Rubio was as bad a shooter as Brad is trying to pretend he is it's irrelevant. Defenses can't take away all three of KAT, Butler, and Wiggins. Especially not with possibly the best passer in the NBA getting the ball to them in great offensive position.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1291
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:41:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess that might all hold water if the biggest piece to the puzzle (Shaq) weren't acquired through free agency...

However, that was one instance 20 years ago.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1292
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:42:03 PM   
Ian Joseph

I expect the Wolves to be better. They will be a playoff team for sure.

Can they win their division? Can they avoid a first round matchup against Golden State, Houston, or San Antonio? That's what most interests me with the Wolves in 2017-18.

Believe.
Post #: 1293
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:43:22 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose, except Shaq was there 4 years before they won a ring. If anything, the biggest free agent acquisition was Phil Jackson.

Believe.
Post #: 1294
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:44:32 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kobe is the most recent. There was a real nervousness he was leaving the Lakers.

Believe.
Post #: 1295
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:47:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Can they win their division? Can they avoid a first round matchup against Golden State, Houston, or San Antonio? That's what most interests me with the Wolves in 2017-18.

I just care about making the playoffs this year. Butler and Cole (all of 102 minutes) are the only players we have on the roster that have playoff experience. We need to get the kids a taste of (and get used to) winning at the NBA level. Anything beyond that is grave for 2017-18.

Butler gives us a likely 7 year window with him, the kids extend that.

Now depending on what we do in free agency, I may modify my season goals.
Post #: 1296
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:48:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kobe is the most recent. There was a real nervousness he was leaving the Lakers.

Yes. You kept your own FA (that you could offer WAY more money to than anyone else). Welcome to the NBA....
Post #: 1297
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 12:48:43 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose, except Shaq was there 4 years before they won a ring. If anything, the biggest free agent acquisition was Phil Jackson.

I sure know I would've loved to have played the Lakers in the conference finals against Eldon Campbell at center, and Phil Jackson as Coach then Shaq at center, and Mr Magoo at Coach.
Post #: 1298
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 1:16:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I don't consider Houston to be anything special as they are now. Clippers could be broken up. If we play near our potential we should have a first round homecourt.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1299
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 6/25/2017 1:18:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I just care about making the playoffs this year. Butler and Cole (all of 102 minutes) are the only players we have on the roster that have playoff experience. We need to get the kids a taste of (and get used to) winning at the NBA level. Anything beyond that is grave for 2017-18.

Butler gives us a likely 7 year window with him, the kids extend that.

Now depending on what we do in free agency, I may modify my season goals.

I'm greedy but in general
+1000

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode