Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:41:43 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

(have to get some rubs in here ..)
So, now, the Celts are thinking ... just one guy, we are just one guy away ....
Guess who they think of?
Gordon Hayward.
Hmmm.
No bigger Hayward lover than this cat. Just sayin ... hmmm.

They've been heavily rumored to be going after Hayward hard in free agency for years now.

Fully aware
Post #: 176
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:44:26 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Jonathan Givony ✔ @DraftExpress
Word out of LA is Lonzo Ball is heavy favorite at #2, but will take a long hard look at De'Aaron Fox too. Hoping for a head to head workout.
7:11 AM - 17 May 2017

3 thoughts:

1. I'd absolutely take Fox over Ball. I wouldn't take either at #2.

2. Fox/Russell is potentially an intriguing combination. Ball/Russell is potentially an intriguing dumpster fire.

3. I will literally laugh my ass off when LaVar goes apeshit over the Lakers passing on his kid.

I think everybody would love to see the Lakers pass on Ball.

It would be funny but Magic sees way too much of himself in Lonzo. No way they pass.

I really want the Lakers to take him.

If Lakers get can get George and Ball, they will make playoffs before Wolves do.

I'm not so sure. If they do it would be a hell of an accomplishment for George. I don't like much the Lakers would have around him.

(I also think any trade for George will be built around the #2 pick.)

Plus its way to early to guess about the offseason. I think the Wolves have a decent shot at the Playoffs this year.

Like I said before, I think Bird would jump at the chance for Russell and Randle or Ingram and #28. Maybe I'm off base.
Post #: 177
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:45:42 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

(have to get some rubs in here ..)
So, now, the Celts are thinking ... just one guy, we are just one guy away ....
Guess who they think of?
Gordon Hayward.
Hmmm.
No bigger Hayward lover than this cat. Just sayin ... hmmm.

They've been heavily rumored to be going after Hayward hard in free agency for years now.

Fully aware

It would be an upset if Hayward went somewhere other than Boston. Stevens seals the deal.
Post #: 178
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:47:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Like I said before, I think Bird would jump at the chance for Russell and Randle or Ingram and #28. Maybe I'm off base.

I'd bet Bird has turned down better offers.

But say he takes Russell and Ingram, that doesn't leave much talent around George. Does George want to play in LA so badly that he'll be willing to wait out a bad team and hope for the best? Or does he bolt after the season for a chance to join a contender?
Post #: 179
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:52:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

But say he takes Russell and Ingram, that doesn't leave much talent around George. Does George want to play in LA so badly that he'll be willing to wait out a bad team and hope for the best? Or does he bolt after the season for a chance to join a contender?

Maybe I'm a homer but I think Zubac can be a star and Nance a solid, above average defender and improving shooter. Throw in Ball, Clarkson, George(in his prime) and Randle and that is a pretty good core.

Only thing holding Lakers back is idiotic contracts to Deng and Movgov.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 5/17/2017 4:53:26 PM >
Post #: 180
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:56:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe I'm a homer but I think Zubac can be a star and Nance a solid, above average defender and improving shooter. Throw in Ball, Clarkson, George(in his prime) and Randle and that is a pretty good core.

Feels to me like a star surrounded by a bunch of roleplayers. I like Zubac and Nance a lot (more than Ball, Clarkson and Randle), but I think that team is missing its 2nd star and maybe even its 3rd guy.
Post #: 181
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 4:59:39 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Feels to me like a star surrounded by a bunch of roleplayers. I like Zubac and Nance a lot (more than Ball, Clarkson and Randle), but I think that team is missing its 2nd star and maybe even its 3rd guy.

Obviously Ball has to be a star.

The weird release is a concern but the speed and court vision will bring Showtime back to LA. IMO.
Post #: 182
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:01:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The weird release is a concern but the speed and court vision will bring Showtime back to LA. IMO.

I see Ball as a young Jason Kidd without the defense or ability to get to the basket. If that's the case, he could be really bad.

I don't see a star at all. He's the guy in the lottery that I'm most leery about.
Post #: 183
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:06:32 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see Ball as a young Jason Kidd without the defense or ability to get to the basket. If that's the case, he could be really bad.

I don't see a star at all. He's the guy in the lottery that I'm most leery about.

Really? I think he is an above average athlete that will thrive in the Pro game.

You are pretty solid on your basketball takes so maybe he isn't the slam dunk I think he is.
Post #: 184
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:11:23 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

Bird is gone and not making the decisions in Indiana anymore, unless I'm mistaken. In any event, I doubt Bird or his replacement make that deal.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 185
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:14:40 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Ball can get to the basket. But we'll see if he can defend like Kidd. The biggest thing for me is the mental toughness.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 186
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:19:42 PM   
SoMnFan

Same thoughts about DLs take on Ball ...
I didn't think you'd be down on him.
I see things that might work pretty well in the NBA.
But if you say he'll struggle, I won't be surprised.
Aren't REALLY high picks supposed to be more "sure things" than they are lately?
Game seems to have changed that way.
I know we've seen colossal busts at the top of drafts, but every year lately, it seems like a scary crap shoot.
Post #: 187
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:19:52 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? I think he is an above average athlete that will thrive in the Pro game.

You are pretty solid on your basketball takes so maybe he isn't the slam dunk I think he is.

He struggles getting to the basket against college players. He's got a poor first step and he needs to build up a good head of steam to really get rolling (part of why he excels in transition). When he does score inside its mostly from being off the ball because he's an excellent cutter.

Most of his scoring is either catch and shoot or step back jumpers because he needs a lot of time time and space to get his shot off - he has a really low release AND he comes across his body. He doesn't shoot well off the dribble or create for himself with the bounce.

As a scorer he's WAY better when he's off the ball. You almost want him to play with another PG (like UCLA did with Aaron Holiday) in the halfcourt.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 5/17/2017 5:31:02 PM >
Post #: 188
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:23:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Ball can get to the basket. But we'll see if he can defend like Kidd. The biggest thing for me is the mental toughness.

He can't that's why I said "without the defense".

He's awful on that end. He crashes the defensive glass hard, and he'll play for steals, but he absolutely can't stop dribble penetration, and he's Zach LaVine like when it comes to recognizing and fighting through screens. He also tends to look lazy on that end.
Post #: 189
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:25:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bird is gone and not making the decisions in Indiana anymore, unless I'm mistaken. In any event, I doubt Bird or his replacement make that deal.

Bird is hanging around as an advisor, but Kurt's old guy, Kevin Pritchard is the new GM as of last month.
Post #: 190
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:29:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Aren't REALLY high picks supposed to be more "sure things" than they are lately?
I know we've seen colossal busts at the top of drafts, but every year lately, it seems like a scary crap shoot.

They used to be when they were 3 and 4 year college players. But now everyone wants these 19 year old kids that have a ton of natural skill, but no idea how to play. Freshmen that don't even start for their teams are going lottery (LaVine, Collins, etc). As are 18 year old foreign kids that barely played on teams full of 30 year-old men.

Its a lot more projecting than production now.
Post #: 191
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:34:24 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

They used to be when they were 3 and 4 year college players. But now everyone wants these 19 year old kids that have a ton of natural skill, but no idea how to play. Freshmen that don't even start for their teams are going lottery (LaVine, Collins, etc). As are 18 year old foreign kids that barely played on teams full of 30 year-old men.

Nailed it ... that's what I was wondering too, how much of that impact we are seeing.
Agreed. Too large of a pool of "can they really play"? guys.
Post #: 192
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:45:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nailed it ... that's what I was wondering too, how much of that impact we are seeing.
Agreed. Too large of a pool of "can they really play"? guys.

Teams are actually looking at what kids did in High School because their college tapes are so limited...
Post #: 193
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 5:47:34 PM   
Elliot

There's also a much greater emphasis on background checks and mental make-up stuff.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 194
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 6:12:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

There's also a much greater emphasis on background checks and mental make-up stuff.

Does it affect much? It still feels to me like teams will go out of their way to ignore/explain away red flags.

No one seems to care that Josh Jackson followed a girl to her car and then smashed it after she locked herself inside to get away from him. Ball's dad doesn't seem to be hurting his stock.
Post #: 195
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 6:21:13 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

Does it affect much? It still feels to me like teams will go out of their way to ignore/explain away red flags.

No one seems to care that Josh Jackson followed a girl to her car and then smashed it after she locked herself inside to get away from him. Ball's dad doesn't seem to be hurting his stock.

I think it still plays a role, absolutely. To be sure, it depends upon the team and environment for a draftee, but yeah. Most of these kids have won everywhere they've played. How are they going to handle adversity? So they get drafted by a team that sucks. And that team is going to lose a lot. So what's that kids mental make-up? Is he going to tough it out and become a leader or is he going the route of Christian Laettner? In this regard, the Celtics have a huge advantage because they're not only drafting first, but they also get to bring their draftee into a position where they can play him as needed. The Lakers, not so much. They have to play their draftee no matter what.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 196
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 6:30:06 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He struggles getting to the basket against college players. He's got a poor first step and he needs to build up a good head of steam to really get rolling (part of why he excels in transition). When he does score inside its mostly from being off the ball because he's an excellent cutter.

Most of his scoring is either catch and shoot or step back jumpers because he needs a lot of time time and space to get his shot off - he has a really low release AND he comes across his body. He doesn't shoot well off the dribble or create for himself with the bounce.

As a scorer he's WAY better when he's off the ball. You almost want him to play with another PG (like UCLA did with Aaron Holiday) in the halfcourt.

Sounds like someone in the Lakers' FO.

I think Magic thinks he can re-create Showtime with this guy. Maybe that's a mistake in a 3 point shooting, illegal pick and roll modern NBA.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 5/17/2017 6:31:23 PM >
Post #: 197
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 6:48:52 PM   
shakeywalton

Watching some tape on Isaac, Monk, Markkanen and Dennis Smith Jr. and I'm now fully on board with Dennis Smith Jr. if he's there.

Could be the best PG in the draft.
Post #: 198
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 6:55:40 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

Watching some tape on Isaac, Monk, Markkanen and Dennis Smith Jr. and I'm now fully on board with Dennis Smith Jr. if he's there.

Might be our last chance to address PG, long term.
But what then of Dunn?

I'm OK with BPA, if no Isaac, then Smith if he's BPA,
but then you have to move Rubio or Dunn or both.

Is there a market or fair value market for those two?
I ask because I don't know, but I have my doubts on that.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 199
RE: 2017 NBA Draft - 5/17/2017 7:07:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

He'll be there. I like him, but would be disappointed with the pick.
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2017 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode