Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/22/2018 10:44:57 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Honestly, Thibs is more the focus of my ire over this. He had a master distributor with a massive BBIQ and one of the best defensive points in the league in the middle of 3 scorers. Thibs unloaded him for a draft pick and signed a shoot first PG with a low BBIQ and a terrible defender, eating up considerably more cap space in the process. faTeague is just the symptom. Thibs is the disease.

The single most obvious blown move on so many levels. And for most this is not MMQBing, so to speak. Once we got Butler, there was absolutely no reason to make that move, there aren't enough backetballs, AND Rubio would control the ball enough that Butler wouldn't have to be expending as much energy controlling the ball for entire possessions.

Butler refused to play with Rubio. It was a condition of Butler accepting the trade.

55% of Republicans think the Earth is 5,000 years old. All kinds of people believe all kinds of crazy things. You just gotta move on, man.

-James Carville - 12/15/20 - The Beat with Ari Melber
Post #: 3301
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 8:55:39 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Honestly, Thibs is more the focus of my ire over this. He had a master distributor with a massive BBIQ and one of the best defensive points in the league in the middle of 3 scorers. Thibs unloaded him for a draft pick and signed a shoot first PG with a low BBIQ and a terrible defender, eating up considerably more cap space in the process. faTeague is just the symptom. Thibs is the disease.

The single most obvious blown move on so many levels. And for most this is not MMQBing, so to speak. Once we got Butler, there was absolutely no reason to make that move, there aren't enough backetballs, AND Rubio would control the ball enough that Butler wouldn't have to be expending as much energy controlling the ball for entire possessions.

Butler refused to play with Rubio. It was a condition of Butler accepting the trade.

What's the source for that? It sounds like fan rumor stuff.

C’mon man
Post #: 3302
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 9:23:48 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it's Matt made it up stuff. I don't think Butler could do anything to nix the trade if he wanted to.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3303
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 9:26:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I still don't get how so many think Teague is worse than Rubio? I haven't seen one thing to prove it yet. They each have their plus and minuses and Teague has played well against CPIII.....Rubio has done the same against Russ.

I want both guards to succeed and I liked Rubio but he has his faults just like Teague just in different areas.

TBH I am FaTeagued about the conversation moreso than the play of either guard.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3304
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 9:32:03 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it's Matt made it up stuff. I don't think Butler could do anything to nix the trade if he wanted to.

Of course its Matt making shit up.
Post #: 3305
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 11:34:16 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I still don't get how so many think Teague is worse than Rubio? I haven't seen one thing to prove it yet. They each have their plus and minuses and Teague has played well against CPIII.....Rubio has done the same against Russ.

I want both guards to succeed and I liked Rubio but he has his faults just like Teague just in different areas.

I was probably more of a Teague supporter than most here at the beginning. Not that I favored getting rid of Rubio, but I was resigned to change being inevitable in sports.

Teague wore me down though with a looong mid-season stretch of perplexing mediocre play. Beyond mediocre, he was just plain bad at times.

He does seem to have turned it around of late, but I need to see a lot more of that before I can get totally behind him.

C’mon man
Post #: 3306
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 11:42:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was probably more of a Teague supporter than most here at the beginning. Not that I favored getting rid of Rubio, but I was resigned to change being inevitable in sports.
Teague wore me down though with a looong mid-season stretch of perplexing mediocre play. Beyond mediocre, he was just plain bad at times.
He does seem to have turned it around of late, but I need to see a lot more of that before I can get totally behind him.

At times I have seen very little movement of the Offensive set.....almost like they are resting during the first 10 seconds of the set. I saw that they pushed the ball more against the Rockets last game, almost like they don't want to run a set play.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3307
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 12:31:28 PM   
Matt Lang

The biggest problem with Teague is that he cost a bunch more money that we could've spent on another player. Also, he's older, shorter, and doesn't play defense as well as Rubio. Or distribute the ball as well. Still, I'm glad Rubio got traded for his sake. He wouldn't be the player he is now if he was still on the Twolves.
Post #: 3308
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 1:40:33 PM   
David Levine

Hopefully the Rockets shooting stays asleep.

The Rockets are leading all teams in the playoffs by taking 19 uncontested threes a game, but they're shooting a playoffs low 26% on them.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/shots-closest-defender-10/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Playoffs&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open&sort=FG3A&dir=1
Post #: 3309
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 1:42:58 PM   
TJSweens

If we can get another game if Houston shooting below average from 3 with the Wolves shooting above their average from 3 we will have a shot tonight.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3310
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 1:53:17 PM   
Matt Lang

If we miraculously win the series, I want KAT to roll around on the floor with the ball like Mutombo in ‘94
Post #: 3311
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 2:43:56 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

The Rockets are leading all teams in the playoffs by taking 19 uncontested threes a game, but they're shooting a playoffs low 26% on them.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/shots-closest-defender-10/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Playoffs&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open&sort=FG3A&dir=1

We've been fortunate. That's an incredible number, and is certainly not a recipe for defensive success.
Post #: 3312
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 2:55:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

We've been fortunate. That's an incredible number, and is certainly not a recipe for defensive success.

More!

Game 3, wide-open 3s (defined as no defender within 6 feet of the shooter):
HOU: 5/19
MIN: 10/13

For the series:
HOU: 19/Game, hitting 26%
MIN: 12/game, hitting 56%

Over the regular season, both teams shot them at 39%, but with the Rockets attempting 6.5 more/game.
Post #: 3313
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 3:42:57 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

quote:

More!

Game 3, wide-open 3s (defined as no defender within 6 feet of the shooter):
HOU: 5/19
MIN: 10/13

For the series:
HOU: 19/Game, hitting 26%
MIN: 12/game, hitting 56%

Over the regular season, both teams shot them at 39%, but with the Rockets attempting 6.5 more/game.

Those are great stats. Unfortunately, these things tend to even out and we could be in line for a game where the Rockets are on fire.
Post #: 3314
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:26:57 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

If we can get another game if Houston shooting below average from 3 with the Wolves shooting above their average from 3 we will have a shot tonight.

That first game is going to haunt them forever. It was there for the taking. That was their shot to really make it a series.

C’mon man
Post #: 3315
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:29:46 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At times I have seen very little movement of the Offensive set.....almost like they are resting during the first 10 seconds of the set. I saw that they pushed the ball more against the Rockets last game, almost like they don't want to run a set play.

It's almost like they got bitched at for launching shots too early in the shot clock, so their solution was to stand around an let the shot clock wind down before getting into an offense.

The last game it was better. Just attack and don't worry about the clock. Take the shot if it's there.

C’mon man
Post #: 3316
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:32:06 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

That first game is going to haunt them forever. It was there for the taking. That was their shot to really make it a series.

Yes, a great opportunity lost.

Houston hasn't really played well dating back to when they wrapped up the #1 seed.

We could have really put them on the ropes.
Post #: 3317
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:36:45 PM   
JT2

I do expect a big game out of Towns tonight.

Even though he has shot poorly, and hasn't gotten the touches he needs, I liked his patience in game 3, as well as his rebounding and more aggressive when he did get the ball. I expect him to expand on that tonight.
Post #: 3318
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:47:10 PM   
JT2

I also expect better play from the Houston bench, namely Gordon and Anderson. Anderson got some minutes last game, after missing their last six. He's also a significantly better shooter/scorer on the road. Gordon is due for a big game. Lots of open looks in game 3.
Post #: 3319
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 5:55:33 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

I do expect a big game out of Towns tonight.

Even though he has shot poorly, and hasn't gotten the touches he needs, I liked his patience in game 3, as well as his rebounding and more aggressive when he did get the ball. I expect him to expand on that tonight.

Same. I've never worried that Towns wouldn't figure it out. He's too good and too smart and too driven. When he fails, you get the feeling that it's a learning experience that's making him better.

C’mon man
Post #: 3320
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 6:44:15 PM   
Steve Lentz

Never understood why everyone wouldn't see the positive in FINALLY making the playoffs again. The experience of playoff basketball against a #1 seed is huge for the young players who haven't seen what it takes to succeed at this level. We're also learning a lot on who we should keep and who we don't need.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3321
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 6:52:41 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The Wolves are undefeated in the playoffs at home since 2004.

C’mon man
Post #: 3322
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 7:21:15 PM   
Steve Lentz

Towns gets 2 quick fouls and is quickly out of the game.
Rest of the team playing pretty intense defense early on, but Ariza is hitting everything.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3323
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 7:23:57 PM   
David Levine

Need to do a better job of taking advantage of Houston's coldness.
Post #: 3324
RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day - 4/23/2018 7:27:13 PM   
David Levine

Teague out with jammed(?) finger, Rose struggling in his place.
Post #: 3325
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2017 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode