Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2017-18 Free Agency Period

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> 2017-18 Free Agency Period Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 10:24:01 AM   
SoMnFan

http://www.12up.com/posts/5772028-6-overlooked-mlb-free-agents-your-team-should-sign?a_aid=36534
Post #: 1
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 10:33:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

So Grandy-man says he'll play again in 2018

MLB Trade Rumors says there are a number of short term options.

There will be some competition on the market, of course. Carlos Gonzalez, Jarrod Dyson, Jon Jay, and Seth Smith are all generally similarly situated, short-term targets (albeit with varying strengths and weaknesses, as well as anticipated price points). Potential part-time righty bats include Howie Kendrick, Austin Jackson, Jayson Werth, and Chris Young, and then there’s the switch-hitting Melky Cabrera. With a variety of trade candidates also floating around, it’s easy to see how many alternatives will be presented.

So there is zero reason to go with Grossman and/or McSlappy in the OF off the bench. None.

Minnesota Sports: Home of Under-Achieving and Disappointment.
Post #: 2
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 10:38:13 AM   
SoMnFan

MUCH better options available, agree, Ed
Post #: 3
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 10:46:50 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

There will be some competition on the market, of course. Carlos Gonzalez, Jarrod Dyson, Jon Jay, and Seth Smith are all generally similarly situated, short-term targets (albeit with varying strengths and weaknesses, as well as anticipated price points). Potential part-time righty bats include Howie Kendrick, Austin Jackson, Jayson Werth, and Chris Young, and then there’s the switch-hitting Melky Cabrera. With a variety of trade candidates also floating around, it’s easy to see how many alternatives will be presented.

So there is zero reason to go with Grossman and/or McSlappy in the OF off the bench. None.

Nope. With Sano likely to spend a significant amount of time at DH next year, there is no reason to keep the OBP machine. Ganite makes a decent 4th OF, IMO. He has the speed and the glove and can get on base even if there is no real pop.

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead.
Post #: 4
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 11:36:42 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Nope. With Sano likely to spend a significant amount of time at DH next year, there is no reason to keep the OBP machine. Ganite makes a decent 4th OF, IMO. He has the speed and the glove and can get on base even if there is no real pop.

I would prefer a 4th OF that hits RH. Even w/Moderate pop in the bat would be helpful

Post #: 5
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 12:15:03 PM   
TJSweens

Agreed. Like I said, Granite is decent, nothing more. I would prefer the Twins add power where ever they can. Look at the trend in baseball. Teams with power bats and power arms are rising to the top.

When you have good players that aren’t particularly good leaders, their coaches or managers will say that they “lead by example.” It’s a polite way of saying they don’t lead.
Post #: 6
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/7/2017 12:36:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Yep, add some bashers.
Can always use more of those.
Post #: 7
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/8/2017 5:28:09 PM   
McMurfy

And Now

This

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21340574/texas-rangers-pay-most-pitcher-outfielder-shohei-otani

In Paul We Trust
Post #: 8
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/8/2017 6:52:56 PM   
SoMnFan

CAN is a huge word.
Post #: 9
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/8/2017 10:21:11 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

CAN is a huge word.

Would be fun,
we’re really big in Japan.

After so much success with Nish and Park

In Paul We Trust
Post #: 10
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 9:58:51 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

I agree on Granite as a 4th OF. He can play multiple positions, is fast, and is a control hitter who does not strike out a lot. Sure, he is a slap-hitter but the other Twins OF all have good to very good power. I think Granite can hit in the .270-.290-ish range. That certainly removes any thoughts of keeping Grossman the OBP machine.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 11
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 9:59:23 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would prefer a 4th OF that hits RH. Even w/Moderate pop in the bat would be helpful

More Granite hate.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 12
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 11:35:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

Rumor is the Twins aren't afraid to spend money in FA....

"One advantage that both the Brewers and Twins have over their division rivals, though, is a largely blank payroll slate moving forward. Even after arbitration projections, the Twins have just $85.5MM on the books for the 2018 season. After the coming year, that commitment drops to $24MM. Minnesota doesn’t have a single dollar committed to the books in 2020."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/twins-brewers-enter-offseason-in-position-to-spend.html

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 13
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 12:58:09 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

I agree on Granite as a 4th OF. He can play multiple positions, is fast, and is a control hitter who does not strike out a lot. Sure, he is a slap-hitter but the other Twins OF all have good to very good power. I think Granite can hit in the .270-.290-ish range. That certainly removes any thoughts of keeping Grossman the OBP machine.

You, loving Granite ... Is the weirdest thing that's happened on these boards in like, forever.
Post #: 14
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 12:58:48 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Rumor is the Twins aren't afraid to spend money in FA....

"One advantage that both the Brewers and Twins have over their division rivals, though, is a largely blank payroll slate moving forward. Even after arbitration projections, the Twins have just $85.5MM on the books for the 2018 season. After the coming year, that commitment drops to $24MM. Minnesota doesn’t have a single dollar committed to the books in 2020."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/twins-brewers-enter-offseason-in-position-to-spend.html

That first line might be the funniest thing over read in here, in like, forever ....
Post #: 15
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 3:44:36 PM   
ronhextall

Lucy (eeerrrr Pohlad) has pulled the ball away so many times I can't believe anybody actually gives lip service to the idea that the Twins will spend money.

I am taking the Missouri stance on this, SHOW ME and STOP TELLING ME.
Post #: 16
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 3:50:03 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Lucy (eeerrrr Pohlad) has pulled the ball away so many times I can't believe anybody actually gives lip service to the idea that the Twins will spend money.

I am taking the Missouri stance on this, SHOW ME and STOP TELLING ME.

Just saw another one ...
WE are one of the two teams that will end up with Arrietta, supposedly

This is some great comedy
I keep thinking about all the gull-I-bulls out there that eat this stuff up.
I will give Falvine credit ... they have hired some better PR people.
They get the false hope crap out there quicker than we ever have before.
Post #: 17
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 3:52:50 PM   
Trekgeekscott

I too am in "I will believe it when I see it" stage...

Linval Joseph isn't a man...he is men
Post #: 18
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 3:54:25 PM   
SoMnFan

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust missed out.
GolDarnIt.
Post #: 19
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 4:12:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

The price on the International Pitcher looks reasonable---I would believe that one. The price on Arrieta or other top pitchers....yeah right.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 20
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/9/2017 7:37:59 PM   
SoMnFan

And now we are the front-runner to acquire Stanton !!!!!!!

Just kidding ... thought I'd try out how it felt to spread bullshit .... gotta admit, its kinda fun.
Post #: 21
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/10/2017 9:46:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust missed out.
GolDarnIt.

Tire kickin'
Tire kickin'

We're so doggone good at Tire Kickin'

Should make that into one of them there country-western songs.

Post #: 22
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/10/2017 10:07:41 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

The price on the International Pitcher looks reasonable---I would believe that one. The price on Arrieta or other top pitchers....yeah right.

Yeah.

Our Far East Scouting department has been, shall we say, a little bit overrated over the past decade. I mean they've netted us Nishioka and Park so far. So I am sure that this phenom will not disappoint....

Post #: 23
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/10/2017 10:57:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Yeah.

Our Far East Scouting department has been, shall we say, a little bit overrated over the past decade. I mean they've netted us Nishioka and Park so far. So I am sure that this phenom will not disappoint....

Those guys have been replaced.

Post #: 24
RE: 2017-18 Free Agency Period - 11/10/2017 11:07:09 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Yeah.

Those guys have been replaced.

Sure hope so.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> 2017-18 Free Agency Period Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode