Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:19:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Case is getting better offensive line play, but I do think he deserves credit for getting rid of the ball.

We did win on the road against the Redskins. I would love to see our team follow up with a victory against the Lions. We owe them. Plus, we have mostly road games from here on and we will need to win some of these games.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:21:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

“Their defense is really good,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “It’s a really, really good football team — offensively, defensively, I mean everything. They were really good.”

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Fall-to-Vikings-24-7/7fd12ff1-c008-4d0a-bc3b-4083a3bc5e15

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:35:03 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art
If you like Teddy you gotta like Case.
They are almost exactly the same player.

except teddy has equaled Case's best in 2nd year vs Cases 'prime' years, and teddy equaled it with a bad oline/offense
the only question is can teddy be where he was pre-injury?
i have no idea
gonna be fun to see how it all plays out

???
Teddy's best full season:
65.3% completion
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int

Case after 8 Starts, 1 Relief:
65.7% Completion
2194 yards
12 TDs
5 Int

You give Case a full year and he would easily beat Teddy's best season.

you give Teddy a full year with this team and he would easily beat Teddy's best season, too

IMO

You mean the one he put up as a 22 year old?

Yep

Ymmv

Well maybe not yours but others mmv

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:36:10 PM   
Dave Odle

For all of the Keenum naysayers, let me ask you this. If Bridgewater was not a 1st round pick and such a charismatic and nice guy, would you still promote him to take the starting job away from Case based on his stats up until the injury? I mean, it's not even close. Keenum has played better than any QB we have trotted out in a long time, Bridge included.

Bridgewater looking good in practice is not the same thing as a game and we all know it. How many times have we heard team coaches and the GM say that a QB looked great in practice, then they stunk it up in a game?

I'll just say it. Keenum completed passes that Teddy never has, plus Teddy is coming off of a horrific injury, so there is no guarantee.

Dump Bradford, sign Keenum and Bridge to extensions, and tell Keenum the job is his until the team loses faith in his ability (which has yet to happen). The Bills benched Tyrod Taylor for Peterman and then went back to Taylor after Peterman threw five interceptions in one HALF. Be careful what you wish for. Taylor was slumping just a a game or two and got the hook. Now their chemistry is clouded because they went to a rookie and wish they hadn't.

You just don't mess w/ chemistry. Why bench a QB who has carried this team farther than it has gone in years, just because he was an UDFA and our former 1st round pick who was a marginal starter and rehabbed from a near amputation is ready to go?

Could this be the year?
Post #: 104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:39:06 PM   
drviking

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9
Mobility---5 Sacks Taken in 8.5 games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Case is #2 in QBR right now----Deshaun Watson is #1.

I love to speculate but it would take more than balls to put Teddy in, it would take brass balls.....

I hear you

I don't think I am opposed to case...you make really good points

Just watching his throws is hard...they don't look right

I love watching him move and make plays

I love watching his interview

I love his fight

Post #: 105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:42:48 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

For all of the Keenum naysayers, let me ask you this. If Bridgewater was not a 1st round pick and such a charismatic and nice guy, would you still promote him to take the starting job away from Case based on his stats up until the injury? I mean, it's not even close. Keenum has played better than any QB we have trotted out in a long time, Bridge included.

Bridgewater looking good in practice is not the same thing as a game and we all know it. How many times have we heard team coaches and the GM say that a QB looked great in practice, then they stunk it up in a game?

I'll just say it. Keenum completed passes that Teddy never has, plus Teddy is coming off of a horrific injury, so there is no guarantee.

Dump Bradford, sign Keenum and Bridge to extensions, and tell Keenum the job is his until the team loses faith in his ability (which has yet to happen). The Bills benched Tyrod Taylor for Peterman and then went back to Taylor after Peterman threw five interceptions in one HALF. Be careful what you wish for. Taylor was slumping just a a game or two and got the hook. Now their chemistry is clouded because they went to a rookie and wish they hadn't.

You just don't mess w/ chemistry. Why bench a QB who has carried this team farther than it has gone in years, just because he was an UDFA and our former 1st round pick who was a marginal starter and rehabbed from a near amputation is ready to go?

Based on stats? No

Based on watching them play....it used to be yes for me...i have moved into the maybe category

Post #: 106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:43:19 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

When I read Kurt's posts I hear his voice speaking it. With his inflections and mannerisms.
Others reading might interpret it differently than we do. And you.

I'm don't think I interpret it that much differently. I just watch with interest - which I do a lot of things. I know I'm interpreted as angry a lot more than I ever am - probably should learn something from that some day

That's what I meant.
Us guys who have actually met and hung out have a much different interpretation because we know each other personally.
I mean Todd O comes across as a real pain in the ass on here but we know he's straight up just an ass.

Where's my beer?
Post #: 107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:48:10 PM   
bgdavis

quote:

I like Teddy, but it's hard to argue that Case has been a key ingredient of the winning formula thus far. I'll see that idiom and raise it with 2 more: "Don't mess with success" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

With the way Case is playing, Teddy's best chance to get into a game may be at the tail end of a Vikings blowout (home CIN or CHI game?) or, Heaven forbid, Case gets hurt. (crossing fingers and knocking on wood that I didn't just jinx Case by saying that.)

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:48:39 PM   
quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I love to speculate but it would take more than balls to put Teddy in, it would take brass balls.....

I hear you

I love his fight

He throws with anticipation and trust.
Ball is out early and headed for where the WR should be. Especially Thielen.

Listen, Teddy has some ugly throws in his portfolio too.
I never liked his grip and release. Feel he gets too much love for a guy that has done nothing so far.
We can't ride that one playoff drive forever. It didn't end in a win. Not his fault. Should have won. Now if he drove for a TD ....

This will go on for some time between the TedHeads and the HeadCases but in reality it is Cases's job to lose. It is not Teddy's job to win anymore. He can't get on the field to win it because Case is having a magical season. Todd M wanted to see the magic ... but he's closing his eyes while it's happening.

Sign them both next year and let them fight it out.
If Teddy balks, toll his ass.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:54:33 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I hear you
I love his fight

Hard to make a switch just looking at the numbers and they don't have the most important----6-2 in starts and 1-0 in relief. Case has the same magic as Teddy too...saw it against Washington and LA. He had us driving against Detroit too for the game tying drive.

Both Washington and LA scored right away....Case had us driving right back against Washington for a score and a good opening drive against LA that ended in a punt inside their 10.

I think the combo of Cook/Latavius/Oline is somewhat responsible to the success of Case but he still is the director and he was magical against Washington and LA---almost like he wouldn't be denied.

He has faced off against Cousins and Goff the last 2 weeks and outplayed both.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/20/2017 4:01:53 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:57:38 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

When I read Kurt's posts I hear his voice speaking it. With his inflections and mannerisms.
Others reading might interpret it differently than we do. And you.

I'm don't think I interpret it that much differently. I just watch with interest - which I do a lot of things. I know I'm interpreted as angry a lot more than I ever am - probably should learn something from that some day

That's what I meant.
Us guys who have actually met and hung out have a much different interpretation because we know each other personally.
I mean Todd O comes across as a real pain in the ass on here but we know he's straight up just an ass.

Where's my beer?

Thumbnail Image

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 3:59:15 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I hear you

I love his fight

I never liked his grip and release. Feel he gets too much love for a guy that has done nothing so far.
We can't ride that one playoff drive forever. It didn't end in a win. Not his fault. Should have won. Now if he drove for a TD ....

This will go on for some time between the TedHeads and the HeadCases but in reality it is Cases's job to lose. It is not Teddy's job to win anymore. He can't get on the field to win it because Case is having a magical season. Todd M wanted to see the magic ... but he's closing his eyes while it's happening.

There is no choice with tolling

Either his contract tolls or it doesn't...you don't get to choose based on Ted's attitude

It's either legal or not

Post #: 112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:00:54 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I hear you

I love his fight

Either his contract tolls or it doesn't...you don't get to choose based on Ted's attitude

It's either legal or not

We can choose not to toll it and sign him to a new deal.

Post #: 113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:02:31 PM   
Finished at 5.9 ABV.
In keg now carbing up.

Thumbnail Image

Post #: 114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:03:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I hear you
I love his fight

It's either legal or not

+1
They will have some leverage to give him a better contract than a 1 year toll...

Post #: 115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:05:21 PM   
Don T in CO

quote:

I'm not really a Keenum naysayer. I love his mobility, I love that he can move from one read to another, and I love that he has guided the team to 6 straight wins with the last 2 being against tough opponents. I don't even think it is wrong to play him as the starting QB until A. he gets knocked out of the game or B. his play deteriorates significantly.

What I will say, is that the Vikes are in an unusual situation. They have a "franchise QB" who by all accounts is ready to play and has looked good/great in practice. They traded up to get him in the first round and before his pro day most draft sites had him going very high, some even #1 overall. So the HC and the GM rightfully think that his upside is better than the QB that they signed a $2MM 1-year contract with to backup Bradford until Teddy was ready. What puts the Viking in a tight spot is the Case is playing out of his mind, which makes them want to keep Case in, and Teddy is unsigned for next year and beyond. With starting QBs getting $20MM/yr+ they need to see Teddy play at some point to see if he's worth franchise money going forward. They can't give him $30-40MM guaranteed and then have him stink or have some physical complications. There's also the question that if Teddy's upside is higher than Case's (and I think it may be since we've never seen him play behind an O-line like this), then wouldn't you want to give him as much PT as possible before the playoffs start?

IDK, it's a good "problem" to have and I won't question the Vikes either way. They know all the nuances of the situation, and there are many to be considered.
Post #: 116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:06:37 PM   
Sample tastes great.

Thumbnail Image

Post #: 117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:09:59 PM   
I expect Teddy to have a good attitude towards the situation, now and in the future.
As far as needing to see him play ... that's what pre-season is for.
You don't do that in the middle of a playoff race for the division, bye and HFA.

Post #: 118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:14:04 PM   
Jackie MacMullan just nailed it.
Case Keenum has "presence".
Slows the game down and takes control.

Post #: 119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:15:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don T in CO

quote:

I'm not really a Keenum naysayer. I love his mobility, I love that he can move from one read to another, and I love that he has guided the team to 6 straight wins with the last 2 being against tough opponents. I don't even think it is wrong to play him as the starting QB until A. he gets knocked out of the game or B. his play deteriorates significantly.

What I will say, is that the Vikes are in an unusual situation. They have a "franchise QB" who by all accounts is ready to play and has looked good/great in practice. They traded up to get him in the first round and before his pro day most draft sites had him going very high, some even #1 overall. So the HC and the GM rightfully think that his upside is better than the QB that they signed a $2MM 1-year contract with to backup Bradford until Teddy was ready. What puts the Viking in a tight spot is the Case is playing out of his mind, which makes them want to keep Case in, and Teddy is unsigned for next year and beyond. With starting QBs getting $20MM/yr+ they need to see Teddy play at some point to see if he's worth franchise money going forward. They can't give him $30-40MM guaranteed and then have him stink or have some physical complications. There's also the question that if Teddy's upside is higher than Case's (and I think it may be since we've never seen him play behind an O-line like this), then wouldn't you want to give him as much PT as possible before the playoffs start?

IDK, it's a good "problem" to have and I won't question the Vikes either way. They know all the nuances of the situation, and there are many to be considered.

I agree Teddy has never had an oline and the rb corps we have. So say we can't toll Teddy...you think teams will start throwing big guaranteed money at Teddy? They haven't seen him either. There will be some nerves in giving him a big contract.

Post #: 120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:39:45 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

I expect Teddy to have a good attitude towards the situation, now and in the future.
As far as needing to see him play ... that's what pre-season is for.
You don't do that in the middle of a playoff race for the division, bye and HFA.

Teddy has seen NFL action. He must be looking exceptional in practice to keep pushing Case, who, as of right now, deserves consideration for MVP. Pretty hard to doubt a guy who has comeback from basically a career ending injury.

Case is playing great and Teddy is waiting for the opportunity. Why should Zimmer let anyone know who the starter is? How do any of us know or the press what Zimmer has told the team? Lets see journeyman backup has the franchise QB coming off a major knee injury, a fan base dying for his return, the media wanting the great comeback story and all the while Keenum is earning his time while the franchise QB does nothing but support him. Zimmer loves this and so do we.

Teddy is contributing leadership without actually playing. His return to the field is uplifting to all.

Case is the starter of the team because he has earned it. Case has limitations but is a leader simple as that. Gotta have a leader at QB.

Lucky to have unselfish players at QB.
Post #: 121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 4:43:23 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teddy's best season
16 Games
3231 yards
14 TD
9 Int
Rate 88.7
QBR 60.4

Case 2017
8.5 games
2194 Yards
12 TD
5 Int
Rate 93.7
QBR 73.9

I hear you

I love his fight

It's either legal or not

That's not how I understand it

Post #: 122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 5:03:35 PM   
Does anybody understand it?

Post #: 123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 5:03:35 PM   
ratoppenheimer

ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating (Total QBR), which was released in 2011, has never claimed to be perfect, but unlike other measures of quarterback performance, it incorporates all of a quarterback’s contributions to winning, including how he impacts the game on passes, rushes, turnovers and penalties. Also, since QBR is built from the play level, it accounts for a team’s level of success or failure on every play to provide the proper context and then allocates credit to the quarterback and his teammate to produce a clearer measure of quarterback efficiency.

2017 keenum 73.9
2016 bradford 53.1
2015 bridgewater 57.7

2017 tom brady 72.4
2016 tom brady 79.4

2017 carson wentz 70.8

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 11/20/2017 5:34:14 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/20/2017 5:23:29 PM   
Dave Odle

The bottom line is that Keenum is playing w/ an insane amount of confidence. Will he ride it through the playoffs and to a title? That would be incredible. The natural impulse is to compare him to Dilfer because of our defense, but he is playing at a higher level than Dilfer was. Having Jamal Lewis playing an unbelievable season w/ that defense was the key and Dilfer making just enough passing plays was what put them over the top. Keenum is playing a lot better than that.

If he took us all the way, you almost have to give him a big payday. If he takes us to the NFC Championship Game (which, let's face it, is looking very possible), then you pay him as a starting QB and give Bridgewater a lesser offer. If he flames out in the playoffs, then we are starting at square one. All I know is that this stage is not to big for him right now. He could have panicked after facing his old team that dumped him and instead lit them up. And that was a damn good team he did it to.

Basically, pay him according to his performance. I just don't understand all of the Bridgewater love, either. He was a young QB who was unimpressive early on, but his needle was pointing up. Nothing more and nothing less. Who cares where a franchise QB comes from? UDFA? (Keenum, Romo) 1st round pick? (Bridgewater, just fill in the blank) 6th round? (Brady fairy tales) 4th round? (Prescott).

Could this be the year?
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode