Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/4/2018 10:54:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

What I read is that he will go earlier in the first round. Too early, I guess to have a handle on the draft. We haven't had the combine, yet.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 26
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/5/2018 2:44:48 PM   
Todd M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8BNzcGBAF8

Equanimeous St. Brown

quote:

Sources who have done advance work on the 2018 class are really impressed and intrigued with St. Brown. They say he is a super-polished route runner with tremendous speed, athletic ability, body control, and hands. They said they think St. Brown could be more gifted and talented than the three wideouts who went in the top 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft

Existential midlife crisis mode engaged.
Post #: 27
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/8/2018 11:46:10 AM   
Pager

Loaded RB class. We should be able to get someone later in the draft that can replace Jet and provide insurance for Cook. I would ask Murray to restructure his contract as well.

OT. Be great if Williams fell to 30. Also ok with OG Hernendez or Price in first round.
DT. Hope Nnadi falls to second round. If not, maybe Arden Key?

Possible that TE gesicki or fumagalli falls to 3rd?

I'd be very happy with that start to the draft.

After that pick up a RB and draft best available in each round.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 28
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/8/2018 12:45:14 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8BNzcGBAF8

Equanimeous St. Brown

quote:

Sources who have done advance work on the 2018 class are really impressed and intrigued with St. Brown. They say he is a super-polished route runner with tremendous speed, athletic ability, body control, and hands. They said they think St. Brown could be more gifted and talented than the three wideouts who went in the top 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft

He should be available in the later rounds. I want to see Price or Hernandez with our first pick. We need to be dominant in the middle of the oline.
Post #: 29
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/10/2018 10:57:46 AM   
Pager

I would have the Browns on speed dial. I really hope they love someone at 30 and want to leapfrog the Pats. Drop 2 spots and pick up additional pick(s). Browns have 2 1sts, 3 2nds

Post #: 30
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/10/2018 12:52:36 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigSky

MAURICE HURST! Check this guy out, Him next Joseph, ooh ooh ooh wee!!!!

This is my guy too, Sky. Could help take our D to the next level!

< Message edited by Murph -- 2/10/2018 12:54:28 PM >

Purple Dynasty!
Post #: 31
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/12/2018 2:32:35 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I would have the Browns on speed dial. I really hope they love someone at 30 and want to leapfrog the Pats. Drop 2 spots and pick up additional pick(s). Browns have 2 1sts, 3 2nds

I do believe that the end of the first round is valuable because the team retains longer control within the rookie contract. According to a trade chart from this site, trading up three spots from 33 to 30 is worth a pick near the top of the fifth round. Of course, if the player that is coveted happens to be a quarterback, then that could easily be inflated.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/30/nfl-teams-have-revised-the-draft-trade-chart/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 32
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/13/2018 9:47:38 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

This would be the most impactful move we could make. Yes, we need to add to the oline and more depth at CB, but a disruptive 3 technique DT would push our dline to another level.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 33
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/13/2018 9:57:22 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

This would be the most impactful move we could make. Yes, we need to add to the oline and more depth at CB, but a disruptive 3 technique DT would push our dline to another level.

Seems he'll be long gone by the time we pick......
Post #: 34
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 1:26:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/10-names-vikings-fans-need-know-enter-draft-season/

Post #: 35
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 10:17:48 AM   
BigSky

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

Seems he'll be long gone by the time we pick......

Projected high 20's, Time to start a bad rumor about him.

The Season of: 8 SECOND RIDE! We're going to stay on
that Bull till the VERY END!
Post #: 36
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 7:58:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One "draft picker" suggested this guy would be our first selection- an athletic defensive tackle with an upside, but who would need a bit more time to develop. (Maybe a bit like Danielle Hunter) This may point out how a free agent DT might be a better way to go. It seems that the best DT's are more "mature".

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/taven-bryan?id=2560140

I say that he would be a possibility if we trade down to the top of the second round or if he slips to farther in the second round.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/12/08/taven-bryan-florida-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/22/2018 8:01:15 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 8:06:17 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

DTs usually do take some time to develop. Might just be a strength issue because young man strength just isn't the same as mature man strength.

PPE II baby
Post #: 38
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 8:12:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One option for free agency would be a restricted free agent from the Cowboys. (Sorry, because I know this is a draft thread, but it makes sense to get a defensive tackle who has had a couple of years under his belt and then that leaves us the option to go for an offensive lineman in the first round.)

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/01/03/cowboys-dl-david-irving-explains-sucks-restricted-free-agent

Post #: 39
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 9:24:45 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

One option for free agency would be a restricted free agent from the Cowboys. (Sorry, because I know this is a draft thread, but it makes sense to get a defensive tackle who has had a couple of years under his belt and then that leaves us the option to go for an offensive lineman in the first round.)

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/01/03/cowboys-dl-david-irving-explains-sucks-restricted-free-agent

Nice find Bruce. 24 years old. In 8 games filled up the stat sheet, 6 pass deflections and 7 sacks. Could be a monster next to Joseph.

Wonder what it would take go make Dallas not match an offer.

Post #: 40
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 9:38:02 PM   
Murph

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-lead-off-with-qb-seahawks-saints-eagles-boost-o-line/

30. Minnesota Vikings
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan. Assuming the Vikings figure out what to do with their free-agent quarterbacks heading into the draft, they could be looking to add talent at one of a few different positions. One spot where they have a need is at defensive tackle, where Sharrif Floyd can't be counted on to resume his career anytime soon. Hurst is undersized for an NFL defensive tackle, but he has the speed to penetrate into the backfield and should give the team's pass-rush a boost.

Purple Dynasty!
Post #: 41
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/22/2018 10:27:20 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-lead-off-with-qb-seahawks-saints-eagles-boost-o-line/

30. Minnesota Vikings
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan. Assuming the Vikings figure out what to do with their free-agent quarterbacks heading into the draft, they could be looking to add talent at one of a few different positions. One spot where they have a need is at defensive tackle, where Sharrif Floyd can't be counted on to resume his career anytime soon. Hurst is undersized for an NFL defensive tackle, but he has the speed to penetrate into the backfield and should give the team's pass-rush a boost.

I’d like this.

Tape is good...

Big sky put a great tape on here of this guy.
Post #: 42
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 12:52:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Two compensatory sixth round picks are like 7th rounders which are like preferred undrafted free agents. I guess they’re also collateral for trader Rick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hands-out-compensatory-picks-for-2018-nfl-draft-cowboys-packers-big-winners/

Post #: 43
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 7:01:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Just looking at what we have for draft picks now. Day three looks like we will have to be patient. No fourth rounder and we have to wait until pick number 166. All of the other picks will be in the 200's. Day one and day two should be fully loaded, although our picks come near the end of the rounds.

This article assumes that Spielman will make some deals, probably to trade down. That's a good assumption in day three. In day one and two anything can happen. The sobering thing is that we may only get three or four players who actually play on Sundays for this season and it might even be two.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/2/23/17046490/vikings-officially-awarded-two-compensatory-draft-picks

Post #: 44
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 10:17:29 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

Just looking at what we have for draft picks now. Day three looks like we will have to be patient. No fourth rounder and we have to wait until pick number 166. All of the other picks will be in the 200's. Day one and day two should be fully loaded, although our picks come near the end of the rounds.

This article assumes that Spielman will make some deals, probably to trade down. That's a good assumption in day three. In day one and two anything can happen. The sobering thing is that we may only get three or four players who actually play on Sundays for this season and it might even be two.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/2/23/17046490/vikings-officially-awarded-two-compensatory-draft-picks

I wouldn't be worried about anything with the draft. We started with less picks last year and drafted a ton of dudes.

And it shouldn't be sobering that we might only get a few players who will make the team. We are no longer building; we are now reloading. That's what happens when you're good.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 45
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 10:32:02 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Then we should be trading up this year.

Post #: 46
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 11:32:57 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Nice find Bruce. 24 years old. In 8 games filled up the stat sheet, 6 pass deflections and 7 sacks. Could be a monster next to Joseph.

Wonder what it would take go make Dallas not match an offer.

Seems disgruntled about his low salary, but fortunately mentioned being kicked off the team in college.

Although the article did NOT quote him discussing his FOUR GAME SUSPENSION which knocked another 25% off his salary.

I'd pass on this clown.
Post #: 47
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 4:02:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We wound up with 8 picks last year. I know we didn't have a first round selection, but our turn in the draft order wasn't #30.

Here are the picks. Obviously, Cook was a solid selection, but he didn't help us when we needed him the most. (in the playoffs) Elflein was a solid pick, too, but I don't think he was 100% healthy in the playoffs either. Gedeon played some with base formations, but he was not a transformational player. Maybe he will improve this year. A couple of the later picks look promising for the future, but the jury is out.

I'm not sure we can say that we "drafted a ton of dudes". Let's say that we did. (especially if Isidora develops into a nice starter) Regardless, it did not impact our efforts in the post season. I don't know how much we can count on this upcoming crop to make a significant impact in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/22513/minnesota-vikings-2017-draft-picks-analysis-for-every-selection

Post #: 48
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 4:21:52 PM   
Bill Jandro

Having rookies start and play well was a huge component for NO having a big year.

With the 1st two picks reinforce the trenches.

I'd like to see us draft another rb in rd 3 to replace Jet. I think we keep Murray so I'd target a receiving rb.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 49
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 4:26:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

May have to scratch the idea of keeping Murray

Latavius Murray - $6,350,000

I thought he was only making about 3.5ml

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode