Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 4:32:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Having rookies start and play well was a huge component for NO having a big year.

With the 1st two picks reinforce the trenches.

I'd like to see us draft another rb in rd 3 to replace Jet. I think we keep Murray so I'd target a receiving rb.

I believe I saw somewhere that this is a good draft running backs. Jet was a third round selection, though. Would we really improve the team by cutting him and cycling a new rookie?

Personally, I see a need for another cornerback. Despite loving the pick of MacKenzie Alexander at the time, it doesn't look like he's going the right way- plus Newman is of the age where at best he can play as a backup or a spot starter. At best!

My hunch is that cornerback will not be our first selection, though, but I will be disappointed if it is not in the top three. Remember, we have no fourth round selection and the fifth rounder is near the end of the round. That translates to a project kind of selection. If you want them to contribute this season, it almost has to be in rounds one, two, or three.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/24/2018 4:35:57 PM >

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 51
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 4:54:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

Having rookies start and play well was a huge component for NO having a big year.

I'd like to see us draft another rb in rd 3 to replace Jet. I think we keep Murray so I'd target a receiving rb.

I believe I saw somewhere that this is a good draft running backs. Jet was a third round selection, though. Would we really improve the team by cutting him and cycling a new rookie?

Personally, I see a need for another cornerback. Despite loving the pick of MacKenzie Alexander at the time, it doesn't look like he's going the right way- plus Newman is of the age where at best he can play as a backup or a spot starter. At best!

My hunch is that cornerback will not be our first selection, though, but I will be disappointed if it is not in the top three. Remember, we have no fourth round selection and the fifth rounder is near the end of the round. That translates to a project kind of selection. If you want them to contribute this season, it almost has to be in rounds one, two, or three.

Jet's a FA, he's as good a gone
Post #: 52
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:02:50 PM   
69in09

quote:

May have to scratch the idea of keeping Murray

Latavius Murray - $6,350,000

I thought he was only making about 3.5ml

I concur.

The original contract was written to be able to cut him this year. We only have 1.2 divided over the next 2 years to pay on this. So I believe we would realize 5.1 savings this year.

I didn't see LT do anything well last year other than ball security.

He is C- at almost everything and is a solid F as far as open field running. Many times he'd get to the second level and trip over his own feet or find a DB to fall over.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 53
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:10:08 PM   
69in09

The only possible reason to keep LT is the thin FA crop.

IDK how many people would be good with Cook, coming off injury and 2 rookies?

Personally, I'd prefer Cook and McKinnon over Cook and LT.

However, I'm not a big believer in the need to have "variety" in the backfield. Besides LT at 230 isn't a physical back, IMO.

Post #: 54
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:25:56 PM   
kevinemmer

Hamm was more productive to my eye, he can fill the short-yardage role.

Scottie Graham body type.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 55
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:30:10 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

Hamm was more productive to my eye, he can fill the short-yardage role.

Scottie Graham body type.

Agree. I would draft a rb in rd 3 and increase Hamm's role. He looked very good when given an opportunity.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 56
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:33:04 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

However, I'm not a big believer in the need to have "variety" in the backfield. Besides LT at 230 isn't a physical back, IMO.

He's very young so I'm not overly concerned but we could give the new rookie bulk of the carries in PS to get him up to speed while integrating Hamm into the mix as well.

Post #: 57
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 5:49:15 PM   
69in09

I really like the role Ham has with the team now.

IMO he should stay in that role. There is a reason he moved to FB. There is a reason we cut him the prior year.

Great fit for FB and emergency 3rd back.

Post #: 58
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/24/2018 6:07:13 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

He's very young so I'm not overly concerned but we could give the new rookie bulk of the carries in PS to get him up to speed while integrating Hamm into the mix as well.

I think if we are a team with SB aspirations, it would be negligent to not have a veteran in our backfield with Cook coming off the ACL.

We got spoiled with AD. RBs returning quickly off ACL reconstructions is not a given.

Post #: 59
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 8:00:42 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Ah. I heard on the radio that he tweeted about a deal being done. The only team that can negotiate with him now is the Vikings, but of course we can't know for sure until it's been confirmed. Like I said, I would like him back.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 60
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 9:38:17 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah. I heard on the radio that he tweeted about a deal being done. The only team that can negotiate with him now is the Vikings, but of course we can't know for sure until it's been confirmed. Like I said, I would like him back.

I read he is looking to sign with a team where he is the feature back.
Post #: 61
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 9:45:06 AM   
Bill Jandro

Jet certainly is a good back to have in your stable.

But he seems to get dinged up almost every year and has yet to prove he can make it a full season.

Factoring in how well rookie rb's can contribute right away on the cheap I can't see him getting a big pay day.

Post #: 62
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 10:52:20 AM   
BigSky

quote:

One "draft picker" suggested this guy would be our first selection- an athletic defensive tackle with an upside, but who would need a bit more time to develop. (Maybe a bit like Danielle Hunter) This may point out how a free agent DT might be a better way to go. It seems that the best DT's are more "mature".

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/taven-bryan?id=2560140

I say that he would be a possibility if we trade down to the top of the second round or if he slips to farther in the second round.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/12/08/taven-bryan-florida-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=taven+bryan&qpvt=taven+bryan&view=detail&mid=A361033B69442C572E9AA361033B69442C572E9A&&FORM=VRDGAR

The Season of: 8 SECOND RIDE! We're going to stay on
that Bull till the VERY END!
Post #: 63
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 11:19:46 AM   
BigSky

quote:

quote:

I concur.

The original contract was written to be able to cut him this year. We only have 1.2 divided over the next 2 years to pay on this. So I believe we would realize 5.1 savings this year.

Can't agree with this, I'd be shocked if we let Murray go. #1 Cook is still not a definite untill

camp opens up,#2 Murray was formidable as a short yardage and goal line back, #3 having

Murray gives us some experienced assurance if Cook isn't ready to come right out of the gate,

I don't believe Murray can carry a team for a season, but he can carry for a game or two. Also

he can catch out of the backfield, along with being better than adequate when it comes to

pass protection.#4 Murrays running style is a nice change up to Cook for that one two punch,

and last but not least, Jet will be more expensive to keep than Murray once he hits the

airways.

< Message edited by BigSky -- 2/25/2018 11:24:37 AM >

Post #: 64
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 11:44:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigSky

quote:

quote:

I concur.

Can't agree with this, I'd be shocked if we let Murray go. #1 Cook is still not a definite untill

camp opens up,#2 Murray was formidable as a short yardage and goal line back, #3 having

Murray gives us some experienced assurance if Cook isn't ready to come right out of the gate,

I don't believe Murray can carry a team for a season, but he can carry for a game or two. Also

he can catch out of the backfield, along with being better than adequate when it comes to

pass protection.#4 Murrays running style is a nice change up to Cook for that one two punch,

and last but not least, Jet will be more expensive to keep than Murray once he hits the

airways.

I get what your saying but 6.35ml for a guy that can carry a team for a game or two?

I think if we draft a rb and play him a lot in PS coupled with maybe a FA short yardage back we would be fine. Hamm could easily contribute more (in fact he should).

Post #: 65
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 12:30:16 PM   
BigSky

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

I get what your saying but 6.35ml for a guy that can carry a team for a game or two?

I think if we draft a rb and play him a lot in PS coupled with maybe a FA short yardage back we would be fine. Hamm could easily contribute more (in fact he should).

Ya, but we still have Cook on the cheap, it's feasible to pay Murray the extra for this season,

then we have the luxury of drafting, or finding a young RB in free agency.Give them this year

to season as the #3, and let Murray go next season, and if his contract falls in line with

the way the majority of contracts do(don't have the details, and to lazy to look up.lol)we

won't loose as much moolas, possibly zilch.

Post #: 66
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 12:33:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

Ya, but we still have Cook on the cheap, it's feasible to pay Murray the extra for this season,

then we have the luxury of drafting, or finding a young RB in free agency.Give them this year

to season as the #3, and let Murray go next season, and if his contract falls in line with

the way the majority of contracts do(don't have the details, and to lazy to look up.lol)we

Maybe rework Murrays contract to 2 years $8M?
Post #: 67
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 12:34:59 PM   
BigSky

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

P.S also Murray though not a HIGH quality game changing RB, is a decent #2 if Cook where to

go down (please no) for the season. I don't think there are to many#2 RB's that can carry a

team, but Murrays as good as any #2 that can take the reins if he has to.

Post #: 68
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 12:38:40 PM   
BigSky

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

I'd have to see what we'd owe him if we were to let him go next season.

Post #: 69
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 1:33:19 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

I think something similar to that is probably what will happen.

Murray is set to be the 5th highest paid RB in the League next year. I personally think he isn't good enough to start, nonetheless be in that range.

IMO if you approach a guy to renegotiate, you have to be prepared to cut them if decline.

I agree that we need at least one veteran in the backfield mix next year but if LT declines, there will be other backs out there.

Post #: 70
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 1:35:53 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

His deal is almost all base salary. His BS is 600K the next two years, so 1.2m would be due if we cut him this year, 600k the next.

Post #: 71
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 1:45:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/02/should-vikings-should-closely-evaluate.html?spref=tw&m=1

Post #: 72
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 2:36:51 PM   
BigSky

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur.

airways.

His deal is almost all base salary. His BS is 600K the next two years, so 1.2m would be due if we cut him this year, 600k the next.

Thanks for putting in the work 69!

Post #: 73
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 2:50:37 PM   
BigSky

quote:

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/02/should-vikings-should-closely-evaluate.html?spref=tw&m=1

Jackson has surprising arm strength considering he has the arms of Kermit the frog.

Post #: 74
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 2/25/2018 2:52:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

I can't see us not reworking Murray's contract. He is more or less 2nd fiddle to Cook and being paid the 5th highest rb salary makes little sense.

He's a decent back that can block and run but that's where it ends. Not a home run threat nor a receiving threat.

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode