Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  49 50 51 [52] 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:29:46 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

McShay thinks we are picking Ragnow with our pick...

According to Tomasson, the Vikings and even Sparano have had multiple extended conversations with him.

I could say the same thing about Billy Price. Combine and Pro Day.

Different. The Vikes have had multiple visits with multiple players. Some more than Price, including Ragnow.

The local press is highlighting, not just the visits, but personal phone calls with coaches, dinner, commentary from coaches and player, etc.

I will feel bad for Ragnow if he is on the board and we choose a different C. Like he got played in the subterfuge of the draft game.

Speilman is all about the cloak and dagger game. It wouldn't be at all surprising for him to draft somebody that he has not overtly had a lot of contact.

Absolutely true. But singling out a player and using him as a human shield for that necessary gamesmanship would be heartless.

I think DeLain said there are reports of similar volume of contact with Price.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 1276
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:31:37 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

If Mayfield goes first, all hell is gonna break loose.

Kinda sounding that way, isn't it?

Swagger and size reminds of Manziel.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 1277
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:34:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

According to Tomasson, the Vikings and even Sparano have had multiple extended conversations with him.

Different. The Vikes have had multiple visits with multiple players. Some more than Price, including Ragnow.

The local press is highlighting, not just the visits, but personal phone calls with coaches, dinner, commentary from coaches and player, etc.

I will feel bad for Ragnow if he is on the board and we choose a different C. Like he got played in the subterfuge of the draft game.

Speilman is all about the cloak and dagger game. It wouldn't be at all surprising for him to draft somebody that he has not overtly had a lot of contact.

Absolutely true. But singling out a player and using him as a human shield for that necessary gamesmanship would be heartless.

The Vikings have a tendency of very little to no contact with their top pick.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1278
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:34:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer
quote:

Ross Tucker started out this morning saying the same thing.....then Charlie Weis called in and told him he was wrong. Baker has had to prove himself everywhere he went, accepts coaching, and is a totally different guy than Manziel....according to the coach.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1279
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:41:19 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ross Tucker started out this morning saying the same thing.....then Charlie Weis called in and told him he was wrong. Baker has had to prove himself everywhere he went, accepts coaching, and is a totally different guy than Manziel....according to the coach.

Yeah, just swagger and size really.

I don't think there is big "party issue" with him.

He seems like a winner, who will do whatever it takes to win.

Could he rub some vets the wrong way? Possibly, probably.

Manziel with the "Money Fingers" gesture was dead giveaway of what mattered to him.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 1280
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:45:46 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

I don’t think even the Browns are that stupid.

At best Mayfield is Case Keesum with character issues mixed in.

Russell Wilson gets around his height issues with elite arm, mobility and preparation. Mayfield has none of those to fall back on.

Post #: 1281
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 3:52:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, just swagger and size really.

I don't think there is big "party issue" with him.

He seems like a winner, who will do whatever it takes to win.

Could he rub some vets the wrong way? Possibly, probably.

Manziel with the "Money Fingers" gesture was dead giveaway of what mattered to him.

Mayfield was easily the best QB in college football last year. He's shorter than teams would like him to be. How much does that matter? Time will tell. IMO he's the best QB in this years draft.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1282
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 4:32:01 PM   
kurt bilben

I think it’s all bluster by the Browns to manipulate the draft so they can come away with-

Darnold & Barkley
Post #: 1283
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 4:36:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock
The predicted pick: Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
The take: You want to talk about a road grader with an edge? He doesn't like people, and he finishes. His feet are better than people think.

ESPN’s Todd McShay
The predicted first-round pick: Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas
The take: My second-ranked center, Ragnow has been a fast riser the past couple of weeks. A three-year starter at Arkansas, he has versatility and the toughness to start right away. The Vikings could plug him in at center or guard and check off one of their needs.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr.
The predicted first-round pick: James Daniels, C/G, Iowa
The take: I thought about cornerback for Minnesota's already-loaded defense, but Daniels fits a need as a plug-and-play guard.

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah
The predicted first-round pick: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
The take: The Vikings upgrade the interior of their OL to protect Kirk Cousins.

NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks
The predicted first-round pick: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
The take: The Vikings shore up the biggest weakness on their roster by adding a versatile lineman with a polished game.

NFL Network’s Lance Zierlein
The predicted first-round pick: Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
The take: This isn't a sexy pick, but with Dalvin Cook coming back from injury, Hernandez is the type of blocker they need for the running game.

The Monday Morning Quarterback’s Peter King
The predicted pick: Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

1500ESPN.com’s Matthew Coller (Note: Coller did an extended mock draft. His first three Vikings picks are listed here).
The predicted first-round pick: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
The take: Goedert is an outstanding receiving tight end who was compared by NFL.com to Zach Ertz. He is a vertical threat with great hands, size and athleticism. Goedert also has the potential to become a solid blocker. Adding him to the mix with [Kyle] Rudolph can give Kirk Cousins a similar look to Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed in D.C. or Trey Burton/Ertz in Philly.

The predicted second-round pick: Brian O’Neill, T, Pittsburgh
The take: O’Neill still needs some work with technique and did not have a great Senior Bowl, so there are some concerns, but he could begin his career at guard if he isn’t ready to play tackle and fit right into the Vikings’ zone blocking scheme.

The predicted third-round pick: B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina State
The take: If Jaleel Johnson is going to serve as depth behind Sheldon Richardson, Hill would slide in as a backup (or rotational) nose tackle. The Vikings lost Shamar Stephen in the offseason to the Seahawks, opening up a spot for a run stuffer. Hill ranked in the top 20 in the class per PFF in Run Stop Percentage. He did not produce much as a pass rusher, but had an excellent Senior Bowl week.

The Star Tribune’s Mark Craig
The predicted pick: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
The take: Sets up the likelihood that the Vikings open the season with four first-rounders under 30 starting in the secondary.

The Star Tribune’s Ben Goessling (Note: Goessling did an extended mock draft. His first three Vikings picks are listed here).
The predicted first-round pick: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
The take: Sheldon Richardson is only signed for a year, the Vikings need more standout players in the middle of their line and Hurst, if he’s still on the board, could make an immediate impact as a pass rusher.

The predicted second-round pick: Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State
The take: Pat Elflein’s former college teammate could fall because of the pectoral injury he suffered at the NFL combine. If the Vikings get him here, he can line up at guard next to his friend.

The predicted third-round pick: Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
The take: He’d give them an athletic young slot receiver who also posted impressive numbers as a punt returner in college.

The Pioneer Press’ Chris Tomasson
The predicted pick: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
The take: Hurst was diagnosed with a heart issue that sidelined him for the combine before he was cleared to participate in Michigan’s pro day. Prior to his diagnosis, Hurst was a possible top-15 pick, but now he could fall to the Vikings, who need depth at 3-technique.

Charles Davis
Wil Hernandez

NFL.com’s Chad Reuter (Note: Reuter did an extended mock draft and his first three Vikings picks are listed here).
The predicted first-round pick: Mike McGlinchey, T, Notre Dame
The take: Bringing in competition at both offensive tackle spots would be a good thing for a team that needs to protect its new quarterback, Kirk Cousins.
The predicted second-round pick: Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State
The predicted third-round pick: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida

NFL.com’s Curtis Conway
The predicted pick: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
The take: The Vikings don't have a glaring need heading into the draft, but you can never go wrong adding more protection for your new franchise quarterback.

CBS Sports’ Chris Trapasso
The predicted pick: Kolton Miller, T, UCLA
The take: Miller has a game reminiscent of Nate Solder and can be a high-end pass-protector once he adds some strength. This is a shrewd pick after the big signing of Kirk Cousins this offseason.

NFL.com’s Peter Schrager (Note: Schrager did an extended mock draft and his first three Vikings picks are listed here).
The predicted first-round pick: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
The take: The Vikings add another piece to a defense that ranked No. 1 in the league last season. Vander Esch doesn't have a ton of tape beyond this past season, but it was an awfully impressive season in 2017. The Mountain West's Defensive Player of the Year dominated his conference, and in the nationally televised Las Vegas Bowl, he recorded 12 tackles, including 3 for a loss (one sack) and a forced fumble.
The predicted second-round pick: Braden Smith, G, Auburn
The predicted third-round pick: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State

CBS Sports’ Will Brinson
The predicted pick: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
The take: The Vikings like to draft cornerbacks early and then bring them along in Mike Zimmer's program slowly, letting them develop at the right time.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1284
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 4:53:41 PM   
69in09

I think all those selections are in play except Vander Esch and Go-gurt. I think first round is too early for both.

Post #: 1285
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:05:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He did say that. I am arguing that, according to the local press, Ragnow has had much more contact.
Post #: 1286
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:06:20 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

Phil:

quote:

The predicted first-round pick: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
The take: Goedert is an outstanding receiving tight end who was compared by NFL.com to Zach Ertz. He is a vertical threat with great hands, size and athleticism. Goedert also has the potential to become a solid blocker. Adding him to the mix with [Kyle] Rudolph can give Kirk Cousins a similar look to Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed in D.C. or Trey Burton/Ertz in Philly.

I could get on board with this... dude is a beast. Man among boys.

PPE II baby
Post #: 1287
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:12:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

I think all those selections are in play except Vander Esch and Go-gurt. I think first round is too early for both.

I agree. Save your gogurts for tomorrow. We are definitely trading back out of the first rd.
Post #: 1288
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:13:04 PM   
Todd M

The tweets that NFL network rolls throughout the pre draft show..wow do they ever add...absolutely nothing.

Existential midlife crisis mode engaged.
Post #: 1289
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:20:09 PM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Vikings have a tendency of very little to no contact with their top pick.

I agree with this unless it is for medical reasons. The Vikes visited with early and late rounders on the offensive line.
Post #: 1290
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:20:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The tweets that NFL network rolls throughout the pre draft show..wow do they ever add...absolutely nothing.

I dont know ... the tweet about Ragnow forgetting a sock under Sporano's bed has certainly altered my draft challenge strategy.
Post #: 1291
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:20:59 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Do we begin a new grouping of nfl draft soon with a page one? There's going to be a whole bunch of posts soon.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 1292
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:23:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Do we begin a new grouping of nfl draft soon with a page one? There's going to be a whole bunch of posts soon.

At 7PM central time would be when to do that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1293
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:27:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

More importantly:

Can the forum make it through a draft without crashing?

(Probably, as we don't have nearly the volume of posters we did in years past...)
Post #: 1294
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:32:01 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He did say that. I am arguing that, according to the local press, Ragnow has had much more contact.

I don’t know if he put out a story, but Tomasson tweeted about it a ton.

Tomasson reported there has been a lot of contact over a long period of time.

It seems odd this is released a day prior to the draft.

Post #: 1295
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:52:29 PM   
ambear

Wow, draft day coverage sure has turned into a spectacle. Natl anthem, what's next the fly by? Oh well beats regular programing.
Post #: 1296
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:56:51 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

There's always time for a little brainwashing.

PPE II baby
Post #: 1297
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 6:58:48 PM   
bohumm

If I had to bet it's Hernandez or Ragnow at 30, but neither may be available and I also agree with those who think there's a high likelihood for a trade back. Every time I start thinking it goes one way, something makes me think it goes otherwise. My preference is Ragnow, but I've been compelled by some that it's actually Hernandez that fits what the Vikings want.

Just make it an interior OL, please.......
Post #: 1298
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 7:07:29 PM   
Tim Cady

Hernandez looks like Dave Dixon to me! I predicted Connor Williams and Billy Price 1 and 2 with trade down in mind.

I think if a defensive tackle like Da'Ron Payne were to fall and get past Falcons that is our pick at 30.

Love Hernandez and Wynn and Frank Ragnow and Daniels at 30

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 1299
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 4/26/2018 7:07:36 PM   
David Levine

100K Cowboys fans stop booing just long enough to cheer Aikman, Whitten and Staubach...
Post #: 1300
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 51 [52] 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  49 50 51 [52] 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode