Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 8:18:52 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Over at Walter Football's "consensus draft", they have the Vikings with Billy Price being the most popular choice at 16%, Mike McGlinchey at 10% (will he be available?- I doubt it), and Will Hernandez at 10%.

http://www.walterfootball.com/mocks/Consensus/nfl/2018/1

Just in case, here is McGlinchey's draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mike-mcglinchey?id=2559891

Billy Price probably just tore his pectoral doing the bench press at the combine.

That's awful news. What a bad time to get hurt.
Post #: 126
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 9:10:57 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Yikes. Cross him off the list.

Maybe he/Price drops to the late second round as a result? Pick up Hurst and Price without trading up?

Sign me up.

Might be able to get Orlando Brown at #30. Only 14 reps at combine.

I would be fine with nasty Hernandez at #30.

Hernandez 37 reps, 5.14 forty

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 3/2/2018 9:28:36 AM >
Post #: 127
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 9:28:29 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Maybe he/Price drops to the late second round as a result? Pick up Hurst and Price without trading up?

Sign me up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918651/article/ohio-state-ol-billy-price-suffers-partially-torn-pec

Looks like it's only a partial tear. Might hurt his draft stock a bit, but Price is saying he'll be fine for the start of camp.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 128
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 10:01:37 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sign me up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918651/article/ohio-state-ol-billy-price-suffers-partially-torn-pec

Looks like it's only a partial tear. Might hurt his draft stock a bit, but Price is saying he'll be fine for the start of camp.

Well, he's not a doctor, so I wont take his word for it. With that being said, even if it was a full tear, the recovery time is about 8-9 months. At worst, you could PUP him and then activate him later in the season.

But, regardless, because he will miss some offseason time and will be limited in training camp, he wont lift or do a bunch of overly physical things. It could end up being a redshirt type of year. But, in 2019, he probably will slay.

I'd trade down in the 1st and take him with my first 2nd rounder and think nothing of it. He's not going to drop that far from the end of the 1st.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 129
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 11:02:01 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sign me up.

Well, he's not a doctor, so I wont take his word for it. With that being said, even if it was a full tear, the recovery time is about 8-9 months. At worst, you could PUP him and then activate him later in the season.

But, regardless, because he will miss some offseason time and will be limited in training camp, he wont lift or do a bunch of overly physical things. It could end up being a redshirt type of year. But, in 2019, he probably will slay.

I'd trade down in the 1st and take him with my first 2nd rounder and think nothing of it. He's not going to drop that far from the end of the 1st.

Torn pecs don't heal themselves. If it's a tear of any substance, he is going to have to have this worked on at some point.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 130
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 1:25:57 PM   
Chris Olson

I haven't spent much time watching the combine, but watched the RB 40's and wow is that God awful viewing...

not just that they were slow, it really reveals how useless the 40 is...

many of them couldn't figure out how to get a good start and many stumbled their way down the track...

yawn
Post #: 131
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 1:43:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I haven't spent much time watching the combine, but watched the RB 40's and wow is that God awful viewing...

many of them couldn't figure out how to get a good start and many stumbled their way down the track...

yawn

That's always been my biggest problem with the 40. If you aren't good getting out of sprinter's blocks (a specific skill), the time you run is basically irrelevant.

I think that alone explains why so many guys seem to "play faster" than their 40 time.
Post #: 132
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 4:24:57 PM   
McMurfy

Baker Mayfield referred to himself as Brutally Honest,
which is The Asshole’s way of saying “I’m an Asshole”

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 133
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:32:05 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

At least he admits it. I have no problem with someone stepping up and saying that. It saves the fans a lot of breath saying it for him.
Post #: 134
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:33:47 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

yawn

That's always been my biggest problem with the 40. If you aren't good getting out of sprinter's blocks (a specific skill), the time you run is basically irrelevant.

I think that alone explains why so many guys seem to "play faster" than their 40 time.

The 40 is a silly metric. I would rather judge a guy on his three cone drill and how he moves on tape. Cook ran a 4.5, but he played much faster than that.
Post #: 135
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:35:25 PM   
joejitsu

I like Hernandez even more now than I did before the combine. He's a real mauler inside, and he showed some movement skills today.
Post #: 136
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:37:19 PM   
Ian Joseph

Orlando Brown ran the 40 in almost SIX seconds. That's Rich Eisen territory. Plus, he's bad a lazy and highly unathletic combine.

He might be there on Day 3.

Believe.
Post #: 137
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:41:41 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Orlando Brown ran the 40 in almost SIX seconds. That's Rich Eisen territory. Plus, he's bad a lazy and highly unathletic combine.

He might be there on Day 3.

Oh, boy. He looked TERRIBLE in the drills today. He put up 225 like 17 times. My little brother benches more than that, and he's 48 years old! Maybe he plays a lot better than he tests?
Post #: 138
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 5:59:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

At least he admits it. I have no problem with someone stepping up and saying that. It saves the fans a lot of breath saying it for him.

Charchian said that he would like him in Purple if free agency doesn't go the right way. He says that his arm is "good enough", but not great, but very accurate. He's rather short for a Pro quarterback and I believe that's the number one reason he's not projected as a top ten pick.

I don't believe others look at him as an a** hole as evidenced by what it says here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/baker-mayfield?id=2560063

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 139
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 6:03:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

How does he (Orlando Brown) look when he's blocking defensive ends? I think he's one of those guys who can "block out the sun", but I would want to see how he moves his feet with a pass rusher on him. Strength might be the easiest thing to correct, but not quickness. Speed doesn't matter at his position, but quickness does.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 140
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 6:04:10 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

yawn

True, but I still like it.

These guys have eight weeks to prepare for a process that could determine their financial future. I love the guys that take it serious, prepare, learn and improve on certain skills that will be measured. Says a lot about the player that does that.
Post #: 141
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 6:20:03 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Charchian said that he would like him in Purple if free agency doesn't go the right way. He says that his arm is "good enough", but not great, but very accurate. He's rather short for a Pro quarterback and I believe that's the number one reason he's not projected as a top ten pick.

I don't believe others look at him as an a** hole as evidenced by what it says here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/baker-mayfield?id=2560063

I stopped reading your link at
Height 6’1”

Pass

Post #: 142
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 6:43:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One inch taller than Drew Brees.

Post #: 143
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 7:12:38 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

How does he (Orlando Brown) look when he's blocking defensive ends? I think he's one of those guys who can "block out the sun", but I would want to see how he moves his feet with a pass rusher on him. Strength might be the easiest thing to correct, but not quickness. Speed doesn't matter at his position, but quickness does.

That sounds nice, but when coaches are on your ads at the combine about loafing through a drill, that's a big ass flag on its own. Put that with these heavily uninspiring workout numbers and it clearly tells me this current guy isn't the one on tape.

The underwear Olympics isn't the tell-all, but it matters. If you show your natural ass here, folks are supposed to trust in your work ethic and talent by using a high draft pick? Cmon.

Believe.
Post #: 144
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 7:24:07 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

yawn

The 40 is a silly metric. I would rather judge a guy on his three cone drill and how he moves on tape. Cook ran a 4.5, but he played much faster than that.

I think the 40 is a necessary evil. It gives a tangible standard that has been used for years.

You just used it in your example wit Cook. You stated he ran a 4.5 forty but run faster than his time. Everyone has a good idea of what that means. It’s imperfect, but it’s a commonly accepted standard that everyone knows.

Especially when evaluated in concert with the shorter runs, it gives a solid picture.

Post #: 145
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 7:46:09 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

One inch taller than Drew Brees.

That was predictable.

Send me $5 and I’ll ship you a copy of my book,

1,000 Good But Short College Quarterbacks who didn’t produce in the NFL.

Do it before midnight and I’ll also send you my 2 minute DVD,

Great Moments in Gopher Football.
It has a great 1940’s Soundtrack.

Post #: 146
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/2/2018 9:21:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

When Reno Hightower was an asshole he was the best qb in the history of Kern County.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 147
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/3/2018 7:47:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

yawn

Most of these guys must not have run track in HS which is kind of odd.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 148
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/3/2018 7:50:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Some of these big guys do well in college merely because they're bigger than they're opponent.

Brown has the makings of a bust.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 149
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 3/3/2018 9:19:17 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Some of these big guys do well in college merely because they're bigger than they're opponent.

Brown has the makings of a bust.

To me this is the part where fans have to realize (like teams already do) these are still kids.

IMO; Brown got "senioritis", just like high school kids get. He's probably never had to be self motivated in his life. A lot of these guys have this same risk, some just hide it better.

This is a guy that lost his dad (former NFLer) when he was in high school.

I think this will knock him back a little bit, but programs will see he is a guy that will just need additional support.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode