Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:29:51 AM   
David Levine

Meet Holton Hill, the most interesting player in Vikings camp

https://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/meet-holton-hill-interesting-player-vikings-camp/
Post #: 8501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:32:22 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Meet Holton Hill, the most interesting player in Vikings camp

https://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/meet-holton-hill-interesting-player-vikings-camp/

He's the most interesting man on the Vikings

He once parallel parked a train
When in Rome, they do as he does
When he flirts with danger, danger gets clingy

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 8502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:37:22 AM   
Bill Jandro

Hill, the most interesting man in the world.

Look no further than Josh Gordon as one possible path of a pot head.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 8503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:44:04 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Low risk. High potential. We all have to like that.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:50:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

And maybe there is a 0% chance it'll happen and it's a waste of time speculating on it.

Anybody remember how the Wilfs terminated Tice’s Viking Tenure.

Yeah I’d agree with Todd.

You mean "after the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes", and then less than a month later, implemented wholesale changes. Including letting Tice walk."?

So you think he doesn't want a job? I think 13 years is a long time and if I remember Tice did a few things to embarrass the Wilfs also.

I don't remember those.

And yes, he said he was retiring, because he felt todays players don't take well to coaching. So he might well not want a job.

Organized the Scalped Players Tickets for Profit
Was Coach during the Party Boat

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:53:33 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/opinion/kyle-rudolph-poised-for-monster-2018-season

Also, it appears as if Cousins and Rudolph have already built some chemistry during minicamp and OTAs.

“Boy, he’s a friendly target,” Cousins, wired for an OTA practice, said shortly after firing a pass to Rudolph. “It’s like throwing into a mattress.”

smells a lot like a career season for Rudolph the Red-Zone Reindeer

Post #: 8506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 11:33:46 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If Barone is appointed OL coach there is maybe a 1% chance Tice is offered the TE coaching vacancy.

Probably a less than 1% chance he takes it.

I think 1% is about 1% too high.

We're not bringing in any outside coaches.

The last time Tice was a good coach, he coached our Oline.

And I don't think he's coming back.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 8507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 12:36:00 PM   
marty

The OL for the Raiders was good 2 years ago.

The OL for the Vikings in Tice's OL, were really good. I would take slightly above mediocre right now, and Tice would provide that or better.
Post #: 8508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 12:43:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The OL for the Raiders was good 2 years ago.

The OL for the Vikings in Tice's OL, were really good. I would take slightly above mediocre right now, and Tice would provide that or better.

Is he bringing the talent that he had on those lines with him? Because we sure don't measure up with what we have now.

You think completely changing our scheme on the first day of TC is a good idea?

Tice has no connection to these players or coaches. Stop pining for the past and look to the future.
Post #: 8509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 1:23:41 PM   
Bill Jandro

Neither did Flip and Zim hired him.

If Barone is promoted we'd have an opening for a TE coach. I think there's a very small chance they fill this from the outside but if they did Tice could be a candidate.

Not as the Oline coach though.

Post #: 8510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 1:25:32 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Neither did Flip and Zim hired him.

If Barone is promoted we'd have an opening for a TE coach. I think there's a very small chance they fill this from the outside but if they did Tice could be a candidate.

Not as the Oline coach though.

Zim didn't hire Flip the day TC started.
Post #: 8511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 1:53:57 PM   
marty

I am not talking about scheme change, and if it's like Ian said, to just fine tune things, I think Tice would do a fine job of that.

I heard the same sort of 0% chance of Doleman coming back to Minnesota, he came back and made the Vikings better.

While I agree that bringing back former players doesn't usually work out, the Moss the Patriots got wouldn't have been bad.
Post #: 8512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 2:04:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I am not talking about scheme change, and if it's like Ian said, to just fine tune things, I think Tice would do a fine job of that.

So he's going to "fine tune" a technique he's never coached?

How does that work? Does he ask the players what he should be working on?

Just because someone used to be a Viking doesn't mean he's the best choice now. Especially when he has no connection to the coach or players and has a shaky, at best. history with the owner.

The world is a big place. You don't need to think so insular.
Post #: 8513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 2:10:34 PM   
SoMnFan

“It’s like throwing into a mattress.”

That made me smile.
For quite awhile
Post #: 8514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 2:18:44 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

So he's going to "fine tune" a technique he's never coached?

How does that work? Does he ask the players what he should be working on?

Just because someone used to be a Viking doesn't mean he's the best choice now. Especially when he has no connection to the coach or players and has a shaky, at best. history with the owner.

The world is a big place. You don't need to think so insular.

David, stop fighting it. Tice is destined to return to the Vikings and transform the O-Line into the most dominant unit in the NFL. Forget that he has never coached a zone blocking scheme. Forget that his smash mouth, power blocking scheme does not fit the Vikings offensive scheme. You're over thinking it man. Embrace the inevitability.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 8515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 2:20:38 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I see one report that the Vikings are considering Harold Goodwin for the online coach job. I think he was a coordinator with the Cardinals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Goodwin_(American_football)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/24/2018 2:21:59 PM >

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 3:28:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I suppose the advantage of bringing in another coach is that it doesn't disrupt any of what the other coaches are doing with their respective position groups. Goodwin obviously must have been successful with coaching offensive lines because he used it as a springboard to become an offensive coordinator. He coached for the Steelers, so I imagine he had something to do with a Super Bowl championship there. I have no idea if he has experience with the zone blocking scheme, or not, though.

Earlier this off-season, Zimmer gave consideration to Kevin Stefanski for the offensive coordinator's position, but opted instead to bring another coach into the organization. Perhaps he will do that again. He may be thinking that more great minds are better, especially for the offense, because that's outside of his personal expertise.

And this is not yet the final decision, so he may very well decide to make the changes internally, yet.

Post #: 8517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 3:47:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at this article, it looks like the Eagles ran a "hybrid zone blocking scheme" along with a power scheme. Arizona ran a combination of zone blocking and power.

I have no idea what hybrid zone blocking means. Maybe one of you guys out there can explain it. I just wonder if our new coordinator would be interested in tinkering with the scheme.

I did find this comment to be interesting in my short research on the subject:

But when you go 100% to a single blocking scheme you no longer have a game plan offense. You give up any flexibility to make adjustments based on your opponents weaknesses or on their player's skillsets. Most teams are multiple to some extent.

Post #: 8518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 3:56:49 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One thing I gathered from talking with my sister the dentist who had a Viking as a patient. The players (and I'm sure coaches) are always thinking about what they can do to get the "extra edge" to enable them to be more successful. I hear in interviews players and coaches saying "we're trying to get better". I'm sure that thinking plays a lot into the decision for whom to choose and why for the position.

Post #: 8519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 3:59:10 PM   
David Levine

Ben Goessling✔@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings had not talked to Goodwin directly yet, as of early this afternoon, but his name is worth keeping in mind, among others. Assistant OL coach Andrew Janocko is handling the position group for now.

12:13 PM - Jul 24, 2018
Post #: 8520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 4:54:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-add-offensive-lineman-j-p-quinn-to-roster

Post #: 8521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 5:53:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

And maybe there is a 0% chance it'll happen and it's a waste of time speculating on it.

Anybody remember how the Wilfs terminated Tice’s Viking Tenure.

Yeah I’d agree with Todd.

You mean "after the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes", and then less than a month later, implemented wholesale changes. Including letting Tice walk."?

So you think he doesn't want a job? I think 13 years is a long time and if I remember Tice did a few things to embarrass the Wilfs also.

I don't remember those.

And yes, he said he was retiring, because he felt todays players don't take well to coaching. So he might well not want a job.

Organized the Scalped Players Tickets for Profit
Was Coach during the Party Boat

All of which happened well before "the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes"
Post #: 8522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 6:07:19 PM   
David Levine

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
NFL Network reported former Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin could be a candidate for #Vikings offensive line coach. Source said Vikings haven't reached out to Goodwin although that doesn't mean they won't at some point. He coached lines at Chicago, Pittsburgh, Indy

--------

How do you "report" on something that you only think could possibly happen in the future?
Post #: 8523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 9:14:06 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The Wilf's fired Tice 45 minutes after the Vikings season was done.

Tice is in the record book for fastest fired HC after their season.

Yeah, I'll bet he's salivating for a Vikings job under the Wilf bros
Post #: 8524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/25/2018 8:33:25 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/general-news/who-will-replace-sparano-as-offensive-line-coach

Names like Andrew Janocko, Mike Tice and Clancy Berone are being Kicked Around

Post #: 8525
Page:   <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  339 340 [341] 342 343   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode