Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 10:14:47 AM   
The Happy Norseman

Winners, losers and fallout from Washington's trade for Alex Smith
play
6:58 AM CT

Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer

Winners: The Bills, Broncos, Browns, Cardinals, Dolphins, Jets and Vikings

If you're a team with either a hole or a problematic veteran at quarterback now and no real path toward a new starter, congrats! One of you is almost assuredly going to end up pocketing a bona fide, above-average NFL quarterback for nothing more than money. That's a dream scenario, and every one of these teams woke up Wednesday morning imagining what their pitch to Cousins will be like over the next couple of months.

There's no perfect fit on this list. The Vikings are the furthest along on a football level and have plenty of cap space, but they have tons of talent to re-sign with players such as Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter approaching free agency next offseason. They would be making a tough choice to devote significant cap room toward a quarterback at the expense of several other positions on their roster over the years to come. It wouldn't necessarily be a wrong move, of course, but Minnesota just came within one game of the Super Bowl with a third-string quarterback no team wanted before the season. It might think about running this back with Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater at low-end starter money over the next couple of years.

To me, franchising Keenum is the safest play for the Vikings going into next year. However, if Cousins is an obvious upgrade, it seems like we should make a move on him. The question is: how much of an upgrade is he?

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 76
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 10:16:57 AM   
Ryan Anderson

I also think that if the Vikings felt as strongly about Teddy, and didn't want to lose a potential franchise QB, they should have picked up his fifth year option to gain more time to evaluate him post-injury. We're in the awkward place of having to sign him as a starter, assuming no tolling, when we could have kept him on roster on his rookie deal.
Post #: 77
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 10:52:41 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

play

If you're a team with either a hole or a problematic veteran at quarterback now and no real path toward a new starter, congrats! One of you is almost assuredly going to end up pocketing a bona fide, above-average NFL quarterback for nothing more than money. That's a dream scenario, and every one of these teams woke up Wednesday morning imagining what their pitch to Cousins will be like over the next couple of months.

There's no perfect fit on this list. The Vikings are the furthest along on a football level and have plenty of cap space, but they have tons of talent to re-sign with players such as Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter approaching free agency next offseason. They would be making a tough choice to devote significant cap room toward a quarterback at the expense of several other positions on their roster over the years to come. It wouldn't necessarily be a wrong move, of course, but Minnesota just came within one game of the Super Bowl with a third-string quarterback no team wanted before the season. It might think about running this back with Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater at low-end starter money over the next couple of years.

To me, franchising Keenum is the safest play for the Vikings going into next year. However, if Cousins is an obvious upgrade, it seems like we should make a move on him. The question is: how much of an upgrade is he?

Do you consider Case (or Teddy for that matter) to be a "bona fide, above-average NFL quarterback"?

That just sounds weird. "That guy is a bona fide above average player"
Post #: 78
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 10:55:03 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Anderson

I also think that if the Vikings felt as strongly about Teddy, and didn't want to lose a potential franchise QB, they should have picked up his fifth year option to gain more time to evaluate him post-injury. We're in the awkward place of having to sign him as a starter, assuming no tolling, when we could have kept him on roster on his rookie deal.

At the time of picking up the 5th year option Teddy's recovery was much much more in doubt than it is now.
Post #: 79
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 10:58:56 AM   
SoMnFan

Leave it to us to now have THIS dilemma on our plate.
Always something.
I like Case. Love his story. I think he can lead us, I know he can back up for us.
I like Teddy. Love his story. Has shown he can lead us. I doubt he wants to back anyone up. I doubt he will ever be healthy.
I like Sam more than either guy. But cannot defend his durability. Elite when he plays. I'd hate to give that up. I want us to be the one who finally gets the most out of him.
Post #: 80
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:12:58 AM   
Ryan Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan Anderson

At the time of picking up the 5th year option Teddy's recovery was much much more in doubt than it is now.

Right. And at the time, they likely planned on Bradford being the starter for the forseeable future, having given up a first rounder.

I just feel it is too big of a risk to sign Teddy and lose Case. I'd much prefer keeping both. Picking up Teddy's fifth year would have been a nice insurance policy.
Post #: 81
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:15:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

It's important to think about Barr, Diggs, and Hunter but QB is the most important thing. Get a quality QB FIRST and then worry about the rest.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 82
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:21:38 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Apparently, the Redskins have offered Cousins a contract about a year ago averaging 12.5ml per.

Stafford's deal has him avg 27ml per

Some speculation in the past predicted Cousins could garner 30ml per if he were to hit the open market.

22ml vs 30ml is equal to being able to keep a player like Barr or letting him walk.

I've got to assume this is a typo. 12.5M doesn't represent a relistic contract for him. I'm certain you meant 22.5M?

IMO good to great QBs are still underpaid. They make everyone around them better. They cover up weaknesses- this makes them a better value.

Look at the QBs getting 20M and under and compare them to the ones making more- there is a huge difference.

The only real undecided issue is whether Cousins really is an upper elcheon QB or not.

Yo. To this point Cousins has not made the players around him better to the point of a single playoff win. At 29, you can even argue he may be on the downside of his career as his last 2 seasons have trended downward a bit from his career best 2015.

At 29 is Case Keenum on his downside?

In all fairness, he's played in 1 playoff game. Threw for 320 and ran for 60 more. 1 rushing TD and 1 throwing TD, no INTs. Aaron Rodgers put 35 on their Defense.

WAS defense has ranked in the bottom half every year he's been starter.

WAS rushing has decreased each of the last three years, and has been in the bottom half every year he's been starter.

He lost his two top receivers, Garcon and Jackson heading into this year. Jordan, one of the best pass-catching TEs in the league, was hurt most of the year. There were other injuries to oline as well (sacks jumped from 23 to 41). Context helps explain his decline this year.

His "down year" he threw for 4000 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs (added 200 yards and 4TD rushing).

I don't think he is Brady or Rodgers good. But I think he is a top 5 QB in the league, especially playing for us.

I'm not advocating we sign him. But we spent 23M on QB this past year. Spending 5M-7M more if Zimmer and FO think he's an upgrade? I am more than ok with that. I would also be comfortable enough to go into the season with him and Sloter.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 83
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:25:19 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

It's important to think about Barr, Diggs, and Hunter but QB is the most important thing. Get a quality QB FIRST and then worry about the rest.

Is Cousins that guy? Or is he just a "bona fide above average" QB? Is bona fide above average good enough? Seems to me he is not an inspiriational leader, which you absolutely have to be, to be that guy.
Post #: 84
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:32:30 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

Apparently, the Redskins have offered Cousins a contract about a year ago averaging 12.5ml per.

Some speculation in the past predicted Cousins could garner 30ml per if he were to hit the open market.

22ml vs 30ml is equal to being able to keep a player like Barr or letting him walk.

I've got to assume this is a typo. 12.5M doesn't represent a relistic contract for him. I'm certain you meant 22.5M?

IMO good to great QBs are still underpaid. They make everyone around them better. They cover up weaknesses- this makes them a better value.

Look at the QBs getting 20M and under and compare them to the ones making more- there is a huge difference.

The only real undecided issue is whether Cousins really is an upper elcheon QB or not.

Yo. To this point Cousins has not made the players around him better to the point of a single playoff win. At 29, you can even argue he may be on the downside of his career as his last 2 seasons have trended downward a bit from his career best 2015.

In all fairness, he's played in 1 playoff game. Threw for 320 and ran for 60 more. 1 rushing TD and 1 throwing TD, no INTs. Aaron Rodgers put 35 on their Defense.

WAS rushing has decreased each of the last three years, and has been in the bottom half every year he's been starter.

He lost his two top receivers, Garcon and Jackson heading into this year. Jordan, one of the best pass-catching TEs in the league, was hurt most of the year. There were other injuries to oline as well (sacks jumped from 23 to 41). Context helps explain his decline this year.

His "down year" he threw for 4000 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INTs (added 200 yards and 4TD rushing).

I don't think he is Brady or Rodgers good. But I think he is a top 5 QB in the league, especially playing for us.

I'm not advocating we sign him. But we spent 23M on QB this past year. Spending 5M-7M more if Zimmer and FO think he's an upgrade? I am more than ok with that. I would also be comfortable enough to go into the season with him and Sloter.

Fair enough. You could argue that as long as Daniel Snyder is holding the purse strings in Washington, the Redskins will always be "meh" at best.

And if we do sign him, does the team around him start to trend downward as we have to let guys go?

< Message edited by thebigo -- 1/31/2018 11:34:37 AM >
Post #: 85
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:32:51 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

He also hasn't missed a game since being named the starter 3 seasons ago. Even 4 years ago when he started a handful of games, he was benched for poor play (for RG3), not injury.

"Availability" is a very important attribute.
Post #: 86
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:35:33 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Hasn't seemed to work for the Redskins.
Post #: 87
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:36:48 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hasn't seemed to work for the Redskins.

Truly a model of drafting, signings and cap management throughout the years...
Post #: 88
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:36:53 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is Cousins that guy? Or is he just a "bona fide above average" QB? Is bona fide above average good enough? Seems to me he is not an inspiriational leader, which you absolutely have to be, to be that guy.

I don't think the question is 'is Cousins that guy' because we have to play him to find out. I think the question is 'is he better than what we have' and that answer is clearly yes.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 89
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 11:41:45 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think the question is 'is Cousins that guy' because we have to play him to find out. I think the question is 'is he better than what we have' and that answer is clearly yes.

The question is will adding him to the roster take us to the promised land? Or does he actually make us a better team? Those answers are far from clear.
Post #: 90
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:01:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The question is will adding him to the roster take us to the promised land? Or does he actually make us a better team? Those answers are far from clear.

Nick Foles might just win the Super Bowl for Philly on Sunday but come the day after he will still be their backup - because Carson Wentz is better.

Post #: 91
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:07:44 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

play

Do you consider Case (or Teddy for that matter) to be a "bona fide, above-average NFL quarterback"?

considering those teams mentioned, i think cousins would be crazy not to pick the vikings - even for a few million less than the others are offering...cousins will earn between $150-200m during his career...his life will be much more complete if he's on a team that is contending from the start - like the minnesota vikings....

brady has been taking less money for several seasons so his team can afford better players to surround him with....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/31/2018 12:08:58 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 92
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:25:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

play

considering those teams mentioned, i think cousins would be crazy not to pick the vikings - even for a few million less than the others are offering...cousins will earn between $150-200m during his career...his life will be much more complete if he's on a team that is contending from the start - like the minnesota vikings....

brady has been taking less money for several seasons so his team can afford better players to surround him with....

How many Super Bowls did Brady win before he started taking pay cuts?

I still think the Jags are the Dark Horse team. That's a young SB caliber roster in desperate need of a QB. And I believe they can cut Bortles before mid-March and not owe a cent of his 18M 5th year option.
Post #: 93
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:32:15 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nick Foles might just win the Super Bowl for Philly on Sunday but come the day after he will still be their backup - because Carson Wentz is better.

For the sake of argument, I'll give you that Cousins would be more likely to throw for 4000 yards and more TDs than anybody we currently have on the rosters.

What about a big spot in a big game? No indications in his career that Cousins will deliver in those situations. A career 26-28-1 record
Post #: 94
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:36:10 PM   
ratoppenheimer

twitter....

'As we wait on Vikings' OC decision, sources believe QB coach Kevin Stefanski is in strong position for the job. The Giants' interest in Stefanski for their OC job under Pat Shurmur could factor into things, as well.'

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 95
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:37:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The answers to the questions I posted are still far from clear.
Post #: 96
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:38:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For the sake of argument, I'll give you that Cousins would be more likely to throw for 4000 yards and more TDs than anybody we currently have on the rosters.

What about a big spot in a big game? No indications in his career that Cousins will deliver in those situations. A career 26-28-1 record

Stealing from Pager:

quote:

WAS defense rankings by yards:

2017 - 20th.
2016 - 27th.
2015 - 27th.

WAS rushing by yards:
2017 - 28th
2016 - 21st
2015 - 20th.

With those numbers, it feels like 26-28-1 is more of an accomplishment than a damning.
Post #: 97
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:42:47 PM   
Justin Sampson

I would be absolutely shocked if we forked out the kind of money some of the other lower tier teams are just chomping at to sign Cousins. Nor would I want us to.

We have something those other teams don't, leverage to bring back one of our own, legit starter. At what will be much less than what Cousins will get.

The only player I would give huge money to on a very short term deal is Drew Brees. We'd be instant favorites next year. I doubt he ever leaves New Orleans though.

I really believe we will end up with one of the three, and roll with Sloter as the backup. My gut tells me it will be Teddy.
Post #: 98
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:46:04 PM   
TJSweens

I'm not sold on Keenum as a legit starter. Seeing as the words "franchise him" are being tossed around, he isn't likely to be much of a savings over Cousins. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I would much rather spend it on Cousins.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 99
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:47:28 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think we sign Teddy as a backup only. That alone is not without substantial risk.

If we could sign Cousin's to an Alex Smith deal I'd be ok with that.

But under no circumstances would I want Cousin's for Stafford money.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode