Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:51:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

The thing I would be the most concerned about is whether or not teammates would be willing to go to war with Cousin's as your leader.

That seems to be the knock on him in Wash

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:55:16 PM   
Justin Sampson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I think we sign Teddy as a backup only. That alone is not without substantial risk.

If we could sign Cousin's to an Alex Smith deal I'd be ok with that.

But under no circumstances would I want Cousin's for Stafford money.

According to Spotrac, Cousins will fetch something to the tune of $25 million per year over 5 years. That’s a contract in line with the last few major QB deals – Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, and the market seems to have finally caught up to the Joe Flacco mistake. That’s not taking into account the possible bidding war – the Broncos, Jets, Bills, and other QB-needy teams may drive his price up even further.

https://purpleptsd.com/kirk-cousins-is-a-bad-idea/
Post #: 102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 12:55:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There's no perfect fit on this list. The Vikings are the furthest along on a football level and have plenty of cap space, but they have tons of talent to re-sign with players such as Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter approaching free agency next offseason. They would be making a tough choice to devote significant cap room toward a quarterback at the expense of several other positions on their roster over the years to come. It wouldn't necessarily be a wrong move, of course, but Minnesota just came within one game of the Super Bowl with a third-string quarterback no team wanted before the season. It might think about running this back with Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater at low-end starter money over the next couple of years.

It's important to think about Barr, Diggs, and Hunter but QB is the most important thing. Get a quality QB FIRST and then worry about the rest.

Is Cousins that guy? Or is he just a "bona fide above average" QB? Is bona fide above average good enough? Seems to me he is not an inspiriational leader, which you absolutely have to be, to be that guy.

I don't think the question is 'is Cousins that guy' because we have to play him to find out. I think the question is 'is he better than what we have' and that answer is clearly yes.

The question is will adding him to the roster take us to the promised land? Or does he actually make us a better team? Those answers are far from clear.

Nick Foles might just win the Super Bowl for Philly on Sunday but come the day after he will still be their backup - because Carson Wentz is better.

For the sake of argument, I'll give you that Cousins would be more likely to throw for 4000 yards and more TDs than anybody we currently have on the rosters.

What about a big spot in a big game? No indications in his career that Cousins will deliver in those situations. A career 26-28-1 record

Stealing from Pager:

quote:

WAS defense rankings by yards:

2017 - 20th.
2016 - 27th.
2015 - 27th.

WAS rushing by yards:
2017 - 28th
2016 - 21st
2015 - 20th.

With those numbers, it feels like 26-28-1 is more of an accomplishment than a damning.

Maybe. 3 2017 playoff teams rank lower on the 2017 defense rankings by yards list than the Redskins
Post #: 103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:02:36 PM   
Justin Sampson

The Browns have $102 million in cap space with no quarterback options. If they want Cousins they can afford to pay him big money.

The Jets, $77 million, no quarterback.

Denver has $24 million but will unload Talib to make room.

Someone will pay elite money for him. It won't be the Vikings.
Post #: 104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:02:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There's no perfect fit on this list. The Vikings are the furthest along on a football level and have plenty of cap space, but they have tons of talent to re-sign with players such as Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter approaching free agency next offseason. They would be making a tough choice to devote significant cap room toward a quarterback at the expense of several other positions on their roster over the years to come. It wouldn't necessarily be a wrong move, of course, but Minnesota just came within one game of the Super Bowl with a third-string quarterback no team wanted before the season. It might think about running this back with Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater at low-end starter money over the next couple of years.

It's important to think about Barr, Diggs, and Hunter but QB is the most important thing. Get a quality QB FIRST and then worry about the rest.

Is Cousins that guy? Or is he just a "bona fide above average" QB? Is bona fide above average good enough? Seems to me he is not an inspiriational leader, which you absolutely have to be, to be that guy.

I don't think the question is 'is Cousins that guy' because we have to play him to find out. I think the question is 'is he better than what we have' and that answer is clearly yes.

The question is will adding him to the roster take us to the promised land? Or does he actually make us a better team? Those answers are far from clear.

Nick Foles might just win the Super Bowl for Philly on Sunday but come the day after he will still be their backup - because Carson Wentz is better.

For the sake of argument, I'll give you that Cousins would be more likely to throw for 4000 yards and more TDs than anybody we currently have on the rosters.

What about a big spot in a big game? No indications in his career that Cousins will deliver in those situations. A career 26-28-1 record

Stealing from Pager:

quote:

2017 - 20th.
2016 - 27th.
2015 - 27th.

WAS rushing by yards:
2017 - 28th
2016 - 21st
2015 - 20th.

With those numbers, it feels like 26-28-1 is more of an accomplishment than a damning.

Maybe. 3 2017 playoff teams rank lower on the 2017 defense rankings by yards list than the Redskins

All 3 of those teams were Top 10 in rushing (Washington was 28th). And one of them was New England who gave up a lot of garbage yards, but were Top 5 in points.
Post #: 105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:03:29 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stealing from Pager:

quote:

2017 - 20th.
2016 - 27th.
2015 - 27th.

WAS rushing by yards:
2017 - 28th
2016 - 21st
2015 - 20th.

What is the lowest ranking rushing playoff team? I'd be willing to bet none were in the bottom half. There is a reason I posted both. I think we've seen up close and personal that both defense and rushing are important to team success.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:10:55 PM   
David F.

Did anyone watch the NFCCG? In case you didn't let me bring you up to speed. Keenum threw 2 picks and lost a fumble. Nick Foles shredded the #1 defense in the NFL. Nick Foles (who might just win the Super Bowl in four days) WILL BE A BACKUP on February 4th yet Keenum is our franchise QB? Let that sink in for a bit and then get back to me.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:13:21 PM   
Pager

Summary IMO:

Concerns about Cousins:

Cost: 23M vs 30M on QB. Will that extra 5-7M cost prevent keeping the players we want to sign? With 60M in projected cap, we might have to relay on draft/UDFA and player development a little more. But I think we were going to have to anyway. I don't think 5-7M extra changes what we can do for the surrounding team, just my opinion.

Leadership: Is he a Teddy or Case leader? Maybe not. I haven't heard/read anything negative about him. No offense but he's been worked over in WAS. I've been impressed he hasn't come across as more negative.

Winning the big game/playoffs. Teddy is 0-1 (hindered by oline/playcalling and vs very good D). But at the same time we kicked 3FG and didn't score any TDs. I don't blame him. Case is 1-1. With better weapons. I again won't blame Case alone for playoff failures. But if we're knocking Cousins for this we shouldn't be hypocritical about our own players. Especially since CK's play might regress. And we've haven't seen Teddy play.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:19:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Stealing from Pager:

quote:

2017 - 20th.
2016 - 27th.
2015 - 27th.

WAS rushing by yards:
2017 - 28th
2016 - 21st
2015 - 20th.

What is the lowest ranking rushing playoff team? I'd be willing to bet none were in the bottom half. There is a reason I posted both. I think we've seen up close and personal that both defense and rushing are important to team success.

9 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs in 2017/18, 7 of the top 10 passing teams

Little known fact, in 2017 Minnesota Vikings QBs passed for more regular season yards than did Washington Redskin QBs. Vikings QBs threw for 2 fewer TDs than did Redskin QBs, but also 5 fewer INTs.
Post #: 109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:24:32 PM   
69in09

It’s very important that we define the number of years and guaranteed money we are talking about.

Saying 23M vs 30M is inaccurate.

Cousins is going to set a new market and it’s going to be 30M+ for probably 4-6 years.

Using the franchise tag on Case is 23M for a single year, no long term commitment. If we decide we want more years, that 23M number goes down.

BTW; Spiels has to be kicking himself for not adding an extra year to Keenum’s one year 2m deal last year.

< Message edited by 69in09 -- 1/31/2018 1:37:33 PM >

This is my burner account.
Post #: 110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:36:58 PM   
David F.

Remember when we overpaid a 30+ year-old RB? Why was that a GOOD idea while paying $30+ million for a quality QB in his prime a bad idea? QB is the LAST place to bargain shop on the roster. Keenum got his chance and he FAILED. Foles got his chance and SUCCEEDED yet even he isn't going to get a starting spot and starter money. We need a quality starter at QB!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:38:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

It’s very nice important that we define the number of years and guaranteed money we are talking about.

Cousins is going to set a new market and it’s going to be 30M+ for probably 4-6 years.

Using the franchise tag on Case is 23M for a single year, no long term commitment. If we decide we want more years, that 23M number goes down.

BTW; Spiels has to be kicking himself for not adding an extra year to Keenum’s one year 2m deal last year.

Forbes has estimated Cousins will sign in the neighborhood of 5 years / $150 million with $75 million guaranteed and a $60 million signing bonus. I would rather make the commitment to someone with a more proven track record like Cousins than commit $23 million to see if Keenum can do it again. Especially when I have real doubts about Keenum repeating his production. He got away with far too many bad decisions last year. At some point the horseshoe falls out of your ass and the outcomes of those plays even out.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/31/2018 1:48:43 PM >

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:40:33 PM   
69in09

quote:

Remember when we overpaid a 30+ year-old RB? Why was that a GOOD idea while paying $30+ million for a quality QB in his prime a bad idea? QB is the LAST place to bargain shop on the roster. Keenum got his chance and he FAILED. Foles got his chance and SUCCEEDED yet even he isn't going to get a starting spot and starter money. We need a quality starter at QB!

It sounds like you are advocating for Foles as our QB?

Post #: 113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:45:12 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

No it doesn't.

Post #: 114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:48:14 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

It’s very nice important that we define the number of years and guaranteed money we are talking about.

Forbes has estimated Cousins will sign in the neighborhood of 5 years / $150 million with $75 million guaranteed and a $60 million signing bonus. I would rather make the commitment to someone with a more proven track record like Cousins that commit $23 million to see if Keenum can do it again. Especially when I have real doubts about Keenum repeating his production. He away with far too many bad decisions last year. At some point the horseshoe falls out of your ass and the outcomes of those plays even out.

Keenum got exposed in the divisional game vs New Orleans and Philly picked up right where New Orleans left off. Since halftime of the divisional playoff game opponents' score vs The Vikings is 62-19. I'd say that's Cleveland Brown type level of competition but Cleveland actually kept a lot of their games fairly close.

Post #: 115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:49:36 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

No it doesn't.

Well if you want us to judge Keenum so negatively based on one game and ignore the full season. Shouldn’t we do the same with Foles?

Post #: 116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:49:37 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Forbes has estimated Cousins will sign in the neighborhood of 5 years / $150 million with $75 million guaranteed and a $60 million signing bonus. I would rather make the commitment to someone with a more proven track record like Cousins that commit $23 million to see if Keenum can do it again. Especially when I have real doubts about Keenum repeating his production. He away with far too many bad decisions last year. At some point the horseshoe falls out of your ass and the outcomes of those plays even out.

What track record is that?
Post #: 117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:53:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

How does the bad idea of overpaying for a RB make overpaying for a QB who has never won a playoff game a good idea? Or should we be doubling down, gotta hit gold sometime.
Post #: 118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 1:57:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

The last 3 years as a full time starter with a 24-23-1 record, with 13,176 yds passing and 80 TD in those years. Compare that to a track record of 13 Keenum starts before he got exposed in the playoffs.

Post #: 119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:02:12 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The last 3 years as a full time starter with a 24-23-1 record, with 13,176 yds passing and 80 TD in those years. Compare that to a track record of 13 Keenum starts before he got exposed in the playoffs.

Willing to spend $80 bajillion on a QB with no (winning) playoff track record, and a .500 lifetime career cherry picked winning percentage in his prime seasons?
Post #: 120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:17:36 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No it doesn't.

Well if you want us to judge Keenum so negatively based on one game and ignore the full season. Shouldn’t we do the same with Foles?

Oh you want to bring keenum’s career production into this? Be my guest! It only bolsters my argument more.

Post #: 121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:19:34 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Willing to spend $80 bajillion on a QB with no (winning) playoff track record, and a .500 lifetime career cherry picked winning percentage in his prime seasons?

He likes to throw game changing INTs also.

I wouldn't be against getting him but then we are locked in to him long term.

Have Case and Teddy battle it out next year sounds like a better plan.
Post #: 122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:20:03 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

80 bajillion? No, but I am willing to pay him what the market dictates. What's cherry picked? That's his 3 full years as a full time starter. Want to cherry pick? How about 13 games out of a 6 year career? Fine, lets go to all starts. Cousins has started 19 more games in his career and has twice as many passing yards and TDs as Keenum. But hey Keenum had that good half in two playoff games on a team that was far better than anything Cousins ever played for.

Post #: 123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:25:01 PM   
SoMnFan

I'm imagining Cousins as our QB in 2018-19
And I like what I'm envisioning.
I watched probably 6 Redskin games this past year and liked what I saw of him every time.
I like Keenum but if you can get Cousins for anywhere near the cost of Keenum, to me it's a no-brainer.
Case had a roll going, with a pretty damn good team around him. He should have put out a LOT better result in Philly.
Post #: 124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:25:45 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Have Case and Teddy battle it out next year sounds like a better plan.

I respectfully disagree. Case has been figured out. He had his run and now there is more film on him than ever. It still remains to be seen what the long term affect of Teddy's injury will be. You committing a franchise price tag to a QB with the idea he would have to fight it out for the job.

Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode