Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 11:47:51 AM   
Ian Joseph

Nevermind.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 4/23/2018 11:50:53 AM >

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 26
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 2:51:26 PM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Cmon dude. Weve been doing bonus points for three or four years.

No, you don't get bonus points for that. Why would you even think you get extra points for a non team oriented question, such as naming a player selected?

Since most entries have the Vikings as a bonus team. I think most people DON'T get it.
Post #: 27
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 4:06:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

quote:

No, you don't get bonus points for that. Why would you even think you get extra points for a non team oriented question, such as naming a player selected?

Since most entries have the Vikings as a bonus team. I think most people DON'T get it.

Vikings pay double bonus, but only if Vikings is the answer to the question is the way I now understand it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 28
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 5:14:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

Post #: 29
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 5:51:26 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

Well, now 2 of 4 bonus question challenged posters have made the fix. I was so trying to keep quiet about it...was preparing an epic rip. Even talking through pm with a couple of people has let the cat out of the bag.

Still a couple out there...and more to be finished/entered...still a chance to get that rip in...

Existential midlife crisis mode engaged.
Post #: 30
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 6:00:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

Well, now 2 of 4 bonus question challenged posters have made the fix. I was so trying to keep quiet about it...was preparing an epic rip. Even talking through pm with a couple of people has let the cat out of the bag.

Still a couple out there...and more to be finished/entered...still a chance to get that rip in...

I would rather not win by beating people at a disadvantage. As the mighty Achilles said to Hector "Get up, Prince of Troy! I won't let a stone rob me of my glory!"

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 31
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 6:31:06 PM   
Todd M

When the disadvantage is self imposed I am fine to let it ride.

Post #: 32
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 6:33:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I thought about that, but nah. I don't want my glory tainted.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 33
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 6:43:08 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

That was my thought, hence the post that very quickly turned into what you see now as "nevermind."

Believe.
Post #: 34
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/23/2018 8:43:24 PM   
Ian Joseph

Damn. I need to alter my entry for real for real. Just noticed something.

Believe.
Post #: 35
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/24/2018 12:28:37 PM   
kgdabom

Todd I just looked at your entry. You are a sly son of a gun.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 36
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/25/2018 11:12:05 PM   
kgdabom

OK Ian a stupid question again. In your questions you have three where you say during the draft. You also have a question that is how many trades in the first round with no disclaimer saying During the draft. If that is the way you want it there has been 5 or more first round trades already right. If you don't want those to count you should write that during the draft disclaimer on that question.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 37
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:14:37 AM   
Ian Joseph

No, I shouldn't. Trades before the draft have never counted. Trades that are publicly agreed upon beforehand, but don't occur until the draft begins also have never counted (that's only happened twice since we've been doing this, IIRC). This isn't the first contest year, dude.. its year 9.

I don't feel the need to re-state common rules and whatnot just because its a new year & contest. Maybe if we had an influx of new people or the contest always had tons of players. But, its typically just us.

Remember, this is a PREDICTION contest. Its never been about what we already know as fact.

Believe.
Post #: 38
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:18:35 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

No, I shouldn't. Trades before the draft have never counted. Trades that are publicly agreed upon beforehand, but don't occur until the draft begins also have never counted (that's only happened twice since we've been doing this, IIRC). This isn't the first contest year, dude.. its year 9.

I don't feel the need to re-state common rules and whatnot just because its a new year & contest. Maybe if we had an influx of new people or the contest always had tons of players. But, its typically just us.

Remember, this is a PREDICTION contest. Its never been about what we already know as fact.

I was quite sure that was the intent. However, you can see how it could get confusing when on some you write during the draft and others you don't.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 39
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:26:14 AM   
Todd M

Yeah, I'm going to go with...it is and was, always was perfectly clear.

At least after one go at it. Year after year with the same stuff though, kudos to Ian for feeling like it is still worth doing even though it must get tiring.

Post #: 40
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:31:55 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

At least after one go at it. Year after year with the same stuff though, kudos to Ian for feeling like it is still worth doing even though it must get tiring.

I just wanted to make sure it was perfectly clear. I was pretty sure the response I was going to get. However, for people who don't perfectly remember the scoring system from a prior year or somebody who was new to this I don't think it was perfectly clear.
When Ian specifically mentioned 3 questions as during the draft I could easily see how somebody could construe the other questions as not during the draft. So I just brought it up to eliminate all doubt. I feel I was doing a public service message.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 41
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:51:57 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

This is maybe my favorite thing about this board. I LOVE this contest.

I wish I had time to really take it to the next level, where I could host a standalone site or app and have it 100% done there, so I wouldn't have to do anything manual, like I currently have to do. So, I don't mind answering questions, even if its the same ones, over and over again, typically from the same people.

I'm never comfortable with the contest and always look for ways to make it even better; sometimes I incorporate good ideas, sometimes, not so much. For instance, in hindsight, I dont actually like "the last pick of the draft" question. But, its what I used and the ship sailed on changing it completely a long time ago. So, I'll suck it up and do next year what I should have done this year.

Anyway, hope 2018's version is fun and stays competitive throughout the weekend.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 4/26/2018 10:58:22 AM >

Believe.
Post #: 42
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 10:57:55 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I just wanted to make sure it was perfectly clear. I was pretty sure the response I was going to get. However, for people who don't perfectly remember the scoring system from a prior year or somebody who was new to this I don't think it was perfectly clear.
When Ian specifically mentioned 3 questions as during the draft I could easily see how somebody could construe the other questions as not during the draft. So I just brought it up to eliminate all doubt. I feel I was doing a public service message.

You weren't doing a public service. You were overthinking it.

Its not that complicated. I don't develop and run this contest in that view.

Keep in mind that you don't always have to be the site's "people's champion," especially when one isn't needed. This contest is one of those instances.

I appreciate any and all of your own personal questions for contest clarity. But, all the extra isn't necessary. I got it covered.

Believe.
Post #: 43
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 11:58:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

This is maybe my favorite thing about this board. I LOVE this contest.

I wish I had time to really take it to the next level, where I could host a standalone site or app and have it 100% done there, so I wouldn't have to do anything manual, like I currently have to do. So, I don't mind answering questions, even if its the same ones, over and over again, typically from the same people.

I'm never comfortable with the contest and always look for ways to make it even better; sometimes I incorporate good ideas, sometimes, not so much. For instance, in hindsight, I dont actually like "the last pick of the draft" question. But, its what I used and the ship sailed on changing it completely a long time ago. So, I'll suck it up and do next year what I should have done this year.

Anyway, hope 2018's version is fun and stays competitive throughout the weekend.

It is fun. Honestly the year I won the Preseason tickets to the Arizona game I scheduled a Minnesota visit to coincide with it and took my son, his fiancé and my granddaughter to the game. Teddy Bridgewater led us on two drives late to win the game. The last one after a completely BS play that gave Arizona the lead with about a minute to go. It was by far the best preseason Vikings game to me.
That is a very happy memory I will take to my grave.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 44
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 12:57:12 PM   
kgdabom

One hopefully last question. There are two Hurst's that could be in play for the Vikings in either the first or second round. If somebody just says Hurst what are we going to do?
Sorry if this is being the People's Champion, but I would hate for somebody to not get the points because they didn't realize they should include the first name or position.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/26/2018 1:00:59 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 45
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 2:14:24 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

One hopefully last question. There are two Hurst's that could be in play for the Vikings in either the first or second round. If somebody just says Hurst what are we going to do?
Sorry if this is being the People's Champion, but I would hate for somebody to not get the points because they didn't realize they should include the first name or position.

No, this is legitimate.

I'm not into the guessing game about who folks are listing on their entries. I'll work with simple misspellings of a name (extra letters, wrong vowel, etc.)

However, I'm not working with anything beyond that. I'm also not working with last name only stuff or descriptions of guys (NT from USC). If it's not a correct name or real close to the correct name, it's wrong, period.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 4/26/2018 2:18:17 PM >

Believe.
Post #: 46
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 2:42:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

No, this is legitimate.

I'm not into the guessing game about who folks are listing on their entries. I'll work with simple misspellings of a name (extra letters, wrong vowel, etc.)

However, I'm not working with anything beyond that. I'm also not working with last name only stuff or descriptions of guys (NT from USC). If it's not a correct name or real close to the correct name, it's wrong, period.

So ART hopefully you read this and provide the first name for the Hurst you were talking about.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 47
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 3:43:35 PM   
Ian Joseph

Bruce.. altered the format of your entry, so it didn't look like it was mine. That's why it shows it was edited by me.

I didn't touch it otherwise.

Believe.
Post #: 48
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 6:59:41 PM   
Ian Joseph

Get your picks updated. The draft starts very soon.

Believe.
Post #: 49
RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge - 4/26/2018 7:00:35 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, this is legitimate.

So ART hopefully you read this and provide the first name for the Hurst you were talking about.

I misspoke on this. Looking at the entries, I'll do last names, if its OBVIOUS who the players are. "Jones" aint good enough.

Believe.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Draft Prediction Challenge Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode