Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 1:43:52 PM   
David Levine

From Travis Lyle Czech on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TravLyleCzech):

quote:

Had a conversation with someone I know that works in the Wolves front office. Been debating whether or not to share what we talked about (they gave permission). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's an insight to what's going on at Mayo Clinic Square right now.

Essentially, things inside the front office are significantly worse/more hostile than we thought. Their words were "walking on egg shells", when referring to everyone fearing for their jobs.

Then yesterday Thibs and Scott Layden got into a screaming match which according to my source, led to Thibs throwing a computer monitor through a glass office wall. Scott then excused most employees to take an extended lunch.

From other conversations with this person, I've gotten the sense that Thibs screaming isn't out of the norm (when the employees actually see Tom), but the escalation did seem to surprise them.

This could amount to nothing, but things are far from settled inside the front office, and more changes seem to be coming. At the very least, it seems that Thibs is feeling the heat.

His further responses in the comments:

quote:

News / not news. Last time I gave information they gave me, I was contacted by the Wolves to delete my tweets. Thibs is insanely paranoid. (he was asked why he debated sharing)

There are people working there, that legitimately hate each other, trying to make decisions together. They say winning cures all, but there is a tipping point.
Post #: 76
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 1:52:09 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Had a conversation with someone I know that works in the Wolves front office. Been debating whether or not to share what we talked about (they gave permission). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's an insight to what's going on at Mayo Clinic Square right now.

Essentially, things inside the front office are significantly worse/more hostile than we thought. Their words were "walking on egg shells", when referring to everyone fearing for their jobs.

Then yesterday Thibs and Scott Layden got into a screaming match which according to my source, led to Thibs throwing a computer monitor through a glass office wall. Scott then excused most employees to take an extended lunch.

From other conversations with this person, I've gotten the sense that Thibs screaming isn't out of the norm (when the employees actually see Tom), but the escalation did seem to surprise them.

This could amount to nothing, but things are far from settled inside the front office, and more changes seem to be coming. At the very least, it seems that Thibs is feeling the heat.

quote:

News / not news. Last time I gave information they gave me, I was contacted by the Wolves to delete my tweets. Thibs is insanely paranoid. (he was asked why he debated sharing)

There are people working there, that legitimately hate each other, trying to make decisions together. They say winning cures all, but there is a tipping point.

Wow, if all of that is true I am guessing next year is Western Conference finals or bust (I think it should be anyway).

I liked the Thibs hire originally, now I don't care for it. (I guess that is what fans do).

He is too hard on his players in terms of minutes and coaching style, I don't think it works in today's NBA. Need to be calm and quieter based on the coaches that seem to be doing well and are well thought of.

Didn't like the Wiggins extension because giving money and then expecting something different rarely works.

I think the Wolves are closer to regressing back to the stone age then making a deep run in playoffs.
Post #: 77
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 1:52:13 PM   
David Levine

If you go back and read the stuff coming out of Chicago's front office after Thibs was fired, its sounding less and less like the ravings of bitter management and more and more like what the Wolves are going through now...

quote:

CBS Chicago:

Uncharacteristic bluntness was everywhere in Reinsdorf’s long and detailed statement that reinforced the need for a properly functioning workplace — something impossible when involving the obsessive, compulsive, uncommunicative, often paranoid Thibodeau.

His (Reinsdorf) message Thursday was simple and a long time coming for a coach whose game-planning and tactical skills were eventually overcome by his quixotic stubbornness, territorial neuroses and socialization problems.
Post #: 78
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:09:53 PM   
Phil Riewer

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/05/09/the-ringer-wants-an-andrew-wiggins-trade/

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 79
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:10:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson

@DWolfsonKSTP
May 10
Cincinnati's Gary Clark, one of the best draft-eligible defenders, is among prospects working out for the #Twolves Friday, I hear. Reminder: Adel, Hall, Bluiett, and Okogie are among a group working out today here. #AllEyesNorth

Post #: 80
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:11:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson

Verified account

@DWolfsonKSTP

Rodney Bullock (Providence) and Jalen McDaniels (San Diego St.) were also in to workout for the #Twolves today.

Post #: 81
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:12:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

Doogie says the Wolves had Ward in also:

A source tells me Michigan State sophomore Nick Ward has conducted individual workouts for the New York Knicks and the Oklahoma City Thunder, so far. He'll work out for the Detroit Pistons this weekend and has been requested for workouts by at least 8 other teams.

Post #: 82
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:13:34 PM   
David Levine

Be nice to have a new POBO in time for the draft...
Post #: 83
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:18:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson Retweeted

Aaron Reiss
‏@aaronjreiss
May 9
Here in STL for the #Mizzou Coaches Caravan, Cuonzo Martin said Jontay Porter worked out for the San Antonio Spurs today, Minnesota Timberwolves tomorrow.

.@TrevonBluiett update... The @XavierMBB senior has been honing his skills in Miami ahead of his NBA workouts. He's auditioning Wednesday for the Timberwolves & Sunday for the Warriors.

Post #: 84
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:18:45 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Isn't Thibs like down 5 assistants now? Probably hasn't had any sleep in a week....

Post #: 85
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:21:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Isn't Thibs like down 5 assistants now? Probably hasn't had any sleep in a week....

He doesn't listen to his assistants anyways, so its not like things are any different.
Post #: 86
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:29:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer
quote:

He doesn't listen to his assistants anyways, so its not like things are any different.

He has to give up some control or he is going to lose all control.....probably what Taylor told him.

Post #: 87
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:29:32 PM   
TJSweens

Now, does Taylor have the balls to just step up and fire Thibs? Keep in mind that firing Thibs almost certainly guarantees we will have to move Butler.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 88
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 2:30:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Now, does Taylor have the balls to just step up and fire Thibs? Keep in mind that firing Thibs almost certainly guarantees we will have to move Butler.

Between all the reports of Taylor not being able to stand him, and the growing divide between Thibs and KAT, we might be reaching a breaking point.
Post #: 89
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 3:37:50 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow, if all of that is true I am guessing next year is Western Conference finals or bust (I think it should be anyway).

I liked the Thibs hire originally, now I don't care for it. (I guess that is what fans do).

He is too hard on his players in terms of minutes and coaching style, I don't think it works in today's NBA. Need to be calm and quieter based on the coaches that seem to be doing well and are well thought of.

Didn't like the Wiggins extension because giving money and then expecting something different rarely works.

I think the Wolves are closer to regressing back to the stone age then making a deep run in playoffs.

I think most everybody was in favor of the Thibs hire at the time. Me included. He was a big time name and probably the most sought after guy at the time. That was Glen's 'big move'. This was him saying it's championship now at all costs before I hang it up.

But it's clear now that there are multiple issues and Glen needs to start over over once again. With a difference this time though. The cupboard is not bare. There is talent here. Just need a new guy at the helm.

C’mon man
Post #: 90
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 3:54:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

Glenn is running out of time...just turned 77.

Post #: 91
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:03:45 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

But it's clear now that there are multiple issues and Glen needs to start over over once again. With a difference this time though. The cupboard is not bare. There is talent here. Just need a new guy at the helm.

I'd say we're in a MUCH worse position this time.

Before Thibs we had:

KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, Dieng and Tyus all on rookie contracts.
We had a Top 5 draft pick.
We had Rubio on a bargain contract for a starting caliber player.
Bjelica on a cheap deal.
We had near Maximum cap room.

Now we have:

KAT on his rookie deal, but eligible for a max extension.
Butler with the ability to leave after the upcoming season (and no Thibs makes that more likely).
Wiggins as a negative asset (when you consider production vs new cost).
Dieng as a negative asset with his current contract.
Gibson with 1 year left (and no way to replace him monetarily)
Teague who can become a FA after next season.
We're capped out, we may have to choose between keeping Bjelica or using the MLE to stay under the luxury tax.
We have the 20th pick.
Post #: 92
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:11:51 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Before Thibs we had:

Bjelica on a cheap deal.

Now we have:

Butler with the ability to leave after the upcoming season (and no Thibs makes that more likely).
We're capped out, we may have to choose between keeping Bjelica or using the MLE to stay under the luxury tax.
We have the 20th pick.

Oh I totally agree. Thibs as personnel guy has been worse than Thibs the coach. The only good thing he did was get Butler. I hated giving up Lavine and Dunn for him but felt he was the veteran star we needed.

I still do feel that, if we can hold to him. And not hold on to his coach.

C’mon man
Post #: 93
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:16:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Before Thibs we had:

Bjelica on a cheap deal.

Now we have:

We have the 20th pick.

Oh I totally agree. Thibs as personnel guy has been worse than Thibs the coach. The only good thing he did was get Butler. I hated giving up Lavine and Dunn for him but felt he was the veteran star we needed.

I still do feel that, if we can hold to him. And not hold on to his coach.

But that's the rub.

Is a new POBO and a new coach going to be able to come in, overhaul the roster and get the team playing to a high enough level in a single year so that Butler will want to come back?

LaVine and Dunn for Butler is 100% a no-brainer. The problem is all the short-sighted moves Thibs made after the Butler trade. He put all his eggs into a 2 year window. And with teams like GS and HOU being at their peaks, it was a really foolish plan.
Post #: 94
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:23:46 PM   
Karl Juhnke

But is Lavine and Dunn for just two years of Butler a no brainer?

C’mon man
Post #: 95
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:27:04 PM   
David Levine

quote:

But is Lavine and Dunn for just two years of Butler a no brainer?

Yes.

Because a competent GM builds a contending team around KAT and Butler...
Post #: 96
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 4:38:42 PM   
David Levine

Now, I'm also not saying we would be going anywhere with Wiggins, LaVine and Dunn. Just that all 3 of them had significant trade value while on their rookie deals for us. They were all assets for Thibs.

I personally would've tried to move on from all 3...
Post #: 97
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 6:12:03 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

quote:

quote:

Geezuz what a mess
Post #: 98
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 6:49:34 PM   
Minnyme

With all this mess going on, I don't know if this was talked about in another thread but listening to the 4th segment of the Mackey & Judd today (Fri 5/11).
They had a spot w/a Scoop from Doogie (about the 22:00 min mark) .... http://www.1500espn.com/mackey-judd-ondemand/

Somethins gonna give big time at some point
Post #: 99
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/11/2018 8:08:47 PM   
Matt Lang

Hey can you write a brief sentence or two about what they said?
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode