Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/21/2018 2:01:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

Current SI.com mock draft

Donte Divincenczo/Villanova

With Jamal Crawford turning down his option for next season, Minnesota stands to add to its wing rotation here. DiVincenzo broke out in a major way at the combine and fortified the strong impression he left in March and over the course of Villanova’s season. It’s clear he’s not a flash in the pan, as his consistent level of focus, instincts for forcing turnovers and grabbing rebounds and ability to hit open jumpers build in a degree of safety. He was one of the top athletes at the combine, but more importantly, his athletic ability actually pops within the context of his game. DiVincenzo has to improve as a man-to-man defender and doesn’t consistently create great shots for himself, but he knows how to play with and off of others and clearly has the makings of a quality role player. He’s likely punched his first-round ticket, and seems likely to remain in the draft.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 126
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/21/2018 5:43:37 PM   
David Levine

"LazyAssHat's" CliffsNotes to today's Jon K show:

•Becky hates Thibs she doesn’t like sitting sidelines (**** yeah Becky), Taylor is ambivalent doesn’t like Thibs’ approach to coaching but likes the improvement.
•Butler isn’t popular in the locker room outside of the Chicago contingency (comes from non-Jon dude on the pod).
•Lots of stuff on Thib’s sideline antics which appears to be generally reviled by the NBA and fans alike.
•Jon doesn’t think computer thing happened, can’t confirm it didn’t happen but is pretty sure since it supposedly happened the day they worked out prospects and hes talked to agents and players who were working out that day as well as personnel but no one saw anything.
•Tough decisions on cap with Butler/Wiggins/Towns max contracts (duh)
•Gorgui’s value is really low so thinks we need to add an asset to move him (answer was likely no so hes here for a while)
•Do we want to sell low on Wiggins (likely won’t get moved since we won’t see the value we want coming back), may trade later if his value increases. But not trading for a salary dump. (Both G and Wigs are really tough to move, another no shit)
•Doesn’t see Towns getting traded.
•Non-Jon dude says no chance Jimmy stays if Thibs is let go. Just a first round isn’t going to be enough for Thibs to keep his job. Sounds like Thibs is unlikely to get fired. Jon thinks he stays if we pay him.

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-jon-krawczynski-show
Post #: 127
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/21/2018 5:50:30 PM   
JT2

What was the computer thing?
Post #: 128
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/21/2018 6:11:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

From Travis Lyle Czech on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TravLyleCzech):

quote:

Had a conversation with someone I know that works in the Wolves front office. Been debating whether or not to share what we talked about (they gave permission). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's an insight to what's going on at Mayo Clinic Square right now.

Essentially, things inside the front office are significantly worse/more hostile than we thought. Their words were "walking on egg shells", when referring to everyone fearing for their jobs.

Then yesterday Thibs and Scott Layden got into a screaming match which according to my source, led to Thibs throwing a computer monitor through a glass office wall. Scott then excused most employees to take an extended lunch.

From other conversations with this person, I've gotten the sense that Thibs screaming isn't out of the norm (when the employees actually see Tom), but the escalation did seem to surprise them.

This could amount to nothing, but things are far from settled inside the front office, and more changes seem to be coming. At the very least, it seems that Thibs is feeling the heat.
Post #: 129
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/21/2018 6:22:24 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

From Travis Lyle Czech on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TravLyleCzech):

quote:

Had a conversation with someone I know that works in the Wolves front office. Been debating whether or not to share what we talked about (they gave permission). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's an insight to what's going on at Mayo Clinic Square right now.

Essentially, things inside the front office are significantly worse/more hostile than we thought. Their words were "walking on egg shells", when referring to everyone fearing for their jobs.

Then yesterday Thibs and Scott Layden got into a screaming match which according to my source, led to Thibs throwing a computer monitor through a glass office wall. Scott then excused most employees to take an extended lunch.

From other conversations with this person, I've gotten the sense that Thibs screaming isn't out of the norm (when the employees actually see Tom), but the escalation did seem to surprise them.

This could amount to nothing, but things are far from settled inside the front office, and more changes seem to be coming. At the very least, it seems that Thibs is feeling the heat.

Thanks. I missed that. Or, maybe just expect he does that shit on the regular.
Post #: 130
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 10:49:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

Five Under-the-Radar 3-and-D Wings That You Should Know About
According to Ringer staff writer Jonathan Tjarks.

Devon Hall, Virginia. The senior wing was a two-way rock for the Cavaliers all season, and he has the size, shooting ability, and basketball IQ to be worth a shot at the next level. The Malcolm Brogdon comparison is lazy, but it's not completely absurd.

Jarrey Foster, SMU. Foster was a raw athlete coming out of high school who slowly turned himself into a well-rounded player in a three-year stint at SMU, a program that has sent several players to the NBA recently. He surprised many people when he declared for the draft despite tearing his ACL in January, but he could be an interesting long-term gamble for a team willing to bet on his tools and pedigree.

Kerwin Roach, Texas. Roach, an elite defensive player at Texas, is one of the best athletes in this year's draft. He turned the corner as a junior and became a more consistent offensive player, both as a shooter and decision-maker, but he's still not very polished. Regardless of whether he's drafted, Roach will spend a lot of time in the G League next season, where he could easily win the dunk contest.

Donte Ingram, Loyola-Chicago. Ingram has the best chance of any of Loyola's players to capitalize off their Cinderella run. At 6-foot-6 and 210 pounds, he's got an NBA-caliber frame with a consistent 3-point stroke, and he guarded players at all five positions during March Madness.

Malik Pope, San Diego State. NBA draft nerds will remember Pope's name from his freshman season at San Diego State, when he was briefly touted as a potential lottery pick thanks to a projectable 3-point stroke and absurd dimensions for a wing (6-foot-10 and 220 pounds with a 7-foot-2 wingspan). He never added much else to his game in four years in college, but those two things will at least get him a training camp invite.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 131
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 12:59:38 PM   
ronhextall

My guess is nothing changes in offseason. The Wolves start next year looking the same as this year and Thibs gets fired at or before the All-Star Break and probably replaced with a Wolves retread like Sam Mitchell.

This franchise is horrible almost 100% of the time.

I could have thrown darts and drafted better than the Wolves for the bulk of their existence.

The wrath of Kahn and tricking himself out of Steph Curry.

Closing in on 30 years and they have drafted about 3 Super Stars in all of that time. Considering how high they have drafted that is not good.

If Towns is truly unhappy Thibs needs to be gone today, you go out and get the new breed of coach, which is a people skills guy and very little lunatic actions on sideline.

Thibs parting gift will be to play Towns 48 minutes a game and have him ride a bike during TV timeouts. Make sure he is good and burned up.
Post #: 132
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 1:03:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

My guess is nothing changes in offseason. The Wolves start next year looking the same as this year and Thibs gets fired at or before the All-Star Break and probably replaced with a Wolves retread like Sam Mitchell.

Ryan Saunders. 100%...
Post #: 133
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 1:15:45 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Ryan Saunders. 100%...

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 134
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 1:31:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Ryan Saunders. 100%...

Guaranteed.

Its the most Taylor move Glen could make. Layden would get the interim POBO title and Ryan the interim HC.

It would cost no additional money, there would be no changes to the front office or coaching staffs, and a large part of the fanbase would eat it up.

Seriously...(sadly)...Within an hour of the move, you'd start seeing fans crowing about how we just "got our Brad Stevens"....
Post #: 135
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 1:39:37 PM   
Bill Jandro

Idk much about Ryan Saunders but I'd take my chances with him vs Thib's at this particular juncture.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 136
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 1:45:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Seriously...(sadly)...Within an hour of the move, you'd start seeing fans crowing about how we just "got our Brad Stevens"....

I don't believe that would be the unanimous or even the majority take on it at this point. The fan base is pretty skeptical of any Taylor moves now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 137
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 2:08:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I don't believe that would be the unanimous or even the majority take on it at this point. The fan base is pretty skeptical of any Taylor moves now.

I never said unanimous, but there is a (too) large part of the fanbase that still thinks Flip was a GREAT coach.

A lot of fans would eat it up. People that post under articles at the Strib, Pioneer Press and KFAN would eat it up.
Post #: 138
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 5:58:02 PM   
David Levine

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski Explained Why The Wolves Aren’t Going To Trade Karl-Anthony Towns
JAMIE COOPER 05.22.18

Uneasy player-coach relationships in the NBA are nothing new. And though some of them prove untenable in the long run, that certainly isn’t a hard and fast rule. Plenty of these less-than-ideal pairings have been able to overcome their differences and find success.

But the NBA is a star-driven league. And head coaches — even the most decorated and respected among them — don’t enjoy the same cache as they once did. Star players are a commodity, while head coaches are essentially replaceable.

So it shouldn’t come as a surprise if the Minnesota Timberwolves — which have been the subject of rumors this week regarding Karl-Anthony Towns — would prefer to make a coaching and/or management change before they deal away their franchise center. At least that’s what ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski believes would be the more likely outcome in this scenario, via The Russillo Show.

“I think their owner would trade management/the coach before he would trade Karl-Anthony Towns,” Wojnarowski said. “I don’t think they would allow that. I just don’t believe they’d allow that kind of decision. And I don’t know that they’d want to trade him. To answer this first, Minnesota’s bigger issue is not…he’s Karl-Anthony Towns, they’re not moving him, Towns is eligible for his extension this summer. You know Jimmy Butler…it’s more of a question of Andrew Wiggins. That to me would be, if someone was going to get moved — and I’m not saying anyone’s going to get moved — I think Andrew Wiggins is the one you’re going to look at first. Because…you don’t have to make a decision on Towns and Jimmy Butler and one of those guys having to take less on an extension, because you can’t have three [max] guys.”

NBA insiders Zach Lowe and Brian Windhorst alluded to this situation on The Lowe Post podcast on Friday, and there seems to be a pervading feeling that Towns, along with teammate Andrew Wiggins, aren’t crazy about the idea of playing second and third fiddle to Jimmy Butler.

That, combined with Towns’ high-profile struggles in his inaugural postseason appearance, have made for a tense relationship. It’s a situation that’s threatening to undermine all the goodwill and cultural capital they amassed by putting together their most successful season of the past 15 years and making a long-awaited return to the playoffs.

Regardless, the expectations are high for a team boasting a dynamic young core and a head coach with championship pedigree. They have a lot of work ahead of them if they hope to repair the relationship or else face the prospect of shaking things up this summer and going in a different direction. Either way, it’s shaping up to be an offseason fraught with intrigue for the fledgling Wolves.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-trade-rumors-overblown/2/
Post #: 139
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/22/2018 6:06:25 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://clutchpoints.com/timberwolves-news-gofundme-started-to-fire-tom-thibodeau/

After just two years in charge of the Minnesota Timberwolves, some fans have already had enough of coach Tom Thibodeau. A GoFundMe page was started on Tuesday morning to raise $5,000 so a “Fire Thibs Billboard” could be placed in Minneapolis.

Post #: 140
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 1:03:29 PM   
David Levine

The Wolves couldn't be more counter to this piece if they were intentionally trying to lose games...

Analyzing the Conference Finals and What It Takes to Win In Today’s NBA
by Adam SpinellaMay 21, 2018

https://clutchpoints.com/cavaliers-celtics-rockets-warriors/
Post #: 141
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 3:11:22 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

https://clutchpoints.com/timberwolves-news-gofundme-started-to-fire-tom-thibodeau/

After just two years in charge of the Minnesota Timberwolves, some fans have already had enough of coach Tom Thibodeau. A GoFundMe page was started on Tuesday morning to raise $5,000 so a “Fire Thibs Billboard” could be placed in Minneapolis.

Heck I'll donate! That's one of the most positive developments for the team this whole year
Post #: 142
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 3:12:10 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski Explained Why The Wolves Aren’t Going To Trade Karl-Anthony Towns

We're only in this mess with Towns because Thib has been horrible at both of his jobs
Post #: 143
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 3:14:40 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

If the Wolves trade Towns, I'm done being a fan of this team.

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 144
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 5:53:56 PM   
JT2

quote:

The Wolves couldn't be more counter to this piece if they were intentionally trying to lose games...

Analyzing the Conference Finals and What It Takes to Win In Today’s NBA
by Adam SpinellaMay 21, 2018

https://clutchpoints.com/cavaliers-celtics-rockets-warriors/

Good piece.

I wonder, is Thibodeau more stubborn than ignorant?

You would think he has to know how the game has changed. Why does he continue to be the way he is?
Post #: 145
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/23/2018 6:18:30 PM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

All indicators point toward Thibodeau driving this organization into the ground.

My prediction is he will trade Dieng for Noah and continue his his piss poor style of BB.

Glenn needs to do what needs to be done now.

If Butler becomes disgruntled so be it. Trade him while he has some value.

This experiment is over.

Post #: 146
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/24/2018 1:43:37 PM   
David Levine

All NBA Teams:

First: LeBron James, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Kevin Durant.

Second: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Russell Westbrook, Joel Embiid, LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMar DeRozan.

Third: Stephen Curry, Victor Oladipo, Karl-Anthony Towns, Jimmy Butler, Paul George.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/st...969506816?s=21
Post #: 147
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/25/2018 10:25:14 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

•Becky hates Thibs she doesn’t like sitting sidelines (**** yeah Becky), Taylor is ambivalent doesn’t like Thibs’ approach to coaching but likes the improvement.
•Butler isn’t popular in the locker room outside of the Chicago contingency (comes from non-Jon dude on the pod).
•Lots of stuff on Thib’s sideline antics which appears to be generally reviled by the NBA and fans alike.
•Jon doesn’t think computer thing happened, can’t confirm it didn’t happen but is pretty sure since it supposedly happened the day they worked out prospects and hes talked to agents and players who were working out that day as well as personnel but no one saw anything.
•Gorgui’s value is really low so thinks we need to add an asset to move him (answer was likely no so hes here for a while)
•Do we want to sell low on Wiggins (likely won’t get moved since we won’t see the value we want coming back), may trade later if his value increases. But not trading for a salary dump. (Both G and Wigs are really tough to move, another no shit)
•Non-Jon dude says no chance Jimmy stays if Thibs is let go. Just a first round isn’t going to be enough for Thibs to keep his job. Sounds like Thibs is unlikely to get fired. Jon thinks he stays if we pay him.

Jon is talking to the wrong people then.
Post #: 148
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/25/2018 10:27:09 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

quote:

Jon is talking to the wrong people then.

ohhh.....Do you have a scoop????
Post #: 149
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 5/25/2018 10:27:52 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said unanimous, but there is a (too) large part of the fanbase that still thinks Flip was a GREAT coach.

A lot of fans would eat it up. People that post under articles at the Strib, Pioneer Press and KFAN would eat it up.

Ryan should go find a college coaching job and make a name for himself apart from this organization. Hard to believe he's only 32.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode