Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:35:17 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Only thing comparable is the Oakland A's of the early 70's. I think they hated each others guts, but kept winning.

This is just like that, except for the winning part.

They hate each other and just keep on losing. Is Thibs the cancer which causing this team to fall apart. Maybe the agents for Buttler and KAT need to sit down with Glen and iron this out. I don' Maybe bring in McHale to mentor Ryan for a season or two.
Post #: 1551
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:39:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Could it be that Butler stays and leads a rebellion against Thibs? Then I might be all for it.

Butler still loves Thibs.
Post #: 1552
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:40:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

Maybe bring in McHale to mentor Ryan for a season or two.

Why?
Post #: 1553
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:41:03 PM   
twinsfan

kg was right

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 1554
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:48:12 PM   
ronhextall

Taylor needs to fire Thibs.

I would then sit down with Kat and Butler separately and see if there is anything that can be done including a mutually agreed upon coach that would allow them to co-exist.

A long shot but you have nothing to lose. You then trade Butler.
Post #: 1555
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:51:26 PM   
David Levine

This is getting more and more bizarre...Maybe only Jimmy showed up for the meeting?

NBA on ESPN✔@ESPNNBA
Jimmy Butler confirmed to @Rachel__Nichols that he held a players-only meeting with Timberwolves players on Thursday, a day after he reported to the team for his first practice.

Jeff Teague✔@Teague0
@ShamsCharania it wasn’t no players meeting you just made that up bro y’all gotta relax with this fake news

John Lucas III✔@Luke1luk
@ShamsCharania what meeting did you hear about
Post #: 1556
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 2:53:37 PM   
David Levine

Chris Hine@ChristopherHine
Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor (who also owns the Star Tribune) declined comment when reached by the Star Tribune.

12:51 PM - Oct 11, 2018
Post #: 1557
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:04:26 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Why?

McHale has the ability to coach the big men. If Thibs goes, KAT needs a coach to teach him the fine points of the big mans game.
Post #: 1558
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:06:49 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

Chris Hine@ChristopherHine
Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor (who also owns the Star Tribune) declined comment when reached by the Star Tribune.

12:51 PM - Oct 11, 2018

If Taylor was going to do something, he would just do it and not tell reporters before hand. Never been his style.
Post #: 1559
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:17:10 PM   
Matt Lang

This whole thing has gotten so bizarre. I guess if you can’t be good then at least be “interesting”?
Post #: 1560
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:31:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

It's Thib's job to run an orderly practice not let an inmate run the asylum

Meanwhile Glen buries his head in the sand

Never seen nor heard of anything of this magnitude in professional sports

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 1561
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:42:16 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

Jimmy Butler yelled to the VP of Marketing "get me a salad for lunch. Balsamic vinaigrette!" and then dropped a 3 over Wiggins. This guy is incredible. #wolves

— Pat Gallen (@PatGallenCBS3) October 10, 2018

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/10/11/17963746/jimmy-butler-interview-espn-rachel-nichols-timberwolves
Post #: 1562
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 3:48:05 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

It's Thib's job to run an orderly practice not let an inmate run the asylum

Meanwhile Glen buries his head in the sand

Never seen nor heard of anything of this magnitude in professional sports

Thibs will spin the Butler problem to his best and has no problem with this one inmate run the asylum. Do the Wolves have other minority owners or has Taylor bought them out. The minority owners may pressure Taylor into a solution.
Post #: 1563
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 4:15:49 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

McHale has the ability to coach the big men. If Thibs goes, KAT needs a coach to teach him the fine points of the big mans game.

That's the problem when things get repeated over and over again, people start believing them.

McHale was as good of a post player as we've seen, but its never been shown to translate to coaching/teaching. Kevin Garnett still doesn't have ANY post moves.

And KAT is a freaking wizard in the post when the team gives him the ball. He just needs to be in a better defensive system.
Post #: 1564
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 4:29:21 PM   
David Levine

The big problem is Glen LOVES being an NBA owner. Hell, he's been Chairman of the NBA Board of Governors like 8 of the past 10 years.
Post #: 1565
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 6:51:08 PM   
David Levine

More Nate:

Here’s what I’m reasonably sure of: Butler and Thibs are gone. Unless KAT and Leon Rose do a 180 within the next 24 hours it’s only a question of when and how. That being said, this is still the Timberwolves and Glen could try rolling with the status quo because he doesn’t have access to the type of personnel that would make a change worthwhile. Also, they have a game tomorrow night and the 2 of 3 main assistants are Thibs guys who either may not want to stick around. All 4 main assistants (those two plus Ryan and John Lucas III) aren’t going to be considered for any long term head coaching position so they may not want to take a very short interim job. I know they’ve been making a shit ton of calls and the speculation as to why there isn’t a public response is because logistically they have zero time to make a change and holy crap they have a game tomorrow night.

Now, all of this is being presented by people who aren’t in the main room. From what I’ve been told that room containsTaylor, Thibs, Layden, Croom, and the CEO Casson making the main decisions. My guess is based on what I’ve been told about what office personnel are able to see in terms of who is asked to be, say, reassuring Lizhang Jiang and Terri Popp that things are going to be ok or to find the contact information for this, that, or the other organization.

Also, this is going to cost a shit ton to buy out and replace.

That’s all I got. I think you’d be surprised at how many people over there are watching the twitter machine just like we are. Also, everybody is a secret spy for someone (local bloggers, family friends, reporters, you name it) and none of them let anybody else know who is talking to who about what. Most of the ones I know are asking me what I know so the decision making circle must be very small.

Everybody is waiting around to find out what comes next and they’re feeding the RUMINT mill and mostly it’s just a lot of downtime until the (whatever) happens.

Finally, if Jeff Munneke doesn’t write a book about the history of the team when he retires he’s doing the world a great disservice.
Post #: 1566
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 7:08:38 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

That's the problem when things get repeated over and over again, people start believing them.

McHale was as good of a post player as we've seen, but its never been shown to translate to coaching/teaching. Kevin Garnett still doesn't have ANY post moves.

And KAT is a freaking wizard in the post when the team gives him the ball. He just needs to be in a better defensive system.

I instantly thought of the old KFAN bit, Kevin McHale 'Big Man Camp. Then they listed the LONG line of putrid Wolves centers who were graduates of the camp.

President Pence will be worse.
Post #: 1567
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 7:18:54 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

quote:

Jimmy Butler yelled to the VP of Marketing "get me a salad for lunch. Balsamic vinaigrette!" and then dropped a 3 over Wiggins. This guy is incredible. #wolves

— Pat Gallen (@PatGallenCBS3) October 10, 2018

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/10/11/17963746/jimmy-butler-interview-espn-rachel-nichols-timberwolves

Okay no matter where you stand, THAT'S funny. Butler obviously has an agenda to show the Wolves "OK you want me around, this is the shit show you're going to get. IDGAF". But at least he's doing it with style.

President Pence will be worse.
Post #: 1568
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 7:18:59 PM   
bohumm

quote:

More Nate:

Here’s what I’m reasonably sure of: Butler and Thibs are gone. Unless KAT and Leon Rose do a 180 within the next 24 hours it’s only a question of when and how. That being said, this is still the Timberwolves and Glen could try rolling with the status quo because he doesn’t have access to the type of personnel that would make a change worthwhile. Also, they have a game tomorrow night and the 2 of 3 main assistants are Thibs guys who either may not want to stick around. All 4 main assistants (those two plus Ryan and John Lucas III) aren’t going to be considered for any long term head coaching position so they may not want to take a very short interim job. I know they’ve been making a shit ton of calls and the speculation as to why there isn’t a public response is because logistically they have zero time to make a change and holy crap they have a game tomorrow night.

Now, all of this is being presented by people who aren’t in the main room. From what I’ve been told that room containsTaylor, Thibs, Layden, Croom, and the CEO Casson making the main decisions. My guess is based on what I’ve been told about what office personnel are able to see in terms of who is asked to be, say, reassuring Lizhang Jiang and Terri Popp that things are going to be ok or to find the contact information for this, that, or the other organization.

That’s all I got. I think you’d be surprised at how many people over there are watching the twitter machine just like we are. Also, everybody is a secret spy for someone (local bloggers, family friends, reporters, you name it) and none of them let anybody else know who is talking to who about what. Most of the ones I know are asking me what I know so the decision making circle must be very small.

Everybody is waiting around to find out what comes next and they’re feeding the RUMINT mill and mostly it’s just a lot of downtime until the (whatever) happens.

Finally, if Jeff Munneke doesn’t write a book about the history of the team when he retires he’s doing the world a great disservice.

Jeff Munneke is a great guy. He was part of my all-time greatest sports moment when I actually got him to turn down the volume on the sound at Target Center during a game. I have never felt and will never feel as powerful......

< Message edited by bohumm -- 10/11/2018 7:39:22 PM >
Post #: 1569
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 7:28:56 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

More Nate:

Jeff Munneke is a great guy. He was part of my all-time greatest sports moment when I actually got him to turn down the volume on the sound at Target Center during a game. I have never and will never felt as powerful......

That's great -- and I know a little of the feeling. I used to operate video boards for the Twins as a part-time job during my school years. Hitting a button and seeing 30,000+ people stand up and start yelling in response -- yeah, it felt good.
Post #: 1570
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 9:35:07 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

I instantly thought of the old KFAN bit, Kevin McHale 'Big Man Camp. Then they listed the LONG line of putrid Wolves centers who were graduates of the camp.

Is the problem that too many Wolves big men did not have enough talents to play on a high level in the NBA or McHale could not them up. I believe that McHale was a very poor judge of talent.
Post #: 1571
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/11/2018 9:41:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why?

Is the problem that too many Wolves big men did not have enough talents to play on a high level in the NBA or McHale could not them up. I believe that McHale was a very poor judge of talent.

Both.
Post #: 1572
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 5:11:57 AM   
ruffenach

I thought that McHale did a decent job coaching the Rockets. However, he could not get Harden to play enough defense. That issue seem to have been solved by an offensive coach, Who is Leon Rose, KAT's agent?
Post #: 1573
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 7:13:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I thought that McHale did a decent job coaching the Rockets. However, he could not get Harden to play enough defense. That issue seem to have been solved by an offensive coach, Who is Leon Rose, KAT's agent?

Yes Leon Rose is KAT's agent.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1574
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 8:05:34 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Yes Leon Rose is KAT's agent.

Not much coming out of the Wolves war room. Nearly all of it comes from other sources. Who are the Top candidates for POBO?
Post #: 1575
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode