Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/3/2019 8:05:46 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Yep offensive line would be the smart move.

Then grab a Qb for developmental reasons because not only is cousins gone at eoc, he might get killed or maimed behind our ol as it stands, then where are we?

Offering money to Bradford again?

Trying to convince Philadelphia to let us trade for one of theirs?
Searching the scrap heap for a plug-n-play QB?

Just curious. Is Sloter not the high-end developmental guy? I never have a problem with the Dennis Green, draft a developmental guy every year. I still am very intrigued by Sloter. And we should know (more) of what we have entering the final year of Cousins contract.

There was a multiple team bidding war for Sloter (Denver in on it). He was kept on the 53 man roster when Teddy came back. There were trade rumors last year at the deadline that the Vikings were asked about him. It's curious we didn't hear anything about him this trade deadline. Maybe the hype has died down a bit? Or he's "untouchable" and Spielman has said no enough times, teams have stopped calling about him.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2151
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 4:10:57 AM   
marty

If people know a QB is going to be a "future great", he'll be long gone by 18.

Sorta like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Jimmy Garapollo, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, long gone by 18 ?

Or are you saying there is a good chance teams will NOT know, so a future star is probably waiting there to be picked at 18 ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2152
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 7:53:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

People claim to watch games..

Then they want to pick up or draft anything BUT offensive linemen...

Hoiseth and his corners, jandro and his lbers, Marty and any wr ever born

This team needs to protect the Qb and be able to gain a fn yard on second and inches or anything and goal..

Pixie dust and unicorns ain’t cutting it in the NFL

Fk the sexy pick.. draft rhinos... hippos... Brahma Bulls, any god damn thing that can block..

That's not a fair characterization of me.

I've been saying o-linemen and corners for over a decade. Those are the two most important positions on the field. If you can't get anyone blocked, you aren't going to be very good on offense. If you can't cover, you aren't going to be very good on defense.

Who was the ONE person in here pissed off about the Dalvin Cook selection? And why?

Most people in here are acting like the offensive line woes just appeared out of thin air. They've been around for quite a few years.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/4/2019 7:58:33 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 2153
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 8:40:32 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You are right Dan, I was asking for WRs a few years ago, but now we are set at WR 1 and 2, will never need one again, Diggs and Theilen will never get hurt the next 3 years.

Of course I agree that OL is the strongest need, other than maybe QB. I won't mind if they go QB, if a future great QB is there at #18.

There isn't many great quarterbacks in this draft. There are several stretches and mostly projects. We need to consistently run the ball to take the pressure off of Cousins. IF there is no strong running game, the defenses can tea off on him and exploit his weaknesses. No quarterback is any good when he is running for his life. You need a strong line to protect him and a running game to mix things up.
Post #: 2154
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 10:42:53 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Sorta like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Jimmy Garapollo, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, long gone by 18 ?

Or are you saying there is a good chance teams will NOT know, so a future star is probably waiting there to be picked at 18 ?

Marty is saying draft a QB if a "future great" is there at at 18.

I'm saying if anyone knows a guy is going to be a "future great", he won't be there at 18.

Of course you can get great QBs later than that. But most of those guys, even the teams drafting them didn't know how good they'd be, as they passed on them multiple times before pulling the trigger.
Post #: 2155
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 10:54:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

This team needs to protect the Qb and be able to gain a fn yard on second and inches or anything and goal..

Fk the sexy pick.. draft rhinos... hippos... Brahma Bulls, any god damn thing that can block..

I've been saying o-linemen and corners for over a decade. Those are the two most important positions on the field. If you can't get anyone blocked, you aren't going to be very good on offense. If you can't cover, you aren't going to be very good on defense.

Who was the ONE person in here pissed off about the Dalvin Cook selection? And why?

Most people in here are acting like the offensive line woes just appeared out of thin air. They've been around for quite a few years.

Yes you can say it every year----if you draft at the bottom of the draft like last year it wasn't easy to find a good one...I think when you look at where they drafted the last two years and see Hughes, O'Neil & Cook, Elflein (after giving a 1st round pick for Bradford) you have to see that they went oline with 1 of their 1st 2 picks the last two years.

Again they didn't ignore it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2156
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/4/2019 10:39:56 PM   
marty

Ok, David, we can agree that if anyone knows a QB is going to be a "future great", he won't be there at 18.

So draft one at 18 where you aren't sure if he will be a "future great".

I would definitely lean OL, but hope the Vikes draft a project at QB in 1 of the 1st 3 rounds, as I have little faith in Cousins becoming clutch.

I like everything Sloter has shown so far [except for not converting near the goalline, at the end of a preseason game, where the opposition blitzed]. But that is just preseason, and it hasn't been enough for them to even promote him to 2nd string, over a pretty marginal 2nd stringer in Siemian.
Post #: 2157
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/5/2019 3:56:09 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Yes you can say it every year----if you draft at the bottom of the draft like last year it wasn't easy to find a good one...I think when you look at where they drafted the last two years and see Hughes, O'Neil & Cook, Elflein (after giving a 1st round pick for Bradford) you have to see that they went oline with 1 of their 1st 2 picks the last two years.

Again they didn't ignore it.

They had five positions to replace up front. As I see it, they still haven't replaced one. Elflein sucks, plain and simple. The jury is still out on O'Neill.

Post #: 2158
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/5/2019 4:35:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

All I can hope for is not to see a laundry list of players as proof the OL was addressed. Cause that's when we will see Isadora for a 5th, Jones for a 7th, etc.

And right now Elf's career has a resemblance to Matt Kalils.
Post #: 2159
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/5/2019 4:55:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Expectations:

Reiff
1st Rounder
Elf
Second tier FA/3rd Rounder
O'Neill

Depth will be next to non-existent.
Post #: 2160
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/5/2019 7:26:23 PM   
bstinger

They should sign better than a 2nd tier FA for a starter, and then find a cheaper FA for depth. Draft a starter #1 and depth #3, hopefully get Rudolph's replacement in the 2nd.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2161
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 4:47:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Yep offensive line would be the smart move.

Then grab a Qb for developmental reasons because not only is cousins gone at eoc, he might get killed or maimed behind our ol as it stands, then where are we?

Offering money to Bradford again?

Trying to convince Philadelphia to let us trade for one of theirs?
Searching the scrap heap for a plug-n-play QB?

Just curious. Is Sloter not the high-end developmental guy? I never have a problem with the Dennis Green, draft a developmental guy every year. I still am very intrigued by Sloter. And we should know (more) of what we have entering the final year of Cousins contract.

There was a multiple team bidding war for Sloter (Denver in on it). He was kept on the 53 man roster when Teddy came back. There were trade rumors last year at the deadline that the Vikings were asked about him. It's curious we didn't hear anything about him this trade deadline. Maybe the hype has died down a bit? Or he's "untouchable" and Spielman has said no enough times, teams have stopped calling about him.

i like sloter, but i cannot see how we're going to utilize him...he's under contract for one more season and then an rfa...we've been keeping him as our #3 option developmental qb...he's at a point where he should be competing for a starting spot this next season and that won't happen with the vikings....

i'd consider making him part of a trade package as the timing and opportunity just isn't going to work out with the vikings - cousins is here for two more years minimum at $27m/yr....

all that said, i think that siemian is a very poor option for qb #2 and if we just kept sloter as our #2 for what we're paying him i'd be cool with that...i'd offer him an extension, but i think his agent would advise against it - his next deal could very well be the most valuable of his career....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2162
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 4:51:30 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

They should sign better than a 2nd tier FA for a starter, and then find a cheaper FA for depth. Draft a starter #1 and depth #3, hopefully get Rudolph's replacement in the 2nd.

i like what you've spelled out here...we need to sign and draft for our immediate needs this offseason....

sign tier #1 free agent guard (i would consider a tier #2 guard as well - sign both a tier #1 and #2))

draft:
guard
tight end
o-line

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/6/2019 4:59:05 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2163
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 9:56:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

What does 'should' mean... do you expect them to? Given that there may be 2-3 'first-tier' guards, with each likely to have several suitors, and each probably being expensive, is that some sort of default position?

Say for this purpose, the top 3 - i.e. 1st Tier - are Saffold, Foster, and Iupati (not saying they are). Saffold resigns with the winning Rams, Foster signs with someone, and Iupati retires. How does 'should' sign fold in to that?

Agree with the draft, have advocated for OL - modern day TE - OL. Interior types.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/6/2019 10:04:01 AM >
Post #: 2164
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 10:02:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

My guess is we sign (hence expectation on what they will do) some FA G coming off his first contract (that was the M.O. for a long time), and repackage him as having "potential", "better fit with scheme", "needs a change of scenery", "loves it here", "his injuries should be healed by OTAs", blah, blah.

Maybe also sign a mediocre 33+ vet to battle for a spot or retire, but he is sold as "brings veteran leadership", "stability", etc.

We may also hear the first week that "the FA contracts are crazy, it's prudent to let the market settle, yadda, yadda."

Sure we all WANT the best G or a top tier one, I'm saying it's doubtful we sign one.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/6/2019 10:07:03 AM >
Post #: 2165
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 1:53:50 PM   
bstinger

I don't have specific names in mind, honestly don't follow other teams OL's enough to tell you who is what tier or how many of each are available. It's all rather subjective anyway. My point is, we need a big upgrade so I hope we try and make one. It's anyone's guess if we'd succeed, but we better try, we should! I'm willing to cut Griffen and give most of his 11+ mil to a top Guard. I'd rather not settle for tier 2, but if we have to we have to.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2166
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 3:53:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

My guess is we sign (hence expectation on what they will do) some FA G coming off his first contract (that was the M.O. for a long time), and repackage him as having "potential", "better fit with scheme", "needs a change of scenery", "loves it here", "his injuries should be healed by OTAs", blah, blah.

Maybe also sign a mediocre 33+ vet to battle for a spot or retire, but he is sold as "brings veteran leadership", "stability", etc.

We may also hear the first week that "the FA contracts are crazy, it's prudent to let the market settle, yadda, yadda."

Sure we all WANT the best G or a top tier one, I'm saying it's doubtful we sign one.

The OLine was so glaringly bad that Speilman will overpay. He will have to or he will get fired.
Post #: 2167
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 4:37:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

The OLine was so glaringly bad that Speilman will overpay. He will have to or he will get fired.

Other teams may overpay too, it just takes one. I can't see us getting into some crazy bidding war.
Post #: 2168
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 6:56:59 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Other teams may overpay too, it just takes one. I can't see us getting into some crazy bidding war.

We did with Cousins. Now we overpay to protect him.
Post #: 2169
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/6/2019 7:03:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We did with Cousins. Now we overpay to protect him.

I don't think so but don't have inner working details. He took less to join Minny, at least over the Jets which was the only offer I heard.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/6/2019 7:05:12 PM >
Post #: 2170
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/7/2019 8:53:17 AM   
Todd M

First pick is OL or die even if it means moving up cause everyone knows your intent.

Waking up.
Post #: 2171
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/7/2019 9:19:11 AM   
Brad H

Rd1: Cody Ford, Oklahoma
Rd2: Chris Linstrom (Boston College) or Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi State)
Rd3: Caleb Wilson, UCLA

We would instantly be a better team.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/7/2019 9:21:24 AM >

Post #: 2172
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/7/2019 3:25:28 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

First pick is OL or die even if it means moving up cause everyone knows your intent.

We need to add OL talent in FA and the draft or perhaps via trade as well. We also need to add an OLine coach that can get the most out of these guys.

Sparano did that. His death hurt this unit more than people think IMO

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynahan and Alan Page
Post #: 2173
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/7/2019 6:45:05 PM   
marty

Mike Tice

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2174
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 9:10:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Mike Tice

I didn't want to mention meathead, and I think he's essentially retired now and doesn't have interest in coming back.

But He was a good Oline coach when he had a HOFer, a top notch LT (before he died) and a very good Center (Christy) and solid other guys like Dixon, Steussie and Lindsay (as the all world backup).

I would be dubious about hiring him. He did well because he had great players. Most coaches would.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynahan and Alan Page
Post #: 2175
Page:   <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode