Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Bruce Johnson, El Duderino, drew, BigSky, Ian Joseph
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 6:52:36 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Me thinks Kyle Sloter is gonna beat out Trevor Seimien for the #2 spot, or my buddies who live in Denver are full of shite.

I'd love to see that happen.

I'm not as high on Siemian as most. His lack of accuracy, even with time, is concerning.
Post #: 26
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 6:56:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

From Vikings Corner:

The #Vikings have an intriguing group of UDFA and second-year WRs. Really fascinated to see a few of them as camp progresses. (Zylstra, Beebe, Robertson).

Mike Boone looks really natural as a pass catcher when he is used in that capacity. It's something that showed up on film too, particularly his game vs. Michigan. He's worth watching as camp progresses. #Vikings

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 27
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 7:21:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Too early, but not much to read, right now.

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/07/2018-vikings-pre-training-camp-53-man.html#more

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 28
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 7:43:05 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/07/2018-vikings-pre-training-camp-53-man.html#more

read that a few days back....

roc thomes - rb...let ham play fb/#3rb
tavarres king - wr...i don't think so, he's 28yrs old and never really done anything...coley?
brandon Zylstra - wr...why not if he wins it
tyler conklin - te
no blake bell...i think that we keep bell for blocking purposes

we might want to keep david parry and another one of our young freakishly athletic de's....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 29
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 8:36:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Me thinks Kyle Sloter is gonna beat out Trevor Seimien for the #2 spot, or my buddies who live in Denver are full of shite.

I'm not as high on Siemian as most. His lack of accuracy, even with time, is concerning.

Someone's high on Siemian?
Post #: 30
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 8:39:52 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

In here? Of course.

Don't get me wrong, he's not getting Ponder-love, but he has received plenty of nods of approval.
Post #: 31
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 8:42:20 PM   
ratoppenheimer

it seems crazy, but cook looks faster, looser and more athletic than last year's camp - he's going to blow the door open this season....

https://www.vikings.com/video/training-camp-highlights-july-26

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings rookie tackle Brian O'Neill is packing on pounds by eating 6,000 calories a day.

Post #: 32
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 8:44:44 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

they're rollin' and smokin' him, baby....

Post #: 33
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 11:06:08 PM   
Pager

What's the measure? A back up? I think he's a decent back up, about the same as Keenum when we signed him. Played inconsistent. Had a pretty terrible oline both years. Had the 27th ranked running game in 2016 and 12th in 2017. Spotty WR play. Not a big fan of denvers coaching either.

If Sloter makes strides and has the confidence of the coaches? I still probably hang onto Siemian. 20 starts is a stark contrast to 0 snaps in the NFL.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 34
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/26/2018 11:50:03 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

What's the measure? A back up? I think he's a decent back up, about the same as Keenum when we signed him. Played inconsistent. Had a pretty terrible oline both years. Had the 27th ranked running game in 2016 and 12th in 2017. Spotty WR play. Not a big fan of denvers coaching either.

If Sloter makes strides and has the confidence of the coaches? I still probably hang onto Siemian. 20 starts is a stark contrast to 0 snaps in the NFL.

Spotty?

Would you consider our WR play, the last two seasons, as spotty?

Those two old boys in Denver are pretty good. In fact, not much of a difference in production over the last two seasons compared to Thielen and Diggs.

Sorry, not buying the "spotty WR play".

I did see some spotty QB play.
Post #: 35
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 7:59:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

#Vikings WR Stacy Coley suffered a strained groin when running a route in practice on Wednesday and didn't practice Thursday. He's hopeful the injury won't keep him out long. "Just about for a few days,'' he said.

Post #: 36
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 8:18:26 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/general-news/joe-berger-says-on-kfan-his-decision-to-retire-was-agonizing

Nice Q & A

, so the thought of getting back out there and playing with Linval [Joseph]… Linval would snap me in half the first practice. So, I’ll pass on that and I’ll enjoy seeing it from this side of the field.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 37
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 8:53:01 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/general-news/joe-berger-says-on-kfan-his-decision-to-retire-was-agonizing

Nice Q & A

, so the thought of getting back out there and playing with Linval [Joseph]… Linval would snap me in half the first practice. So, I’ll pass on that and I’ll enjoy seeing it from this side of the field.

Oy

There went one fall back option.
Post #: 38
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 9:20:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Nice Q & A

Oy

I know. Joe sure didn't sound like he has any interest whatsoever in returning.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 39
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 9:43:23 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

below are the top-rated free agent guards still available...i think that spielman should bring them in and see if he can sign a couple to lowish, non-guaranteed one-year deals...let them compete with who we've already got and go with the best four in camp - and then draft an o-lineman in the 1st round next year like he should have this year....

luke joeckel
jeff allen
j.r. sneezy
zane beadles
jahri evans

Agreed! The line was a big question mark even before the loss of Sparano. This team cannot risk a scenario where they are forced to start a bottom of the barrel player. We've seen that scenario play out too many times before.

Except for Joeckel and Evans, those names all look like jokes to me. Jeff Allen is poster on Talk Vikes, J.R. Sneezy?? Really. Zane I want to hold your hand Beadles.

IMO Joekel sounds more like joke than any of them.

LOL because it's almost like spelling joke at the beginning? It seems like a real name at least, but your point is taken. So all but Evans look like joke list.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 40
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 9:46:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

read that a few days back....

roc thomes - rb...let ham play fb/#3rb
tavarres king - wr...i don't think so, he's 28yrs old and never really done anything...coley?
brandon Zylstra - wr...why not if he wins it
tyler conklin - te
no blake bell...i think that we keep bell for blocking purposes

we might want to keep david parry and another one of our young freakishly athletic de's....

David Parry seems like he should be the first backup to Joseph.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 41
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 9:51:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

it seems crazy, but cook looks faster, looser and more athletic than last year's camp - he's going to blow the door open this season....

https://www.vikings.com/video/training-camp-highlights-july-26

#Vikings rookie tackle Brian O'Neill is packing on pounds by eating 6,000 calories a day.

Cook has to be good. I'm all in on him for fantasy football this year.
Did they say O'neill's weight at this time? Hopefully it's not just weight but muscle.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/27/2018 9:52:23 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 42
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 10:24:35 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Spotty?

Would you consider our WR play, the last two seasons, as spotty?

Those two old boys in Denver are pretty good. In fact, not much of a difference in production over the last two seasons compared to Thielen and Diggs.

Sorry, not buying the "spotty WR play".

I did see some spotty QB play.

There was spotty QB play. Hence the term "inconsistent". Like most young QBs.

As far as "selling" WR production. Yes I would call Thomas and Sanders play spotty. Sanders missed 4 games last year but lacked separation and explosiveness in quite a few other games. Thomas, between drops and missed plays, was ineffective at times. Rudolph is 10x better than any TE Siemian had to throw to and we have better backs as well. Based on the what I saw, I think the advanced stats, like contested catch rate, drop %, separation would support. But I could be wrong, not the first time.

Again I'll take our coaches over Broncos (and it's not close). It's difficult to judge a QB with a shit line and run game. But I'll give you WR production if you want it.

If the last 3 years have taught us anything, QB depth is kinda important. I think Siemian is an adequate back up, nothing more or less. I loved the Sloter signing, think he's got great potential. At this point, as a fan, I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with Sloter and his lack of experience (guy had more WR snaps in college than QB).

Beyond that, have at it.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 43
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 11:12:20 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice Q & A

Oy

Didn't he shop himself around in free agenacy this last offseason?
Post #: 44
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 11:16:41 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice Q & A

Oy

Didn't he shop himself around in free agenacy this last offseason?

He officially retired in March, despite having offers from multiple clubs.
Post #: 45
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 12:38:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

below are the top-rated free agent guards still available...i think that spielman should bring them in and see if he can sign a couple to lowish, non-guaranteed one-year deals...let them compete with who we've already got and go with the best four in camp - and then draft an o-lineman in the 1st round next year like he should have this year....

luke joeckel
jeff allen
j.r. sneezy
zane beadles
jahri evans

Agreed! The line was a big question mark even before the loss of Sparano. This team cannot risk a scenario where they are forced to start a bottom of the barrel player. We've seen that scenario play out too many times before.

The thing is, if they are still available right now...they are, by definition, bottom of the barrell players themselves.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 46
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 5:52:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Finally we get some decent notes on a practice. (which was yesterday)

Rookies took the field for their first afternoon practice session. As always, it means QBs and other position players are lining up at various positions to fill spots during install periods. Most of the practice session involved basic individual work and installation.

I wrote a piece about Korey Robertson prior to training camp. He was much bigger than I was anticipating in terms of build. Robertson was dynamic after the catch at Southern Mississippi and I'm interested to watch him when the full team arrives. The same is the case with Jeff Badet, who has been well regarded for his speed and vertical playmaking ability. When seeing him in person, he was taller than I anticipated. With all of the hype surrounding his explosiveness, he'll be worth watching. Badet also took reps in the return game and could carve out a role in that capacity as well.

During the QB/RB drills, it was worth noting how comfortable RB Mike Boone looked as a receiver. He was used in this capacity at Cincy, especially in the screen game. During the limited set of drills they ran, Boone looked natural as a pass catcher.
Mike Hughes, Stacy Coley, Chad Beebe joined him in the special teams return work.

And here:

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/07/notebook-kirk-cousins-transitions-into.html

Post #: 47
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 5:55:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/brandon-zylstra-out-to-prove-he-can-translate-cfl-success-to-vikings/

Post #: 48
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 7:50:29 PM   
Todd M

Thielen
Diggs
Wright
Treadwell
Zylstra

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 49
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/27/2018 8:19:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Thielen
Diggs
Wright
Treadwell
Zylstra

Is that your predicted order at end of camp? Or is it the Order as of today?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode