Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: BigSky, CPAMAN, kevinemmer
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:37:29 PM   
Pager

Cousins when asked about being on pace for 5k yards and career high in TDs:

These questions are tough to answer because it’s just not where my mind is at on a weekly basis,” Cousins said. “It does me no good to answer that question, to talk about that. I want to focus on the Arizona Cardinals, trying to win any way we can. If I throw for zero yards, throw zero passes and we win, we’re doing our job as an organization, as a team and we come in here on Monday happy. Certainly that doesn’t tend to happen, you do tend to throw the ball and stats can give you an indication of how a player’s playing but it does not tell the whole story.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:38:23 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: hrerikl

Speaking of the Linval Joseph touchdown, Watch Sheldon Richardson. He was in position to lay a huge block on Isaac Seumalo #73. I remember thinking "Oh crap, here comes a flag for a crack back block ." Instead Richardson smartly held up and just held him up enough to ensure he couldn't catch Joseph. In today's game with today's officiating it was a smart play.

All around smart football play by Richardson.

Post #: 6427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:41:58 PM   
Pager

The Cards are rated 32nd in pass block grade by Pro Football Focus

The 32nd rush block oline vs the 32nd pass block oline.

in the modern area I guess it's better to be able to pass block but some balance sure would be nice.

Post #: 6428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:42:16 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

These questions are tough to answer because it’s just not where my mind is at on a weekly basis,” Cousins said. “It does me no good to answer that question, to talk about that. I want to focus on the Arizona Cardinals, trying to win any way we can. If I throw for zero yards, throw zero passes and we win, we’re doing our job as an organization, as a team and we come in here on Monday happy. Certainly that doesn’t tend to happen, you do tend to throw the ball and stats can give you an indication of how a player’s playing but it does not tell the whole story.

Dude is often accused of putting up numbers but not wins.

In the small sample size I’ve seen,
Dude puts up big numbers, by trying to win.

First Viking QB I’ve seen who looks the part since ‘09 Favre and early Culpepper.
Amazing to think I tried to hope Ponder and Jackson would some day get “it”

Cousins has “it”

Here’s what really irks me.

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
And Not most of the fans.
Post #: 6429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:48:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

First Viking QB I’ve seen who looks the part since ‘09 Favre and early Culpepper.

Cousins has “it”

I agree, but I think he is doing it with less of an offensive line which makes it all the more impressive. Sam Bradford had a few really impressive games, but Cousins seems to be doing it every week.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 6430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:52:19 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

Couldn’t agree more Murf...

Cousins has surprised the hell outta me, stands strong, is accurate downfield, and has more pocket presence then I imagined.

We’ll see what kinda heart he has going forward in the big moments, but he is passing every test I had for him excepting the Bills game.
Post #: 6431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:52:54 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

I agree, but I think he is doing it with less of an offensive line which makes it all the more impressive. Sam Bradford had a few really impressive games, but Cousins seems to be doing it every week.

Agree with you both (especially the "it" factor).

I believe our defense will do better (too much talent even without Griff). Rushing attack can't get worse (hope to see marginal improvement).

Still think/hope we make some noise.

Post #: 6432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:56:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

in the modern area I guess it's better to be able to pass block but some balance sure would be nice.

Zona gives up 142 yards rushing per game, 31st in the league.
Post #: 6433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 7:58:24 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

Cousins has surprised the hell outta me, stands strong, is accurate downfield, and has more pocket presence then I imagined.

We’ll see what kinda heart he has going forward in the big moments, but he is passing every test I had for him excepting the Bills game.

He's re-affirmed and if possible is better than what I expected. He's consistently looked liked Bradford in the NO game (amazing throw after amazing throw - except of course the Bills game).

The heart he showed in the GB and Rams games, I no longer doubt it.

When WAS traded for Alex, and it was a certainty that Cousins would hit the market, I knew Mike Shanahan was a huge backer. Reading what Kyle and McVay said about him convinced me. Easy to ignore/dismiss the noise from WAS FO and Gruden.

< Message edited by Pager -- 10/10/2018 7:59:38 PM >

Post #: 6434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:18:12 PM  1 votes
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

It's funny. I came in here (Vikings thread) yesterday for the first time in a week and about the third time in eight months. My goal was to talk football. I made a comment about Dalvin Cook. Granted, it was to spark some fire in people that I have had a long-standing argument with, but a legitimate football post.

Then, after making the post, I find a handful of people mentioning my name in a post. I search through pages but can't find any evidence of what they are talking about. One individual is crediting me (or discrediting me in this case) for posing as another person. It was followed by people defending me and others jumping on the posters bandwagon.

It became very clear to me though this process that this place really needs me. Now, provided Ian Joseph Stalin can handle himself as a moderator and quit censoring posts, randomly, I may stay for awhile.

I tend to assimilate people who think so highly of themselves as those who have actually done something of significance (No, simply the definition of narcissism)

Or perhaps knowledge of what he talks about (JCFootball writer) Yet we get crap like Adam Thielen should be a Sunglass salesman...

Or the Maurice Clarrett’s, and Colt Brennan’s of the world being world beaters?

Dude get over yourself, you are a completely flawed football fan as all of us are, however you are never in here to celebrate any wins, but all too available to pour salt in the wounds of long suffering Viking fans.

Nobody in here needs you bro, but in those brief moments like just before Walsh shanked a 27 yarder and you seemed like a freakin actual human being/ Viking fan, you get zero sympathy......
Post #: 6435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:25:17 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

He's re-affirmed and if possible is better than what I expected. He's consistently looked liked Bradford in the NO game (amazing throw after amazing throw - except of course the Bills game).

When WAS traded for Alex, and it was a certainty that Cousins would hit the market, I knew Mike Shanahan was a huge backer. Reading what Kyle and McVay said about him convinced me. Easy to ignore/dismiss the noise from WAS FO and Gruden.

Speaking of Smith, he isn't exactly lighting it up for Kirk's old team. Averaging 260 yards and 1 TD per game.
Post #: 6436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:29:52 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Good Attitude

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 6437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:36:38 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

Speaking of Smith, he isn't exactly lighting it up for Kirk's old team. Averaging 260 yards and 1 TD per game.

Looked awful Monday night against a NO defense that hadn't been playing that well.

Post #: 6438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:41:20 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Any word on Grif?

His return would be a nice shot in the arm.

Edit:Everson Griffen not expected back 'anytime soon'

ByANTHONY BROOME Oct 8, 11:35 AM

"How long Griffin will be away from the Vikings remains uncertain," Schefter writes. "Another source told ESPN that Griffen 'could be back next week or could never play again; you just don't know when it comes to mental health.'"

Out for the season is a likely outcome.

Glad that "another source" was able to add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

That was my son. He's usually spot on with his completely uninformed guesses.

So we should start calling you 'CPADAD'?

I'd prefer "I just spew negative and uninformed hateful crap over and over and over ad nauseum" dad

That just seems like a lot to type over CPADAD.

Maybe you could come up with something shorter like Plbt!

Good point. My fingers did get kind of tired typing that much.
Post #: 6439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:41:54 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

Zona gives up 142 yards rushing per game, 31st in the league.

So take that number and divide by two. That gives you 71 yards. The Vikings average what about 2.3 yds per carry or thereabouts? So take 71 and divide by 2.3 = 31 carries. But the Vikings only rush the ball about four times per quarter or 16 times per game. 16 x 2.3 = 37 yards. But AZ sucks at rush defense, so add 142 rushing yards allowed to other teams that actually have a running game to 37 yards (what you would expect from the Vikings running attack) and you get 179 yards. But you have to divide that quotient by two to obtain the median. So 179/2 = about 90 rounded up. In conclusion, anticipate the Vikings to rush for 89 yards vs. AZ on Sunday.

Post #: 6440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:43:25 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any word on Grif?

"How long Griffin will be away from the Vikings remains uncertain," Schefter writes. "Another source told ESPN that Griffen 'could be back next week or could never play again; you just don't know when it comes to mental health.'"

Glad that "another source" was able to add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I'd prefer "I just spew negative and uninformed hateful crap over and over and over ad nauseum" dad

That just seems like a lot to type over CPADAD.

Maybe you could come up with something shorter like Plbt!

Good point. My fingers did get kind of tired typing that much.

What is all of this about?

Post #: 6441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 8:46:16 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any word on Grif?

Haha

Spot on dad...Please stay retired, and lock up your computer in the basement.

OK. I'm going back into retirement. Having to hand-crank this old computer
to get it to work is exhausting anyway.
Post #: 6442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 9:03:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

Looked awful Monday night against a NO defense that hadn't been playing that well.

We're seeing just how QB friendly the Chief's offense is.

Smith must be missing it terribly.
Post #: 6443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 9:21:52 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins has “it”

We're seeing just how QB friendly the Chief's offense is.

Smith must be missing it terribly.

It's a great example of something that seemed just 'fine' on the surface (Alex Smith's performance in that system) but look what was possible! Patrick Mahomes is showing how to gauge performance within the context of the system. There are MANY similar scenarios on every team including the Vikings - positions where the stats 'appear fine' but in reality could be so much better with someone with more talent/skills.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 6444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/10/2018 9:29:58 PM   
Pager

Exactly Dave F. Context matters. Cornerstone of the QB debates. I'm still fired up about this topic, my high school buddy living in hometown MN is still talking about Keenum plus the $ > Cousins. Can't convince him we'd be 1-4 or worse with Keenum. Talk radios here are calling for Kelly to start over Keenum. I think that's a little extreme, my prediction was game 8 or so before the seat got warm for Keenum.

Post #: 6445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/11/2018 12:29:42 AM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

It's funny. I came in here (Vikings thread) yesterday for the first time in a week and about the third time in eight months. My goal was to talk football. I made a comment about Dalvin Cook. Granted, it was to spark some fire in people that I have had a long-standing argument with, but a legitimate football post.

Then, after making the post, I find a handful of people mentioning my name in a post. I search through pages but can't find any evidence of what they are talking about. One individual is crediting me (or discrediting me in this case) for posing as another person. It was followed by people defending me and others jumping on the posters bandwagon.

It became very clear to me though this process that this place really needs me. Now, provided Ian Joseph Stalin can handle himself as a moderator and quit censoring posts, randomly, I may stay for awhile.

Just becuz I can edit your shit. Maybe you will do us a favor and leave like you actually never did. I offered you a grown man offer to squash all this and you did exactly what I thought you would. You manned down.

So keep my name out your mouth, old man.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 6446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/11/2018 3:38:41 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Close your eyes, defensive coaches and players...

Since the 1970 merger, this year has through five weeks the…
– highest Comp Pct (65.0%)
– most Pass TD (275)
– highest TD Pct (4.8%)
– highest TD-Int ratio (1.95)
– highest pass attempts per team per game (36.6)

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/11/2018 6:19:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

The amazing thing about Kirk is he produces indoors and outdoors. Just wait until it gets colder out for Case. Case struggles outdoors. Kirk played outdoors majority of his games in the NFC east.

He was a top 5 qb in many categories with less talent and playing mostly outdoors. Dante, George, Cunningham, and even Brad Johnson were not cold weather guys. Our last cold weather QB other than Favre was probably Kramer

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/11/2018 6:28:37 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/11/2018 6:24:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

Big key in next couple of games is cutting back on Thielen and Diggs snaps. This is about when Diggs hammy starts flaring. Six games in the last two years. It would be nice to have 200 yard rushing this week. Get er done

Post #: 6449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/11/2018 7:02:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

Lots of positives and negatives to pull from the first 5 games...the oline, special teams, and running game still need work. Good game to work on it this weekend.

Post #: 6450
Page:   <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode