Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: ratoppenheimer, Bruce Johnson
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 11:56:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/your-2018-vikings-draft-class-power-rankings/

Need membership to read.

A free membership...
Post #: 776
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:13:54 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Coach Mike Zimmer said #Vikings are looking at "all free-agent areas.'' And, yes, that includes offensive linemen.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on Richie Ingognito calling him a "liar" yesterday and then later apologizing: "I have no thoughts on it.''

I'd sleep fine if Richie Incognito called me names.
Any names he'd like.
I'd take my chances against him in a character contest.
Saw that horsebleep come across the ticker one night and worried about it, until I saw that POS's name associated with it.

What's up, Scott?! :)

That's the place I'm searching for in life. What you think of me is none of my business. Gotta love Zim

S'all good my man
I think you're doing just fine ...
And yep ... Zims a hoot. Comfy in his own skin. One part of our program I really don't worry about.
Losing seems to bug him as much as it does me. I like that in my manager/coach/owner.
We need more of that around these parts.
Post #: 777
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:17:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

spotrac top rated available fa guards....

luke joeckel
jeff allen
zane beadles
jahri evans

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 778
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:24:59 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/your-2018-vikings-draft-class-power-rankings/

Need membership to read.

Here you go:

With rookies having now been at training camp for nearly two weeks, we’re starting to get a stronger impression of who could make an impact for the Minnesota Vikings in 2018.

Looking back, you might be surprised to find some decent opinions in previous years’ attempts at ranking the rookies.

In 2015, yours truly ranked Stefon Diggs No. 1 and Danielle Hunter No. 2 out of 10 rookies. Trae Waynes was fourth and Eric Kendricks was fifth. Only MyCole Pruitt at No. 3 turned out to be a whiff.

The 2016 class was generally nondescript, yet Laquon Treadwell and Mackensie Alexander still earned placings in the lower half of the rankings. Having David Morgan at No. 1 might seem laughable, but it’s hard to find another draft pick from that class who’s done their job more consistently. Was Jayron Kearse at No. 2 a little high in retrospect? Yes. But don’t forget he won Mr. Mankato that summer.

A reminder: These rankings are based more so upon performance compared to expectations. For example, a first-round pick might be a better player than a seventh-round pick, but if the seventh-round pick is moving up the depth chart and the first-rounder is plunging down, then the player on the rise gets the higher ranking.

Surprisingly, this year’s rankings actually correlate with draft position quite closely. Here they are:

8. DE Ade Aruna (sixth round)

When the Vikings drafted this Nigerian born pass rusher out of Tulane, they knew they were getting a project. Having only started playing football in high school, Aruna is raw. While he contains many of the physical tools the Vikings are looking for, he’s got a lot of refining to do. At age 24, his upside is lower than an edge rusher like Danielle Hunter, who was taken at age 20. Aruna may be destined for the practice squad.

7. G Colby Gossett (sixth round)

While Gossett may see more meaningful reps because of Minnesota’s injuries on the interior line, he has yet to be trusted above Danny Isidora to get a shot at first-team guard, even during a time of year when the team likes to experiment with new rotations. Plus, head coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that Isidora struggled during his first week.

Gossett may fall into a roster spot if someone above him begins the season on the PUP, but he’s yet to flash in camp and has struggled in 1-on-1 drills.

6. LB Devante Downs (seventh round)

Downs has been full go during training camp after missing most spring activities as he recovered from his knee injury as a college senior. That could keep him in the running for a roster spot, though he’s third on the team’s middle linebacker depth chart and has only gotten sparing looks with the second-team base. Linebackers are difficult to evaluate in training camp, but Downs hasn’t popped as much as veterans Antwione Williams and Reshard Cliett. He’ll need strong preseason performances to earn favor.

5. TE Tyler Conklin (fifth round)

The Central Michigan tight end has not generated the type of hype that last year’s rookie tight end Bucky Hodges did, but he may have a more defined niche in the NFL.

Hodges was an athletic pass-catching threat but struggled with the game’s nuances and got released shortly after cut-down day. Conklin, like counterpart David Morgan, doesn’t have wheels but possesses good hands. He’ll need to improve his blocking to truly imitate Morgan, but if he grows in that area the Vikings could have a formidable “13” personnel unit — assuming he makes the 53-man roster.

4. DT Jalyn Holmes (fourth round)

After overcoming a broken hand in OTAs, Holmes has looked solid in camp, though he’s taken a backseat at times to converted defensive tackle Ifeadi Odenigbo, who has jumped him on the depth chart.

Holmes is a near lock to make this roster with Sheldon Richardson on just a one-year contract. But because of Richardson’s presence, Brian Robison’s inside flexibility and Odenigbo’s emergence, the pressure may be off Holmes to be a Year 1 contributor. Zimmer has rarely relied on young defenders to make immediate impacts, so if Holmes doesn’t contribute much this season it shouldn’t be a red flag.

3. K Daniel Carlson (fifth round)

There might be a scenario where Carlson is the most impactful Vikings rookie this season, but the big-legged Auburn kicker is still locked in a battle with Kai Forbath.

Carlson has outkicked Forbath for much of the offseason — and his strength on kickoffs is noticeable — but a recent head-to-head victory by Forbath in a field goal session has closed the gap. Like Forbath’s last challenger Marshall Koehn, Carlson has the superior leg, but his reliability in games could be a discerning factor.

On paper, though, he’s done enough to win the job.

Priefer and Zimmer have both alluded to deciding on their kicker early in the preseason. If Carlson stays perfect against Denver and Jacksonville, he could be given the job. If Forbath bests him, the competition may continue up to cut day.

2. OT Brian O’Neill (second round)

The former tight end turned tackle was asked to take on a first-team role early on in training camp and held his own with Rashod Hill missing time due to a stomach virus. O’Neill has largely been relegated to second-team work since Hill’s return, but his effort has been adequate against Minnesota’s backup pass rushers. Coaches have also complimented his ability to get to the second level on blocks.

The Vikings have very little help at tackle beyond O’Neill and Aviante Collins, meaning O’Neill’s development this camp is vital.

1. CB Mike Hughes (first round)

The last two first-round picks, Trae Waynes and Laquon Treadwell, have had underwhelming starts to their first training camp. Not so for Hughes, who has passed the eye test despite remaining beyond Terence Newman on the depth chart. Anything else would be surprising, though, considering Newman’s tenure.

Hughes has demonstrated a good backpedal in coverage, requisite acceleration to close ground and break up passes, as well as a knack for gunning and returning on special teams that will make him valuable whether he plays defensive reps or not.

It’s worth being cautious until a real game is played, but Hughes’ first two weeks have been fantastic.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 779
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:29:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

again, easton is shot....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

We don't like the news, except that his career is not over. Nevertheless, I think we do want to have our eyes opened to what's going on. We want the clarity. So, with that in mind, I'm glad that we got the straight news.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 780
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:49:07 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Here we go again..
Post #: 781
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:49:30 PM  1 votes
David F.

Vikings are no longer super bowl contenders in my opinion unless Rick can miracle a trade for a quality guard. Barr and/or Waynes should be enough. Sweet Jesus we needed a guard in the 1st round.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 782
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 12:55:35 PM   
BigSky

Man! I'll feel a little more relieved when or if Elflein gets back on the field.
Till then.

The Season of: 8 SECOND RIDE! We're going to stay on
that Bull till the VERY END!
Post #: 783
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 1:04:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

OUCH!!!

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 784
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 1:08:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Vikings are no longer super bowl contenders in my opinion unless Rick can miracle a trade for a quality guard. Barr and/or Waynes should be enough. Sweet Jesus we needed a guard in the 1st round.

We are still contenders and the sky is not falling. Easton's loss will be felt, but far from devastating. Collins could be just as good already. Let's trade Waynes for a pro bowl OL and all is good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 785
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 1:24:14 PM  1 votes
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigSky

Man! I'll feel a little more relieved when or if Elflein gets back on the field.
Till then.

And Remmers/Hill show they can at least be adequate. But Elf back would calm a lot of my acid re-flux.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 786
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 1:55:37 PM   
David Levine

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
4m4 minutes ago

Mike Zimmer said he knows everyone is worried about Vikings' line, but likes the group's mentality. "We're going to figure out a way to get it done, so: Calm. Tweet that. That's my new saying. We're going to get a bunch of Mike Zimmer Foundation T-shirts that say, 'Tweet that.'"
Post #: 787
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 1:58:35 PM   
Bruce Johnson

@DanielHouseNFL

Zimmer discussed one of things Danny Isidora must improve is sustaining blocks in the second level. It's something you notice at practice during some of the team sessions/rushing periods, especially for outside runs. #Vikings

Post #: 788
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:02:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

After both Rhodes and Diggs addressed the team, some themes are clear:

* They view themselves as leaders who need to be held accountable to the team and take their responsibility seriously
* They view each other as family, and families can fight even if they love each other

* They both watched practice during the practice they missed
* Incidents like these can make a team stronger, if handled well
* They think Zimmer handled it well

(Arif)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/9/2018 2:03:35 PM >

Post #: 789
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:06:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

After both Rhodes and Diggs addressed the team, some themes are clear:

* They view themselves as leaders who need to be held accountable to the team and take their responsibility seriously
* They view each other as family, and families can fight even if they love each other

* They both watched practice during the practice they missed
* Incidents like these can make a team stronger, if handled well
* They think Zimmer handled it well

(Arif)

That's sure what we all want to hear. Hopefully it is sincere.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 790
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:19:26 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Need membership to read.

A free membership...

I've already got 80000 memberships, I don't need 80001
Post #: 791
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:21:10 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
4m4 minutes ago

Mike Zimmer said he knows everyone is worried about Vikings' line, but likes the group's mentality. "We're going to figure out a way to get it done, so: Calm. Tweet that. That's my new saying. We're going to get a bunch of Mike Zimmer Foundation T-shirts that say, 'Tweet that.'"

Enjoy the season.
Post #: 792
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:25:16 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 793
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 2:26:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

What if they didn't like any of the Guards available? Do you still take one?
Post #: 794
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:05:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like is a relative term. I'm sure there were players they liked.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 795
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:06:31 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.
Post #: 796
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:12:52 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.
Post #: 797
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:21:18 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.

You used that argument last year, and it was dead on, as they got Cook first and Elflein later. Spielman seems to do this a lot, oftentimes with good results. E.g., take Barr early and still get Bridgewater later. Maybe he got a little too cute this year, but time will tell, and good CBs are not easy to find at the end of round 1. We may come to regret passing up on Ian Thomas for the extra 6th round pick.
Post #: 798
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:27:56 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

This is very bad.

Vikings left guard Nick Easton will seek a second opinion this week for neck and back injuries, a source tells ESPN. Easton missed Saturday's practice and is being held out today along with starters Pat Elflein and Mike Remmers. Third-string center Cornelius Edison is working... (Courtney Cronin)

Ouch

I think it's fair to go in to panic mode. Those type of injuries rarely go away

agreed, easton is shot...we need to bring in at least one fa player...or trade....

“Easton is shot”?

Haha, and I thought I was knee Jerk...

Well the knee jerks have it...

My apologies Rat..

Sheesh!

Kind of what I was afraid of passing on OL in the draft early.

However if Hughes is as good as they are saying, I’ll be ok unless Hernandez is a stud..

Drafting strictly for need did net us Troy Williamson.
Post #: 799
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:52:40 PM   
stfrank

A few chicken little's so far, but not as bad as I was expecting after hearing about Easton today.
They have managed to lower my expectations without even playing a preseason game this year. Last year it took a terrible preseason to lower my expectations and then they took us on great ride that ended in a thud. I sure hope this season is as much fun as last year.....time will tell.
Post #: 800
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode