Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Ragnarök, odin, CPAMAN, David F., beo, Mark Anderson
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 10:26:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Plus you might be looking at our future LT (and 12M cap savings)

Reiff dead cap

2019... 6.6 ml
2020....4.4 ml
2021....2.2 ml

Reiff isn't going anywhere until maybe 2021. That is the last year of O'Neal's rookie deal

reiff is solid at lt...no reason to rush his departure...perhaps we can restructure him and save some short-term cap money....

at this time i really do not see us extending barr....

possible cap savings next season:

sendejo....$5.5m
griffen....$10.5m
waynes....$9m
rudolph....$7.6m
remmers....$4.5m

Do they cut or not resign
Sendejo, yes
Griffen,No
Waynes, No
Rudolph, maybe
Remmers, yes
I think they keep Waynes over Barr. Zimmer choice

waynes is only a one-year committment...barr would have to be a much bigger financial obligation....

remmers is tough - today, i don't think that we have a replacement ...1st/2nd round pick in 2019 - maybe....

rudolph - imo we should have drafted his replacement in the first couple of rounds 2018 - do we trust a rookie/2019 pick next season?...i don't think so....

griffen - although it won't be popular, i think there's a good chance we let griffen go - his deal is designed for a 2019 exit...perhaps we can rework his contract....

Belicek would have traded Griffen this year (had he not had the episode of course).

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 8176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 11:41:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

ESPNs Barnwell

5. Danielle Hunter is great but probably not this great.

With Everson Griffen missing most of the first half and Brian Robison released, the Vikings have essentially relied on the 24-year-old Hunter to serve as their pass rush. The results have been spectacular. He leads the league with 11.5 sacks in nine games, and the former third-round pick is on pace to top 20 sacks this season. No other Minnesota player has racked up more than three sacks.

Hunter has managed to do this while knocking down the quarterback only 15 times. History tells us that pass-rushers typically rack up sacks about 45 percent of the time they take down the quarterback, and players who veer dramatically from that sack percentage tend to regress toward it over a longer period of time. Before 2018, Hunter had racked up 25.5 sacks on 39 knockdowns, which is more than you would expect given the 45 percent measure, but not quite this extreme of a total. By the 45 percent mark, we would estimate that Hunter should have just under seven sacks so far, not 11.5.

The good news for the Vikings is that the rest of the pass rush should help to counteract a potential Hunter drop-off. The trio of Griffen, Sheldon Richardson and Stephen Weatherly have combined for only seven sacks on 28 knockdowns when that number would typically create something closer to 12.6 sacks. One of the more obvious outliers in this same category would also benefit Minnesota, as Bears pass-rusher Khalil Mack has five sacks on only four knockdowns this season. Given that Mack racked up 22 knockdowns last season, though, it seems likely he'll up his underlying hit rate once he returns from an ankle injury

WHAT A DOUCHE.

OK. Maybe Hunter is just better and getting home and completing sacks that the average guy?

Overreliance on Nerdylitic Stats is hampering this dumbshit's view.

Hunter has a bit more closing speed than Stalin Colinet.

Also, the changes in the rules to protect the quartback have to be considered...one cannot accurately use historical stats in the context of dramatic changes in the rules....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 11:47:44 AM   
SoMnFan

All this bye week talk about the remaining schedule.
We've talked about it in here, and others are picking up on it too.
IF we get thru it, we will not be entering the playoffs untested.
It might be exactly what we need. Will be a damn tough bunch, probably not affected by much.
At least that's what I'm hanging my hopes on at this point. We will have seen all the good ones by the time we get there.
Post #: 8178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 12:05:04 PM   
TJSweens

I agree. I would be surprised if knock downs aren't on the decline. It becomes riskier all the time to make contact with the QB once the ball is away.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 8179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 12:09:25 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I agree. I would be surprised if knock downs aren't on the decline. It becomes riskier all the time to make contact with the QB once the ball is away.

It does seem silly to apply those stats to today. Hell, you pretty much don't want to knock down the QB if he doesn't have the ball.
If you do knock down the QB and there is a penalty, it's not statistically a knock down.

Seemed like an anti Hunter bias. Why not show us the correlation of pressures to sacks instead?

< Message edited by JT2 -- 11/8/2018 12:11:32 PM >
Post #: 8180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 2:23:43 PM   
marty

Anyone else excited about the Abdullah signing ?

He is a nice weapon, one more thing to make the Vikings' offense harder to defend.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 2:45:00 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

He is a nice weapon, one more thing to make the Vikings' offense harder to defend.

In 2018 he's averaging one fumble for every one carry. How's that for an abuse of stats?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 8182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 3:18:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

I want to see him in action before I get too excited. I did hear that he might be used as a kick returner. I liked him a lot coming out of college. He averaged over 6 ypc for his last two years. I just checked and he was drafted 9 spots after Eric Kendricks in the second round. He was a disappointment in Detroit, though.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 3:21:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

I want to see him in action before I get too excited. I did hear that he might be used as a kick returner. I liked him a lot coming out of college. He averaged over 6 ypc for his last two years. I just checked and he was drafted 9 spots after Eric Kendricks in the second round. He was a disappointment in Detroit, though.

He's had a rather unfortunate case of fumblitis in his Detroit career.

That's my only concern.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 8184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 4:06:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I think he's had some injury issues and he's been buried in the depth chart so his stats are very limited. He hasn't had a lot of opportunities to play. (especially the last two seasons)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 11/8/2018 4:11:15 PM >

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 4:24:11 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

If he has any significant contribution on offense that means something negative has happened to our clearly far superior pair of Cook & Murray.

However if he has a positive contribution on ST/ KR I’m good with it.
Post #: 8186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 4:53:57 PM   
Ricky J

Brian Billick @CoachBillick
Following @CoachBillick
More
Norv Turner and Cam Newton are a beautiful match in Carolina...the Playbook crew breaks down the tape!

I would of never thought this could be good ... I'm almost sure I mocked the combination once if not twice..

- good for them!
Post #: 8187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 5:03:53 PM   
kevinemmer

Vikings playoff push rests on Kirk Cousins and the defense

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

Doesn't sound as good as "O-Line, Cousins, and Defense" but it is more appropriate to put O-line 1st (and not omit them).

Let's see, oh yeah, we forgot the skill players on Offense!

As most of us believe, we will go as far as this O-line takes us; Zim appears to have the D coming around to last year's form.

One could also make a case for Zimmer's Game and Clock Management right behind the O-line's performance as a key to playoff success.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 8188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 5:20:14 PM   
David Levine

Roc Thomas returns to Vikings, this time on practice squad
By Chris Miller NOVEMBER 8, 2018 — 5:08PM

Vikings rookie running back Roc Thomas cleared waivers Thursday and was added to the team’s practice squad.

Thomas was waived when the Vikings claimed Detroit running back Ameer Abdullah on Wednesday.

Thomas, a rookie from Jacksonville State, had a strong preseason after signing as an undrafted free agent. He played in five regular season games, gaining 30 yards on eight carries and catching two passes for 21 yards. He also returned one kickoff for 20 yards.

To make room, the Vikings released guard Landon Turner from the practice squad.
Post #: 8189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 5:25:28 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's my only concern.

Had it at Nebraska too. He is when healthy a very elusive & shifty back. Very high quality guy as well.

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 8190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 5:52:29 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's my only concern.

Had it at Nebraska too. He is when healthy a very elusive & shifty back. Very high quality guy as well.

Yeah I certainly didn’t see him as much as you, but I figured it was a good pick for the Lions.

However I’d like to see a steady diet of the White Tiger through the rest of the season, and a deep run through the playoffs.

Post #: 8191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 7:12:34 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Rewatched the game.

On the fumble return for a TD, Wilson sent Stafford flying, even though he was well behind the play. Loved it. You get a QB outside the pocket (like when a QB lines up at WR) give him a good shot.

Izzy didn't have as good of game as I thought in real time. Wonder what his PFF rank for the game was (grain of salt on PFF). Compton might be back and in before we figure him out.

Rhodes needs to get healthy and step up his game.

Offense was pretty close all game even considering Diggs out. Cousins should have pulled down and run at least a couple times. If Robinson had caught the deep pass, that probably would have been game then. Cook needed to just catch the damn ball on that sweep.

Gonna be a long weekend and week till SNF.

I was as surprised as the RB seemed to be when Stafford tossed him the ball. He could have just thrown the ball away,
gone into a slide or run out of bounds. What was he thinking?
Post #: 8192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 7:18:15 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

On Cooks long run, the Safety that finally tackled him with the desperation dive at his heels had about a 10 yard start on him, Cook was outrunning the Safety by about 1 yard every 5 yards.

Looked to me like he was shot out of a cannon.

Murray and Cook are such a nice tandem. I also think our offense is going to continue to improve as the season wears on.

It was great to see such a huge hole for that cannon to shoot through. If our Oline
can continue to improve a little each week I think we'll be OK now that the D seems
to be awakening from their slumber.
Post #: 8193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 8:09:03 PM   
marty

I didn't know Abdullah fumbled so much, that is a big red flag.

I like is shiftiness, but from what you guys said, hope it is limited to special teams.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 8:13:11 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Brian Billick @CoachBillick
Following @CoachBillick
More
Norv Turner and Cam Newton are a beautiful match in Carolina...the Playbook crew breaks down the tape!

I would of never thought this could be good ... I'm almost sure I mocked the combination once if not twice..

- good for them!

Yeah i thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. Getting shellacked by PIT.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 8195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 8:26:26 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

Plus you might be looking at our future LT (and 12M cap savings)

Reiff dead cap

2019... 6.6 ml
2020....4.4 ml
2021....2.2 ml

Reiff isn't going anywhere until maybe 2021. That is the last year of O'Neal's rookie deal

A trade is a possibility.

O'Neal certainly has the ceiling to eventually play LT.

However, if we were to trade Reiff, who would play RT? Hill no thanks.

I don't think we are in any position to trade a good Olineman.

Even if we draft another OT early, he most likely will need some seasoning.

I would prefer to leave our T tandom in place at least through the 19 season.

What we need to do is continue to pick G's and turn that position in to one of strength.

I have posted this many times since the draft. My projection for Oneil is to play RT next year, and then if he becomes the stud I think he can, play LT in 2020. His athletic numbers align with All-pro LTs over the last 20-25 years. Several of those have a history of playing TE and/or starting at RT before moving to LT. If I get the energy I will repost those numbers. Of course this also assumes we have someone ready for RT in 2020. I am not advocating Hill back at RT. BUT we might already have the RT of the future on the roster, Avainte Collins might ready to play RT by then.

It's my speculation and hope, nothing more. We will have to make decisions like this moving forward based to stay out of cap hell. I enjoy predicting, especially during a bye week.

I agree that we need to improve the interior/guards.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 8196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 8:54:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

Rewatched the game.

On the fumble return for a TD, Wilson sent Stafford flying, even though he was well behind the play. Loved it. You get a QB outside the pocket (like when a QB lines up at WR) give him a good shot.

Izzy didn't have as good of game as I thought in real time. Wonder what his PFF rank for the game was (grain of salt on PFF). Compton might be back and in before we figure him out.

Offense was pretty close all game even considering Diggs out. Cousins should have pulled down and run at least a couple times. If Robinson had caught the deep pass, that probably would have been game then. Cook needed to just catch the damn ball on that sweep.

I was as surprised as the RB seemed to be when Stafford tossed him the ball. He could have just thrown the ball away,

He's Matt Stafford.
Post #: 8197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/8/2018 9:54:17 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

Rewatched the game.

He's Matt Stafford.

Excellent point. Perhaps just another brain fart from being beat up by our pass rush?
Post #: 8198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 7:21:59 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

As many times as STafford got hit while holding the football, he Marty’d the Ball away to preserve himself.. running back got Marty’d As well....

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 8199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 8:27:58 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Vikings bring Roc Thomas back to practice squad, waive Landon Turner.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8200
Page:   <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode