Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: stfrank, ratoppenheimer, Bruce Johnson
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 9:40:36 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Roc Thomas returns to Vikings, this time on practice squad
By Chris Miller NOVEMBER 8, 2018 — 5:08PM

Vikings rookie running back Roc Thomas cleared waivers Thursday and was added to the team’s practice squad.

Thomas was waived when the Vikings claimed Detroit running back Ameer Abdullah on Wednesday.

Thomas, a rookie from Jacksonville State, had a strong preseason after signing as an undrafted free agent. He played in five regular season games, gaining 30 yards on eight carries and catching two passes for 21 yards. He also returned one kickoff for 20 yards.

To make room, the Vikings released guard Landon Turner from the practice squad.

Glad to see Landon Turner go. First, I always thought of him not as a guard, but as a power forward or even a center. Second, though our situation at guard is dire, I feel trying to develop a paralyzed player is somewhat cynical. Sure, he's a clear upgrade over Compton, but......
Post #: 8201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 9:55:44 AM   
marty

Daniel, it sounds like you may have had too many concussions. I misrepresent your remark quite well.

But if it makes you feel good to attempt to put me down, I will in this case, think of myself as a therapist

I thought the schedule makes gave the Packers a nice gift of having their bye right before a road game to LA, the Vikings may have gotten a similar gift of a bye before traveling to Chicago. I wouldn't have guessed that at the beginning of the year.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 12:15:28 PM  1 votes
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

Vikings playoff push rests on Kirk Cousins and the defense

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

Doesn't sound as good as "O-Line, Cousins, and Defense" but it is more appropriate to put O-line 1st (and not omit them).

Let's see, oh yeah, we forgot the skill players on Offense!

As most of us believe, we will go as far as this O-line takes us; Zim appears to have the D coming around to last year's form.

One could also make a case for Zimmer's Game and Clock Management right behind the O-line's performance as a key to playoff success.

Is there a website to break down team's tendencies?

The Vikings sure seem to run a lot on second and long. Running on 2nd and long is like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Just feels like loser football.
Post #: 8203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 1:33:55 PM   
bongbong

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

Doesn't sound as good as "O-Line, Cousins, and Defense" but it is more appropriate to put O-line 1st (and not omit them).

As most of us believe, we will go as far as this O-line takes us; Zim appears to have the D coming around to last year's form.

One could also make a case for Zimmer's Game and Clock Management right behind the O-line's performance as a key to playoff success.

The Vikings sure seem to run a lot on second and long. Running on 2nd and long is like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Just feels like loser football.

I agree, but I thinK the Vikes are common in that regard. Off the top of my head I'd guess the outliers to be the Pats, Saints, and maybe Lions? Maybe the Pekkers.
Post #: 8204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 6:46:46 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

From 2nd and 10 to second and 20, The League average is 69% pass. Minnesota is 69% pass. 12 teams pass more

DET:84%
NYG81%
JAC:80%
CIN:77%
GB:76%
NE:75%
PIT:74%
OAK:72%
LA:71%
NO:70%
PHI:70%
TEN:70%

With only 61 plays of 2nd and 10 or more if Minnesota passed at a 75% rate like New England instead of 69%, they would have 3 more pass plays and 3 less runs.
Post #: 8205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 6:52:52 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

“Loser football”, or Loser posting?

Obviously it’s not anything that is out of whack with the rest of the NFL.

However in the Game Day thread you’re welcome to post fatalism posts until you’re tits up blue.
Post #: 8206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 7:12:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hrerikl

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

From 2nd and 10 to second and 20, The League average is 69% pass. Minnesota is 69% pass. 12 teams pass more

DET:84%
NYG81%
JAC:80%
CIN:77%
GB:76%
NE:75%
PIT:74%
OAK:72%
LA:71%
NO:70%
PHI:70%
TEN:70%

With only 61 plays of 2nd and 10 or more if Minnesota passed at a 75% rate like New England instead of 69%, they would have 3 more pass plays and 3 less runs.

Only one team in the top 5 without a losing record.
Post #: 8207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 7:14:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin
ESPN Staff Writer

What do you need a web site for? Say it enough times and you'll start to believe it.
Post #: 8208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 9:51:41 PM  1 votes
ronhextall

Good site.

Interesting that the Vikings run on 2nd and 8 yards or 9 yards more than all but 4 teams in the NFL.

Those are the types of plays I am talking about, not 2nd and 20.

The also run on 3rd and 8 or 9 yards a lot more than most teams in the NFL.

No need to repeat it, its a fact. Thanks for the site that verifies my claim.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 11/9/2018 9:54:20 PM >
Post #: 8209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 11:20:01 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Good site.

Interesting that the Vikings run on 2nd and 8 yards or 9 yards more than all but 4 teams in the NFL.

They also pass more than 29 other teams on 2nd and 6 or 7. Hey this cherry picking stats to 'prove' you're right is fun! Right out of JCs playbook.
Post #: 8210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/9/2018 11:51:54 PM   
JT2

Maybe I'm too old, but I define "long" as 7 or more.

I mean that in every way possible.
Post #: 8211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 12:19:44 AM  1 votes
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Good site.

They also pass more than 29 other teams on 2nd and 6 or 7. Hey this cherry picking stats to 'prove' you're right is fun! Right out of JCs playbook.

I don’t consider 6 or 7 yards long.

Sorry I don’t care for drafting kickers, none of which were worth a shit, when the OL is no good.

That is what this is really about.

I agree with you, Speilman is the best GM ever to only win one playoff game.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 11/10/2018 12:26:19 AM >
Post #: 8212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 1:03:13 AM   
hrerikl

quote:

Good site.

They also pass more than average on 2nd and 10. You have to be careful dropping the sample size too small to be meaningful. At this point you have reduced the sample size so small that the difference between Minnesota and the average rate of passing on 2nd and 8 or 9 is 1 pass every 2.3 games.
Post #: 8213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 1:44:23 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Troll feeders

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 8214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 8:28:10 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A nice video and article about the offense going forward for the season. I like the point about how they evaluate what works and what doesn't. If they see that there's something that they don't do well, they scrap it. If they see something that seems to be working, they will expand upon it.

https://www.vikings.com/video/defilippo-on-where-offense-is-at-cook-s-return-cousins-play-so-far-beebe-s-poten

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/11/9/18062266/vikings-at-the-bye-assessing-the-offense

And I found this interesting in the article:

On the run blocking side, the Vikings rushers are averaging 4.2 yards per carry - 19th in the league. Taking a deeper look into that, about 3 yards of that 4.2 yard average came after contact, meaning the Vikings offensive line only blocked for an average of 1.2 yards per carry. This is not particularly good either. There is no one in particular to blame for the poor run-blocking - nobody gets particularly good grades here. But getting Tom Compton back (who suffered an MCL sprain week 7) would be helpful.

Some of you don't like Tom Compton, but his Pro Football run blocking grade was the best on the team before he went out.

And this was a surprise to me:

But one starting job that remains an on-going concern is at center. Pat Elflien has yet to establish himself as a solid core to the offensive line. He improved from low levels as the season progressed last year, which was understandable as a rookie, before getting injured in post-season. Those injuries caused him to miss pretty much all the off-season and training camp, as well as the first few weeks of the regular season this year. And it shows. He’s performing well below his season averages as a rookie so far this year according to PFF, and continues to earn poor grades pretty much every game. Worse, after peaking in the Jets game week six, he’s been trending downhill. There is little to suggest that he is mastering his technique or making progress in either run or pass blocking - as has been the case with Brian O’Neill. As it stands now, Elflien is the lowest graded player on offense for the Vikings.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 11/10/2018 8:39:46 AM >

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 11:37:49 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Me and this other guy were standing on a bridge over a river whizzing over the edge. The other guy says "Hey, this water is cold". I says, "Yeah, deep too".
Post #: 8216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 12:30:52 PM   
ratoppenheimer

wtf?....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Not that there was a question but MRI confirmed that Dez Bryant tore his Achilles, per source. An expected 8-month recovery.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 12:55:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

wtf?....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Not that there was a question but MRI confirmed that Dez Bryant tore his Achilles, per source. An expected 8-month recovery.

He's done. I mean he was almost done before the achilles.
Post #: 8218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 2:57:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Did he even play in one game?

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 3:02:03 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Seed the article I posted in the Other Nfl news thread yesterday. It was his second or third practice.
Post #: 8220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 4:22:19 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: hrerikl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Seed the article I posted in the Other Nfl news thread yesterday. It was his second or third practice.

Second....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 5:01:17 PM   
BigDig

Great seeing you post Curt!

Yeah, great hanging with you, and your son. You guys know how to pack for a game.

I’d say we simply don’t know what we actually have here. Until we get the whole team intact we may, or may not be what most of us thought we could become.

As easy as it is to feel/ say that we’ll get Cook back along with or entire OLine, and start getting that offense humming when paired with out great wide receivers and Cousins. Just as easily we could continue to inch along with injuries, spotty OLine play, and game killing turnovers.

Same could be said for the defense. Get Barr, and Rhodes back, along with a more well oiled Griffen and the defense takes to flight, or a continued backslide off of last years showing.

Just hope we can get in a groove with our top playmakers available, and see how good we can actually be... Let’s get on a roll right now while getting healthy.
[/quote]

Thanks Kurt! I hope all is well with you and yours! Let's do that again some time, that was a great day (other than the loss). And I can't take all the credit for the pregame goodies, my wife always makes sure we have enough food to feed a small army. I did pack the beer though!

It's great to gather with Vikings fans that share the same passion for all things purple. I don't get to do that to often here in Broncos country. And I really mean it when I say Vikings fans are really the best, most knowledgable fans I've been around. I'm always really impressed with information I pick up on this board, some of you should be Vikings beat writers as you blow away most of the stuff I read elsewhere, keep up the great work guys!

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of JUST ONE BEFORE I DIE!
Post #: 8222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 5:40:40 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

Me and this other guy were standing on a bridge over a river whizzing over the edge. The other guy says "Hey, this water is cold". I says, "Yeah, deep too".

Then I says..."not THAT deep"

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 8223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/10/2018 7:03:21 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

“ and the river bed is full of rocks...”
😝

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 8224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/11/2018 12:42:15 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

“ and the river bed is full of rocks...”
😝

And the molten core sure is hot....
Post #: 8225
Page:   <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode