Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 6:34:36 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Arif Hasan
Rhodes could not wait to answer a question about Holton Hill, who he effusively praised for having an excellent rookie offseason. Said Hill pulled him aside a few times to ask questions.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Vikings like Coley as a potential No. 3 receiver. Rather than risking the chance of aggravating the injury, they're giving him time to rest.

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
#Vikings WR Stacy Coley, who had been rehabbing right heel injury, now being held out of practice today due to a strained groin, according to a source.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 6:53:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings will replace Tony Sparano by making Clancy Barone and Andrew Janocko co-coaches of the offensive line. Barone has been the tight ends coach; Janocko had been the assistant OL coach. Senior offensive assistant Todd Downing will coach tight ends.

Good and expected. Have zero issue with this.

On one hand you have a very young coach who was an assistant just a few days ago, and then on the other hand you have a veteran coach who coached offensive line for seventeen years at seven different colleges, coached offensive line for a Super Bowl champion and also tight ends numerous times. Check out his resume below.

They are called co- offensive line coaches, but do you really believe that is the case? If there are any issues of disagreement, who do you think will win out? If Zimmer is bleeped out mad at the offensive line, who do you think will be most accountable. Of course it's the veteran coach.

Nevertheless, I believe that Zimmer and the organization really like Janocko and see him as an up and coming assistant coach and trust him with the extra responsibilities- well to only an extent, because they want the veteran coach by his side. This is a big year with high expectations. They want to leave no stones left un-turned. The offensive line was arguably the biggest concern for the upcoming season before the passing of Sporano. Sporano was clearly one of the most respected and relied upon assistant coach on the staff and it would be asking too much to just ask the assistant to take over, regardless of how promising and energetic he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clancy_Barone

Edit: I just found this article. Check out the picture and I think you will appreciate what I was saying about who the real offensive line coach is.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/28/vikings-name-clancy-barone-andrew-janocko-co-offensive-line-coaches/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/28/2018 7:04:29 PM >

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 6:59:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This answers my question that I offered to Wobby (that he didn't respond to). I'm happy if this indeed is what will happen.

The Vikings are expected to place less of a burden on Griffen and all their starting defensive linemen. General manager Rick Spielman had said in March the Vikings expected to rotate linemen more, and that’s fine with Griffen.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/28/healthy-or-not-vikings-seek-to-reduce-de-everson-griffens-number-of-snaps/

Post #: 103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 7:41:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Badet ran a 4.27 in his pro day. He wants to show the vets his speed. Says he hears Waynes is fast, Badet wants to show people his speed.

That's damn fast.

If he can catch and run routes we may something in this kid.

Maybe even in a CPatt type role.

Speed kills.

4.27 is ridiculous fast. Top few in the NFL fast. Does the speed translate to the game of football. Can he catch the ball and run routes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 8:31:45 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Badet ran a 4.27 in his pro day. He wants to show the vets his speed. Says he hears Waynes is fast, Badet wants to show people his speed.

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

4.27 is ridiculous fast. Top few in the NFL fast. Does the speed translate to the game of football. Can he catch the ball and run routes.

My guess is hes marginal at all that. When a WR runs a 4.2 anything and doesn't get drafted, it probably means he isnt very good, at least professionally.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 8:44:13 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

My guess is hes marginal at all that. When a WR runs a 4.2 anything and doesn't get drafted, it probably means he isnt very good, at least professionally.

He's a guy that spends time on the practice squad to see if he can become a pro. Some guys have ability, just not the brains or desire for it. Guys like Diggs and Thieland are not the norm, they are the exception, the more of those guys you can find, obviously the better off you will be. Badet needs to prove he deserves a spot on the PS, if they think he's got the heart and desire to put the time in to learn the craft, they will keep him, if not, no big deal. Steve Largent proved you dont need to have speed to be a HOF receiver. Learn the craft, have patience, all the great pros had to do this!
Post #: 106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 8:53:44 PM   
JT2

I love it when non-combine numbers are compared, trusted and awed about.

Badet is very athletic, and fast. I'd bet the farm he wouldn't have broken 4.3 at the combine that matters. In fact, I'm not certain he would have broke 4.4. Pro Day's are notoriously unreliable on 40 times.

Jacoby Ford, ran a NFL Combine 4.28, and he doubled Badet's production in college. As college Seniors, Ford was much more polished than Badet.

Ford faded quick.

I would be shocked if Badet even plays 3 seasons in the NFL.
Post #: 107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 8:59:41 PM   
Ian Joseph

Maybe if Al Davis was still living, Badet could have been his latest fast toy.

Believe.
Post #: 108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 10:04:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

I don't know if he ever did kickoff returns, but I would think you would have to give him a shot at winning that job.

Post #: 109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 10:19:41 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

I don't know if he ever did kickoff returns, but I would think you would have to give him a shot at winning that job.

Badet returned a total of 30 Kicks at Kentucky and Oklahoma. Average at best.

The NFL KR game has been neutralized to the point where it really shouldn't even factor in roster decisions.
Post #: 110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 10:26:34 PM   
Ian Joseph

If Badet doesn't serve during his extended playing time in preseason game 1, we shouldnt waste our time talking about him anymore. Hes got two weeks.

Believe.
Post #: 111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/28/2018 10:29:52 PM   
JT2

quote:

If Badet doesn't serve during his extended playing time in preseason game 1, we shouldnt waste our time talking about him anymore. Hes got two weeks.

I'm much more interested, and concerned, about Coley. I really think he has serious potential. Unfortunately, even minor injuries can kill careers of NFL hopefuls.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 7/28/2018 11:12:15 PM >
Post #: 112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 1:56:33 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

Yep.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 1:58:12 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

Hughes was probably the best KO guy in all of College football last year and one of the best PR guys also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 6:53:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's damn fast.

Speed kills.

Hughes was probably the best KO guy in all of College football last year and one of the best PR guys also.

Yes. I know. Still it's good to have a competition. Make them earn their job. That's what's fun about training camp- to see the new players.

As far as whether Badet or any other undrafted free agent or new player will make the team or not, let's just wait and see what we have and then go from there. That's why I liken this to Christmas. We are opening the presents and seeing what we got. We have to give the players a chance to show up in camp whether they were drafted highly or not. Of course the odds are long for any undrafted free agent, but some of them may make the practice squad, which is bigger than it used to be, and then eventually see the field. That happens every year to some players around the league.

Post #: 115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 7:22:55 AM   
Bruce Johnson

More skinny notes from yesterday's practice. I expect them to be more substantial tomorrow.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/7/28/17625348/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-news-notes

Post #: 116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 7:29:04 AM   
Bruce Johnson

King looks like a player if you watch this until the end.

https://www.vikings.com/video/training-camp-highlights-july-28

Post #: 117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 8:27:58 AM   
Mark Anderson

I'm guessing DE Aruna is going to be one of those guys you don't try to get through waivers. You will have to keep him on the 53.

Can we keep Aruna and Bowers and still hang on to Robison?
Post #: 118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 8:51:14 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

I'm much more interested, and concerned, about Coley. I really think he has serious potential. Unfortunately, even minor injuries can kill careers of NFL hopefuls.

The only thing missing from Badet is he doesn’t have Todd Lowber’s height.

Even Running sub 4.0 flat doesn’t do you much good if you can’t actually play football.

We’ll see..

Pete I agree on Coley. I’d think he (Coley) and his agent thought when they came to the Vikings there’d be a lot of opportunity with (at that time) a less then stellar WR room. Hell so did I, but boy have times changed.
Post #: 119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 8:59:47 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

I'm guessing DE Aruna is going to be one of those guys you don't try to get through waivers. You will have to keep him on the 53.

Can we keep Aruna and Bowers and still hang on to Robison?

Aruna should be a good ST's player to justify keeping him on the 53 man roster.

Agree that I don't think we should expose him to waivers

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 9:50:39 AM   
kurt bilben

Holy crap, not sure I remember this much raving about a rookie defender after OTA’s and a few training camp practices in quite some time.

The Mike Hughes love fest.

Xavier, and Thielen gushing about the guy. I don’t remember much positive about Tre Waynes at the same point (And probably for good reason).

Call me crazy, but if we just drafted the next coming of Darrell Green, while passing on a position of need (OLine) I’ll officially be on board with it....
Post #: 121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 10:37:15 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Holy crap, not sure I remember this much raving about a rookie defender after OTA’s and a few training camp practices in quite some time.

The Mike Hughes love fest.

Xavier, and Thielen gushing about the guy. I don’t remember much positive about Tre Waynes at the same point (And probably for good reason).

Call me crazy, but if we just drafted the next coming of Darrell Green, while passing on a position of need (OLine) I’ll officially be on board with it....

Me too. But that's a big, low probability "if". I'd still prefer best O-line available at that spot. Wonder what Brad H would say about that pick, given his long-term preference for corners but recent infatuation with O-lineman.
Post #: 122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 10:51:09 AM   
kurt bilben

1st team OLine this morning-

Reiff
Isidora
Easton
Remmers
Hill
Post #: 123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 10:53:47 AM   
Pager

Mac continues to get the majority of first team reps at slot. Rhodes also gushed about H Hill.

Does Harris push for a starting job?

This secondary group could be

< Message edited by Pager -- 7/29/2018 10:56:39 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/29/2018 11:23:17 AM   
kurt bilben

Watching Michael Robinson & Steve Smith whine about all the pressure on Kirk Cousins, and how they should have kept Case Keenum is already tiresome.

Acting like we wouldn’t have had to give Keenum a huge pay raise as well, is pretty irritating.

“When you pay Kirk Cousins $84mil you expect Tom Brady, Drew Brees type of play”

How stupid can you be? In two years Cousins will be in the 8-10 range as far as highest paid QB’s. It is the business...
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode