Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other Games 2018-19

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Other Games 2018-19 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 8:47:47 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

GB left tackle is guilty of false start nearly every pass play

Yep good call

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 251
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 8:51:02 PM   
Pager

rodgers can't outrun Dline anymore

LOVE IT

Post #: 252
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:03:00 PM   
thebigo

P U got 2 lighten up on the acronyms.
Post #: 253
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:06:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Brees went down on a slide, untouched, and then fumbled the ball. A Rams' player grabbed the ball.

Is that a fumble ? I honestly don't know the rules on that.

Maybe the Rams will have to deal with officials being against them with having Suh on their team. We'll see what the refs do [and don't do] in the 4th quarter.

Ground can't cause a fumble

Not true.
Post #: 254
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:08:26 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Michael Thomas with 10 rec on 12 targets for 121 yards in 3 qtrs

He's eating Marcus overrated Peters lunch

How did he do last week against our UDFA rookie?
Post #: 255
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:18:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hrerikl

quote:

quote:

Brees went down on a slide, untouched, and then fumbled the ball. A Rams' player grabbed the ball.

Maybe the Rams will have to deal with officials being against them with having Suh on their team. We'll see what the refs do [and don't do] in the 4th quarter.

Yes it can if your not touched. The ground has caused several fumbles. I think in this case though, it is a new point of emphasis this year that if a Quarterback slides head first he is considered giving himself up. He doesn't have to slide feet first anymore. And as soon as he gives himself up the play is over. If he tripped over his own feet (not a slide) and went to the ground, the ground could cause a fumble. I think that would have been a fumble last year when a head first slide was not considered giving your self up.

What really bothers me, is that as soon as a QB "gives himself up" then the ball should be marked down right at that spot. So even though you can't actually hit the QB at that point, the QBs sliding ahead continues to gain forward yardage. It's ridiculous. Soon they will be training QBs in the art of broad jumping which will give an extra 5 yards or so once they initialize their "slide"
Post #: 256
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:27:02 PM   
Pager

white inside run? not seeing it

Post #: 257
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:27:51 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

white inside run? not seeing it

yep they go patterson.

he's so tall, all he had to is fall foward

Post #: 258
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:34:41 PM   
Pager

Huge 1st and goal from the 1 stop

Post #: 259
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 9:42:34 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes it can if your not touched. The ground has caused several fumbles. I think in this case though, it is a new point of emphasis this year that if a Quarterback slides head first he is considered giving himself up. He doesn't have to slide feet first anymore. And as soon as he gives himself up the play is over. If he tripped over his own feet (not a slide) and went to the ground, the ground could cause a fumble. I think that would have been a fumble last year when a head first slide was not considered giving your self up.

What really bothers me, is that as soon as a QB "gives himself up" then the ball should be marked down right at that spot. So even though you can't actually hit the QB at that point, the QBs sliding ahead continues to gain forward yardage. It's ridiculous. Soon they will be training QBs in the art of broad jumping which will give an extra 5 yards or so once they initialize their "slide"

Ball is supposed to go back to where he starts his slide. Doesn't seem to work that way.
Post #: 260
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 10:10:38 PM   
Pager

Patriots offense looking pretty bad (relative) in the second half (not scoring from 1 yard line adds to that perception)

Then they have a well designed gadet play that is probably going to be the difference in the game.

Genus level coaching. Genus.

When Brady retires, could we trade for Billichick (assuming we haven't won a Superbowl by then)? I'd give up two first rounders.

I would love to see what he does with this roster.

Post #: 261
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 10:14:40 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

Patriots offense looking pretty bad (relative) in the second half (not scoring from 1 yard line adds to that perception)

Then they have a well designed gadet play that is probably going to be the difference in the game.

When Brady retires, could we trade for Billichick (assuming we haven't won a Superbowl by then)? I'd give up two first rounders.

That might even be Phylum level coaching. Well designed play to Gordon too.

Edit: Were you referring to the throw back screen or the fake screen slant to Gordon?

< Message edited by hrerikl -- 11/4/2018 10:16:24 PM >
Post #: 262
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 10:21:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ball is supposed to go back to where he starts his slide. Doesn't seem to work that way.

Basically you would never know that is the rule. I can't imagine that is the rule the way they call it. Consistently.
Post #: 263
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 10:28:45 PM   
hrerikl

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Basically you would never know that is the rule. I can't imagine that is the rule the way they call it. Consistently.

Clarification: It is where he first touches the ground. So in your broad jump scenario it gets a little silly.

I was wrong. Apparently "Starts his slide" means makes first contact with the ground. Even with that as the rule the spots often seem generous.

quote:

If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.

You can imagine a Quarterback "giving themselves up" for a Touchdown.

< Message edited by hrerikl -- 11/4/2018 10:34:12 PM >
Post #: 264
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 10:30:28 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

That might even be Phylum level coaching. Well designed play to Gordon too.

Edit: Were you referring to the throw back screen or the fake screen slant to Gordon?

King Phillip?

Throw back screen. Game turned on that play. Fake Screen Slant was a great call, better execution (by Brady)

Post #: 265
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 11:37:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Clarification: It is where he first touches the ground. So in your broad jump scenario it gets a little silly.

I was wrong. Apparently "Starts his slide" means makes first contact with the ground. Even with that as the rule the spots often seem generous.

quote:

If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.

You can imagine a Quarterback "giving themselves up" for a Touchdown.

IOWs my broad jump theory makes perfect sense. Once you've given yourself up, you can launch yourself through the air and be given forward progress to the point where your first body part lands. The Bob Beamon offense would have been unstoppable. The next big joke in the NFL rulebook is the "incidental leg contact" when a defender trips up an offensive player mid route.

Clearly the rule should be the ball is dead at the spot where the player first turtles up.
Post #: 266
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/4/2018 11:52:17 PM   
marty

Levels of QB:

1) Brady, Rodgers
2) Brees, Big Ben, Wilson
3) Rivers, Cousins, Flacco
4) Who cares

Cousins is not in the 1st 2 categories, because he needs to improve on faking the defense out, and winning in more ways in the red zone. He is at times, a tad too aggressive, needs to sometimes take a sack or throw it away. Make quicker, right decisions in the red zone.

Cousins is very close, and I hope with Defillipo's help, he'll move into the next higher tier, get more early leads, blow more teams out, and be successful in the playoffs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 267
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/6/2018 8:06:55 AM   
SoMnFan

The world is a better place when the Cowboys suck.

Mariota and the GASP! Titans with some very clever play-calling last night
We simply HAVE to start being more creative.
Some of these latest red zone calls to get into the end zone are refreshing ... and give you hope that creativity isn't dead.
Post #: 268
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/6/2018 11:57:01 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Thought it was funny they were calling out Linehan for running on 1st down more than any team and being predictable.

CAN LINEHAN!!!!

GO VIKES!
Post #: 269
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/8/2018 8:43:25 PM   
Pager

how is that not a leading with the helmet penalty on Wyatt on his sack on Newton with about 130 left?

Post #: 270
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/8/2018 9:34:01 PM   
Pager

Good god PIT just crushing CAR. Their TEs are athletic, breaking tackles, 3 TD between em (I think). Great offensive play calling.

A little bit jealous.

Post #: 271
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/9/2018 8:54:22 AM   
SoMnFan

If it wasn't for NE's other-worldly consistency, Pitt would get a lot of love.
Always relevant it seems.
Never an easy out. I've always liked Tomlin. We've had some pretty awesome assistants come thru here.
Post #: 272
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/9/2018 9:33:58 AM   
Trekgeekscott

One thing about last night's game. Up 45-14 They kick off and the Carolina Returner fumbles, Steelers recover. Did they get all conservative like? NO. they went for the throat and scored again. I want this mentality on my team I don't want our team to get all conservative when we have a good lead. Keep pushing to score. I'm not saying go for it on 4th Down or onside kick or go for two point conversions....No Just don't take the foot off the gas pedal.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 273
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/9/2018 8:21:39 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

One thing about last night's game. Up 45-14 They kick off and the Carolina Returner fumbles, Steelers recover. Did they get all conservative like? NO. they went for the throat and scored again. I want this mentality on my team I don't want our team to get all conservative when we have a good lead. Keep pushing to score. I'm not saying go for it on 4th Down or onside kick or go for two point conversions....No Just don't take the foot off the gas pedal.

Couldn't agree more. It's why I posted I was jealous

Post #: 274
RE: Other Games 2018-19 - 11/9/2018 8:45:59 PM   
David F.

quote:

Levels of QB:

1) Brady, Rodgers
2) Brees, Big Ben, Wilson
3) Rivers, Cousins, Flacco
4) Who cares

Cousins is not in the 1st 2 categories, because he needs to improve on faking the defense out, and winning in more ways in the red zone. He is at times, a tad too aggressive, needs to sometimes take a sack or throw it away. Make quicker, right decisions in the red zone.

Cousins is very close, and I hope with Defillipo's help, he'll move into the next higher tier, get more early leads, blow more teams out, and be successful in the playoffs.

Flacco is not in tier 3. He won a Super Bowl with a killer defense and that's all that's ever happened. Honestly he is mediocre.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Other Games 2018-19 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode