Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/13/2019 12:35:22 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I would kill to have the team the Lightning put together

Love them and the Sharks
That would be my dream Finals
Two completely differently-structured teams and philosophies.
Post #: 951
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/13/2019 1:27:03 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Corleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

A long, but great read from Russo about Tom Kurvers....

Diagnosed with lung cancer, Wild’s Tom Kurvers prepares for his toughest battle

Thanks for posting this, Frank....this one especially hits home for me.

Grew up (mostly) in Duluth and those early 80's UMD teams were just flat out awesome (should've won a couple nattys in '84 and '85, but that's a grievance for another time). My family had season tickets right behind the Bulldogs bench during that time period so we were up close and personal for all of it, and I've gotten to meet a bunch of guys from those teams over the years...but none in a more random or cooler way than how I met Tom Kurvers (and simultaneously, Norm MacIver):

Last April, the Frozen Four is in town. I had attended UMD's Thursday semifinal win over Ohio State, and afterwards had secured a few prime ducats (courtesy of a bitter Buckeye fan ) for the Saturday final vs. Notre Dame. A few of my Duluth peeps came down to attend the game with me, and I dragged them to my usual pre-game spot downtown (Pazzaluna) beforehand. We're hanging at the bar having a few beers, and I take my coat off to reveal an old 80's-style UMD jersey with MacIver's name/number 5 on the back.

A couple minutes go by and someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around and one it's one of the servers, who motions to a table back behind her by the window and says, "those guys want to talk to you". We all look over and it's two guys, both wearing UMD jackets, who look "familiar" but I/we don't immediately recognize them. So I somewhat hesitantly walk over...

Me: "Hey guys, what's up?"

Guy (with a bit of a shit-eating grin): "All ready for the game?"

Me: "Absolutely! I take it you guys are going as well?"

G(WABOAS-EG): "Wouldn't miss it. Just curious where you got that jersey..."

Me: "Won it in a raffle when I was a kid. Wore it to the game in 2011 so had to wear it tonight too."

G(WABOAS-EG): "Nice." (Long pause) "Thought we should introduce ourselves...I'm Tom Kurvers, and this is Norm MacIver."

Had a nice chat with them both for about 10 minutes. Apparently they had group texted a bunch of the former teammates a picture of the back of the jersey while I was standing at the bar and had been having a good chuckle about the randomness of it...since it's not like there are/were a bunch of MacIver jerseys walking around in the world. Got a picture taken with them and put it on my Facebook page before the game started with the caption "good juju"...and needless to say, the jersey is now 2-0 at the Frozen Four.

It wasn't too long after that when Kurvers was named the Wild's new asst. GM to Fenton. Really hope he's able to pull through this...

Cancer sucks.

NICE! Thanks for sharing.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 952
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/13/2019 1:29:03 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Will a mn professional sports franchise other than the Lynx ever be highly competitive again, EVER?

When hell freezes over... so should be happening soon!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 953
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/13/2019 3:33:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Sharks/Lightning finals would be fun.
Post #: 954
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/13/2019 3:38:38 PM   
stfrank

quote:

Hell yeah!
Post #: 955
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/14/2019 11:51:15 AM   
SoMnFan

HERE'S where people sometimes miss the boat.
MN teams get WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much slack when it comes to expectations.
Look at Calgary. Not a powerhouse by any means, but they expect good hockey out of their team.
Been overachieving for the most part, and enjoying the season. Probably a top ten team, after not being one for quite awhile.
Are they satisfied?
Are they happy with what has happened so far?
Yeah, kinda ... BUT
right now they are ready to burn down the city and the rink, because they are starting to show some freefall.
And its only been 3-4-5 games.
Here's my point ..... they are really really upset with a couple of their best players. Know why?
BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T SCORED IN 3-4-5 GAMES.
Fans and media start asking about guys here .... after 40 GAMES OF NOTHING.
Stop being so GD patient. Its not working.
Not scoring in 40 isn't a slump, it means you SUCK.
Looking at you, Granny, Zucker, Coyle, and now the guys who normally have held us together.
Getting more production from Spurgeon isn't what we need, we need more production from the guys getting paid to produce POINTS.
Jeff used to print in here all the time, just how ridiculous our production numbers are, comparatively.
We have no one that sniffs the top 50 scoring lists.
You cannot win in today's NHL with a team full of slugs.
Post #: 956
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/14/2019 11:51:32 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Hell yeah!

To me any finals that doesn't include the Wild I'm not interested.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 957
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/14/2019 12:18:43 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

HERE'S where people sometimes miss the boat.
MN teams get WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much slack when it comes to expectations.
Look at Calgary. Not a powerhouse by any means, but they expect good hockey out of their team.
Been overachieving for the most part, and enjoying the season. Probably a top ten team, after not being one for quite awhile.
Are they satisfied?
Are they happy with what has happened so far?
Yeah, kinda ... BUT
right now they are ready to burn down the city and the rink, because they are starting to show some freefall.
And its only been 3-4-5 games.
Here's my point ..... they are really really upset with a couple of their best players. Know why?
BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T SCORED IN 3-4-5 GAMES.
Fans and media start asking about guys here .... after 40 GAMES OF NOTHING.
Stop being so GD patient. Its not working.
Not scoring in 40 isn't a slump, it means you SUCK.
Looking at you, Granny, Zucker, Coyle, and now the guys who normally have held us together.
Getting more production from Spurgeon isn't what we need, we need more production from the guys getting paid to produce POINTS.
Jeff used to print in here all the time, just how ridiculous our production numbers are, comparatively.
We have no one that sniffs the top 50 scoring lists.
You cannot win in today's NHL with a team full of slugs.

Well said and i'll do it again. Parise@57 and there are 4 DMEN ahead of him
Post #: 958
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/14/2019 4:42:35 PM   
stfrank

I tidbit from Russo for SoMn regarding possible trade talks.

— Jared Spurgeon: He turns 30 in November and has one year left at $5.187 million, but if he’s traded, season over. In fact, disband the franchise!!!

More tidbits........

Boudreau reiterated that he plans to ride goalie Devan Dubnyk.

“We have to go with our best. He’s our best,” Boudreau said. “We don’t have a 16-point cushion right now. He’s got to be at his best just like the other players have to be at their best if we want to succeed, and I believe they will be.”

< Message edited by stfrank -- 2/14/2019 6:19:46 PM >
Post #: 959
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 7:28:21 AM   
SoMnFan

Everyone freaking out about BB's declaration that the Wild WILL make the playoffs ....
Ummmm, whats he supposed to say?

It's akin to the guy walking to the gallows, and mumbling ... "I wonder what's for breakfast tomorrow?"
Post #: 960
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 8:37:02 AM   
TJSweens

I just rolled my eyes at that proclamation from BB. What sent me to world is him declaring that he was going with NTG every game because at this point you have to go with your best.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 961
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 8:55:28 AM   
stfrank

I understand he has to show his team that he has their back, but that Duby thing made me cringe and roll my eyes as well.
I'm ready for a rebuild to start now, not later. Granted we are stuck with Suter and Parise for years to come as they get older and slower, but the rest of the core needs to go. Get younger and stockpile draft picks, I don't care, just do it.
Post #: 962
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 1:06:20 PM   
SoMnFan

Get Bobrovski and Panarin
Change the culture without blowing it all up.
Could be done ... if they stop this ridiculous Dubnyk-love-at-all-costs
Post #: 963
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 2:07:04 PM   
SoMnFan

That's wild

One final note on the Minnesota Wild, who are currently holding on to one of the wild-card spots and should emerge from the group if only by process of elimination. While their underlying numbers have been solid throughout, it's worth noting that they've also been one of the healthiest teams in the league this season. Aside from the big blow of losing Matt Dumba, they hadn't really lost a key contributor for an extended period of time prior to Mikko Koivu's season-ending injury.

That one will really sting, because he's somewhat quietly been one of the league's most dominant defensive forwards for some time. While Minnesota actually has good internal depth at the center position and will presumably rely on the 1-2 punch of Mikael Granlund and Eric Staal to do the majority of the heavy lifting, neither of them can fully cover what Koivu brought to the table.

Fallout of the Minnesota-Carolina trade

Nino Niederreiter/Victor Rask

Games 11 10
Ice time/game 18:13 12:11
Goals 6 1
Assists 4 1
Shot attempts 65 22
Shots on goal 42 12
High-danger chances 26 1

One of the rationales behind sending Nino Niederreiter out of town in exchange for Victor Rask a couple of weeks ago was that the latter provided some added utility in the middle. At the time, the deal didn't pass the smell test for Minnesota, and it certainly has only aged more poorly with each passing day. Niederreiter has unsurprisingly thrived in his new home, riding shotgun with Sebastian Aho. Much as he did in his time with the Wild, he's been a beast generating shots and has been a force to be reckoned with around the net. Meanwhile, Rask is not only playing on the fourth line at the moment, but has actually been bumped off to the wing to further pour salt on the wound.

Ouch. That's a bad beat for Minnesota, who could certainly use Niederreiter's strong 5-on-5 play on both ends of the puck more than ever right about now
Post #: 964
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 2:12:46 PM   
TJSweens

And if Nada had scored 6 goals in any 11 game stretch this year for us, he would still be on the roster. Rask has been garbage, but we all know that at some point Carolina will be a assembling a search team to look for Nada during games.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 965
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/15/2019 10:20:40 PM   
Corleone

That has to be the final straw, doesn’t it?
Post #: 966
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 6:52:30 AM   
stfrank

Well at least Stalock might see some action in net, other than that I doubt we see much changing. After all, we are just a tweak away.............
Post #: 967
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 8:44:48 AM   
stfrank

Russo's headline this morning says it all:

A hard night of soft goals: Wild find another way to lose a hockey game

Post #: 968
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 8:54:35 AM   
stfrank

When Hunt, a 4th pair defense, playing wing on his off hand side to boot, looks better than half of your wings there is a huge problem.
Take your pick, other than Foligno-Ek-Kunin we have nothing worth keeping up front.
Sunday's game will be interesting to see who is in the goal.
Post #: 969
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 9:22:24 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

When Hunt, a 4th pair defense, playing wing on his off hand side to boot, looks better than half of your wings there is a huge problem.
Take your pick, other than Foligno-Ek-Kunin we have nothing worth keeping up front.
Sunday's game will be interesting to see who is in the goal.

BB is nothing if not stubborn; Hunt benched when it's obvious he has scoring talent, 2 pts last night in his 1st 3.5 minutes of time, still used sparingly.

NTG- Nuff said.

PS
Coyle cannot be traded quickly enough for me.

So frustrating.

< Message edited by kevinemmer -- 2/16/2019 9:23:57 AM >

O-Line or bust.
Fix it Spielman!!
Post #: 970
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 9:27:17 AM   
MDK

You wonder if the team isn't on the take to lose games like this.
Thought they had the win when I went to bed.

The Mauer era is over. The Mauer haters are happy. The Mauer lovers are sad. And those in the middle........Que Será, Será

MARA!!!!! Buy your rakes now and get to work.
Post #: 971
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 10:40:48 AM   
TJSweens

Come on BB. Tell us again how Dubnyk is our guy. How he is the best we got and we have to go with our best. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You sir are bat shit insane.

My plea to Paul Fenton is to make NTG available in the expansion draft. Maybe Seattle will be dumb enough to take him off our hands.

Post #: 972
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 1:17:28 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Come on BB. Tell us again how Dubnyk is our guy. How he is the best we got and we have to go with our best. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You sir are bat shit insane.

My plea to Paul Fenton is to make NTG available in the expansion draft. Maybe Seattle will be dumb enough to take him off our hands.

Then what?

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 973
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/16/2019 2:05:53 PM   
TJSweens

Play Stalock and look for another option. Not that hard to think through Matty

Post #: 974
RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season - 2/17/2019 2:39:30 PM   
twinsfan

These guys are an embarrassment not only to Minnesota, but to hockey players everywhere. Blow this ridiculous assembly of players up...and to the moon.

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2018/2019 Season Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode