From: Las Vegas
ORIGINAL: Matt Lang
I don’t know if anybody could be as bad as Thibs
Anyone but Thibs at this point.
I'm so sick of him being an ogre on the sideline and sapping all the joy out of the team. Yes, winning is the most important thing, but I want to enjoy the games, not just the final score. I also like it when players appear to actually like playing together. This is a coach who actually got a T last year for yelling too much AT HIS OWN PLAYER. And then there is the double-standard. Last night Okogie is playing well and then he travels. Thibs lets out a really loud expletive, yells at Josh, yanks him from the game and pulls Rose off the bench to replace him (we was not about to check in before the stop in play). A few plays later, Rose travels, and not a peep out of Thibs. No wonder there is such a divide in the locker room.
His offense is an absolute mess.
I don't give a shit if we were the #4 offense, it was all built on a house of cards:
1. We played our starters WAY more than any other team. If you play your best players more than others, you should score more. You're also going to wear them down/out.
2. A big part of our offense being good was how little we turned it over. But that's because we barely passed the ball. It made us work harder than we needed to on most possessions, and when we did score it was more from special talent than scheme.
3. We also overcommited to offensive rebounding. It gets you a few extra possessions, but it absolutely kills your defense - especially in transition. Its a huge net loss. So much so that some teams have almost stopped going for offensive boards unless they have a player in the paint when the shot goes up.
Too much ISO, too much hero ball, and KAT was usually an afterthought.
1. We have a PG that can't throw an entry pass to save his life.
2. We have/had a superstar that won't pass to our best offensive player. In crunch time last year (5 minutes or less left in a game that is within 5 points), Butler had 1 assist to KAT the entire season.
3. KAT is a legit Top 5 offensive player in the league if you don't believe that, read this:
And our defense was worse.
1. We're still running an archaic defense designed to give a big an open look from range. That was a great strategy when very few bigs could shoot. Now every team has multiple bigs that are 3 point threats. Thibs defense has morphed from one that made you shoot a shot you didn't want into one that allow syou to take the shot you most want.
2. We don't switch. In a league that basically is full of interchangeable players on offense, not switching things makes everybody's job so much harder.
3. We play like we've never seen a pick & roll before. No one ever picks up the roll man - I guess because they're so busy sticking to their own guy, they just let him have a free run to the hoop for easy baskets.