Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 8:31:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

So are we happy? I don’t know whether to be happy. Someone tell me how to feel.

Don't worry. Be Happy.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2551
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 8:35:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I'll reserve judgment. This was definitely not a move that made me want to finally throw in the towel. I liked the vibe from Langdon, but with any of these guys it's hard to know what their real impact was with other organizations. They were the right hand men of the people of actually called the shots.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2552
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 10:00:12 AM   
Steve Lentz

It's a good move. It's not what I expected, but he was one of two choices I would've been happy with.
I'm feeling good about it.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2553
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 11:16:07 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I'll reserve judgment. This was definitely not a move that made me want to finally throw in the towel. I liked the vibe from Langdon, but with any of these guys it's hard to know what their real impact was with other organizations. They were the right hand men of the people of actually called the shots.
[/quote\
The top 3 front offices is West, Rockets and Spurs. He has been around long enough to know the ropes. He can bring in his guys and can run the organization as he see fit. His biggest area is the draft and managing our cap and free agent signings.
Post #: 2554
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 11:59:03 AM   
Karl Juhnke

It's the same organization that made the most baffling president hire of all time, David Kahn. So I guess I'm happy this hire does not appear to approach that level. Otherwise we'll see.

C’mon man
Post #: 2555
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 1:15:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

I really like what the CEO is doing...Cassan. He seems to be a good hire. Has been involved in the Thibs firing and new President Hire.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2556
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 4:32:51 PM   
David Levine

The Task at Hand for Gersson Rosas and His Minnesota Timberwolves
By Dane Moore - May 2, 2019

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/the-task-at-hand-for-gersson-rosas-and-his-minnesota-timberwolves/
Post #: 2557
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/2/2019 4:51:25 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/the-task-at-hand-for-gersson-rosas-and-his-minnesota-timberwolves/

I love these lines at the end of that article.

If Rosas deems Saunders is a demonstrably worse coach than, say, Dave Joerger, Rosas has to make a move.

If Rosas feels Jones or Rose pale in comparison at point guard, Rosas has to draft or sign a different guard and let Jones and Rose walk.

If Rosas believes Wiggins’ presence greatly hinders the progression of Towns, he has to canvas the league and pay the penance to move Wiggins immediately.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2558
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/3/2019 5:25:23 PM   
twinsfan

Hey, at least we know DL had bad intel. So much for "it will be Booth."

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 2559
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/3/2019 9:59:19 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Hey, at least we know DL had bad intel. So much for "it will be Booth."

Since you 'quoted' him, do you mind providing that actual quote?

I'm going to guess that it doesn't exist.
Post #: 2560
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/4/2019 7:51:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

If Rosas deems Saunders is a demonstrably worse coach than, say, Dave Joerger, Rosas has to make a move.

If Rosas feels Jones or Rose pale in comparison at point guard, Rosas has to draft or sign a different guard and let Jones and Rose walk.

If Rosas believes Wiggins’ presence greatly hinders the progression of Towns, he has to canvas the league and pay the penance to move Wiggins immediately.

Let's hope Glen didn't hire Rosas with strings attached.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2561
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/4/2019 8:51:16 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Let's hope Glen didn't hire Rosas with strings attached.

Rosas resign from Dallas because of strings. He is not going to leave the Rockets to have strings attached. He will communicate with the people involved, but the ultimate decision is his.
Post #: 2562
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 10:28:53 AM   
David Levine

One-On-One with Gersson Rosas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raDgz_grTk
Post #: 2563
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 11:51:34 AM   
TJSweens

The Startribune poll shows 66% currently favor keeping Ryan Saunders as the coach. Baaaaa Baaaaa Baaaaa Baaaaa the sheople have spoken.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2564
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 12:04:52 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

The Startribune poll shows 66% currently favor keeping Ryan Saunders as the coach. Baaaaa Baaaaa Baaaaa Baaaaa the sheople have spoken.

It's going to be the decision of POBO and not the fans. But, at the same time, The new POBO has to realize that Ryan has fan support and with good assistants, Saunders might become good. Saunders understands the modern game and is good with communications. A good shooting coach, conditioning coach and a good big man's coach would help out a ton.
Post #: 2565
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 12:15:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

It's going to be the decision of POBO and not the fans. But, at the same time, The new POBO has to realize that Ryan has fan support and with good assistants, Saunders might become good. Saunders understands the modern game and is good with communications. A good shooting coach, conditioning coach and a good big man's coach would help out a ton.

Does he?

He's worked for Tubby Smith, Flip Saunders, Randy Wittman, Sam Mitchell and Thibs. Not a "modern" coach in the bunch.

And I didn't see anything from his offense or defense that suggested otherwise.

If we keep him, it sounds like Rosas might force him into the modern world, so that's kind of a positive.
Post #: 2566
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 12:37:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

He's worked for Tubby Smith, Flip Saunders, Randy Wittman, Sam Mitchell and Thibs. Not a "modern" coach in the bunch.

If we keep him, it sounds like Rosas might force him into the modern world, so that's kind of a positive.

We have heard that Ryan is big on analytics, but we never saw anything in the teams performance under him to indicate that was how he was coaching. And it's not like took over for the last few weeks of the season. He had time to implement a change in focus. I saw a team that continued to rely on the most inefficient shot selection possible and one that was always late in its defensive rotations. Most Ryan supporters like him because he is Flip 2.0, not realizing what a lousy coach Flip was.

Post #: 2567
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 1:05:46 PM   
JT2

If every other team in the league suddenly needed a head coach for next season, none of them would hire Saunders.
Post #: 2568
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 1:20:47 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

If every other team in the league suddenly needed a head coach for next season, none of them would hire Saunders.

That's true.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2569
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 1:22:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

We have heard that Ryan is big on analytics, but we never saw anything in the teams performance under him to indicate that was how he was coaching. And it's not like took over for the last few weeks of the season. He had time to implement a change in focus. I saw a team that continued to rely on the most inefficient shot selection possible and one that was always late in its defensive rotations. Most Ryan supporters like him because he is Flip 2.0, not realizing what a lousy coach Flip was.

Its all based on a company that he co-founded. It was incredibly rudimentary, where you'd input every shot players took during the game and the results of the shots. Its purpose was to figure out what shots and situations were good or bad for each player.

Its stuff that's completely tracked by the league and a million other sources these days.
Post #: 2570
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 1:46:56 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

Its all based on a company that he co-founded. It was incredibly rudimentary, where you'd input every shot players took during the game and the results of the shots. Its purpose was to figure out what shots and situations were good or bad for each player.

Its stuff that's completely tracked by the league and a million other sources these days.

Yep, there is enough to indicate that he is interested in the analytics side of things, but not enough to say he has a deep understanding of them or how to build a system around them. Nothing IMO that indicates "modern coach". Hopefully Rosas has the stones to tell Glen, "Look maybe some day, but he has a long way to go".

Post #: 2571
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 6:10:28 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

With the way the roster was destroyed by injuries and the hangover from Thibs, I don't think anybody could have proven one way or other from the time he took over as coach to the end of the season. The only thing that was in common was the uniforms. The new POBO is not an analytical man either.
Post #: 2572
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 6:23:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Rosas says he has not had a conversation with Ryan yet. Wants to be fair with him. Give him an opportunity to make his case. But hard questions will be asked, about things like philosophy and style of play.

My preference is, move on, bring in someone else. But if they do choose to retain Saunders, it's not a big disaster, as long as Rosas is not afraid to pull the trigger quickly if he doesn't like the way it's going.

Then at worst we've wasted another year, in a franchise that has seen little else. And personnel-wise this wasn't going to be an overnight fix anyway. Rosas doesn't have a lot of flexibility in first year.

And at best, Saunders may turn out to be a decent coach. We just don't know.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 5/6/2019 6:49:12 PM >

C’mon man
Post #: 2573
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 6:48:26 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

With the way the roster was destroyed by injuries and the hangover from Thibs, I don't think anybody could have proven one way or other from the time he took over as coach to the end of the season. The only thing that was in common was the uniforms. The new POBO is not an analytical man either.

There was plenty of time for Ryan to plan an offense that was geared more to creating layup opportunities and looks from 3. Rosa's is too an analytics guy. He was part of the brain trust that developed the 3 pt philosophy in Houston.

Post #: 2574
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 5/6/2019 7:22:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does he?

If the roster couldn't recover from Thibs in a full half season, then NONE of them are worth coming back.

Rosas does everything. Hell, he's the guy from the Rockets that speaks on analytical panels and at conferences.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 5/6/2019 8:47:33 PM >
Post #: 2575
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  101 102 [103] 104 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode