Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 3:32:56 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

JimPete blasts Thibs:

http://www.1500espn.com/raised-by-wolves-2/2019/01/jim-pete-thibs-whats-next-wolves-ep-149/

Good stuff. And Petersen is such a professional that you would never known from listening to the broadcasts that the coaches were under a gag order from Thibs to not talk to him. It would have been easy to say "OK you want to meet with the media, the media is going to mess with you." And launch an on air vendetta. But Petersen managed to still stay objective and fair.

I'm not sure I'd go that far...I figured something like this was exactly what was up as Petersen was uncharacteristically awful this year. Especially how he was always toeing the company line and refusing to criticize the Wolves for anything.

My guess is that there were significant threats from Thibs to the broadcast crew and the local media about losing access to the team if they didn't "play nice". Its pretty clear how everyone's (JimPete, Britt, JonK, Jace, etc) tone has shifted 180 degrees the past few days.

He did lose me a bit at the end when he said what a great team owner Glen Taylor is.

Well he is a homer, true. But as far as homers go, I'd say he's objective and not afraid to criticize. I've heard a lot worse from other teams' guys, who can be quite sickening.

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 1776
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 3:41:41 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

JimPete blasts Thibs:

http://www.1500espn.com/raised-by-wolves-2/2019/01/jim-pete-thibs-whats-next-wolves-ep-149/

Good stuff. And Petersen is such a professional that you would never known from listening to the broadcasts that the coaches were under a gag order from Thibs to not talk to him. It would have been easy to say "OK you want to meet with the media, the media is going to mess with you." And launch an on air vendetta. But Petersen managed to still stay objective and fair.

I'm not sure I'd go that far...I figured something like this was exactly what was up as Petersen was uncharacteristically awful this year. Especially how he was always toeing the company line and refusing to criticize the Wolves for anything.

My guess is that there were significant threats from Thibs to the broadcast crew and the local media about losing access to the team if they didn't "play nice". Its pretty clear how everyone's (JimPete, Britt, JonK, Jace, etc) tone has shifted 180 degrees the past few days.

He did lose me a bit at the end when he said what a great team owner Glen Taylor is.

Well he is a homer, true. But as far as homers go, I'd say he's objective and not afraid to criticize. I've heard a lot worse from other teams' guys, who can be quite sickening.

I'd agree with that - up until this year. You could tell he was constantly biting his tongue, and if he did say something critical, he'd immediately backtrack. Like "Okogie absolutely needs to play more....but its really hard to play more than 9 players, so its understandable."

I've always been a huge fan of his, but more than a few times this year I had to switch to the opponents broadcast. Especially when he'd get on one of his ultra-pro Rose streaks.
Post #: 1777
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 6:38:21 PM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

JimPete blasts Thibs:

I'd agree with that - up until this year. You could tell he was constantly biting his tongue, and if he did say something critical, he'd immediately backtrack. Like "Okogie absolutely needs to play more....but its really hard to play more than 9 players, so its understandable."

I've always been a huge fan of his, but more than a few times this year I had to switch to the opponents broadcast. Especially when he'd get on one of his ultra-pro Rose streaks.

I think he has become awful. He has always been way too reactionary on calls by the officials, and sometimes corrects himself, but this season there is almost no objectivity in his game. Turned into a company man.

Promoting Rose as an All-Star is bad enough. Calling him a "great defender on pick and rolls" and "a great person" is disgusting. This is unfortunate. He has a great deal of basketball knowledge. I think he's a complete sell out as a broadcaster.
Post #: 1778
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 8:43:43 PM   
JT2

Nice to see that Okogie is working out of that three slump.
Post #: 1779
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 8:53:43 PM   
JT2

How 'bout that, playing, and shooting with confidence.

Perhaps he's playing without the stress that comes with being afraid to make a mistake. Play ball young man.
Post #: 1780
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 9:31:08 PM   
JT2

Doncic is so polished. He can be whatever you need him to be. He's not even 20, is he? So patient. Not in love with scoring.
His (team) game is pretty amazing.
Post #: 1781
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 9:46:26 PM   
Steve Lentz

Other than Rose we got next to nothing from the bench tonight.

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 1782
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 10:46:14 PM   
MDK

I have never seen such stupid play as I saw tonight. Get control of the ball on a steal. And if you have an open shot, take it. Saunders is 32 and in over his head. Taylor proves he is the dumbest wealthy owner in MN professional sports.

The Mauer era is over. The Mauer haters are happy. The Mauer lovers are sad. And those in the middle........Que Será, Será

MARA!!!!! Buy your rakes now and get to work.
Post #: 1783
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 10:55:14 PM   
MDK

And for crying out loud, put a defender on Doncic that can stop his dribble. BB 101. Are the coaches and players that stupid.

The Mauer era is over. The Mauer haters are happy. The Mauer lovers are sad. And those in the middle........Que Será, Será

MARA!!!!! Buy your rakes now and get to work.
Post #: 1784
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 11:10:01 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

I have never seen such stupid play as I saw tonight. Get control of the ball on a steal. And if you have an open shot, take it. Saunders is 32 and in over his head. Taylor proves he is the dumbest wealthy owner in MN professional sports.

I don't think Saunders is the answer, but he is so much better than Thibodeau.

Okogie took shots, almost like he wasn't afraid of being benched. Teauge remains the expert of not taking open looks. I am so sick of his wide open pump fake three.

This team has to cleanse themselves of Thibodeau. Open three, take it every time. Get back on D.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 1/11/2019 11:11:24 PM >
Post #: 1785
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 11:32:04 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Other than Rose we got next to nothing from the bench tonight.

Saric was especially awful tonight.

Jim Petersen often talks about how much better Saric is than Bjelica. Maybe he's full of shit, again. Or maybe he'll come back around to appreciating Bjelica's game. No integrity.
Post #: 1786
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/11/2019 11:34:37 PM   
JT2

Don't get me wrong, I like Saric. Right now, Bjelica is a better basketball player and it's not even close.
Post #: 1787
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 12:42:29 AM   
JT2

Back to reality. We lost to one of the absolute worst road teams in the league.
Yesterday's overpaid hero regressed to his norm. Perhaps there should be more stories about him being a colossal under achiever, rather than hyping his infrequent good game.

Towns still hasn't figured out what a good foul is. He's too smart and too athletic to be getting in foul trouble. This needs to be fixed.
Post #: 1788
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 10:19:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Sure seems like IF we could ever get everyone healthy and happy at the same time, we'd be a handful for damn-near anyone, no?

No.
Post #: 1789
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 12:00:38 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Back to reality. We lost to one of the absolute worst road teams in the league.
Yesterday's overpaid hero regressed to his norm. Perhaps there should be more stories about him being a colossal under achiever, rather than hyping his infrequent good game.

Towns still hasn't figured out what a good foul is. He's too smart and too athletic to be getting in foul trouble. This needs to be fixed.

Saric and a late Okogie mistake cost us....Towns and Rose brought us back from the dead.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1790
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 7:31:40 PM   
David Levine

Jace Frederick:
In practice the other day, Ryan Saunders said the Wolves made long 2s worth NEGATIVE points in a scrimmage

That’s one way to teach shot selection
Post #: 1791
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 7:52:53 PM   
Karl Juhnke

A Deng sighting.

Towns Deng Okogie Teague Jones. How’s that for a lineup. And they’re getting it done.

Edit: Now Wiggins for Jones. Still getting it done.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/12/2019 7:55:06 PM >

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 1792
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 9:08:04 PM   
JT2

Towns is a monster.
Post #: 1793
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 9:52:47 PM   
Steve Lentz

Towns was the difference tonight.
Just WOW!!

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 1794
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/12/2019 10:23:06 PM   
Matt Lang

KLove numbers
Post #: 1795
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/13/2019 12:11:51 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Yes Towns obviously with monster game. But second star tonight goes to Jones. Very solid game.

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 1796
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/13/2019 8:51:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Yes Towns obviously with monster game. But second star tonight goes to Jones. Very solid game.

Towns has been the best player in the NBA statistically over the last couple weeks. If we hadn't shit the bed against Dallas we would have a five game winning streak.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1797
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/13/2019 11:48:31 AM   
David Levine

Since Dec 8th Wolves are

With Derrick Rose: 2-8
Without Derrick Rose: 6-2

6-0 when Okogie gets at least 30 minutes.

I think there may be a connection there...
Post #: 1798
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/13/2019 1:10:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Sure seems like IF we could ever get everyone healthy and happy at the same time, we'd be a handful for damn-near anyone, no?

No.

Ahem, the answer changes to a yes if KAT goes for 27/27 against anyone, especially the likes of Davis.
Post #: 1799
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 1/14/2019 9:35:25 AM   
TJSweens

Here’s Ryan Saunders’ innovative approach to improving Timberwolves’ shot selection

By JACE FREDERICK | jfrederick@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press

A Timberwolves scrimmage last week featured a few small twists.

Corner 3-pointers and drives into the slot were worth bonus points. Long 2-point attempts and turnovers deducted points.

The latter is interim coach Ryan Saunders’ innovative attempt to improve Minnesota’s shot selection.

Analytics have showed the long 2-point shot is the least efficient shot in basketball. Yet the Wolves have continued to fire them frequently in recent seasons.

Last season, they were fourth in the NBA in field-goal attempts taken from 16 to 24 feet out, taking 12.9 such attempts per game. That number has dropped to 10.6 this season, still good for seventh most in the league. For reference, the analytically advanced Houston Rockets average two such attempts per game.

Still, there are many ways to score, and a team has to play to its strengths. Except long 2-point shots are not Minnesota’s strength. The Wolves are shooting 35.2 percent from the field on those attempts this season, 28th best out of 30 teams.

Threes, free-throws and dunks/layups are the most efficient shots in basketball, and while the Wolves are making progress from deep — instead of living in the cellar, as they have for most of the past few years, Minnesota is 21st in 3-point makes (10.2) and 23rd in attempts (28.7) — there’s still plenty of room for improvement.

Last week’s scrimmage rules were Saunders’ attempt to foster a philosophical shift in shot selection.

“We’re trying to do some things to acclimate guys to that mind-set within game situations,” Saunders said.

Wolves forward Anthony Tolliver liked his coach’s creativity. He can’t recall having a scrimmage with that many different rules and ways to score.

“It’s different, switching it up, so it’s good,” guard Tyus Jones said. “Whenever you’re doing new things it’s good. We’re going with it and making the most of it.”

Tolliver said it’s a good way to place an added focus on areas of intended improvement. Will it work? Well, the Wolves did attempt 39 3-pointers in Saturday’s win over the Pelicans, their fifth-highest total of the season.

“It was the first time we’ve done it, so it wasn’t like habits were broke in one practice,” Tolliver said. “But just moving forward, having those types of mind-sets, I think that it’ll definitely be effective.”

And, just to be clear, even with the negative points, the scrimmage finished with positive scores, correct?

“Yes, final scores, they were positive,” Tolliver said. “There was a lot of ups and downs, though.”

The bolded part sums the Wolves up nicely. They shoot the 7th most long range 2's in the league, yet they are 28th in shooting percentage from that distance. They are terribly inefficient at the most inefficient shot, yet they continue to take it. What Ryan is doing is at least encouraging. A lot of us have been complaining about the Wolves reliance on 18 - 20 foot / 2 pointers going back to Flip. Like I said before, Ryan is supposed to be big on analytics. He knows the numbers show the Wolves offensive game has relied on the least effective approach and he taking steps to fix it. I'm still exceedingly skeptical of the young man as a head coach, but I give him kudos for this.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode