Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 9:05:07 PM   
Ragnarök

Thoughts on Philbin as our OL coach? he certainly brings the experience with him in working on offensive positions and tenure. Much like previous Sporano... Might be a nice addition of brains in O meetings and buffer to keep Zimm focused on D!
Post #: 2226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 9:14:35 PM   
Pager

Does he coach the shoulder grab/holding technique?

Watch we go from 15 holding calls in a year to 67, because only GB (protecting Aron) get away with it.

All kidding aside, was he any good as an Oline coach? High ranked line play? Lower round/level talent development?

I don't care about pedigree or name recognition. I want someone who can coach these guys up. Get Elf and Oneil to take the next level. Get any rookies integrated to the speed of the NFL.

A freaking cohesive line that doesn't sh** the bed when during a 4 man rush, they do a simple stunt.

Is that too much to ask for??

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/9/2019 9:20:38 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 9:22:41 PM   
Ragnarök

Joe Philbin Resume NFL

2003 42 NFL Green Bay Packers Asst. Offensive Line
2004 43 NFL Green Bay Packers Tight Ends/Asst. Offensive Line
2005 44 NFL Green Bay Packers Tight Ends/Asst. Offensive Line
2006 45 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Line
2007 46 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator
2008 47 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator
2009 48 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator
2010 49 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator
2011 50 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator
2012 51 NFL Miami Dolphins Head Coach
2013 52 NFL Miami Dolphins Head Coach
2014 53 NFL Miami Dolphins Head Coach
2015 54 NFL Miami Dolphins Head Coach
2016 55 NFL Indianapolis Colts Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Line
2017 56 NFL Indianapolis Colts Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Line
2018 57 NFL Green Bay Packers Offensive Coordinator

2016 OL rating

15. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (17TH)
Pass-blocking rank:12th

Run-blocking rank: 19th

Penalties rank: 16th

2017 OL rating

25. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Total pressures surrendered: 182

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/9/2019 9:31:58 PM >
Post #: 2228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 9:53:10 PM   
Ragnarök

https://247sports.com/Article/Joe-Philbin-Vikings-interview-127616089/

Here is a quote from Philbin from 2016, when the Colts hired him to help with their O-line woes.

"The things in blocking that I want us to be known for are really fundamentally-related first and scheme second…[I]t’s really about how fast and decisive our guys can play. Can they get to their target? Can they play with leverage? Can they get movement? I don’t care really what the scheme – gap, man, zone, lead, turn – there are umpteen different schemes, but the real emphasis still for us even when we get to that stage is going to be moving people and creating space for our running back."

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/9/2019 10:06:40 PM >
Post #: 2229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 10:26:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

After the death of Tony Sparano, the Vikings went with Assistant OL Coach Andrew Janocko and TE Coach Clancy Barone as co-OL Coaches. Head coach Mike Zimmer gave some mild compliments to both coaches at his end-of-season press conference, but also said that after the death of Tony Sparano things went into a tailspin.

Andrew Janocko had only worked as an assistant OL coach for a year before being elevated after Sparano’s death. No offense to Janocko, but he’s a young guy that could use a few more seasons as an assistant OL coach before being really ready to be the position coach.

Clancy Barone had been an offensive line coach before with a couple teams, but never for very long. He has alternated between OL coach and TE coach, but has had a hard time holding onto either position for more than a couple years since becoming an NFL coach in 2004. Eight of those years since he’s been a TE coach, and that may be the better spot for him. His runs as OL coach have been very short lived- one or two years at the most.

I would be surprised if either Janocko or Barone were given any serious consideration to stay on as OL coach, and I hope getting a top OL coach is as high a priority as getting a top offensive coordinator for the Vikings early this off-season.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/9/18163609/vikings-off-season-evaluation-offensive-line

I hope this is true. Completely true.

Plus, if Stefanski/offense do well ... we will possibly be looking for a new OC in 2020.

We would do well to bring in a solid pure (Grimm please) OLC for the long term, and a QB coach with OC experience to MAYBE plug in later on...

(not to mention if the team strikes out twice with new OC talent evals)

I doubt it. Grimm retired last month. There was some speculation that maybe Mularkey could draw him out of retirement to coach alongside him, but if that's going to happen, it'll be in Atlanta.

Ah ... thanks didn't know that.

I suppose I will be mostly ignorant of any OL coach. It's hard to gauge.
Post #: 2230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 10:40:07 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://247sports.com/Article/Joe-Philbin-Vikings-interview-127616089/

Here is a quote from Philbin from 2016, when the Colts hired him to help with their O-line woes.

"The things in blocking that I want us to be known for are really fundamentally-related first and scheme second…[I]t’s really about how fast and decisive our guys can play. Can they get to their target? Can they play with leverage? Can they get movement? I don’t care really what the scheme – gap, man, zone, lead, turn – there are umpteen different schemes, but the real emphasis still for us even when we get to that stage is going to be moving people and creating space for our running back."

Thanks Ragnarok for doing some of the research and posting on Philbin. I like the quote. Rankings aren't impressive, but for all I know Saprano was a hall of fame coach and got the absolute max our of the talent assembled here (chicken salad).

I'm probably like Tom, that I don't know a lot of the guys out there that are good at coaching up hogs. Callahan in Washington. Grimey of course. The fired Cowboys oline coach might be worth an interview.

Gotta get this one right.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 3:49:39 AM  1 votes
marty

Philbin's OL never made it to the SB, he sucked at Miami as a head coach, like everyone else.

I think where guys got their ring, is probably where you should have them.

So for the Vikes, it should be Mike Zimmer - defensive backs, Dan Quinn - DC, Clancy Barone - OL, Joe Philbin - OC, John Harbaugh - HC

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:10:27 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

A 5th would be a good get. Maybe the Raiders do a 4th because they have a lot of walking around money and won't be as attached to the smaller coin.

I heard the Raiders are going cheap until they move to vegas. Like cap floor.

This kind of explains why they dumped mack and Cooper.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 10:50:50 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Philbin's OL never made it to the SB, he sucked at Miami as a head coach, like everyone else.

So for the Vikes, it should be Mike Zimmer - defensive backs, Dan Quinn - DC, Clancy Barone - OL, Joe Philbin - OC, John Harbaugh - HC

Your logic is pure fantasy. And warped to justify your bromance with Harbaugh – which you've made clear.

For me, Harbaugh's best moment was when Ditka skinned him alive on the sideline in 1992, after he threw a pick six – allowing us to come from 20 pts down in the 4th qtr to beat the Bears.
Post #: 2234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 10:57:12 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Your logic is pure fantasy. And warped to justify your bromance with Harbaugh – which you've made clear.

For me, Harbaugh's best moment was when Ditka skinned him alive on the sideline in 1992, after he threw a pick six – allowing us to come from 20 pts down in the 4th qtr to beat the Bears.

Wrong Harbaugh.
Post #: 2235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 11:28:41 AM   
Ricky J

D. Orlando Ledbetter

@DOrlandoAJC

#Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Kyle Flood was be the in-game assistant helping with replay challenges and clock management

- can the Vikings get one of those?
Post #: 2236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 11:30:43 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Wrong Harbaugh.

You're right! My bad.

Change that to favorite Harbaugh moment, in general.
Post #: 2237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 11:36:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach.....almost won it alll a couple years with the 49ers.....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 12:25:32 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

A 5th would be a good get. Maybe the Raiders do a 4th because they have a lot of walking around money and won't be as attached to the smaller coin.

Send them a 2nd and 5th for Osmelele

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 12:49:05 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

AND throw in Treadwell PLEASE
Post #: 2240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 1:09:25 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If they had to take Treadwell too, they would probably demand another pick.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 2:13:31 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If they had to take Treadwell too, they would probably demand another pick.

we traded our 5th this year for siemian....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:26:23 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least Art left for the year when he hated our QB so we didn't have to read the constant drivel...

Hate is a strong word and fits your narrative ... post after post calling for "our" "old" Head coach to be fired is not drivel? Art left for good not 1 year- account terminated. TOE leaving did not sit well with him.

I'm talking about the Favre year(s).

Art took a sabbatical from the board (and apparently the team) during that time, and came back when Favre left.

Ok- that was a few years ago. Misunderstood after the disagreements you had on Cousins. TOE leaving upset Art and was the tipping point.

I'll miss Art's photos of food. Then again, the end of that was 7 or so years ago it seems.

The rest, not so much. He's probably hanging out on a Broncos board.

I'll let him know you miss his food. As for the petty shot - from you totally expected.

How about you and Levine just stick to football - leave Art out of it he ain't here no more.

Lets just all hope the OL gets addressed and Kirk Cousins becomes an elite QB.

How about you stop following posters around and telling them what to do like a jackwagon. I'm glad he's done, his posting got worse and worse every year due to his love/hate of whatever QB was always on his mind.
Post #: 2243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:30:08 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least Art left for the year when he hated our QB so we didn't have to read the constant drivel...

Hate is a strong word and fits your narrative ... post after post calling for "our" "old" Head coach to be fired is not drivel? Art left for good not 1 year- account terminated. TOE leaving did not sit well with him.

I'm talking about the Favre year(s).

Art took a sabbatical from the board (and apparently the team) during that time, and came back when Favre left.

Ok- that was a few years ago. Misunderstood after the disagreements you had on Cousins. TOE leaving upset Art and was the tipping point.

I'll miss Art's photos of food. Then again, the end of that was 7 or so years ago it seems.

The rest, not so much. He's probably hanging out on a Broncos board.

I'll let him know you miss his food. As for the petty shot - from you totally expected.

How about you and Levine just stick to football - leave Art out of it he ain't here no more.

Lets just all hope the OL gets addressed and Kirk Cousins becomes an elite QB.

YOU got all aggressive because YOU misunderstood my post.

Maybe take YOUR own advice.
Post #: 2244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:33:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I like Stepanski coming back.

Interesting take was the Vikes wanted to act fast as the Broncos or other team would bring in Stepanski....Keenum/Stepanski were very close last year and Fangio is the next coach for Denver.

Continuity from last season doesn’t do a lot for me ... so although we won’t fall on our face with another Flipper debacle ... we have gone the safe route over hotting for the fences.

OL coach will possibly now have the bigger impact on the franchise next season (than OC Fancy).

If we stay with Barone, I will be sorely disappointed.

I think that Stepanski is a good pick and he deserves a shot. I bet the Broncos were looking at him too...they may bring back Kubiak.

That's no shocker, you being a glass half full kind of dude.

But their is little evidence how he will playcall, execute gameplans, and most importantly, make in game adjustments against good defenses and seasoned DCs.

You're right, but it is a small sample size, four games? With Dipshit Flip's playbook. He now gets to install his own playbook and call it his way. He's getting the job because he is on the same page as Zimmer regarding what should be called.

Your analysis is over simplified. He was a finalist in Cleveland, based upon his experiences. He has long tenure with the Vikes and has survived several head caching changes. He is familiar with the players strengths and weaknesses and can design offenses and plays to fit them. He did a credible job with someone else's play book. He agrees witch the boss on how the offense should work. He is viewed as an up and coming assistant, since he potentially had offers last year amd maybe could have received an offer from Denver or elsewhere. These things can't be sneezed at. The real key is to finding the right line coach and an improved line and a top tier tight end.

You nailed it:
- OL
- OL coach
- Super Bowl era TE
Post #: 2245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:43:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Thoughts on Philbin as our OL coach? he certainly brings the experience with him in working on offensive positions and tenure. Much like previous Sporano... Might be a nice addition of brains in O meetings and buffer to keep Zimm focused on D!

Experience yes, although sometimes that could be just one of those guys that bounces around. So IMO unknown asset experience wise.

What else? Their tackles play pretty good. Can't go on sacks since Rodgers runs around a lot and releases the ball any given second.

Backs seemed to usually get a pretty good ypc, but how much of that was on him?

It seems like his ceiling is OL, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as he knows it.

IDK.
Post #: 2246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 6:54:25 PM   
Todd M

I would question if he knows it. If anything he might see the success of turning our OL around as a ticket to getting another HC shot.
Post #: 2247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 7:02:58 PM   
Todd M

Feels like with all the people that have died and with all the people that have left that there is an expiration date on this thing. This might go back a dozen years and then another decade back at the strib but it doesn't feel like it is going to be something that exists down the road.
Post #: 2248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 7:09:21 PM   
Todd M

When the sun turns into a red giant and engulfs us it won't matter whether the site kept going and for how long.
Post #: 2249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/10/2019 7:19:13 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Osemele's contract is not cheap, and he had a bad year, so although he's a nice upgrade, not so sure I'd do that.
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode