Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/14/2019 10:30:38 AM   
Bill Johanesen

I doubt any other pair of posters could be more different. One who uses logic to a sarcastic degree, the other who continually defends some hair-brained concept pulled out of la-la land.
Post #: 76
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/14/2019 1:46:20 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Beebe, when healthy, can be that guy. Can he stay healthy though?

I love Beebe, but wonder if his lack of real athleticism can overcome his 100% grasp of fundamentals.

IMO he may be like Matt Kalil. Trained by the best, NFL connections, so he is above his peers but after that he gets exposed.

Still, Beebe HAS to be in the mix. Runs routes and catches. He and Treadwell are opposites. And Treadwell is delusional what with his good year comments. He was an EMBARRASSMENT!

I love Beebe too, but I do NOT want to go into 2019 depending on him as the 3rd WR. After Oline, this is the most important position to get right this offseason. Oppsing defenses are doubling both Thielen and Diggs, we need the 3rd WR to make them Pay.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 77
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/14/2019 1:56:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I love Beebe, but wonder if his lack of real athleticism can overcome his 100% grasp of fundamentals.

IMO he may be like Matt Kalil. Trained by the best, NFL connections, so he is above his peers but after that he gets exposed.

Still, Beebe HAS to be in the mix. Runs routes and catches. He and Treadwell are opposites. And Treadwell is delusional what with his good year comments. He was an EMBARRASSMENT!

I love Beebe too, but I do NOT want to go into 2019 depending on him as the 3rd WR. After Oline, this is the most important position to get right this offseason. Oppsing defenses are doubling both Thielen and Diggs, we need the 3rd WR to make them Pay.

Or a legit TE that can make plays down the field.
Post #: 78
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/14/2019 2:14:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ideally both. At least bring in some candidates.
Post #: 79
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/14/2019 8:59:21 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree 100% TGS and DL. We need a third option that can stress a defense, especially over the top. I don't care if it's a speedy WR. Or a legit TE. Ruddy only gets open base on scheme. Otherwise it's a contested catch. And while he has great hands and catching radius, it is too easy to defend.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 80
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/19/2019 6:49:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

Out of Kevin Seifert's top 50 FA:
20. tyrell Williams WR
27. Mark Glowinski G
33. John Brown WR
35. Adam Humphries WR
36. Golden Tate WR
48. Donte Moncreif WR

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 81
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 1/19/2019 6:51:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

While the official opening of free agency in the NFL isn’t until March 13, it’s never too early to speculate on the Minnesota Vikings’ offseason approach to key positions. This week ESPN’s Kevin Seifert released his top 50 free agents and a number of players on the list could interest the Vikings. So let’s have a look at all the top 50 players at positions the Vikings could plausibly be interested in…

10. Tampa Bay, LB, Kwon Alexander

If the Vikings lose Anthony Barr to free agency, they may look outside the building for a replacement. Alexander will be coming off an ACL injury, which could lower the asking price. In four years with the Bucs, the blazing-fast linebacker was an asset in coverage at times and rushed the passer only situationally. At 24, there could still be room to grow.

12. Atlanta, DT, Grady Jarrett

The 2015 fifth-round pick has been absolutely fantastic for the Falcons over the last two years, ranking as an elite run stuffer by Pro Football Focus and putting 43 pressures on the QB in 2017 and 53 in 2018 to go along with six sacks. Jarrett and Linval Joseph in the middle would be like the Williams Wall.

13. Houston, DB, Tyrann Mathieu

If the Vikings decide to move on from Andrew Sendejo, who has a $5.1 million cap hit and zero dead money if he’s released, they could seek another dynamic defensive back to play alongside Harrison Smith. Mathieu might never again reach his 2015 level, but he’s been solid in back-to-back years, grading above average against the run and in coverage this season with Houston. Mathieu has not yet turned 27.

15. Minnesota, DT, Sheldon Richardson

The Vikings turned a low-risk one-year deal into solid production from Richardson, who pressured opposing QBs 47 times according to PFF and played a part in one of the NFL’s best teams against the run. Considering how well Richardson fit with Mike Zimmer’s defense, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Vikings tried to bring him back. But the price tag for three-technique defensive tackles isn’t often cheap.

16. Cleveland, QB, Tyrod Taylor

Backup quarterback Trevor Siemian is a free agent, giving the Vikings options. New assistant coach/offensive advisor Gary Kubiak has history with Siemian, so he might prefer to have the former Bronco back. If not, the Vikings could consider Taylor, who’s unlikely to get offers as a starter. He played for Kubiak in 2014 and would be capable of stepping into a starting role if needed.

18. Minnesota, LB, Anthony Barr

By PFF standards, Barr had his best season since 2015 and was especially effective as a pass rusher, putting 23 pressures on opposing QBs in just 103 pass rush snaps. Per PFF, he only allowed 77 yards in coverage after a rough night in Los Angeles in Week 4. Barr’s value isn’t always easy to quantify because he’s fluent in Zimmer’s defense and capable of being used in many different ways. The Vikings have made it clear they would like to keep him.

20. Los Angeles Chargers, WR, Tyrell Williams

As the Vikings look to add weapons, they may seek a deep threat. The 6-foot-4 receiver has become just that for the Chargers over the last three seasons, averaging 16.3 yards per catch.

23. Atlanta, RB, Tevin Coleman

A dual threat out of the backfield, Coleman has caught more than 30 passes for the Falcons each of the last three years while splitting time with Devonta Freeman. If Latavius Murray isn’t back, the Vikings could attempt to recreate that threat with Coleman and Dalvin Cook. However, if Jerick McKinnon’s contract last offseason says anything, it’s that quality pass catchers are a sought-after commodity.

30. New York Jets, DT, Henry Anderson

The 27-year-old defensive lineman had a breakout year with seven sacks and 48 pressures in 459 pass rushing snaps. During his time with the Colts, his high in pass rush snaps was just 255 and Anderson totaled just three sacks. Teams will have to decide whether the strong production can be repeated going forward.

31. Indianapolis, G, Mark Glowinski

Played a role in the resurgence of the Colts’ offensive line, giving up just one sack in 431 pass blocking snaps — though Andrew Luck got rid of the ball quickly in Frank Reich’s system this year. Glowinski, 27, ranked 10th among guards by PFF, would offer an immediate upgrade for the Vikings. Los Angeles guard Roger Saffold and Pittsburgh’s Ramon Foster were left off the top 50 list.

32. Los Angeles Rams. S, LaMarcus Joyner

Joyner isn’t very big, but he packs a punch. At only 5-foot-8, he has ranked by PFF as a top tackling safety for the last two years. After giving up just a 27.4 rating into his coverage in 2017, things evened out this year but opposing teams only tested him 23 times in coverage.

33. Baltimore, WR, John Brown

Another deep threat receiver, Brown had a solid season in Baltimore with 44 catches at 16.6 yards per grab.

35. Tampa Bay, WR, Adam Humphries

Largely a slot receiver, Humphries has put up impressive numbers with 61 and 76 receptions over the last two years, respectively, and had a 108.7 rating on throws in his direction last season. He will start next season as a 26-year-old.

36. Philadelphia, WR, Golden Tate

The veteran receiver has put up at least 80 catches each season since 2014 and is consistently one of the most dangerous playmaking receivers with the ball in his hands. He would seem to be a good fit with Thielen and Diggs, but at 30, the question will be the length of contract and the price tag.

37. Dallas, DT, David Irving

In stints between injuries Irving has been effective as a rotational player, picking up 14 sacks and 83 pressures over 772 career pass rushing snaps. Whether he could be reliable as a Richardson replacement is questionable.

40. Los Angeles Rams, DT, Ndamukong Suh

With 52 pressures in 591 pass rush snaps, Suh was a strong pass rusher at age 32. PFF also graded him as one of the best run-stuffing DTs in the league. Will his name carry too high a price tag for the Vikings to be in the mix or would he look for a short-term deal with big guaranteed money? Either way that could be tough for the Vikings to figure into their equation, but he’d be a scary fit with Joseph.

43. Chicago, S, Adrian Amos

An underrated player on the league’s top defense, Amos graded as the 10th best safety by PFF. The Vikings’ secondary would be outrageously good with him next to Smith.

48. Jacksonville, WR, Donte Moncrief

The 25-year-old speedster had the unfortunate task of playing receiver for Blake Bortles. His 48 catches on 85 targets may drive down the price, which could be good for the Vikings, who should be in search of a No. 3 without massive contract demands. But in an offense-first league, we might see other teams go all-in on so-so receivers.

50. San Francisco, K, Robbie Gould

At 36, he made 33 of 34 field goal attempts. The Vikings absolutely need t figure out their kicking situation.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 82
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/3/2019 7:09:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The list is pretty skinny for offensive linemen. That does not bode well for the Vikings who will have to pay high dollars for mediocrity- kind of like they did with Remmers. That would not be so inspiring.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 83
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/5/2019 6:28:52 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The list is pretty skinny for offensive linemen. That does not bode well for the Vikings who will have to pay high dollars for mediocrity- kind of like they did with Remmers. That would not be so inspiring.

Glowinski is better than any inside guy we have right now. But that's not saying too much. He did look good this year blocking for luck and gore.
Post #: 84
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/6/2019 2:42:11 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Glowinski is better than any inside guy we have right now. But that's not saying too much. He did look good this year blocking for luck and gore.

Glowinski was horrible in Seattle the year before signing with Indy. Worse than Compton or Remmers played for us last year.

Like Remmers in CAR, Glowinski caught on with a team that was gelling ... it remains to be seen how good he is. It didnt hurt him playing between Smith/Kelly on a very good OL in general.
Post #: 85
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/6/2019 9:18:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It seems that Luck and Brady are really good at getting the pass out quickly and in time with their receivers. Especially if our quarterback is not mobile, that seems to be a really important quality that is needed and one that would help our offensive line a lot. Still, our offensive line did not exactly open a lot of holes for our running backs, either.

Post #: 86
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 7:07:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Sometimes the best free agents are the ones that are already in your house. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill. I'm thinking of Nick Easton in particular at the moment.

That being said, sometimes players can benefit of a change of scenery and a fresh start. For our offensive line in particular, that can happen with a new slate of offensive line coaches.

Post #: 87
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 6:08:28 PM   
Dana Turner

I believe the Vikings should go hard after Matt Paradis, look at moving Elf to guard. Perhaps with an offseason of lifting and adding a few pounds, Elf will be stronger, which I believe was his main problem this past year. Coming out of Ohio State, many thought he'd be a great guard in the NFL, he has some experience there and could be a swing guy if Paradis got hurt. Now, I know many don't want to experiment, moving people to different positions, but really, Elf knows guard, so it's not like it's something new and maybe if he doesn't have to think about the snap as well as everyone's assignments, he might be better off the ball. We know he's ideal for the Zone scheme just by watching his movement over the past couple years.

If the Vikings try to sign Easton, then you know they have confidence in his health. The neck can be a iffy injury area, so they will need solid evaluation, but if they do try to sign him back, that's a good sign. If he is healthy, he's immediately better than any guard that played for us last year, not saying much, but just say'in.

Depending on how the draft falls, and there are so many different ideas for the first 17 picks it isn't funny, the Vikings could be in a prime spot to drop back a few picks and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. If they could swing it where they had five picks in the first four rounds, get two OL guys, a TE, Edge guy or DT and a nice surprise that has fallen in our lap and go from there.

If you told me our starting offensive line next year was Rieff, Easton, Paradis, Elf and O'Neal, I wouldn't be hating that. That really has the potential to be a nice combination. Get Ford and Dieter in the mix and you've got some depth and youth. I just think that a guy like Paradis can really change the dynamic of our current group. (of course, Easton is a question mark, we'll see)
Post #: 88
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 7:01:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

I believe the Vikings should go hard after Matt Paradis, look at moving Elf to guard. Perhaps with an offseason of lifting and adding a few pounds, Elf will be stronger, which I believe was his main problem this past year. Coming out of Ohio State, many thought he'd be a great guard in the NFL, he has some experience there and could be a swing guy if Paradis got hurt. Now, I know many don't want to experiment, moving people to different positions, but really, Elf knows guard, so it's not like it's something new and maybe if he doesn't have to think about the snap as well as everyone's assignments, he might be better off the ball. We know he's ideal for the Zone scheme just by watching his movement over the past couple years.

If the Vikings try to sign Easton, then you know they have confidence in his health. The neck can be a iffy injury area, so they will need solid evaluation, but if they do try to sign him back, that's a good sign. If he is healthy, he's immediately better than any guard that played for us last year, not saying much, but just say'in.

Depending on how the draft falls, and there are so many different ideas for the first 17 picks it isn't funny, the Vikings could be in a prime spot to drop back a few picks and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. If they could swing it where they had five picks in the first four rounds, get two OL guys, a TE, Edge guy or DT and a nice surprise that has fallen in our lap and go from there.

If you told me our starting offensive line next year was Rieff, Easton, Paradis, Elf and O'Neal, I wouldn't be hating that. That really has the potential to be a nice combination. Get Ford and Dieter in the mix and you've got some depth and youth. I just think that a guy like Paradis can really change the dynamic of our current group. (of course, Easton is a question mark, we'll see)

OOF, Two guys that have to prove they're healthy and a third Elf moved to a new NFL position.

There is definitely a Paradis train building up steam in here. If he's healthy BEFORE training camp (and he's not simply re-signed by the Broncos) ... could be an option for sure. I'd be a drag though to have to go through another longer than anticipated recovery period like Elflein and then find out Paradis is playing at 80% or whatever it was Elflein played at.

As far as Easton, he not only had the neck injury all of last year but missed the last 4 games of 2017 with a fractured ankle. So there's a lot of rust, not just the health.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/17/2019 7:04:07 PM >
Post #: 89
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 7:02:18 PM   
bohumm

quote:

This is my approximate plan, with the addition of another signing of a low-tier guy who can start or provide depth; not a star, not even necessarily "good", but someone who doesn't suck and is at least north of Remmers and Compton. Then address a need at 18. If Ford is as good as some pundits predict, I doubt he's there at 18. But him or another OL, or a stud LB or TE, could well be there and I'd hate to have to reach for a guard who may not even be ready to start as a rookie.
Post #: 90
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 11:10:19 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

This is my approximate plan, with the addition of another signing of a low-tier guy who can start or provide depth; not a star, not even necessarily "good", but someone who doesn't suck and is at least north of Remmers and Compton. Then address a need at 18. If Ford is as good as some pundits predict, I doubt he's there at 18. But him or another OL, or a stud LB or TE, could well be there and I'd hate to have to reach for a guard who may not even be ready to start as a rookie.

We’ve been on this train for weeks.

You seriously take care of two starting positions if you move Elf to guard (According to him his “Best position” in college”.

And sign Paradis...

I’d take more of a versatile G/T like Williams (Alabama)

< Message edited by kurt bilben -- 2/17/2019 11:16:56 PM >
Post #: 91
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/17/2019 11:57:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

We’ve been on this train for weeks.

You seriously take care of two starting positions if you move Elf to guard (According to him his “Best position” in college”.

And sign Paradis...

I’d take more of a versatile G/T like Williams (Alabama)

Yes we are all well aware of Paradis and have been for awhile.

I will wait a bit before I start free agent and draft pick joyriding. I'd like to see him (Paradis) not get re-signed first AND then be healthy enough to sign (although we signed Murray before he was all the way back).
Post #: 92
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 12:12:40 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i'm getting the process of moving reiff to left guard - o'neill moves to left tackle and if he struggles reiff can slide over...also, he's there on the left side to work with o'neill....

we'll draft our new right tackle this year, but now i think the team keeps remmers as the present starter - if the rookie can supplant him during preseason then perhaps we let remmers go and keep hill as our swing tackle....

sign Paradis, ramon foster and draft a guard in the 3rd round....

this is your 2019 o-line.............o'neill--reiff--paradis--elf (or foster)--!st rounder (or remmers)

draft:
o-tackle
tight end
guard

free agents to sign:
richardson...$10m
paradis...$8m
foster...$4m
kj wright...$4m

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 2/18/2019 12:21:13 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 93
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 8:05:03 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

I really like this plan!

Purple Dynasty!
Post #: 94
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 4:23:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I don't see the Reiff to G thing happening.

While he is not a world beater at T, if he moves to G we either have to:
1. Sign a good LT FA. Doubt a decent one is even out there.
2. Draft one at 18 and immediately throw him into the fire at LT.
3. Move O'Neill there and 'deal with' RT. O'Neill isn't a sure thing anywhere, and his destiny at LT is far from written in stone. Then you'd still have RT to deal with.

Yes the interior is full of holes, but that doesn't mean you make T weaker.

And crucially, Reiff would be a huge experiment at G anyway.
Post #: 95
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 4:30:57 PM   
TJSweens

The switch from T to G is tricky. Remmers couldn't handle the switch just from his inability to play lower. Reiff coming from LT could have the same issue. He plays upright and is more geared to back paddling in the pass block.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 96
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 4:34:42 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Reiff to G would be somewhat like when we were weak at DE and Hovan wasn't cutting it at DT (IMO once the league started cracking down on banned substances, Hovan and Kleinsasser both went south). The magic solution was, of course, "Hovan to DE!".

The difference though is Reiff is better at LT than Hovan was at DT after he went downhill.
Post #: 97
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 4:37:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The switch from T to G is tricky. Remmers couldn't handle the switch just from his inability to play lower. Reiff coming from LT could have the same issue. He plays upright and is more geared to back paddling in the pass block.

Remmers and Reiff are about the same stature, with Reiff about an inch taller.

Reiff isn't a spring chicken either.
Post #: 98
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 6:02:49 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

OOF, Two guys that have to prove they're healthy and a third Elf moved to a new NFL position.

There is definitely a Paradis train building up steam in here. If he's healthy BEFORE training camp (and he's not simply re-signed by the Broncos) ... could be an option for sure. I'd be a drag though to have to go through another longer than anticipated recovery period like Elflein and then find out Paradis is playing at 80% or whatever it was Elflein played at.

As far as Easton, he not only had the neck injury all of last year but missed the last 4 games of 2017 with a fractured ankle. So there's a lot of rust, not just the health.

Yea, there are definitely some question marks in the plan, but I believe there will be question marks in any plan as we go forward. Many guys coming out of school these days simply aren't ready for the NFL, getting the right guys is always a crap shoot. As Kurt pointed out, Williams and a couple other guys just might be as good an any of the top 15 guys in the OL draft. We'll see, but I hope Easton recovers and is ready to go, I hope Paradis is recovered and ready to go and if this happens, we can take a big step forward in righting the ship.

The key here is to draft a pretty solid OL guy every year from now on, not waiting until the 5th, 6th, or 7th round every year and praying you get a guy that develops. You gotta have that rotation of talent, with a few guys making money on rookie contracts to make this work. But you must get the young guys in the rotation. If we can manage to get two good guys in the first four rounds, I think we are well on our way to getting this straightened out, I just hope it has sunk in that you can't bandaid the OL.

Who knows how it will shake out, I only know that Cousins can't perform under duress, he's proven that and I don't want the Vikings paying that kind of money for that kind of performance to anyone, period. If we can get him a solid OL and he still performs like he did, I'll only have to watch that crap for one more year.
Post #: 99
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/18/2019 10:51:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It seemed that Cousins was doing better under pressure earlier in the season and getting rid of the ball quicker. I hope that facet of his game can be renewed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/284159/kirk-cousins-is-at-his-best-when-pressure-is-cranked-up

Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode