Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 3:04:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

Darren Wolfson
‏Verified account @DWolfsonKSTP
23h23 hours ago
Darren Wolfson Retweeted Rand Getlin

Taylor is definitely looking forward to his #Vikings visit tomorrow. Kubiak connection is there. Did a good job on punt returns for the Broncos in 2017, another potential role here, if all goes well.

Darren Wolfson added,
0:07
Rand Getlin
Verified account @RandGetlin
This catch by #Broncos WR Jordan Taylor is filthy. (via @Mark_Sanchez) https://instagram.com/p/BIdNB7LjCpC/
Post #: 1151
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 3:23:45 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Sloter should outplay any other backup, should be the #2 QB for the Vikes, maybe even #1, the kid is likely something special.

apparently coaches scouts and others more in the know that you do not agree. They think Trevor Simien and Mannion or whatever that worthless dude's name is...are better.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 1152
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 4:00:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Sloter is still developing. Manion probably is too. That's why I say it's good to have a competition. Let the best man win- I don't care who it is.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 1153
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 4:20:24 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Sloter should outplay any other backup, should be the #2 QB for the Vikes, maybe even #1, the kid is likely something special.

apparently coaches scouts and others more in the know that you do not agree. They think Trevor Simien and Mannion or whatever that worthless dude's name is...are better.

That's pretty harsh. You've seen Mannion play?
Post #: 1154
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 4:30:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at Mannion's stats, it looks like he doesn't complete many longer passes. Reading this article, it looks like he lacks confidence and he is a backup at best- no potential to become a true starter. He did not get a lot of opportunity to play and I think there's a reason for that.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/12/10978448/los-angeles-rams-quarterback-sean-mannion-2016-nfl-draft

Post #: 1155
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 4:54:16 PM   
marty

So when I am proven right on Sloter, it can be added to the list of things where I had better instincts than those "more in the know".

Ok, it can be the FIRST thing on that list

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1156
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 4:55:15 PM   
Todd M

Turd Mannion. Don't know that I've ever been less excited about a QB we've brought in.

I tried.

2006/2019
Post #: 1157
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 6:16:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Turd Mannion. Don't know that I've ever been less excited about a QB we've brought in.

He may be out of the league within the next year. The only good things I can see about him are that he's really tall and he's got some game experience.

Post #: 1158
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 8:35:22 PM   
kurt bilben

Mannion- the classic Airport All Pro. Looks the part walking through the Airport, can’t play dead.

Big, slow release, very inaccurate. He’s a Sloth.

If a promising young gamer like Sloter can’t run circles around him in practice, and in preseason then he doesn’t deserve to be in the NFL.

My lone concern with Sloter is he’s evidently a poor practice player, but his preseason game performances tell a completely different story with both Denver, and us.
Post #: 1159
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/8/2019 8:44:36 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Were any of them the ones that thought Matt Kalil was worth his fifth-year-option at $11 million and tried to resign him after that?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 1160
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 6:38:38 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Joel Stave?
Post #: 1161
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 7:38:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

Manion will prob be 4th QB for training camp...700-800k contract pretty much shows that also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1162
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 8:07:25 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Manion will prob be 4th QB for training camp...700-800k contract pretty much shows that also.

I agree with you, he is for training camp competition. Some would prefer that we spend a 6th round pick, because there is a diamond down there.
Post #: 1163
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 8:32:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Mannion- the classic Airport All Pro. Looks the part walking through the Airport, can’t play dead.

If a promising young gamer like Sloter can’t run circles around him in practice, and in preseason then he doesn’t deserve to be in the NFL.

My lone concern with Sloter is he’s evidently a poor practice player, but his preseason game performances tell a completely different story with both Denver, and us.

Sloter needs to step it up then. And please remember that Sloter may have looked good in Preseason games, but that has always been vs 3rd and 4th stringers and camp fodder that has zero shot of making the NFL roster. I would like to see him get more reps against 1st and 2nd stringers to get a feel for how well he would do against better competition. But he will have to earn that opportunity. Zimmer is not just going to hand it to him. He has to show IN PRACTICE that he deserves that chance.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 1164
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 11:07:59 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Sloter needs to step it up then. And please remember that Sloter may have looked good in Preseason games, but that has always been vs 3rd and 4th stringers and camp fodder that has zero shot of making the NFL roster. I would like to see him get more reps against 1st and 2nd stringers to get a feel for how well he would do against better competition. But he will have to earn that opportunity. Zimmer is not just going to hand it to him. He has to show IN PRACTICE that he deserves that chance.

Problem is practice is very structured, not a lot of improvisation allowed, which seems to me is what makes Sloter stand out.
Post #: 1165
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 11:15:20 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Problem is practice is very structured, not a lot of improvisation allowed, which seems to me is what makes Sloter stand out.

Another problem is that the Vikings have a history of only discovering the talent of their non-starters when the starter gets injured. What if Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright hadn't been injured for the game at Denver in 2015? There may have never been a Minneapolis Miracle.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 1166
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 11:33:46 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Another problem is that the Vikings have a history of only discovering the talent of their non-starters when the starter gets injured. What if Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright hadn't been injured for the game at Denver in 2015? There may have never been a Minneapolis Miracle.

If Sendejo doesn't get hurt last year, he's probably starting for us on a more friendly contract this upcoming season.
Post #: 1167
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 11:56:27 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

If he can't play well when it isn't improvised that's a problem.

He needs to step it up to show he can play well when structured than excel when the time to improvise presents itself.

Post #: 1168
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 12:14:43 PM   
marty

If the Vikes had a weak starting WR corps, then it would be a good point that he was facing 3rd stringers, but he also had to work with 3rd string WR corps, which really wasn't strong.

I would love to see Sloter work with Theilen and Diggs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1169
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 12:15:44 PM   
marty

My only disappointment with Sloter so far was his not making a play on 4th down and goal in the one game he lost.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1170
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 12:34:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If he can't play well when it isn't improvised that's a problem.

He needs to step it up to show he can play well when structured than excel when the time to improvise presents itself.

If he plays well, he plays well.
Post #: 1171
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:21:32 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know.

We went with Griffen over Allen when Jared just had an 11 sack year.

Hunter over Robison

O'Neill over Hill

I'm sure Diggs was ready before that game but we weren't going to cut him.

Trying to think of someone this regime didn't give a chance who went on to be a solid player/star. Justin Coleman? Patterson? Exum? Carlson?

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 4/9/2019 1:25:25 PM >
Post #: 1172
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:41:13 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know.

Hunter over Robison

O'Neill over Hill

Trying to think of someone this regime didn't give a chance who went on to be a solid player/star. Justin Coleman? Patterson? Exum? Carlson?

They let Allen finish out his contract at $17 million when he was clearly near the end of his albeit awesome career. They let Robison finish out too. These aren't good examples. In regards to O'Neill over hill -

O'Neill was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the second round (62nd overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft.[8][9] He entered the season as a backup tackle behind starters Riley Reiff and Rashod Hill. He made his first career start in Week 6 at right tackle after Rashod Hill was moved to left tackle in place of an injured Riley Reiff. He maintained that starting role the rest of the season over Hill after Reiff returned from injury to play left tackle.

Once again - it took an injury.

Post #: 1173
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:46:53 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know.

Hunter over Robison

O'Neill over Hill

They let Allen finish out his contract at $17 million when he was clearly near the end of his albeit awesome career. They let Robison finish out too. These aren't good examples. In regards to O'Neill over hill -

O'Neill was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the second round (62nd overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft.[8][9] He entered the season as a backup tackle behind starters Riley Reiff and Rashod Hill. He made his first career start in Week 6 at right tackle after Rashod Hill was moved to left tackle in place of an injured Riley Reiff. He maintained that starting role the rest of the season over Hill after Reiff returned from injury to play left tackle.

Once again - it took an injury.

So you are saying we would have cut Diggs if Johnson and Wright didn't get injured. Crazy talk.
Post #: 1174
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:47:49 PM   
David F.

Adam Thielen

2015 season
In 2015, Thielen was honored as the Vikings Special Teams Player of the Year. His seven special teams tackles ranked tied for second on the team. In Week 4, he hauled in a career-high six passes for 70 yards in a road game at the eventual Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos.[24] In the regular season finale road game against the Green Bay Packers on January 3, 2016 for the NFC North division, the Vikings executed a fake punt during the first drive of the game in which Thielen ran for 41 yards. He carried the ball another time for 26 yards, totaling 67 yards on two carries that tied for second in Vikings history for rushing yards in a game by a wide receiver with the effort. He also added a 16-yard catch as the Vikings ultimately clinched the NFC North title.[25] Thielen finished the season with 12 catches for 144 yards with a long of 30.[26]

2016 season
In the second preseason game, an 18–11 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, Thielen led all Vikings receivers with four catches for 61 yards. With Stefon Diggs sidelined due to a groin injury, Thielen received the starting nod in his place and had one of the best performances of his career against the Houston Texans, breaking 100 receiving yards in a game for the first time in his career as he finished the game with seven catches for 127 yards and a touchdown.[27] In the Vikings' loss to the Washington Redskins in Week 10, Thielen caught his second touchdown of the season on a 3-yard toss from Sam Bradford and also carried the ball once for 11 yards.[28] Thielen had a career-day on December 24, 2016 in a Week 16 loss to the Green Bay Packers with a 202-yard, two touchdown performance at Lambeau Field.[29] His performance was just the fifth 200-yard receiving performance in Vikings history, and the third that saw a Vikings receiver have at least 200 yards receiving and two touchdowns. He had the most receiving yards by a Viking since Percy Harvin in 2011. Thielen needed only 40 yards receiving in the Week 17 Chicago Bears game to hit 1,000 yards on the season, and only once in the previous six games had he been held under 50 yards. However, he was targeted only once for a seven-yard gain to finish the season with 967 yards, giving the Vikings their first pair of Vikings receivers with 900 yards each since Randy Moss and Cris Carter accomplished the feat.[30][31]

After having entered the 2016 season as an underdog, Thielen ended up leading the Vikings with 967 receiving yards, while also adding a career-high 69 catches and five touchdowns.[32][33] His 10.0 yards per target and 75.0% catch rate ranked in the top five players among NFL wide receivers.[34] Thielen dropped only two passes on 92 targets according to Sporting Charts, and Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 18th best receiver in the league.[35] For his efforts, NFL.com named Thielen as their "Unsung Hero" for the Minnesota Vikings.[36]

Post #: 1175
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode