Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:51:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Adam Thielen

2015 season
In 2015, Thielen was honored as the Vikings Special Teams Player of the Year. His seven special teams tackles ranked tied for second on the team. In Week 4, he hauled in a career-high six passes for 70 yards in a road game at the eventual Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos.[24] In the regular season finale road game against the Green Bay Packers on January 3, 2016 for the NFC North division, the Vikings executed a fake punt during the first drive of the game in which Thielen ran for 41 yards. He carried the ball another time for 26 yards, totaling 67 yards on two carries that tied for second in Vikings history for rushing yards in a game by a wide receiver with the effort. He also added a 16-yard catch as the Vikings ultimately clinched the NFC North title.[25] Thielen finished the season with 12 catches for 144 yards with a long of 30.[26]

2016 season
In the second preseason game, an 18–11 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, Thielen led all Vikings receivers with four catches for 61 yards. With Stefon Diggs sidelined due to a groin injury, Thielen received the starting nod in his place and had one of the best performances of his career against the Houston Texans, breaking 100 receiving yards in a game for the first time in his career as he finished the game with seven catches for 127 yards and a touchdown.[27] In the Vikings' loss to the Washington Redskins in Week 10, Thielen caught his second touchdown of the season on a 3-yard toss from Sam Bradford and also carried the ball once for 11 yards.[28] Thielen had a career-day on December 24, 2016 in a Week 16 loss to the Green Bay Packers with a 202-yard, two touchdown performance at Lambeau Field.[29] His performance was just the fifth 200-yard receiving performance in Vikings history, and the third that saw a Vikings receiver have at least 200 yards receiving and two touchdowns. He had the most receiving yards by a Viking since Percy Harvin in 2011. Thielen needed only 40 yards receiving in the Week 17 Chicago Bears game to hit 1,000 yards on the season, and only once in the previous six games had he been held under 50 yards. However, he was targeted only once for a seven-yard gain to finish the season with 967 yards, giving the Vikings their first pair of Vikings receivers with 900 yards each since Randy Moss and Cris Carter accomplished the feat.[30][31]

After having entered the 2016 season as an underdog, Thielen ended up leading the Vikings with 967 receiving yards, while also adding a career-high 69 catches and five touchdowns.[32][33] His 10.0 yards per target and 75.0% catch rate ranked in the top five players among NFL wide receivers.[34] Thielen dropped only two passes on 92 targets according to Sporting Charts, and Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 18th best receiver in the league.[35] For his efforts, NFL.com named Thielen as their "Unsung Hero" for the Minnesota Vikings.[36]

Don't forget Belichek/Bledsoe/Brady
Post #: 1176
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:51:58 PM   
David F.

quote:

So you are saying we would have cut Diggs if Johnson and Wright didn't get injured. Crazy talk.

I'm saying:

Another problem is that the Vikings have a history of only discovering the talent of their non-starters when the starter gets injured. What if Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright hadn't been injured for the game at Denver in 2015? There may have never been a Minneapolis Miracle.

Under-used or un-used is a mistake. Not as big as 'getting cut' which hasn't been mentioned by anyone but you - but still a mistake. What in the heck exactly do ALL those coaches do? Pick starters then put blinders on and go forward? Seems like it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 1177
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 1:54:33 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Adam Thielen

2015 season
In 2015, Thielen was honored as the Vikings Special Teams Player of the Year. His seven special teams tackles ranked tied for second on the team. In Week 4, he hauled in a career-high six passes for 70 yards in a road game at the eventual Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos.[24] In the regular season finale road game against the Green Bay Packers on January 3, 2016 for the NFC North division, the Vikings executed a fake punt during the first drive of the game in which Thielen ran for 41 yards. He carried the ball another time for 26 yards, totaling 67 yards on two carries that tied for second in Vikings history for rushing yards in a game by a wide receiver with the effort. He also added a 16-yard catch as the Vikings ultimately clinched the NFC North title.[25] Thielen finished the season with 12 catches for 144 yards with a long of 30.[26]

2016 season
In the second preseason game, an 18–11 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, Thielen led all Vikings receivers with four catches for 61 yards. With Stefon Diggs sidelined due to a groin injury, Thielen received the starting nod in his place and had one of the best performances of his career against the Houston Texans, breaking 100 receiving yards in a game for the first time in his career as he finished the game with seven catches for 127 yards and a touchdown.[27] In the Vikings' loss to the Washington Redskins in Week 10, Thielen caught his second touchdown of the season on a 3-yard toss from Sam Bradford and also carried the ball once for 11 yards.[28] Thielen had a career-day on December 24, 2016 in a Week 16 loss to the Green Bay Packers with a 202-yard, two touchdown performance at Lambeau Field.[29] His performance was just the fifth 200-yard receiving performance in Vikings history, and the third that saw a Vikings receiver have at least 200 yards receiving and two touchdowns. He had the most receiving yards by a Viking since Percy Harvin in 2011. Thielen needed only 40 yards receiving in the Week 17 Chicago Bears game to hit 1,000 yards on the season, and only once in the previous six games had he been held under 50 yards. However, he was targeted only once for a seven-yard gain to finish the season with 967 yards, giving the Vikings their first pair of Vikings receivers with 900 yards each since Randy Moss and Cris Carter accomplished the feat.[30][31]

After having entered the 2016 season as an underdog, Thielen ended up leading the Vikings with 967 receiving yards, while also adding a career-high 69 catches and five touchdowns.[32][33] His 10.0 yards per target and 75.0% catch rate ranked in the top five players among NFL wide receivers.[34] Thielen dropped only two passes on 92 targets according to Sporting Charts, and Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 18th best receiver in the league.[35] For his efforts, NFL.com named Thielen as their "Unsung Hero" for the Minnesota Vikings.[36]

Do you have any idea what caliber of players the Patriots have traded away, let go, or benched in favor of someone they thought was better or some combination of cheaper/better? They wrote the book on that. Ask Richard Seymour.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 1178
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 4:36:51 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

So you are saying we would have cut Diggs if Johnson and Wright didn't get injured. Crazy talk.

I'm saying:

Another problem is that the Vikings have a history of only discovering the talent of their non-starters when the starter gets injured. What if Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright hadn't been injured for the game at Denver in 2015? There may have never been a Minneapolis Miracle.

Under-used or un-used is a mistake. Not as big as 'getting cut' which hasn't been mentioned by anyone but you - but still a mistake. What in the heck exactly do ALL those coaches do? Pick starters then put blinders on and go forward? Seems like it.

I always wondered what our "plan" was with Bridgewater if not for Cassel getting injured.

We're obviously not the only team with this ultra conservative approach, but often times it seems we are so afraid of allowing our young guys to make a mistake, while the experienced veterans enjoy a very long leash.
Post #: 1179
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 4:53:40 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

I'm saying:

I always wondered what our "plan" was with Bridgewater if not for Cassel getting injured.

We're obviously not the only team with this ultra conservative approach, but often times it seems we are so afraid of allowing our young guys to make a mistake, while the experienced veterans enjoy a very long leash.

It’s not only the starter. The Siemian signing just to have a “experienced” backup was bizarre to me for this very reason.

Siemian has continued to show his knack of being ultimately absurdly average to poor. I guess happy we didn’t have to see him play.
Post #: 1180
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 5:01:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Vikings coaches holding starters too long = Vikings fans holding washed up players too long (Greenway, Robison)
Post #: 1181
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 5:32:12 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I'm saying:

I guess I took that 'there would be no Minneapolis Miracle' as him not being on the team.
Post #: 1182
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 5:34:10 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Adam Thielen

2015 season

2016 season

Do you have any idea what caliber of players the Patriots have traded away, let go, or benched in favor of someone they thought was better or some combination of cheaper/better? They wrote the book on that. Ask Richard Seymour.

I'm just cherry picking one instance where they kept playing a decent player instead of a HOFer until an injury took place.
Post #: 1183
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 5:36:17 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm saying:

Like Sherels.
Post #: 1184
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 6:37:27 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm saying:

I guess I took that 'there would be no Minneapolis Miracle' as him not being on the team.

On the bench. He would have been on the bench. Maybe Keenum would have thrown it to Michael Floyd or LaQuon Treadwell.

Post #: 1185
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 8:52:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A pass rusher becomes a Viking.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/vikings-adding-aaf-pass-rusher-karter-schult/

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 1186
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/9/2019 11:50:47 PM   
JT2

I think it's important for an organization to recognize their weakness, and learn. Our history with QB's is pretty awful. We haven't drafted or developed ANY. We chase. You can love the Favre acquisition all you want, how much did we spend for his second year here, was it worth it? Nobody talks about that. How much did we pay him for that invisible year?

We held on to Ponder like we hold on to Treadwell. Some people in the know think we wanted John Manziel. Bridgewater was a consolation prize, and the only reason he took the field is because Cassel became injured.

I love that we were aggressive and signed Cousins. Bold move. I applaud it.

But wouldn't it be nice if we could actually recognize, draft and develop a QB?
Post #: 1187
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/10/2019 9:31:10 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I think it's important for an organization to recognize their weakness, and learn. Our history with QB's is pretty awful. We haven't drafted or developed ANY. We chase. You can love the Favre acquisition all you want, how much did we spend for his second year here, was it worth it? Nobody talks about that. How much did we pay him for that invisible year?

We held on to Ponder like we hold on to Treadwell. Some people in the know think we wanted John Manziel. Bridgewater was a consolation prize, and the only reason he took the field is because Cassel became injured.

I love that we were aggressive and signed Cousins. Bold move. I applaud it.

But wouldn't it be nice if we could actually recognize, draft and develop a QB?

Maybe with the Kubiaks in the building, we take a guy in the 4th (Thorson, Jackson) and develop him. Or maybe my homer pick Easton Stick in the 6th.
Post #: 1188
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/10/2019 1:17:33 PM   
Bill Jandro

It's actually amazing how Spielman still has a job. Horror show of QB's and Oline picks.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1189
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/10/2019 4:02:51 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

It's actually amazing how Spielman still has a job. Horror show of QB's and Oline picks.

I agree about Spielman's shortcomings. Zimmer's 47-31-1 record may be the main reason Spielman has survived.
Post #: 1190
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/10/2019 4:53:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Can't argue the OL part. But Spielman has put together a good team. A good enough team. Besides, what has there been in the last 20 years...3 QB's that teams drafted and went on to win a SB with. That is legit drafted a franchise QB. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning. 4 if you count Flacco.

Culpepper and Teddy were our only legit stabs at finding a franchise QB. Both had a lot of pluses and both had bad breaks alter their career paths.

I guess you could say he hasn't lucked into a mid to late round franchise QB...few have.

Ready.
Post #: 1191
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 1:09:58 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Vikings Corner@VikingsCorner
The #Vikings have signed two more former AAF players: DB Jordan Martin and LB Greer Martini. Martin tallied 17 tackles, four passes defensed and an INT with the San Diego Fleet. Martini had 55 tackles, a sack and an INT during eight games with the Salt Lake Stallions.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1192
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 1:19:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I wonder how many players are on the off-season roster, now. Is it close to 70? Isn't the limit 90 come training camp start time? I guess there's no problem with too many players even with the draft coming and the undrafted rookies coming, too. I like the signing of these players who are hungry to catch on and haven't given up.

Post #: 1193
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 10:15:19 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Vikings Corner@VikingsCorner
The #Vikings have signed two more former AAF players: DB Jordan Martin and LB Greer Martini. Martin tallied 17 tackles, four passes defensed and an INT with the San Diego Fleet. Martini had 55 tackles, a sack and an INT during eight games with the Salt Lake Stallions.

Frankly I'd prefer a Martini.

O-Line or bust.
Fix it Spielman!!
Post #: 1194
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 10:40:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I wonder how many players are on the off-season roster, now. Is it close to 70? Isn't the limit 90 come training camp start time? I guess there's no problem with too many players even with the draft coming and the undrafted rookies coming, too. I like the signing of these players who are hungry to catch on and haven't given up.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1195
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 11:40:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

There may be some players released before mini camps, but I believe that means the team can add 22 draft picks and undrafted players. That is still quite a few. It looks like they don't have the money for a single additional cheaper free agent, but who knows.

Post #: 1196
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 6:38:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Can't argue the OL part. But Spielman has put together a good team. A good enough team. Besides, what has there been in the last 20 years...3 QB's that teams drafted and went on to win a SB with. That is legit drafted a franchise QB. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning. 4 if you count Flacco.

Culpepper and Teddy were our only legit stabs at finding a franchise QB. Both had a lot of pluses and both had bad breaks alter their career paths.

I guess you could say he hasn't lucked into a mid to late round franchise QB...few have.

Ponder

Post #: 1197
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/11/2019 7:05:58 PM   
Todd M

Ready.
Post #: 1198
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/12/2019 4:45:59 PM   
David Levine

Texans sign OT Matt Kalil (1 year, $7.5 million; $2.25 million guaranteed): D Grade

Here's another signing from March which took forever for the contract details to be revealed. They're out now, and even though I'm staring at the numbers on Spotrac, I can't quite believe them.

I understand that the Texans are desperate for offensive line help, but I don't get why they'd give Matt Kalil this much money. Kalil was one of the worst tackles in the NFL in 2017 and beforehand, and then he missed all of this past season with a knee injury. There's no indication that Kalil, 30 in July, will ever live up to his billing as the No. 4 overall pick from the 2012 NFL Draft, and there's not even a guarantee that he's completely healthy.

Had the Texans signed Kalil to a 1-year deal for the veteran minimum, I would've been fine with it. But they gave him more than $2 million in guarantees, which is just absurd. This isn't quite "F" territory, but it's close.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
Post #: 1199
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 4/12/2019 6:08:26 PM   
Bill Jandro

Kalil is approaching Bradford theft amounts

Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode