Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Steve Lentz
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:02:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/2019-senior-bowl-day-1-south-practice-notes

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 26
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:04:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/2019-senior-bowl-day-1-north-practice-notes

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 27
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:06:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Senior Bowl, yeah the practices and drills may decide tie-breakers.

But a lot of the better players are underclassmen anyway.
Post #: 28
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:06:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/17/senior-bowl-positional-preview-interior-offensive-line/

Post #: 29
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:09:33 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Andre Dillard/OT/Washington State: Dillard was good on Wednesday but took it to another level Thursday. He had the best footwork of any offensive tackle in attendance at the Senior Bowl and showed the ability to quickly get off the edge. He blocks with great fundamentals and uses his hands extremely well. Dillard lined up on both the left and right sides, and while he must improve his run-blocking strength, he showed the stuff of a potential next-level starter.

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-day-3-0

Post #: 30
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:14:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking at Walter Footballs capsule on Dillard, it looks like he is more of an athletic type rather than a mauler type. I bet he's on our teams radar big time.

Post #: 31
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/25/2019 6:55:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Wondering about a scenario where OL BPA is a tackle, a highly rated OT that can't play OG.

Seems we are so bad in the interior we almost have to go there. But if we signed a decent FA G and drafted another G in the second, I could see going OT but would still have a lingering suspicion the interior isn't fixed.

But a future with say Greg Little and O'Neill at T. Hmmm....
Post #: 32
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 8:59:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817460-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-insider-buzz-from-2019-senior-bowl-week

Post #: 33
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 9:02:10 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm sure the Vikings are just evaluating players, right now. (not plotting draft priorities or strategies)

Post #: 34
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 10:32:36 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Wondering about a scenario where OL BPA is a tackle, a highly rated OT that can't play OG.

Seems we are so bad in the interior we almost have to go there. But if we signed a decent FA G and drafted another G in the second, I could see going OT but would still have a lingering suspicion the interior isn't fixed.

We absolutely need to add two interior OL in FA who can credibly start---at a minimum---which makes the above moot. There is no guarantee even the best OL in the draft will be ready to start effectively from Day 1, so hoping a good one is available at 18 or beyond is folly. We failed to do it last year and ended up with sub-starter play at all three interior OL positions, and ended up suckers in an 11th-hour deal with the Giants for a guy who was worse than the above.

Waiting until the draft to address these voids is folly.
Post #: 35
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 10:32:43 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

If it is a no brainer, you take the OT. Rieff had his troubles last year.
Post #: 36
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 1:03:55 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

We absolutely need to add two interior OL in FA who can credibly start---at a minimum---which makes the above moot. There is no guarantee even the best OL in the draft will be ready to start effectively from Day 1, so hoping a good one is available at 18 or beyond is folly. We failed to do it last year and ended up with sub-starter play at all three interior OL positions, and ended up suckers in an 11th-hour deal with the Giants for a guy who was worse than the above.

The key is just what you say here Bob. Address this in FA, unlike last years haul of Tom Compton.

Then your draft opens up quite a bit. I wouldn’t even discount a very good center with the intention of moving Elf to Guard.

But again we cannot come out of Free agency empty handed as it relates to the OLine again.
Post #: 37
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 5:15:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A number of offensive linemen (mostly or all OT's though) on this list. Good to see that there must be a lot of options for our team.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/26/10-biggest-winners-of-senior-bowl-week/?/push

Post #: 38
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 10:59:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I mentioned that I thought the Vikings will be all over Dillard and Brooks selects him for our team. It's interesting to note how the draft has a lot of DT's going high in the draft. If we don't re-sign Richardson we certainly will have options in the draft. I mean, it could be a nap kind of choice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001013277/article/bucky-brooks-2019-nfl-mock-draft-10-pats-among-4-to-pick-qb

Post #: 39
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/26/2019 11:03:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

More on Dillard with an impressive video clip.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com//buffalo-bills/2019/01/senior-bowl-2019-andre-dillard-went-from-hating-football-to-obsessing-about-it.html

Post #: 40
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 7:16:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Quite a few of these quarterbacks will be available for the Vikings. Not for me, at least in the early rounds.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/26/what-we-learned-about-every-senior-bowl-quarterback/?/push

Post #: 41
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 2:44:36 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We need a third receiver and Penny Hart reminds me of Stefon Diggs. I do believe he will be available to select on day three. (Like Diggs was) Anyway, check out his video clip at this page.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/27/senior-bowl-wide-receiver-pro-comparisons/?/push

Post #: 42
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 2:55:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Wow. Just wow.

The proverbial subscriber to 'free agency will solve our woes', I thought those people became extinct in the late 80s (except Jeff Snyder). Along with the philosophy of pretending we are the only team in free agency AND we have an unlimited cap.

Hell, why not say we "absolutely need" to add THREE interior OL who are all above to well above average players, and anything else is accepting mediocrity?!!

And yes, who wants to wait for the draft to fill needs. I say we absolutely need to sign THREE OL, TWO WR, and a partridge in a pair tree... the first day of free agency. Only the best for us.
Post #: 43
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 2:58:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

The key is just what you say here Bob. Address this in FA, unlike last years haul of Tom Compton.

Then your draft opens up quite a bit. I wouldn’t even discount a very good center with the intention of moving Elf to Guard.

But again we cannot come out of Free agency empty handed as it relates to the OLine again.

So, you too for the 'sign a minimum of two starting interior OL'?

I suspect the pool of candidates is shallow, and will get shallower as many resign. But to give you the benefit of the doubt for now, who do we "need" to sign?
Post #: 44
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 2:59:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

A number of offensive linemen (mostly or all OT's though) on this list. Good to see that there must be a lot of options for our team.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/26/10-biggest-winners-of-senior-bowl-week/?/push

Nope. OL will be addressed in free agency.
Post #: 45
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 3:05:03 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

After our incredible free agency foray, you know because Minny is where every top FA aches to go AND we have the most cap to spend among any team, I will feel relieved knowing we will have filled our "needs" and really the entire draft will be comprised of 'luxury picks'.

No folly for us! LUXURY BPA ALL THE WAY!

The lap of luxury. Even real Corinthian leather.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/27/2019 3:06:30 PM >
Post #: 46
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 7:25:13 PM   
bohumm

Matt Paradis (we may have an inside track with the Bronco Express having come into town) and one other credible (I never even said above average) would help us bridge past failings to future development. Then do need-weighted BPA (fast TE, OG, OT, coverage-capable LB) in the first two to three rounds and pure BPA according to the team's board the rest of the way.

Fill HOLES in FA with players who can credibly fill those holes or reach for need and thereby blow the draft. We have two holes on the interior of the OL, and that's assuming one of Elflein or Easton can credibly fill the other spot.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 1/27/2019 7:29:08 PM >
Post #: 47
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 7:35:22 PM   
Dana Turner

I believe the Vikings will probably trade out of the 18th spot, maybe get a high second and take the TE out of Iowa, not the Fant kid, but the Hockenson kid.

I'm hoping that the Vikings get either Matt Paradis or maybe Mitch Morris to come play center for us in Free Agency. Elf needs a solid year in a strength program and he needs to be moved to guard. He'd be perfect for a zone blocking guard, but he must get a lot stronger to be an effective pass blocker at any position.

If we have two second rounders and take the aforementioned TE with the first one, we get the best OL guy left that fits the scheme we are going for in 2019. With Kubiak and those guys helping the offense, I am thinking it will be a zone type running scheme, which only makes sense with Cook back there.

With the third round pick you probably go LB then in the fourth you get the best available OL guy again and let them fight it out in camp. The Vikings might get lucky and get a healthy Nick Easton back, you never know. If so, there would be a pretty solid group fighting it out for starting positions. Rief isn't going anywhere, Remmers will be gone, give his money to whichever Center we can get, that leaves Easton, Elf and a couple of drafted guys for the two guard spots.

Draft a shifty small school receiver later in the draft to fight for the third WR spot, pick up a QB and another LB late and get to camp.

I'd sign Richardson, Harris, and let Griff renegotiate. Say goodbye to Rudy, Sendejo, Barr and Waynes or Rhodes (trade him if you are going to stay with Waynes)

I give Zim one last chance to prove he is more than just a solid defensive mind. Personally, I don't think he's a good head coach, but I'm willing to give him one more year, especially with the coaching staff he has assembled now. If the Vikings can become a team with fire and attitude that you expect from a team with such a great history, then fine, but if they are the flat teams that Zimmer has been sending out to start games the past couple of years, get rid of his ass and get someone in there while we still have time with the core we have.

< Message edited by Dana Turner -- 1/27/2019 11:00:37 PM >
Post #: 48
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 8:00:39 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

I believe the Vikings will probably trade out of the 18th spot, maybe get a high second and take the TE out of Iowa, not the Fant kid, but the Hockenson kid.

I'm hoping that the Vikings get either Matt Paradis or maybe Mitch Morris to come play center for us in Free Agency. Elf needs a solid year in a strength program and he needs to be moved to guard. He'd be perfect for a zone blocking guard, but he must get a lot stronger to be an effective pass blocker at any position.

If we have two second rounders and take the aforementioned TE with the first one, we get the best OL guy left that fits the scheme we are going for in 2019. With Kubiak and those guys helping the offense, I am thinking it will be a zone type running scheme, which only makes sense with Cook back there.

With the third round pick you probably go LB then in the fourth you get the best available OL guy again and let them fight it out in camp. The Vikings might get lucky and get a healthy Nick Easton back, you never know. If so, there would be a pretty solid group fighting it out for starting positions. Rief isn't going anywhere, Remmers will be gone, give his money to whichever Center we can get, that leaves Easton, Elf and a couple of drafted guys for the two guard spots.

Draft a shifty small school receiver later in the to fight for the third WR spot, pick up a QB and another LB late and get to camp.

I'd sign Richardson, Harris, and let Griff renegotiate. Say goodbye to Rudy, Sendejo, Barr and Waynes or Rhodes (trade him if you are going to stay with Waynes)

I give Zim one last chance to prove he is more than just a solid defensive mind. Personally, I don't think he's a good head coach, but I'm willing to give him one more year, especially with the coaching staff he has assembled now. If the Vikings can become a team with fire and attitude that you expect from a team with such a great history, then fine, but if they are the flat teams that Zimmer has been sending out to start games the past couple of years, get rid of his ass and get someone in there while we still have time with the core we have.

Dana, I'm assuming we've still got a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick you're not accounting for in your scenario?
Post #: 49
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 1/27/2019 10:57:24 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

Draft a shifty small school receiver later in the to fight for the third WR spot, pick up a QB and another LB late and get to camp.

Dana, I'm assuming we've still got a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick you're not accounting for in your scenario?

Yep, in the first sentence I say that if we can trade our 18th and get a high second I would take the TE, Hockenson. Not sure what else would come with the trade, but it would be later in the draft, probably a fourth, maybe a third, not sure. But with our second rounder, #50 I believe, I'd take the best OL guy suited for our run scheme projection. So, two second round picks and whatever else Rick gets.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode