Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 1:21:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

2019 NFL Draft: Four players who could be first-round surprises
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026635/article/2019-nfl-draft-four-players-who-could-be-firstround-surprises

Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Drafting Howard in the first round would be, in the words of one NFC executive, "really ballsy." But the upside is tantalizing on a high school quarterback who arrived at an HBCU as a tight end, then converted to offensive line, where he's still putting on weight and learning the finer points of the position.

Howard showed well in his two opportunities against top-level competition, last season against Auburn and at the Senior Bowl in January. He has the traits to play the premium left tackle spot, in a year when not many of those guys are near the top of draft boards. Some feel Howard could play right tackle or guard, as well.

"Great kid. Smart and can pick things up. Good worker," an NFC scout said. "Can get his pads a little high at times. Good strength to drive defenders off the ball. Needs to clean up his technique and finish. Has all the size and athletic tools to get better."

The number of teams giving Howard extra attention is one reason there's growing talk in draft rooms that someone might take a chance early. By draft day, Howard will have visited and/or had a private workout with 24 franchises, including the Redskins, Rams and Jets this week, a source said, with the Jaguars planning to send a contingent to see him once Howard returns to campus.

Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College

His name hasn't been discussed as much as the draft's other top linemen, but teams will be surprised at this point if Lindstrom doesn't go in the first round -- perhaps even in the top 20, thanks to his athletic ability, smarts and versatility. He helped himself with a solid Senior Bowl week. Some believe he can play center, too.

"He's one of those guys that it's not a sexy pick, but he'll end up playing eight to 10 years and just be a steady, good pro," an NFC personnel director said.

There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago and the same thing may well happen here, with N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Texas A&M center Erik McCoy and maybe even Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins in the mix, as well.
Post #: 976
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 2:18:43 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026635/article/2019-nfl-draft-four-players-who-could-be-firstround-surprises

Drafting Howard in the first round would be, in the words of one NFC executive, "really ballsy." But the upside is tantalizing on a high school quarterback who arrived at an HBCU as a tight end, then converted to offensive line, where he's still putting on weight and learning the finer points of the position.

Howard showed well in his two opportunities against top-level competition, last season against Auburn and at the Senior Bowl in January. He has the traits to play the premium left tackle spot, in a year when not many of those guys are near the top of draft boards. Some feel Howard could play right tackle or guard, as well.

"Great kid. Smart and can pick things up. Good worker," an NFC scout said. "Can get his pads a little high at times. Good strength to drive defenders off the ball. Needs to clean up his technique and finish. Has all the size and athletic tools to get better."

The number of teams giving Howard extra attention is one reason there's growing talk in draft rooms that someone might take a chance early. By draft day, Howard will have visited and/or had a private workout with 24 franchises, including the Redskins, Rams and Jets this week, a source said, with the Jaguars planning to send a contingent to see him once Howard returns to campus.

His name hasn't been discussed as much as the draft's other top linemen, but teams will be surprised at this point if Lindstrom doesn't go in the first round -- perhaps even in the top 20, thanks to his athletic ability, smarts and versatility. He helped himself with a solid Senior Bowl week. Some believe he can play center, too.

"He's one of those guys that it's not a sexy pick, but he'll end up playing eight to 10 years and just be a steady, good pro," an NFC personnel director said.

There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago and the same thing may well happen here, with N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Texas A&M center Erik McCoy and maybe even Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins in the mix, as well.

It's stories like that that make me hope they stay put at 18 and take the top lineman on their board. Don't get too cute, not worth the risk. The last thing I want to hear is they drop back several spots for an extra 4th rounder, two linemen get picked before they're up, and Spielman later says in his press conference that they had three guys equally rated at 18 so it didn't matter.
Post #: 977
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 2:42:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

That was a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I was interested in the situation of Simmons, too. He's supposed to be a top ten talent, but he may or may not be selected in the first round. In the end of the round are teams who are "hopeful" that they can go all of the way. It would be hard for them to sacrifice their precious first round pick for a red shirt player. One exception might be Oakland which has Chicago's pick near the end of the round and which has enough picks where they might feel they can use one for the investment long term. The other team that has a late pick not their own is Green Bay. I believe Green Bay thinks that they are always in the hunt for a Super Bowl because of Rodgers, but I do remember them being the ones to draft Aaron Rodgers even though they has Bret Favre. (different GM, though now) The last remote possibility might be the Patriots, just because they are sort of mavericks with how they do their draft and obviously it has worked for them. They often trade out of the first round and perhaps they might do it again with a team that wants to move up for Simmons. The trade up scenario makes the most sense to me for him.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 978
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 3:12:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm not sure this link will work, but it's another "board" list with the top 40 players by Luke Inman.

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/uncategorized/2019-zone-coverage-draft-guide-luke-inmans-top-40-players/

Post #: 979
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 9:43:04 PM   
Murph

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/ravens-get-dk-metcalf-22-nfl-draft-preview-picks-17-24

Would love it if it falls this way.

We get my current favorite at 18, Dillard.

Purple Dynasty!
Post #: 980
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 10:39:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I don't know if this was already posted. Maybe. They suggest a trade for the Vikes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26539614/all-trades-2019-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-proposes-32-wild-deals

Not all the way down to 29 to get pick 63. Not worth that at all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 981
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 11:41:24 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I don't know if this was already posted. Maybe. They suggest a trade for the Vikes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26539614/all-trades-2019-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-proposes-32-wild-deals

Seems fair. If one of the OL we covet is still there at 29, but you never know. We could package that and our 3rd for about the 10th pick in the 2nd round
Post #: 982
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 1:00:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

According to the trade value chart, we could package our #50 and #63 for another first round selection. (kind of like what we did for Patterson) I'm with you, though. We want to see some talent on the offensive line. There may be a run on them through the first round like last year when we had to wait until pick #30.

Post #: 983
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 11:49:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

According to the trade value chart, we could package our #50 and #63 for another first round selection. (kind of like what we did for Patterson) I'm with you, though. We want to see some talent on the offensive line. There may be a run on them through the first round like last year when we had to wait until pick #30.

To me it likely that all the truly quality OL will be gone by 29. Sure there will be OK players later, but we need the stud. The guy who can come in as a rookie and make an impact.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 984
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 6:36:24 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

We need to find a mick tinglehoff and Ed white with some kind of John randle clone thrown in...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
https://www.gofundme.com/save-rylee-nicole-from-foster-adoption
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 985
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 6:36:56 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Cost peanuts...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
https://www.gofundme.com/save-rylee-nicole-from-foster-adoption
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 986
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 7:09:12 PM   
Bill Jandro

There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago

Not sure if 2 G's picked at 20 and 21 constitutes a run. But if everyone keeps repeating it I guess it becomes gospel.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 987
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 8:37:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago

Not sure if 2 G's picked at 20 and 21 constitutes a run. But if everyone keeps repeating it I guess it becomes gospel.

Add to that an OT and a C and there were 4 offensive linemen taken between the 15th and 23rd picks. (two before that) The player that was still on the board that I wanted was Mike Daniels, who was later picked by the Bears. I think he did well to help the Bears play better on offense.

Post #: 988
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 8:48:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It looks like there four offensive linemen taken within the first seven picks of the second round, so that was a second little run after we selected Hughes. O'Neil was the sixth offensive lineman taken in the second round so it turned out that O'Neil was the 12th offensive lineman over all taken in the draft. It felt like it really hurt to be selecting so late in the rounds, but fortunately O'Neil turned out better than a lot of the players selected ahead of him.

Post #: 989
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 10:58:38 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To me it likely that all the truly quality OL will be gone by 29. Sure there will be OK players later, but we need the stud. The guy who can come in as a rookie and make an impact.

No problem, the 50th and 63rd picks will get us back to the 28th pick.
Post #: 990
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/18/2019 11:17:39 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

We need to find a mick tinglehoff and Ed white with some kind of John randle clone thrown in...

I love those guys, but I'd take Milt Sunde and Grady Alderman, too. Especially if Yary is already in the fold.......
Post #: 991
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 7:04:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Add to that an OT and a C and there were 4 offensive linemen taken between the 15th and 23rd picks. (two before that) The player that was still on the board that I wanted was Mike Daniels, who was later picked by the Bears. I think he did well to help the Bears play better on offense.

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

Post #: 992
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 12:00:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

How did those guys turn out. I'm pretty sure Nelson was considered great. How about the guy Hernandez who many of us clamored for at pick 30 myself included. I think if Dillard or Williams are available at pick 18 we have to take whoever it is. I don't care if Hockenson or Oliver are available.
If the best option is Ford or Bradbury we can consider another position. Hockenson might improve our line and receiving with one pick. That's the way I see it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 993
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 12:10:10 PM   
David Levine

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
Sources: #Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

9:21 AM - 19 Apr 2019
Post #: 994
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 2:22:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Paul Charchian is really high on the WR out of Iowa State. (Butler)

The first rounder will almost certainly be an offensive lineman. The second round pick is the most interesting to me. It will be a good player, but it could be at several positions. Butler is according to some worthy of first round consideration and would be a solid choice in the second round.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/19/2019 3:30:32 PM >

Post #: 995
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 3:53:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Paul Charchian is really high on the WR out of Iowa State. (Butler)

The first rounder will almost certainly be an offensive lineman. The second round pick is the most interesting to me. It will be a good player, but it could be at several positions. Butler is according to some worthy of first round consideration and would be a solid choice in the second round.

2nd pick needs to be either another OLineman or a stud defender(excluding CB and LB). I would consider Irv Smith or Sternberger.
Post #: 996
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 4:09:47 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

How did those guys turn out. I'm pretty sure Nelson was considered great. How about the guy Hernandez who many of us clamored for at pick 30 myself included. I think if Dillard or Williams are available at pick 18 we have to take whoever it is. I don't care if Hockenson or Oliver are available.
If the best option is Ford or Bradbury we can consider another position. Hockenson might improve our line and receiving with one pick. That's the way I see it.

Nelson I believe made 1st team all pro

The only negative reports I heard was in (repick of this draft) and both Ragnow and Price fell out of the 1st rd in favor of Hernandez and Daniels.

Yes we should have picked one them 2.

But the point of the post was why all the talking heads keep saying there was a run on interior lineman mid to late round last year. Evidence doesn't support it.

Post #: 997
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 4:52:54 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

The only negative reports I heard was in (repick of this draft) and both Ragnow and Price fell out of the 1st rd in favor of Hernandez and Daniels.

But the point of the post was why all the talking heads keep saying there was a run on interior lineman mid to late round last year. Evidence doesn't support it.

From what I gather, I think they didn't consider Hernandez a scheme fit. I agree I would have preferred Hernandez to Hughes. Said so at the time as did many others. The only consolation is that perhaps Spielman would not have picked O'Neil in the 2nd if he had picked OL in the first. So we ended up with one good O lineman and that's about all we likely were to get last year considering Spielman's modus operandi.
Post #: 998
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 6:43:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

From what I gather, I think they didn't consider Hernandez a scheme fit. I agree I would have preferred Hernandez to Hughes. Said so at the time as did many others. The only consolation is that perhaps Spielman would not have picked O'Neil in the 2nd if he had picked OL in the first. So we ended up with one good O lineman and that's about all we likely were to get last year considering Spielman's modus operandi.

Now I remember I wanted Daniels. I think Hughes was a good pick just bad luck with the injury . If we had picked Daniels who would we have picked round 2?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 999
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/19/2019 7:16:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1st rd OL 2018
6 G Nelson
9 OT McGlinchey
15 OT Miller
20 G/C Ragnow
21 G/C Price
23 OT Wynn

Shurmer (Giants) picked Hernandez and run the same scheme.

We should have picked Hernandez/Daniels and still picked O'Neal. Nothing wrong with double dipping to shore up the weak link on the team.

But I get your point regarding Spielman's thinking.

Post #: 1000
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode