Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Superbowl LIII

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Superbowl LIII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/3/2019 10:20:27 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

New England is a Machine.

Nothing seems to faze that organization.

Age, new players, coaches leaving, fines, scandals, injuries, salary cap...Nothing.

So wish the Vikings could pull this off...just once.

Just shows what a difference an organization makes.

That might have been the BEST defensive performance against Brady I have ever seen... and they still somehow manage to eek out a win... just unbelievable how resourceful they are.

True this. TOP difference in the first half, I was impressed they (Rams) held as long as they did. If they woulda had a better game plan for MVP of the game, it'd still be 3-3.

Goff not getting the ball sooner to Cooks cost them the game (maybe). Momentary confusion with Chung out and Rams had a chance to capitalize. They blew it.

Goff played better second half. He was gawd awful first half. Took some bad sacks.

Billichick is a genius. Looked like he overloaded the weaker side of the oline (right side) a lot.

Sullivan did not play well at all.

< Message edited by Pager -- 2/3/2019 10:22:08 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 26
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/3/2019 10:26:52 PM   
thebigo

Basically, the Patriots totally outplayed the Rams I don't know exactly why the game was as close as it was. Some ill advised INTs and misssed FGs I guesss
Post #: 27
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/3/2019 10:33:39 PM   
thebigo

l had the Patriots 31-23 so it is is what it is
Post #: 28
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 12:43:30 AM   
David F.

What a game! Sadly, I feel like Mike Zimmer wouldn't have stood a chance against either coach. Bring in Tony Romo.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 29
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 7:25:10 AM   
Bill Jandro

NE defense was outstanding esp front 7

Appeared he was sending 5 the whole game.

Ram oline wet the bed along with Goff

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 30
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 7:26:50 AM   
Bill Jandro

If Foles was on Eagles when we traded for Bradford Spiels got the wrong guy

Post #: 31
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 9:21:20 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The #1 thing I love about Bilechick is that he doesn't 'outsmart' himself - ever. If he thinks pressure will work and the game starts and by golly it's working - he won't stop doing it just because of 'balance' or 'thinking the opponent will adjust' or what have you. He'll do it until it doesn't work - and THEN he'll move on to the next phase he already thought about.

With Zimmer it seems like he gets something working (double A gap blitz for example) but then shuts it down on his own for no reason other than perhaps he thinks a 'smart' NFL coach shouldn't do the same thing too often or for fear that the opponent will figure it out. Hey! Maybe they won't figure it out at all or at worst at least wait until they figure it out and then be ready for the next counterpunch.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 32
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 9:50:04 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

What a game! Sadly, I feel like Mike Zimmer wouldn't have stood a chance against either coach. Bring in Tony Romo.

Makes me feel a little (just a little) bit more at ease with Zimmer and Kubiak's philosophy. We saw how McVay's offense did without a running game and shaky OLine.

Other than NE/KC, defense and running game/play action pass was the winning philosophy in the playoffs.

Fix the OLine and big game let downs and we aren't that far away.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/4/2019 9:51:21 AM >
Post #: 33
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 10:00:34 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

The #1 thing I love about Bilechick is that he doesn't 'outsmart' himself - ever. If he thinks pressure will work and the game starts and by golly it's working - he won't stop doing it just because of 'balance' or 'thinking the opponent will adjust' or what have you. He'll do it until it doesn't work - and THEN he'll move on to the next phase he already thought about.

With Zimmer it seems like he gets something working (double A gap blitz for example) but then shuts it down on his own for no reason other than perhaps he thinks a 'smart' NFL coach shouldn't do the same thing too often or for fear that the opponent will figure it out. Hey! Maybe they won't figure it out at all or at worst at least wait until they figure it out and then be ready for the next counterpunch.

Hard to imagine he fields top 10 defenses year in year out.
Post #: 34
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 10:02:58 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

I'll meet you at the 'top 10 defense' parade they're throwing on Tuesday. He's not the defensive coordinator btw.

Post #: 35
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 11:05:19 AM   
Rob Viking

Need to look a little more closely, the Pats must have found a technique in the Rams blocking schemes to exploit. They were in wide splits, running delayed stunts, it was a masterpiece in defensive line play. Goff isn't a QB to handle pressure. He was fortunate not to be intercepted about 4x.

This was probably Belicheck's favorite SB victory, and arguably his greatest coaching job taking a decent Pats team to the SB while dominating 3 quality opponents in the Chargers, Chiefs and Rams.
Post #: 36
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 11:58:06 AM   
El Duderino

Ryan Allen should have gotten the MVP.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 37
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 12:01:20 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

I'll meet you at the 'top 10 defense' parade they're throwing on Tuesday. He's not the defensive coordinator btw.

Belichek is though.
Post #: 38
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 2:04:19 PM   
Trekgeekscott

For all those that want use to stop spending so much time and attention on building a dominating defense...

Pats 13, Rams (with a pretty potent Offense) 3. won the superbowl.

You have to do both very well. I want a far better offense in MN than we've seen. but there is no reason to ignore the defense to get it. We need the Offense to move the chains and score more often than not. They don't have to put up 45 points a game.

Good defenses win even when the offenses don't play well. Patriots offense wasn't particularly effective until later in the game when the Rams D started wearing down.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynahan and Alan Page
Post #: 39
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 5:51:36 PM   
Bill Jandro

One thing I noticed is that Brady's arm strength is really fading.

If I'm a DC I'd take away the middle of the field. Make him throw deep outs and move everyone up and blanket the rb's.

Take away what he does best.

Post #: 40
RE: Superbowl LIII - 2/4/2019 8:24:44 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Good stuff. It's like he has a decision tree made. Start game with pressure (one of the highest blitzing games for NE this year). Their adjustment options are A, B, C. If the do any of them, here's what our counter is. But McVay never adjusted so BB just kept the same game plan.

The defensive line play was outstanding for the Pats. As Rob pointed out.

Also Daniels deserves a lot of credit. Changing his game plan in the 3rd was brilliant, I think Peter King covered that in his article today, they hadn't installed or practiced it all two weeks. Jumbo then spread. I couldn't believe MVP was getting match ups on linebackers in the second half.

Finally - Brady looks like he is fast approaching Manning final season. Like Bill said, his velocity AND accuracy looked unBrady like. Made maybe one good outside/deep throw (it was a gem to Gronk).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Superbowl LIII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode