Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

2019 Wolves offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2019 Wolves offseason Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2019 Wolves offseason - 5/15/2019 12:51:38 PM   
twinsfan

Here's my Whatifsports NBA team. Who should my starting 5 be?

PG 00-01 Terrell Brandon
PG 99-00 Bobby Jackson
PG 02-03 Igor Rakocevic
SG 94-95 Isaiah Rider
SG 00-01 Anthony Peeler
SF 92-93 Chuck Person
SF 98-99 Dennis Scott
SF 90-91 Richard Coffey
PF 03-04 Kevin Garnett
C 94-95 Sean Rooks
C 05-06 Michael Olowokandi
C 07-08 Michael Doleac

How many of you that sit and judge me ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?
Post #: 1
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/15/2019 12:57:24 PM   
twinsfan

Will my team play enough defense to win?

Post #: 2
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/15/2019 1:11:06 PM   
kgdabom

We actually needed this thread because we certainly aren't having games right now. However, I have no clue about your whatif team. Go Wolves. Draft Clarke.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/19/2019 12:02:39 AM   
kgdabom

I don't think anybody other than Saunders has interviewed for our Head Coach position. Here is the latest report I could find at first glance.

Minnesota Timberwolves: The head coaching search begins

by Zach Lung2 days ago Follow @ZachLung
The Minnesota Timberwolves have opened up the head coaching search to outside candidates before making a decision on the future of Ryan Saunders.
This week, the Minnesota Timberwolves began scheduling interviews as part of the process of finding a head coach for the 2019-20 season and beyond. This news should delight fans of the team as it seems the Timberwolves are finally behaving like a well-organized franchise. The new president of basketball operations, Gersson Rosas, is putting his best foot forward to ensure success for the Timberwolves’ future.
While some people may see this news as an indictment on the interim head coach, Ryan Saunders, reports have been quick to point out that Ryan Saunders remains among the candidates. In fact, I still believe that Saunders is the front-runner to be the team’s head coach. A full coaching search can only help reassure the front office and fanbase of the decision they ultimately make.
The Front-Runners
Recent reports have named four candidates who are expected to interview for the head coaching position: Juwan Howard, David Vanterpool, Darvin Ham, and Chris Finch. All of these candidates will be competing for the position alongside interim head coach, Ryan Saunders.
Several of these candidates have playing experience in the NBA with former all-star Juwan Howard being the most notable among the group. Howard immediately transitioned from a player into an assistant coaching role with the Miami Heat. He has been a key part of the player development in Miami since joining their staff in 2013.
David Vanterpool has had a slightly different trajectory than Howard, spending most of his playing time overseas. Vanterpool made the same player to assistant transition when he joined the coaching staff for CSKA Moscow, helping to develop the talent of the former Timberwolves’ guard, Alexey Shved. Since 2012, Vanterpool has served as the assistant coach for the Portland Trail Blazers.
Darvin Ham is a different type of candidate, bringing a wealth of experience as an assistant coach for the Lakers, Hawks, and Bucks. Ham has a great track record as a player development coach, including his time in Atlanta working with current Timberwolves’ player, Jeff Teague. Ham joined the Milwaukee Bucks last year as their top assistant coach, helping the team become the contender they are now.
Last but not least of the named candidates is Chris Finch. He may be the most important name to keep an eye on as he also has an impressive resume of coaching experience. Finch began his coaching career with 2010 coach of the year honors in the NBA D-League. He then joined the Houston Rockets’ staff as an assistant coach, working alongside the Timberwolves new president of basketball operations, Gersson Rosas. Finch has also spent time as an associate head coach in Denver and currently is the associate head coach in New Orleans. Chris Finch is ready to make the leap into a head coaching position and already has a good relationship with Gersson Rosas, making him a very intriguing candidate.
While all of these candidates are suitable for the position, one of them would likely have to blow the Wolves away during the search process in order to beat out Ryan Saunders for the job. Saunders continues to prepare for next season as if he will be the head coach, but the team is making the smart decision of conducting a full search before handing the job to Saunders.
The Dark Horses
Gersson Rosas has taken an interesting approach to this coaching search by scheduling interviews with younger assistant coaches who are looking to make the transition into the next stage of their careers. While I would expect one of the names previously mentioned to eventually be offered the job, don’t be surprised if Minnesota also takes a look at a few more available coaches on the market.
One name that has been connected to Minnesota in the past is Minnesota-native, Dave Joerger. Joerger was recently fired by the Sacramento Kings following an impressive season with the young squad. His coaching career has been a confusing one thus far, after successful seasons in both Memphis and Sacramento and yet was fired by both due to issues with management.
A couple of other interesting names to watch are San Antonio Spurs’ assistant coaches Becky Hammon and Ettore Messina. Hammon recently coached the Spurs summer league team and is expected to be the first woman to become an NBA head coach in the near future. Meanwhile, Messina is also a member of the Gregg Popovich coaching tree and has already taken interviews for numerous head coaching positions in the past. If all other avenues are exhausted, Minnesota could still turn to the unemployed Tom Thibodeau as their next head coach (I’m kidding, please don’t riot).
Stay tuned to Dunking with Wolves for all of the latest news regarding the Minnesota Timberwolves head coaching search.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/19/2019 10:27:17 AM   
kgdabom

Per Doogie

krause wang
@GqceKrause
· 2h

@DWolfsonKSTP anything info about the head coach of the T-Wloves?

Darren Wolfson

@DWolfsonKSTP

Interviews done.

6:38 AM - May 19, 2019

Please anybody but Saunders.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 7:05:08 AM   
JT2

I have to say, I'm not real surprised that we are stuck with Saunders.

Is Rosas an idiot, or was he ever really allowed to hire somebody else?
Post #: 6
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 7:36:40 AM   
SoMnFan

Interim coach Ryan Saunders is finalizing a multiyear deal to become head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told ESPN.
The deal could be completed as soon as Monday, sources told ESPN. Saunders is working on assembling a staff.
New Timberwolves president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas met with candidates at the NBA draft combine, but the search turned back to Saunders.
Saunders, 33, finished the Timberwolves' season as interim coach after the midseason firing of Tom Thibodeau and earned the endorsement of All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns.

Saunders has made a strong impression on ownership and senior management, including Rosas, who has spent a dozen or so hours meeting with him since Rosas' recent appointment to run the Wolves' basketball operations.
Post #: 7
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 7:42:24 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I am sure that Rosas has complete control over who he hires. I am sure that Glen may prefer that Saunders is hired. The real issue is that the personal suck. We only have two starters. Everybody else has major problems. I don't think anyone can coach these clowns into a decent team. Thibs managed to take a team with some real promise and turn it into a chunk of crap in a very short time. That took real talent to make this team to totally implode and players wanting to leave in mass.
Post #: 8
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 8:28:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

I am sure that Rosas has complete control over who he hires. I am sure that Glen may prefer that Saunders is hired. The real issue is that the personal suck. We only have two starters. Everybody else has major problems. I don't think anyone can coach these clowns into a decent team. Thibs managed to take a team with some real promise and turn it into a chunk of crap in a very short time. That took real talent to make this team to totally implode and players wanting to leave in mass.

2 starters All Star Starters? I don't know....Teague,Okogie, Covington, Saric, Towns isn't a bad starting five if you can keep Teague and Covington healthy.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 8:30:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

https://www.canishoopus.com/2019/5/19/18631796/draft-rumor-have-wolves-made-a-promise-to-rui-hachimura-timberwolves-nba-draft-gonzaga-bulldogs

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 8:50:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

https://www.canishoopus.com/2019/5/19/18631796/draft-rumor-have-wolves-made-a-promise-to-rui-hachimura-timberwolves-nba-draft-gonzaga-bulldogs

Rui can't even shoot a college 3

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 11
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:17:58 AM   
TJSweens

Saunders gets the job. What an unbelievably stupid and disappointing decision.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/20/report-ryan-saunders-to-become-timberwolves-full-time-coach/

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 12
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:18:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Interim coach Ryan Saunders is finalizing a multiyear deal to become head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told ESPN.
The deal could be completed as soon as Monday, sources told ESPN. Saunders is working on assembling a staff.
New Timberwolves president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas met with candidates at the NBA draft combine, but the search turned back to Saunders.
Saunders, 33, finished the Timberwolves' season as interim coach after the midseason firing of Tom Thibodeau and earned the endorsement of All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns.

Saunders has made a strong impression on ownership and senior management, including Rosas, who has spent a dozen or so hours meeting with him since Rosas' recent appointment to run the Wolves' basketball operations.

This is a very dark day similar to when the Wolves chose Ndudi Ebi over Josh Howard. One was a major college conference PotY and the other looked good guarding somebody in a practice. Coaching candidates with great credentials vs a nice guy that the players like.

Rosas has lost all credibility with me and it will be very difficult for him to ever win my trust back.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:19:24 AM   
David Levine

Hachimura is Adreian Payne

Both guys look the part, both are scorers first, both are totally lost on defense and neither seem to have any feel for the game.

He’s a really bad defender, a poor rebounder and a lousy decision maker.

IMO, he’s going to be a guy who you bring in with your 2nd unit and just ask him to score a lot.

But to his credit, Rui apparently has normal human lungs…

If we hire Saunders and made a promise to draft Hachimura, the Rosas era could not get off to a worse start.
Post #: 14
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:24:42 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/20/report-ryan-saunders-to-become-timberwolves-full-time-coach/

Why? It sounds like the players are happy and most of the fans as well.

Post #: 15
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:26:21 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Giannis was happy to be coached by (the terrible) Jason Kidd. He loved him. He complained about management when they fired him.

I bet he loves going to the NBA finals more.
Post #: 16
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:29:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I don't care what players and rubes think. The players like him because he holds their hands and talks to them. I want a coach who game plan, and Ryan showed he was in way over his head in that aspect of the game. Rosas had clearly superior candidates to Saunders in for interviews. This was a nepotism hire for Grandpa Glen, pure and simple.

Post #: 17
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:37:32 AM   
David Levine

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania
Ryan Saunders has reached agreement on a multiyear deal to become the new head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA
Post #: 18
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:48:44 AM   
TJSweens

Rosas' first big signature move is to make Glen happy. Welcome to the First Avenue Country Club. Your initiation is complete.

Post #: 19
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 10:57:37 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Giannis was happy to be coached by (the terrible) Jason Kidd. He loved him. He complained about management when they fired him.

I bet he loves going to the NBA finals more.

I am beyond 100% in agreeing with DL on this and the Hachumura thing. This is an unbelievably dark day for our franchise. A Head Coach should have better credentials than he's a nice guy and the players like him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 20
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 11:18:34 AM   
bohumm

Sorry friends. Really.

At least they could have kept/promoted/hired permanently the better assistant (David Adelman). WTF? Oh wait, it's not a meritocracy....

I love the smell of lasagna in the morning.
Post #: 21
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 11:22:40 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Hachimura is Adreian Payne

Both guys look the part, both are scorers first, both are totally lost on defense and neither seem to have any feel for the game.

He’s a really bad defender, a poor rebounder and a lousy decision maker.

IMO, he’s going to be a guy who you bring in with your 2nd unit and just ask him to score a lot.

But to his credit, Rui apparently has normal human lungs…

If we hire Saunders and made a promise to draft Hachimura, the Rosas era could not get off to a worse start.

Sam told Payne he could probably get eight figures a year for multiple years if he would just stop doing what he wants to do and be a true 3 and D guy who plays within the scheme (any scheme, really). Payne argued for the merits of the way he wanted to play for a solid twenty minutes before Sam just let him go on with his delusions.....

Guys with limitations can do a lot if they understand the game and (especially) themselves.
Post #: 22
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 11:23:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Sorry friends. Really.

At least they could have kept/promoted/hired permanently the better assistant (David Adelman). WTF? Oh wait, it's not a meritocracy....

I love the smell of lasagna in the morning.

Maybe Towns will call Ryan a little bitch before it's over. Given how history repeats itself.

Post #: 23
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 11:27:38 AM   
kgdabom

I think you have it just about right. Are contract details out? How many years guaranteed and how much per year?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 24
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/20/2019 11:28:47 AM   
twinsfan

It's Ryan's job to lose. Those other candidates will still be available a couple years from now if it doesn't work out. Actually, I bet the shine will be off most of them, and it will be a new crop of candidates.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> 2019 Wolves offseason Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode