Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Wolves offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2019 Wolves offseason Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/21/2019 11:32:19 AM   
twinsfan

The Saunders hire does one very important thing as our Danny Cunningham points out in his column. It keeps Karl-Anthony Towns happy (at least for now) and that’s extremely important considering the fact we are talking about a superstar player. If Towns decides this is hopeless you can basically forget about this franchise forever.

That’s the interesting thing about this. There is an urgency to keep Towns happy — and make him believe things can go in the right direction — but Rosas also has some time to observe, much as Falvey and Levine had time to try to turn things around. Falvey and Levine now have the manager of their choosing, Rocco Baldelli, in place and the Twins are atop the AL Central.

Rosas’ luxury is that he can keep Towns happy with the Saunders hire, while having time to see if Saunders is the right guy for this job.
In one sense, you feel bad for Saunders because he’s stuck with Andrew Wiggins until Rosas can move his max contract.

Any belief that Rosas or Saunders can turn around Wiggins is silly. Their best chance of getting anything from him in the short term will be to find the best way to use him as a role player. But to think someone can make him live up to the potential of being a No. 1-overall pick at this point is delusional. Five years into his career, Wiggins is who he is and he isn’t changing for anyone. He’s made that clear on numerous occasions to everyone who has coached the Wolves. (That is why, in an ideal world, I wrote that Saunders should have told Taylor there is no way to work with this guy.)

But that doesn’t mean Rosas couldn’t eventually put together a young, exciting roster (with Wiggins long gone) that would feature Towns as the centerpiece. Saunders could grow into the job along with his players. If that doesn’t happen? Well, much as Falvey and Levine eventually decided Molitor wasn’t their guy, Rosas could do the same when it comes to Saunders.

The key is that any success the Wolves are going to achieve — even typing that sentence is difficult — is far off enough that Rosas probably figured he could afford to take a shot on Saunders in the short term.

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 51
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/21/2019 1:11:40 PM   
kgdabom

Is Ryan Saunders contract fully guaranteed? If we fire him does Glen need to eat another 4 year contract. Are details available? Hopefully his contract in the smallest head coaching contract in the NBA.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 52
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/21/2019 10:46:48 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I think there is a lot of truth in this Canis comment:

The biggest problem for the franchise has always been Glen.

But he also controls he whole thing. How do you control the guy who controls everything and is bad at it? Through effective politics. You manage your owner. This is why I am currently more optimistic about the wolves than I have been in a long time.

Ethan Casson clearly is good at this. He has gained Glens trust and used that to do the following: (1) fire Thibs mid season with over ten million left on a contract, (2) conduct a legitimate POBO search and hire the right hand man of a top 5 POBO. Pretty damn good start.

Rosas is also clearly good at this. If you listen he is long winded, but then read it in print and it reads very well as messaging. Notice how often he compliments Glen and clearly iterates that Glen wants to build a championship organization. This is currying favor with Glen and also setting the playing field for down the road to have a framing of when he asks Glen for things "well Glen, you said you want a championship, this is how they do things". It’s messaging to set the expectation so that he can also use it to manage Glen. Notice how Rosas was very clear in his messaging that he had full authority over the coaching hire.

This is also why I am not bothered at all by the Ryan. You lose a ton of political good will within the organization, especially with Glen if you fire Ryan. If the guy you replace him with turns out to be a bust, you have really lost credibility and shot yourself in the foot politically. As of now, Ryan is a relatively blank slate who is popular and seems willing to work with the POBO. As the poster said earlier Rosas likely made the calculation that the possibles gain in coaching is not worth the political loss. Here is where the messaging on hiring authority is important. It was for the fans for sure, but I also bet it was for Glen as well. Rosas is saying to Glen, I had full authority to make this decision, and I like the guy that happens to be your favorite, you can trust my decision making.

I see Saunders likely result as Scott Brookesque. Maybe not the guy you want tactically, but solid for player management and hopefully development, and probably not a disaster and may turn out to be better than expected

So I agree that this looks like twolves as usual, and may be. But to me this looks more like a guy including a political calculation to manage an owner to ensure he has the political power going forward to do what he wants and to have the political capital to make much harder sells: e.g trade Wiggins

Are Casson and Rosas good basketball minds? I have no idea and it could be a disaster ultimately, but Casson is off to a heck of a start and Rosas has the resume.

What they are clearly good at is managing the owner. Since Glen is the biggest problem, that is the biggest thing to address right now. I think these guys are playing the long game with Glen and seem to know what they are doing. On many teams "managing the owner" over hiring the absolute best coach would be a disaster. With the wolves it is probably a necessary step to long term change. Gain his full trust in the short term to leverage full authority for the long term

Having said all that:

Rui promise if true is bad. I’ll be shocked if that is true, as the timing makes no sense.

Layden has to go, or have minimal authority. I’ll be surprised if that doesn’t happen. Word is that other teams thought he was a clown when trying to trade with the wolves. Rockets spent a ton of time negotiating with the wolves and had their four picks turned down.

Posted by Tollystones on May 21, 2019 | 4:54 AM

Interesting take. For the most part, I'm not buying it.

If our best hope at success is to build bottom to top, and wear down the man in charge, be prepared to be patient.
Post #: 53
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/21/2019 11:09:23 PM   
David Levine

My take on the Ryan hire:

Rosas made a very big point that he wants an NFL style staff. With a HC that will implement Rosas' vision, but also with essentially "offensive and defensive coordinators" to handle those parts of the game.

My guess is Rosas will have a bigger say in the assistant coaches than even Ryan does.

Its actually the thing that makes me somewhat less worried about Ryan. That he hired him because of his relationship with the players and because he thinks he can mold him into the type of coach he wants - and not because of what he's done as a coach so far.

I still expect it to end badly, because...Forget it, Jake. It's Timberwolves...
Post #: 54
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 6:49:22 AM   
TJSweens

That's what I am hoping to see. If Jerry Sichting and company are still his staff then I don't see anything changing. If Rosas overhauls the staff with specific people for specific roles, I will feel better.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/22/2019 7:08:19 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 55
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 7:02:50 AM   
Karl Juhnke

They were very noncommittal in answering the assistants question at the press conference. Didn’t even really answer the question at all, just glossed over it with a few cliches.

I hope that means a complete overhaul is in order.

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 56
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 10:24:37 AM   
David Levine

Dave McMenamin✔@mcten
The Minnesota Timberwolves turned over Ryan Saunders’ coaching staff on Tuesday night, league sources told ESPN. They parted ways with Ed Pinckney, Larry Greer, Jerry Sichting, John Lucas Jr. and Dice Yoshimoto. They retained Malik Allen.

9:25 PM - May 21, 2019
Post #: 57
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 11:04:34 AM   
TJSweens

This is very promising.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 58
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 11:19:19 AM   
David Levine

Malik Allen is the only one whose contract didn't expire.

Last year was his first with us. Previous 4 years he coached in Detroit under Stan Van Gundy.
Post #: 59
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 12:20:08 PM   
David Levine

Andrew@InfraRen
PA just said on his show he expects Pistons Sachin Gupta will be joining the Wolves

Darren Wolfson✔@DWolfsonKSTP
Definitely a name to watch here. Worked with Rosas in Houston for multiple years. Knows analytics and the salary cap well. Currently the Pistons ass’t GM.

-------------

From last summer:

DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Pistons have hired Sachin Gupta as their assistant general manager.

The Pistons announced the move Tuesday.

Gupta was a special adviser to Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey last season. He previously worked for the Philadelphia 76ers under then-GM Sam Hinkie.

Ed Stefanski, a special adviser to Pistons owner Tom Gores, says Sachin has a great handle on analytics and will be a “tremendous resource” for the basketball operations team.

---------------

Meet Sachin Gupta, The Driving Force Behind Many of Sam Hinkie’s Trades

www.phillymag.com/news/2017/01/31/sachin-gupta-trades-sam-hinkie/
Post #: 60
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 12:38:52 PM   
David Levine

This is a terrific piece on Gupta:

https://www.apnews.com/d9153670df794bb2a73dba184ef61339
Post #: 61
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 4:51:48 PM   
David Levine

Dane Moore@DaneMooreNBA
Malik Allen was the coach who Karl-Anthony Towns worked with on an individual basis last season.
Post #: 62
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/22/2019 6:31:51 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

Rosas made a very big point that he wants an NFL style staff. With a HC that will implement Rosas' vision, but also with essentially "offensive and defensive coordinators" to handle those parts of the game.

My guess is Rosas will have a bigger say in the assistant coaches than even Ryan does.

Its actually the thing that makes me somewhat less worried about Ryan. That he hired him because of his relationship with the players and because he thinks he can mold him into the type of coach he wants - and not because of what he's done as a coach so far.

If keeping Ryan means we're getting rid of Wiggins, I'm ok with it.
Post #: 63
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/23/2019 7:36:34 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

quote:

If keeping Ryan means we're getting rid of Wiggins, I'm ok with it.

I think that we are bringing in assistants to coach up Wiggins and the rest of the team. Wiggins has very little trade value, so now is not the time to trade him. I see that the personnel of this team is very weak.
Post #: 64
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/23/2019 1:31:42 PM   
David Levine

This is really big for us:

Jon Krawczynski✔@JonKrawczynski
Karl-Anthony Towns missing out on All-NBA means his 5-year deal will be worth closer to $158 million than the $191M it would have been.
Post #: 65
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/23/2019 1:40:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

This is really big for us:

Karl-Anthony Towns missing out on All-NBA means his 5-year deal will be worth closer to $158 million than the $191M it would have been.

It's a shame, but good for the Wolves. KAT can't complain, because the Wolves did everything they could to give him his best shot at it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 66
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/23/2019 1:46:38 PM   
kgdabom

Looks like Butler's character assassination of KAT was bought hook line and sinker by the Voters. IMO Gobert is not even on KAT's level, but he got 89 points while KAT only got 20.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 67
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/23/2019 2:28:38 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Looks like Butler's character assassination of KAT was bought hook line and sinker by the Voters. IMO Gobert is not even on KAT's level, but he got 89 points while KAT only got 20.

If you don't make the playoffs, the blame for it falls on the star player. That is unfortunate for KAT. Gives the Wolves a bit more contract flexibility down the road.
Post #: 68
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/25/2019 7:30:29 PM   
David Jerde

So … we can thank Thibs and Butler for holding Kat back. My money is on Kat coming back hard
Post #: 69
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/26/2019 7:00:28 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Jerde

So … we can thank Thibs and Butler for holding Kat back. My money is on Kat coming back hard

I am sure with top assistant coaches, KAT will make bigger strides. The Wolves need to get him the ball for some easy buckets. Get a point guard who knows how to get the ball down the floor and someone who can play the pick and roll.
Post #: 70
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/28/2019 11:07:46 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Looks like its happening:

RandBall✔@RandBall
New from @ChristopherHine: #twolves finalizing deal to hire Sachin Gupta as executive VP of basketball operations, a source confirmed.http://strib.mn/2YU4zP4
Post #: 71
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/28/2019 11:13:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Looks like its happening:

RandBall✔@RandBall
New from @ChristopherHine: #twolves finalizing deal to hire Sachin Gupta as executive VP of basketball operations, a source confirmed.http://strib.mn/2YU4zP4

Shocking News! NOT!
This has been a foregone conclusion for is it a week or two. Seems like a good hire. Does EVPoBO make him above Layden as GM in the pecking order?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 72
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/28/2019 11:19:46 AM   
David Levine

It's my understanding that Sachin Gupta will be the new No. 2 under Rosas in the revamped front office. There has been nothing official on Scott Layden, but most expect him to stay on board.
Post #: 73
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/28/2019 11:24:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

It's my understanding that Sachin Gupta will be the new No. 2 under Rosas in the revamped front office. There has been nothing official on Scott Layden, but most expect him to stay on board.

Even though you don't reply to me thanks for answering my question. It is amazing to me how much our minds think alike.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 74
RE: 2019 Wolves offseason - 5/28/2019 1:13:01 PM   
David Levine

Rosas is really assembling an impressive front office with Gupta and Gianluca Pascucci.

Key Sang@Phantele_
In 2015, the 76ers sent the 47th and 60th picks to the Kings for salary dumps, swapping picks in 2017, and a pick this yr

The 2017 pick became the #3 pick, which was then traded with the 2019 pick for the #1 pick. They got the #1 pick from a salary dump. That's Gupta right there

Key Sang@Phantele_
Gupta nails evaluation at a value level. Understands other teams' assets better than they understand it themselves. Pascucci nails evaluation at a talent level. Both understand caring about the margins. Both find value where other teams don't. Exactly what the Wolves need rn
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2019 Wolves offseason Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode