Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2020 2:31:11 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Obviously Richardson was better than many credited him for. Idk his pressure stats for 2018 but we had 96 with him and 33 w/o him.

Getting an effective 3t might be the most impactful thing we can do for the defense this off season.

I was trying to calculate whether we needed help more in the interior offensive line or defensive line more and it's hard to choose. I suppose it comes down to the grading of the prospects and who is still available at #25. Because we have numerous needs, I can't see trading up. If there are several players to be happy with still not selected, then trading down would make sense. A lot of draft guys seem to be selecting cornerbacks for our team with the first pick, too. The good news is our team will not be sniped because there certainly will be options.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 8:35:36 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

Obviously Richardson was better than many credited him for. Idk his pressure stats for 2018 but we had 96 with him and 33 w/o him.

Getting an effective 3t might be the most impactful thing we can do for the defense this off season.

I was trying to calculate whether we needed help more in the interior offensive line or defensive line more and it's hard to choose. I suppose it comes down to the grading of the prospects and who is still available at #25. Because we have numerous needs, I can't see trading up. If there are several players to be happy with still not selected, then trading down would make sense. A lot of draft guys seem to be selecting cornerbacks for our team with the first pick, too. The good news is our team will not be sniped because there certainly will be options.

You're right about lots of needs on this team.

Certainly will depend on what happens with FA's, but G, DT, and CB are likely the top 3 needs. Need to evaluate depth of draft in those positions and value of players on the board at the time we're picking. If a stud DT is available when we pick it would be hard to pass up.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 3:38:20 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

You're right about lots of needs on this team.

Certainly will depend on what happens with FA's, but G, DT, and CB are likely the top 3 needs. Need to evaluate depth of draft in those positions and value of players on the board at the time we're picking. If a stud DT is available when we pick it would be hard to pass up.

i would sign the best bloody guard we can in free agency...draft an ot in the 1st round....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/28/2020 1:29:42 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 4:45:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
·
2h
They also make Adam Zimmer and Patterson official as co-DCs. #Vikings

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 5:49:56 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
·
2h
They also make Adam Zimmer and Patterson official as co-DCs. #Vikings

So more no changes for the Vikings coaches. This team is mired in Spielman and Zimmer funk.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 6255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 7:27:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Patterson has arguably been our most successful coach. He deserves the promotion.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 7:51:48 PM   
Dana Turner

Sorry, I just checked and saw how long this was, yikes. Well, we are stuck in our houses here in Shanghai and I'm freakin' bored. Damn Corona virus! I wonder if their beer sales have dipped??

The defense, or at least the philosophy is set. There isn't going to be any large changes in scheme or tendencies, the Vikings will have to make any progress on the offensive side of the ball. If the Vikings would have scored one more TD in each of the six losses we had this year, we would have had three more wins and a tie at Seattle. Our defense is just the way Zimmer likes it. We are going to give a little and try not to give a lot. Keep thme to Field goals in the red zone and try to win the close one. It's been that way forever and it is what it is.

So, we need to be better on offense. This will be the second year with Kubiak and Rocco, so some stability will be present, that's a good thing. We obviously need to strengthen the interior of the offensive line, I'm 100%sure that fact is not lost on the coaching staff. We are not in there every day and I'm pretty sure they did what they felt was best for chemistry this year, but two things have been glaring weaknesses and they must get worked on in the off-season. First and foremost, Bradbury needs to add about 20-30 pounds of muscle, most of it to his ass. His lower body needs to be a point of focus and it is doable. He has all the smarts needed to become a very solid center in the NFL, he just needs to get stouter

Guards, well for sure, left guard. But really, both guards and I'm thinking that Kline can be effective in his second year with Rocco. We were all pretty worried about him coming in last year, but to our surprise, he actually played pretty solid and has the potential to be one of those Berger/Fusco types. You guys remember those journeymen that actually played some solid and unexpectedly good football for the Vikings. I think Kline has a chance to be one of those types. Lets face the facts, you need good offensive linemen that can play in unison together, compliment each other. We saw what a great offensive line got Dallas a couple years back, all those first and second round picks amounted to "0" titles. Yes they we really good together, but the rest of the team wasn't up to the task. Pick your poison, it's a tricky business, we need a solid offensive line and we are not far from that. So, that leaves LG and LT. Can we do that in house or at least part of that in house. I think we must resign Hill. That guy is funny, he isn't a very good RT, but when he is on the left, there isn't a drop off between him and Rieff, they pretty much play at the same level, Hill is better at the left than the right. Rieff either takes a pay cut or leaves, he simply doesn't earn the type of money he's getting and the tape shows that. I don't know if O'Neil is ok to move to LT or if Udoh is a guy that will progress or not. Is Collins going to take a step forward. We probably need a guy to fall in the first round to get a starter right out of college. Udoh is certainly an athletic big man, time will tell. So, is Samia ready to take a step up to play guard? He has the attitude the O-line needs, but it takes more than attitude to be consistent in the NFL and I think that is what they are needing from him, consistency.

Our three needs as I see it are IOL, CB and DT, in that order. Next would be a safety if we loose Kearse or Harris. We would only have three safeties, that would be counting Sendejo, if we loose one of them. I believe Kearse wants to leave, so I am thinking he will be gone. I like Harris, I always have since he came out undrafted to the Vikings, but I don't believe we can spend $11 million a year on him, that would be over $20 million a year on two safeties. If Smith would restructure and make a deal to take him to retirement as a Viking, maybe we free up some money that way.

The Vikings have four draft picks in the first three rounds and also need to draft a QB. That QB conversation is another time. I think the Vikings take a CB if a top 10 O-line guy doesn't fall in to their lap. There will be some very good CB's sitting there at #25. Looks like 4 QB's will go before we pick, that's a good thing. If the O-line guy does fall, take the best CB or DT available with the second, then whichever you didn't take in the second, look at in the third along with Safety. Draft the best punter with the other third.....just checking to see if you were paying attention, LOL.

This whole thing will be predicated on the off-season for the O-line growth. We have a lot of athletic, young guys in that room and their are positions up for grabs. Will one or two guys grab this moment and plant themselves in an open spot, it's right there in front of them. I don't see us playing in the FA market at all, we have like 200 of our own FA's to sift through, this team needs to see a couple of these guys step up in a big way!

< Message edited by Dana Turner -- 1/27/2020 7:55:54 PM >
Post #: 6257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 8:38:27 PM   
bohumm

So Zimmer looked across the NFL/CFB landscape and said, "I don't see a DC candidate on the rarefied level of my son. Oh, wait, there's one, who also happens to be on my staff. Two guys more qualified than their previous boss and everyone else I could hire throughout football."

Do not extend him.
Post #: 6258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 8:42:36 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We have a new secondary coach, too. With our secondary in flux, he should have a lot of input.

He's had some success.

Jones helped second-year Bengals corner Darius Phillips have a breakout season in 2019. and helped develop Xavien Howard during his two years with the Dolphins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-hire-bengals-assistant-daronte-jones-defensive-backs-coach

Post #: 6259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2020 8:48:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Here is all of the latest coaching changes in case you missed it:

Vikings coaching changes/hires:

DC= Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson who will also retain their current positions of LB's & D-line coaches.

Assistant O-line=Phil Rauscher (former Den & Wash)

WR coach= Andrew Janocko

DB coach= Daronte Jones (former Cincy & Miami)

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

Post #: 6260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 1:27:33 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Here is all of the latest coaching changes in case you missed it:

Vikings coaching changes/hires:

DC= Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson who will also retain their current positions of LB's & D-line coaches.

Assistant O-line=Phil Rauscher (former Den & Wash)

WR coach= Andrew Janocko

DB coach= Daronte Jones (former Cincy & Miami)

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

Vikings PR@VikingsPR
Gary Kubiak has been named as the @Vikings offensive coordinator:

Post #: 6261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 6:19:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

Not sure I like the co-cordinator bs. It didn't work at all for the oline in 2018 after the passing of Coach Sporano.

I thought Patterson deserved the job.

But then again Zim is the real DC. So these titles really don't add up to a hill of beans.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 1/28/2020 6:21:32 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 9:39:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Not sure I like the co-cordinator bs. It didn't work at all for the oline in 2018 after the passing of Coach Sporano.

But then again Zim is the real DC. So these titles really don't add up to a hill of beans.

So it's really 3 guys who run the defense. I agree that it doesn't sound right.

Post #: 6263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 9:45:21 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

If they establish a proper chain of command and delegate the duties clearly and wisely then it should work just fine. Opposing coaching staffs have become more analytical and have volumes of research to draw from which technology has made easier. If you don't have a Belichick that can process the complexities of the game in real time with ease then perhaps more heads is what's called for. That being said, I think Belichick has plenty of top-notch assistants doing a lot of the legwork for him as well but I think you get what I mean.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 9:56:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

If they establish a proper chain of command and delegate the duties clearly and wisely then it should work just fine. Opposing coaching staffs have become more analytical and have volumes of research to draw from which technology has made easier. If you don't have a Belichick that can process the complexities of the game in real time with ease then perhaps more heads is what's called for. That being said, I think Belichick has plenty of top-notch assistants doing a lot of the legwork for him as well but I think you get what I mean.

You're all over thinking it. Zimmer is the DC. That's it. The rest is all just titles handed out as a reward for performance or nepotism. Edwards as DC was an empty title. It will be no different with Patterson and Son of Zim.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 10:13:29 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're all over thinking it. Zimmer is the DC. That's it. The rest is all just titles handed out as a reward for performance or nepotism. Edwards as DC was an empty title. It will be no different with Patterson and Son of Zim.

it's even less of a question who's going to be play-calling games - same guy as last year...i was under the impression that edwards quit, but i don't know....

Post #: 6266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 10:28:28 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

it's even less of a question who's going to be play-calling games - same guy as last year...i was under the impression that edwards quit, but i don't know....

Well I imagine they help in some regard - even if it's a smaller role than I imagined. Maybe one of them can be in charge of challenges and the other in charge of managing timeouts/clock. I was trying to throw out some optimism/sunny disposition.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 10:39:10 AM   
Bill Jandro

Patterson and son of Zim are still dline coach and LB coach respectively. So naming them both DC wasn't really more than stroking them.

Post #: 6268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 10:41:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

Edwards did not have another job lined up before he left and ended up accepting a LB coach gig so my guess he was let go.

Post #: 6269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 10:53:09 AM   
David F.

quote:

Patterson and son of Zim are still dline coach and LB coach respectively. So naming them both DC wasn't really more than stroking them.

I imagine it benefits their careers going forward as well in terms of their resumes.

Post #: 6270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2020 2:24:15 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

I imagine it benefits their careers going forward as well in terms of their resumes.

If a GM is dumb enough to fall for that he'll most likely be the our new GM after RS is finally put to the pasture. It's just our luck.
Post #: 6271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 1:16:11 AM   
Viking Rich

Sad News.

Chris Doleman passed away last night.

He was only 58.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/hall-of-famer-chris-doleman-dies-at-the-age-of-58/

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 6272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 6:50:25 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Looks like he was fighting and making an effort until the end to be positive. I appreciate that.

Doleman, diagnosed with glioblastoma, underwent surgery on Jan. 25, 2018, to remove a cancerous tumor in his brain. Two other tumors were treated with radiation and chemotherapy.

Three days ago, Doleman tweeted: “Today is my 2 year anniversary of being a brain cancer survivor! Huge!”

Post #: 6273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 7:11:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

Cancer sux

Always liked Doleman. Dude could get after the QB.

Post #: 6274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2020 7:13:34 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Here is a video of Doleman making a sack. He was awesome in his prime.

https://twitter.com/VikeFans/status/1222505466376400896?s=20

Post #: 6275
Page:   <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  249 250 [251] 252 253   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode