Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:33:52 AM   
TJSweens

Okay, here is the good news on the win the division front. The Twins have 18 games remaining and Cleveland has 16 left.

Twins go 9-9
Cleveland has to go 13-3 to tie it up

Twins go 10-8
Cleveland has to go 14-2 to tie it up

Twins go 12-6
Cleveland has to go 16-0 to tie it up

If Cleveland wins 2/3 of its remaining games, the Twins need to go 7-11 to preserve a tie or 8-10 to win it.

It's not a done deal, but it looks promising.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 676
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:34:06 AM   
Mr. Ed

You missed the post that had Buxton comments about adjusting

“I find I’m so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.”
Post #: 677
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:34:49 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The concussion came on a ball most wouldn’t reach

There’s a fine line for the better outfielder type for aggressive play and letting the ball drop

That line could be the difference in winning or losing
Letting your teammates down

And plowing into the fence is also letting your team down if you miss games

Buxton isn’t the only one
The players union should push for better protection
And it is on the players to be smart
In the heat of the moment that’s a split second decision

They finally are protecting fans with netting. There needs to be more padding on the walls and foul ball areas. And they need to have a clear warning track in all ballparks that can not only be seen but felt by the players.
Post #: 678
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:35:57 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Okay, here is the good news on the win the division front. The Twins have 18 games remaining and Cleveland has 16 left.

Twins go 9-9
Cleveland has to go 13-3 to tie it up

Twins go 10-8
Cleveland has to go 14-2 to tie it up

Twins go 12-6
Cleveland has to go 16-0 to tie it up

If Cleveland wins 2/3 of its remaining games, the Twins need to go 7-11 to preserve a tie or 8-10 to win it.

It's not a done deal, but it looks promising.

Twins go 11-7, they reach 100 wins. It is clearly doable.
Post #: 679
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:36:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Jim Souhan

@SouhanStrib

I understand sentiments regarding Buxton, but if he didn't play as hard or run as fast, then he wouldn't be Buxton and you wouldn't care whether he was hurt. Molitor couldn't stay healthy when young, either. He didn't change style of play. Just matured physically, got luckier

Probably the most ive ever agreed with Souhan

Same feelings here
Its why I love his game
The explosiveness
Every team needs that and we definitely fed off of it
Unfortunately it also costs you at times.
I'm in the camp that it'll work itself out. He'll somehow figure out how to stay on the field. Has to kill him to miss these fun days.

Sorry SMF. This is really a homer type attitude. This is not how it works. Look at the results.

It really isn't a homer attitude and nobody is more loath to agree with Souhan than I am. Buxton is already showing signs of adjusting his mind set. After he injured the shoulder, he admitted that he needed to get smarter about how he plays the wall. He seems to have decided he needs to find to continue to be aggressive without being stupid. Falvine seems to be willing to sit down with him. His agent is no doubt convincing him that it is costing him a lot of money. He'll figure it out.

I haven't read or heard anything from Buxton saying he will change his approach. But he HAS to change his approach. Those who claim he can continue to play with reckless abandon are only stamping their approval of his next DL stint that could be career ending. What is so difficult to understand about this?

It was in the Pioneer Press shortly after he injured his shoulder. He specifically talked about being smarter about how he plays the wall. He can continue to play aggressively and be smarter about it.

Post #: 680
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:39:33 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

https://www.mlb.com/news/christian-yelich-exits-with-knee-injury

Well, blame that injury on MLB and the hard baseball. Blood on their hands. Totally unnecessary.

Almost identical to a few games back when Kepler fouled a ball off his front knee. Didn't fracture anything.

I think ballplayers need to wear some protection around their knee.

Did anyone see the guy who had a compound fracture on Deadliest Catch and had to be airlifted off the fishing vessel.

Closest bent leg to Joe Theisman's leg on MNF. But the latter made me throw up at the time.
Post #: 681
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:40:55 AM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Jim Souhan

@SouhanStrib

I understand sentiments regarding Buxton, but if he didn't play as hard or run as fast, then he wouldn't be Buxton and you wouldn't care whether he was hurt. Molitor couldn't stay healthy when young, either. He didn't change style of play. Just matured physically, got luckier

Same feelings here
Its why I love his game
The explosiveness
Every team needs that and we definitely fed off of it
Unfortunately it also costs you at times.
I'm in the camp that it'll work itself out. He'll somehow figure out how to stay on the field. Has to kill him to miss these fun days.

Sorry SMF. This is really a homer type attitude. This is not how it works. Look at the results.

It really isn't a homer attitude and nobody is more loath to agree with Souhan than I am. Buxton is already showing signs of adjusting his mind set. After he injured the shoulder, he admitted that he needed to get smarter about how he plays the wall. He seems to have decided he needs to find to continue to be aggressive without being stupid. Falvine seems to be willing to sit down with him. His agent is no doubt convincing him that it is costing him a lot of money. He'll figure it out.

I haven't read or heard anything from Buxton saying he will change his approach. But he HAS to change his approach. Those who claim he can continue to play with reckless abandon are only stamping their approval of his next DL stint that could be career ending. What is so difficult to understand about this?

It was in the Pioneer Press shortly after he injured his shoulder. He specifically talked about being smarter about how he plays the wall. He can continue to play aggressively and be smarter about it.

I hope this is the case. What pisses me off about Buxton is that he finally was starting to show stardom qualities in both CF and at the plate and then he let common sense get in the way. Practically speaking, the Twins are a much better playoff opponent with Buxton playing, now, not so much. For the Buxton fans, this is what you get.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 682
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:51:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Jim Souhan

@SouhanStrib

Funny, because I have the exact opposite reaction. I’m sick of this “You can’t change Buxton. It’s what makes him great” take.

It’s bullshit.

So we just have to live with Buxton routinely missing 80-100 games a season or more? To hear all this Buxton mythology you’d think he’s the first speedy athletically gifted guy to ever play center field. He’s not. The other great ones just learned to be smarter and be aggressive without killing themselves.

This last Buxton injury was just a boneheaded play. A needless risk. Why are we so afraid to say that? Can’t take that away from him? They certainly can. And they must.

Excellent post Karl. It is really ridiculous to support the "all out" playing style of Buxton. Long DL stints is what you get.

My point is, you can play aggressive AND smart. We are being fed a false choice. He gets hurt on plays that he has no chance on and/or in game situations where it really doesn’t matter that much.

Pick your spots. And learn some better technique when you do go for it. He can still do that and retain that precious ‘Essence of Byron Buxton’ that everyone drones on about.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/11/2019 9:52:21 AM >

I am an extremely stable genius
Post #: 683
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 9:56:32 AM   
MDK

He might get hurt on plays he has no chance to make.....

But he has also gotten hurt on plays he made that were game changers.

He will learn.
Post #: 684
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:03:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

Many aren't commenting on Buck's bad luck...I know he had a broken toe on a foul ball in one of his first rehab at bats last fall. I know he was hit in the hand once and was out for a while....so there is that on top of him being aggressive in the field. Get him repaired and healthy for next year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 685
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:08:48 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Many aren't commenting on Buck's bad luck...I know he had a broken toe on a foul ball in one of his first rehab at bats last fall. I know he was hit in the hand once and was out for a while....so there is that on top of him being aggressive in the field. Get him repaired and healthy for next year.

That is a fair point Phil. His lost season last year had nothing to do with reckless play. He initially got put on the IL for a migraine, went to Fort Myers for a rehab, fouled one off his foot in his first AB and broke his toe. Played through a lot of pain when they pushed him back in the lineup too soon. Went back on the IL to let the toe fully heal and then shut him down when the AAA season ended. Almost an entire year lost and it didn't involve crashing into a wall or reckless play.

Post #: 686
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:12:16 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I was curious about the weather in MN during the 1965 World Series. For some reason, baseball-reference says weather conditions "unknown" for Games 1 thru 6. But for Game 7, it was 50 degrees. Date of the game was October 14th. Sounds like a pretty nice day. Anyone here remember the weather conditions for the first 6 games of the series? I'm sure SoCal weather was perfect.

They played the opening games in the day back then due to the cold 40 degree weather at night. The opening game was windy, but partly sunny and the temperature was in the lower 60's.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 687
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:12:27 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

That is a fair point Phil. His lost season last year had nothing to do with reckless play. He initially got put on the IL for a migraine, went to Fort Myers for a rehab, fouled one off his foot in his first AB and broke his toe. Played through a lot of pain when they pushed him back in the lineup too soon. Went back on the IL to let the toe fully heal and then shut him down when the AAA season ended. Almost an entire year lost and it didn't involve crashing into a wall or reckless play.

I also like that point....they (fans) complain about him being hurt but he (Buxton) wants to be on the field and contribute so much he played with a broken toe last year.....he is tough, he also tried finishing out this year with that shoulder injury--Dr. must have told him it wasn't going to heal on its own and rehab wouldn't help to get thru the season.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/11/2019 10:13:34 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 688
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:13:13 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

There’s a fine line for the better outfielder type for aggressive play and letting the ball drop

They finally are protecting fans with netting. There needs to be more padding on the walls and foul ball areas. And they need to have a clear warning track in all ballparks that can not only be seen but felt by the players.

Walls should not only have more padding but it should be more uniform. Those walls with a combination of wire and pads like we have in left field are dangerous. It should be a relatively smooth surface.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 689
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:18:26 AM   
Steve Lentz

It started raining shortly after the opening game ended and continued through the night. The outfield was very soggy and Griffith had 2 helicopters come in to try and dry the wet spots for game 2.
It was 56 degrees at the start of the game with a 17 mile an hour wind. Light rain fell though the first couple innings.

Post #: 690
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:21:17 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Walls should not only have more padding but it should be more uniform. Those walls with a combination of wire and pads like we have in left field are dangerous. It should be a relatively smooth surface.

They need the chain fence so the bullpen has a view of the game.

I am not a homer
Post #: 691
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:22:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

It started raining shortly after the opening game ended and continued through the night. The outfield was very soggy and Griffith had 2 helicopters come in to try and dry the wet spots for game 2.
It was 56 degrees at the start of the game with a 17 mile an hour wind. Light rain fell though the first couple innings.

Quite a memory, Steve.

I am not a homer
Post #: 692
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:22:29 AM   
Steve Lentz

Game three the temperature was 54 degrees.

Post #: 693
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:23:53 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

That's cold for LA.

I am not a homer
Post #: 694
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:24:45 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

That's cold for LA.

Game six in Minnesota. Pardon my memory.

Post #: 695
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:26:42 AM   
Steve Lentz

Griffith also mixed some sand around the bases to slow down the Dodger running game.

Post #: 696
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:27:05 AM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

Quite a memory, Steve.

Steve's mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

He would never make mistakes except his avatar keeps spinning around mindlessly and it occasionally makes Steve dizzy.

< Message edited by MDK -- 9/11/2019 10:28:45 AM >
Post #: 697
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:27:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

They need the chain fence so the bullpen has a view of the game.

Maybe they could use clear, inflatable padding. Or they could have the wall deploy and airbag when Buxton runs into it.

Post #: 698
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:28:39 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quite a memory, Steve.

Steve's mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

He would never make escapes except his avatar keeps spinning around mindlessly and it occasionally makes Steve dizzy.

I think the geezer just takes ginkgo biloba to keep his memory sharp.

Post #: 699
RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 - 9/11/2019 10:31:09 AM   
MDK

All I remember from the 65 series.......I was in second grade. My sister was in the 11th grade. All kids from 7th through 12th grade got to watch the WS games in the lunchroom. Elementary kids didn't. We had regular classwork.

My sister could care less about the WS.

Life is sooooo unfair.
Post #: 700
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: 2019 Twins Game Day 2.0 Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode