Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/16/2019 1:59:32 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

If KAT gets injured, look out below. This team goes into a death spiral. There is no plan B without him. Heck there’s barely a plan A with him.

It will make the Rambis days look like the golden era of Wolves basketball.

They weren't ???

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 51
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/16/2019 7:28:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

Most to least entertaining to watch this year

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/10/16/nba-entertainment-rankings-lakers-clippers-bucks-nuggets

22. Minnesota Timberwolves: The offensive brilliance of Karl-Anthony Towns is basically weighed down by the offensive brickyness of Andrew Wiggings. The Wolves will move higher up the list when they figure things out, something fans—and probably the front office—are running out of patience for. Maybe they actually swing that trade for D’Angelo Russell at some point and we can revise these rankings.

Denver #1, Milwaukee #2

Escape while you can!
Post #: 52
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/17/2019 9:57:01 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

If KAT gets injured, look out below. This team goes into a death spiral. There is no plan B without him. Heck there’s barely a plan A with him.

It will make the Rambis days look like the golden era of Wolves basketball.

They weren't ???

32 wins in two seasons. Those were the days.

Without Towns this is a 15 win team.

C’mon man
Post #: 53
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/17/2019 1:38:36 PM   
SoMnFan

MILWAUKEE -- Ahead of the 2019-20 NBA season, ESPN rolled out its annual list of the top 100 players in the league.
Absent from it was Minnesota Timberwolves forward Andrew Wiggins, who doesn't agree.
"I don't really look at that too much, top 100 or not top 100," Wiggins told ESPN. "There's not 100 players better than me, so it doesn't matter what people think. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My job is to come out here and hoop, and that's what I'm going to do."
Wiggins, 24, is looking to have a breakout Year 6 after having heard criticism throughout his career concerning his effort, most notably after agreeing to a $147.7 million max contract extension in 2017. He averaged 18.1 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists on a career-low 41.2% shooting during the 2018-19 season, which was more focused on the public criticism and trade demands of former teammate Jimmy Butler, the firing of head coach Tom Thibodeau and a "personal" element, which he wouldn't detail, but he claims he's ready to put those issues behind him.
"I would say I enjoy it more than I did last year because last year was a rough start," Wiggins said. "The joy has always been there. I've never been on the court and not wanted to play."
Since being drafted No. 1 overall by Cleveland in 2014, only to be traded a couple of months later to Minnesota as part of a deal involving Kevin Love, Wiggins has played for four different coaches.
"It's not an excuse to say it altered my play too much," Wiggins said. "Every coach is different, every coach has different playing styles but no coach made me have a negative experience playing."
Current Timberwolves coach Ryan Saunders is entering his first full season as head coach with a reshaped front office led by president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas, a former Houston Rockets executive.
It helps that Saunders does have a personal relationship with Wiggins.
"I don't necessarily think about how support has been, I just can only support in my own way and that's continuing to be how I am with Andrew," Saunders said. "I've known him since he was a teenager. We've had big life moments. The guy was at my wedding, he let me know when he was gonna be a father.
"There's things that connects you on a deeper level than just being there for somebody on the basketball court," he continued. "Those conversations with players, I just like to keep to us."
Reestablishing the value of Wiggins with $122 million left on his contract over the next four years after pushing through numerous head coaches will certainly be something to watch in Minnesota this season under the new regime. However, Wiggins would rather prove his worth on the court rather than tell it through the media.
"Everyone is counting pockets. Some people are mad about, some people are happy for you," Wiggins told ESPN. "That's how the world goes especially when you've got something they don't have or do something they don't do. That's how the world goes.
"Even when I averaged almost 24 points and got the max deal people were still saying stuff," he added. "Look at max players and some max players don't average as much, but it is what it is. I'm just trying to get right, get back on track."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 54
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/17/2019 1:51:04 PM   
David Levine

The fact that he bases his worth as a player on his PPG says all that needs to be said.
Post #: 55
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/17/2019 8:12:32 PM   
David Levine

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

Kelan Martin > Jaylen Nowell (and Josh Okogie...)

I can't get over how much smaller Noah Vonleh is than how I had remembered him.

I think Dieng is going to start the season out of the regular rotation. He'll play if Bell and/or Vonleh continue to struggle.
Post #: 56
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/17/2019 10:00:10 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

I think Dieng is going to start the season out of the regular rotation. He'll play if Bell and/or Vonleh continue to struggle.

Same player he was when he was 17 years old. If you ignore salary, I'm not certain he deserves to start for the Hawks.

Jim Petersen still has faith in him though. And, that's almost as disgusting as listening to him slobber all over Rose last season.

There is no reason to start Wiggins. He's getting paid either way. Why stunt development of young players by continuing to play Wiggins? He's not ever going to make us better, he makes us worse. He's not part of a successful future either.

This team is so bad, and there isn't a quick fix, or even a light at the end of the tunnel.
Towns will be tested mentally this season. Better get accustomed to losing, and not getting the ball in the paint. Probably difficult to stay positive for the duration in that situation.

I like what I have seen of Culver.
Post #: 57
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/18/2019 9:15:43 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

Same player he was when he was 17 years old. If you ignore salary, I'm not certain he deserves to start for the Hawks.

Jim Petersen still has faith in him though. And, that's almost as disgusting as listening to him slobber all over Rose last season.

There is no reason to start Wiggins. He's getting paid either way. Why stunt development of young players by continuing to play Wiggins? He's not ever going to make us better, he makes us worse. He's not part of a successful future either.

This team is so bad, and there isn't a quick fix, or even a light at the end of the tunnel.
Towns will be tested mentally this season. Better get accustomed to losing, and not getting the ball in the paint. Probably difficult to stay positive for the duration in that situation.

I am not worried about Wiggins. Rossa knows how to get the best usage out of him without hurting anyone else. I think Culver will get plenty of playing time. The claim that KAT needs to step up his defense for the team to win was very telling too.
Post #: 58
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/18/2019 9:48:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

I am not worried about Wiggins. Rossa knows how to get the best usage out of him without hurting anyone else. I think Culver will get plenty of playing time. The claim that KAT needs to step up his defense for the team to win was very telling too.

Rosas isn't the coach. I don't know how he is going to get anything out of Wiggins. The brain trust may have modified the game plan, but it will come down to Wiggins recognition and work ethic. I have no doubt he will work hard, but he hasn't displayed anything even remotely resembling a BBIQ in 6 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 59
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/18/2019 12:01:25 PM   
David Levine

Wigs preseason:

5 games: 19 MPG, 9.8 PPG, 1.2 APG, 1.4 RPG. 33.3/31.6/50 shooting. 7 assists, 8 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 blocks.
Post #: 60
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/18/2019 1:05:59 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

Rosas isn't the coach. I don't know how he is going to get anything out of Wiggins. The brain trust may have modified the game plan, but it will come down to Wiggins recognition and work ethic. I have no doubt he will work hard, but he hasn't displayed anything even remotely resembling a BBIQ in 6 years.

I maybe wrong but I believe that all team decisions will go through Rosa as POBO. Even though this might not be his roll, he will tell Saunders what to do and weather he is played or benched. I am not saying that his play is good.
Post #: 61
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/18/2019 1:07:42 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

I maybe wrong but I believe that all team decisions will go through Rosa as POBO. Even though this might not be his roll, he will tell Saunders what to do and weather he is played or benched. I am not saying that his play is good.

If that's the case then we hired the wrong GM and he absolutely hired the wrong coach.
Post #: 62
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/19/2019 9:33:33 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Halftime:

Wiggins is so bad.

If that's the case then we hired the wrong GM and he absolutely hired the wrong coach.
W
I strongly disagree. I see nothing wrong with the coach and POBO meeting to decide how they are going to get the maximum value out of a player and how to get him to buy into what the team wants him to do. Rosa selected the assistant coaches and Saunders had little input. Open communication is the new mantra. If that makes him an improper POBO, I just say BS
Post #: 63
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/19/2019 10:01:30 AM   
David Levine

The GM should not be dictating rotations and in game adjustments.
Post #: 64
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/19/2019 10:17:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

Ultimately Rosas is Saunders boss. Appears Rosas is wanting to bring a different style of play here and it's Saunders job to implement said style.

However, I'm sure Saunders does control rotations and minutes ect...

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 65
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 9:19:48 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Ultimately Rosas is Saunders boss. Appears Rosas is wanting to bring a different style of play here and it's Saunders job to implement said style.

However, I'm sure Saunders does control rotations and minutes ect...

Yes, but the over all team play will be set by Rosa. He will have major input as to overall player development. Game to game decisions will be left to Saunders.
Post #: 66
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 9:29:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

I guess Sabonis may be on the move:
Darren Wolfson

@DWolfsonKSTP
Oct 19
MoreDarren Wolfson Retweeted Sam Amick
Told #Twolves talked to Indiana about him in June. There's no sense that any recent talks have happened though. But it remains fascinating to track this front office's aggressiveness. It's a matter of when, not if, they execute more trades.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 67
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 10:09:12 AM   
David Levine

The problem is we have very little of value to trade.

Its pretty much RoCo and Culver.
Post #: 68
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 10:12:01 AM   
TJSweens

Yep, it sucks to be in that category where the only pieces anyone is even remotely interested in are the ones you don't want to trade.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 69
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 10:33:59 AM   
David Levine

I fully expect us to trade RoCo before the deadline.

We're not going to be good or competing for a playoff spot, and I think Rosas is going to want to move him for a younger guy. He's been very open about wanting to put a core around KAT of guys of a similar age. And it sound slike he was very available in trade around draft time.

Personally I think his on court value is invaluable to a young team learning to play the game, but I also think his on-court effect on wins and losses is much greater on a good team.

So I think it's much more likely he gets traded to a good team than a bad one - which makes it trickier getting equal value back on a younger player.

I still believe that if Klay looks like he'll be back for the 2nd half, that we end up moving RoCo for Russell - and I think we'll regret it in the long run...
Post #: 70
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 10:37:29 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

We're not going to be good or competing for a playoff spot, and I think Rosas is going to want to move him for a younger guy. He's been very open about wanting to put a core around KAT of guys of a similar age. And it sound slike he was very available in trade around draft time.

Personally I think his on court value is invaluable to a young team learning to play the game, but I also think his on-court effect on wins and losses is much greater on a good team.

So I think it's much more likely he gets traded to a good team than a bad one - which makes it trickier getting equal value back on a younger player.

I still believe that if Klay looks like he'll be back for the 2nd half, that we end up moving RoCo for Russell - and I think we'll regret it in the long run...

Yep, I really see RoCo as part of the solution and not part of the problem. If Rosas goes down that road, he damn well better get real value.

Post #: 71
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 1:35:48 PM   
David Levine

Shams:
Minnesota has waived guard Ty Wallace, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

-----------------

And we're down to 15.

Personally, I would've rather waived KBD because I think there is some interesting potential in Wallace.
Post #: 72
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 2:32:11 PM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Yep, I really see RoCo as part of the solution and not part of the problem. If Rosas goes down that road, he damn well better get real value.

Not a fan of us trading RoCo

We need a solid veteran presence among the starting 5. He has tremendous value defensively both individually and getting team mates where they're suppose to be.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 73
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 3:00:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Shams:
Minnesota has waived guard Ty Wallace, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

-----------------

And we're down to 15.

Personally, I would've rather waived KBD because I think there is some interesting potential in Wallace.

Hopefully G League?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 74
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 10/21/2019 3:47:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Shams:

-----------------

And we're down to 15.

Hopefully G League?

My guess is back with the Clippers.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode