Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/21/2020 9:03:14 PM   
David Levine

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
The Wilf family that owns the Minnesota Vikings has emerged a serious candidate to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told ESPN.
Post #: 1126
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/21/2020 9:27:26 PM   
TJSweens

I wouldn't hate that. If nothing else, Zygi and Mark Wilf are competitive as hell.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 7/21/2020 9:33:37 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1127
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/22/2020 7:54:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

Agreed. We could do a lot worse.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1128
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/22/2020 8:16:36 AM   
TJSweens

If they were smart, they would give KG a 1% no questions asked stake like Cuban did for Dirk.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1129
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/22/2020 6:00:35 PM   
David Levine

Jon Krawczynski@JonKrawczynski
Sources tell @TheAthleticMIN that the Raine Group approached the Vikings to inquire about interest purchasing the Wolves a few months ago. There were initial discussions, but there are no active talks with the Wilfs/Vikings about the Wolves at this time

Sources also tell @TheAthleticMIN that the Vikings ownership group very much wants the Wolves to stay in Minnesota. But the Vikings are not currently engaged on buying the team. 2/2
Post #: 1130
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/24/2020 2:57:19 PM   
David Levine

Reports: Group headed by former NBA veteran Arron Afflalo bidding for Wolves

MINNEAPOLIS — An ownership group led by longtime NBA player Arron Afflalo is putting together an offer to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves, two people with knowledge of the bid said.

The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday because the deal was still in the process of being submitted. The group will consist of two to five individuals with a net worth of more than $10 billion. According to the people, Afflalo's group will submit the bid no later than this weekend.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, who bought the club in 1994 to keep it from moving to New Orleans, has put the franchise up for sale on the condition it remain in Minnesota. Taylor has hired a merchant bank, The Raine Group, to broker talks. There are multiple groups interested, the 79-year-old Taylor said earlier this week. He also owns the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx.

The Timberwolves have a lease at the city-owned Target Center that lasts through 2035. A $140 million renovation project on the arena was finished in 2017. In the latest sports franchise valuations from Forbes business magazine, the Timberwolves ranked 28th out of the 30 NBA teams, but still at $1.375 billion, albeit before the pandemic began.

The people familiar with Afflalo's group said the team won't be relocated. The 34-year-old Afflalo would be the face of the group, with venture capitalist Brock Berglund spearheading the financing. The only Black primary owner in the NBA now is Michael Jordan in Charlotte.

It’s a diverse group seeking to place minorities in positions of power and uplift the community in the wake of the death of George Floyd, the handcuffed Black man who died after a Minneapolis police officer pressed a knee into his neck for nearly 8 minutes.

https://www.startribune.com/reports-arron-afflalo-leading-group-looking-to-buy-minnesota-timberwolves/571894582/
Post #: 1131
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/25/2020 12:21:34 PM   
kurt bilben

Hey DL, I’m sure your wife knew Susie Zhao... Sorry for her loss if indeed they were friendly.

Horrible what happened.
Post #: 1132
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/25/2020 12:39:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Hey DL, I’m sure your wife knew Susie Zhao... Sorry for her loss if indeed they were friendly.

Horrible what happened.

She actually didn’t know her, she mostly played in California.

Terrible story. Tragic.
Post #: 1133
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 12:09:15 PM   
David Levine

If (and its a BIG if), Walters is correct, I really hope KG's group isn't the winning one:

It was recently reported that a group including Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett is bidding for the purchase of the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise. A new report has just emerged providing more details on this potential sale.

Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press reports that Garnett intends to put in a significant investment in the potential purchase, and that he would be playing a significant role in the front office should their bid be the winning one:

Word within basketball circles is that Kevin Garnett’s group that wants to buy the Timberwolves from Glen Taylor includes two billionaires from California and another from Florida. Garnett’s investment is said to be $200 million, and he would head the basketball operation with authority to name the GM and coach. Asking price is expected to be about $1.2 billion, which also includes the Lynx.

Garnett is currently estimated to have a net worth of $120 million, so it appears that he might be stretching himself a bit thin from a financial perspective with his investment in this potential purchase. Then again, the opportunity to buy an NBA team does not come everyday, and with the Timberwolves on the market, it appears to be now or never for Garnett.

It is also worth noting that Garnett was part of a group that previously attempted to bring a franchise back to the city of Seattle. While that did not exactly pan out for them, it seems that Garnett has now gotten as close as ever to officially being an NBA team owner.
Post #: 1134
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 12:55:56 PM   
TJSweens

I'm not crazy about the idea of Garnett running the basketball organization. My hope is that whoever takes over leaves Rosas in place. It will take time to de-tangle decades of clusterf***, but I think Rosas has the right approach and is surrounding himself with the right people to pull it off.

Post #: 1135
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 12:58:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm not crazy about the idea of Garnett running the basketball organization. My hope is that whoever takes over leaves Rosas in place. It will take time to de-tangle decades of clusterf***, but I think Rosas has the right approach and is surrounding himself with the right people to pull it off.

I'm still not sold on Rosas, but there are definitely things I like about him.

But I am sold on the idea that KG with any kind of power is a really, really bad idea.
Post #: 1136
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 1:13:50 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

But I am sold on the idea that KG with any kind of power is a really, really bad idea.

I guess I am not saying that I am sold on Rosas as much as I think he is a clear cut above anything we have had to this point. He at least has an understanding of what the necessary components are for a contending team, has brought in people who are well regarded as far as quantifying what players bring to the table and what is a worthwhile price to pay to get the right pieces. He also put the kibosh on bringing back the country club house band. No Wittman. No Sichting. Only time will tell if the execution will yield results. I guess I've seen enough that I'd like to see more.

And yes, I can't put into words what disaster waiting to happen, KG as POBO would be. Some of the worst moves Taylor, McHale and Saunders made were an effort to appease KG's wishes.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 7/27/2020 1:14:59 PM >

Post #: 1137
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 4:00:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess I am not saying that I am sold on Rosas as much as I think he is a clear cut above anything we have had to this point. He at least has an understanding of what the necessary components are for a contending team, has brought in people who are well regarded as far as quantifying what players bring to the table and what is a worthwhile price to pay to get the right pieces. He also put the kibosh on bringing back the country club house band. No Wittman. No Sichting. Only time will tell if the execution will yield results. I guess I've seen enough that I'd like to see more.

And yes, I can't put into words what disaster waiting to happen, KG as POBO would be. Some of the worst moves Taylor, McHale and Saunders made were an effort to appease KG's wishes.

I'm going to pile on against KG having decision making power. However, Rosas sticking with Saunders boggled my mind.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1138
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 4:04:03 PM   
TJSweens

Despite what was said publically, I am not at all convinced that Rosas had a choice in the matter.

Post #: 1139
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 4:07:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Despite what was said publically, I am not at all convinced that Rosas had a choice in the matter.

I'd be stunned if keeping Ryan on for at least one year wasn't mandated by Taylor.

Hell, Taylor even talked last week about trying to "protect his guys in the organization" as part of a potential sale.
Post #: 1140
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/27/2020 6:55:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I'd be stunned if keeping Ryan on for at least one year wasn't mandated by Taylor.

Hell, Taylor even talked last week about trying to "protect his guys in the organization" as part of a potential sale.

If it was mandated we shouldn't have gone through a sham of a HC search. Rosas resigned from his Prior POBO job due to shenanigans like that IIRC. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not at fault. I like most of the other things he has done. Could have stood pat and drafted Clarke though or the Guard that Chicago took.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1141
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/28/2020 2:48:56 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I'll join the rest in having trepidation about KG having control over hiring GMs and coaches. He may end up making great choices but it would be a crap shoot, I suspect based on emotional, personal and cronyism factors. I don't see Garnett syncing with the Rosas mentality at all. True Rosas hasn't proved anything yet, but I really like the way he blew up the team and quickly assembled something that was at the very least way more interesting, if not a finished product by any means. You could see the ocean liner starting to change course. I was excited by that.

Regarding his choice to keep Saunders, yeah he may not have had a choice there. But there were some things about Ryan that were admirable too. Maybe they just stood out because they were the exact deficiencies of Thibs.

Still I don't expect Saunders to stick around long unless he miraculously catapults the Wolves into contenders and Rosas has no choice. But Rosas could have done much worse in this early stage than retaining a young popular (with players) coach who knows his job depends on strictly following the GM's vision to the letter.

C’mon man
Post #: 1142
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/28/2020 3:31:01 PM   
David Levine

Darren Wolfson @DWolfsonKSTP
New public name in the mix to buy the #Timberwolves and #LosLynx, per Bloomberg: Daniel E. Straus. Once had double-digit percentage ownership of the #Grizzlies, and tried to become controlling owner of Memphis in 2018. Many other names/groups interested not public knowledge yet.
Post #: 1143
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/28/2020 3:31:10 PM   
David Levine

Straus is partners with Steve Kaplan who was trying to buy the Wolves a few years ago when he was a minority owner of the Grizzlies.

His intent was absolutely to keep the team in MN, but Para would not let him out of his contract with the Grizz at the time.
Post #: 1144
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/29/2020 9:06:44 AM   
ronhextall

Article says KG has $200 million and would like to make all the basketball decisions. Good luck finding others to fork over $1.2 billion to be silent partners.
Post #: 1145
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 7/29/2020 10:12:20 AM   
Bill Jandro

Right. KG was a great BB player but has no exp whatsoever to become POBO.

I sure hope this doesn't happen. really like to see Rosas have a chance to implement his vision.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1146
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 8/15/2020 1:57:24 PM   
twinsfan

I haven't heard any updates on the NIT bubble in Chicago for quite some time. When does it start?

55% of Republicans think the Earth is 5,000 years old. All kinds of people believe all kinds of crazy things. You just gotta move on, man.

-James Carville - 12/15/20 - The Beat with Ari Melber
Post #: 1147
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 8/20/2020 8:00:56 PM   
kgdabom

We got the #1 pick.
In a year nobody knows who #1 is.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1148
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 8/24/2020 7:55:26 PM   
David Levine

Shams:

Story on @TheAthleticNBA: Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx owner Glen Taylor in advanced talks to sell the franchises to group led by former Memphis Grizzlies minority owner Daniel E. Straus, sources tell me and @JonKrawczynski.
Post #: 1149
RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day - 8/24/2020 8:06:45 PM   
David Levine

Snippets:

Preliminary documents are being drawn up, and the group plans to press forward with negotiations to try to get a deal done.

The Athletic reported that Taylor had received initial interest from six to seven groups, but the Straus Group has emerged as the frontrunner, and their talks have been the most extensive to this point.

Franchise icon Kevin Garnett has expressed an interest in putting together a group to buy the team, but he has not had formal discussions with Taylor to this point, sources said. Garnett is not involved with the Straus group, according to sources. Limited partner Meyer Orbach, for several years the presumed heir apparent to Taylor, was exploring putting a group together but also has yet to officially enter the fray, sources said. There are several other groups that have expressed interest, sources said.

Taylor has been firm in his desire to sell to a group that will keep the team in Minnesota. The team’s lease at Target Center runs through 2035, but the $50 million penalty for breaking the lease early is peanuts in relation to the final purchase price. The Straus Group has been exploring what it would take to further renovate the second-oldest building in the league, a city-owned structure that received a $145 million facelift in 2017, sources said.
Post #: 1150
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2019 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode