Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 6:51:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Sometimes teams don't get what they want in the draft and there's a bit of a flurry afterwards into the remaining free agent market. The Vikings may very well be one of those teams. Safety might be one of those positions. Who knows.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 926
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 7:28:05 AM   
Bill Jandro

This is where exposing Epps cost us dearly.

Also, not re-signing Sandejo.

S cupboard is empty

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 927
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 7:30:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

S cupboard is empty

If I remember correctly Ant Harris was the 2nd or 3rd rated safety and we acquired by UDFA. I think we can find a good safety in the middle rounds if needed. It wouldn't surprise me if we traded for Jamal Adams either. He wants out of NY.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 928
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:24:37 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

S cupboard is empty

If I remember correctly Ant Harris was the 2nd or 3rd rated safety and we acquired by UDFA. I think we can find a good safety in the middle rounds if needed. It wouldn't surprise me if we traded for Jamal Adams either. He wants out of NY.

But these UDFA players take a couple years to season just like Ant Harris did.

Epps had a year under his belt in Zim's system.

Post #: 929
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:34:22 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Paul Allen is predicting that there is a 62% chance that the Vikings will trade for Williams before the draft. He is selecting AJ Terrell at #22 and Jackson at #25. He is saying that it won't happen with Jackson if the trade goes down.

It's interesting that those are the two players I selected in our draft challenge, except the order is reversed. Still, the odds are long, but it makes me think that I'm in good company.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/23/2020 8:36:16 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 930
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:41:25 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Paul Allen is predicting that there is a 62% chance that the Vikings will trade for Williams before the draft. He is selecting AJ Terrell at #22 and Jackson at #25. He is saying that it won't happen with Jackson if the trade goes down.

It's interesting that those are the two players I selected in our draft challenge, except the order is reversed. Still, the odds are long, but it makes me think that I'm in good company.

Since when has Paul Allen been good company . Also not a 60% chance, but a 62% chance. You have to admire his precision on percent chances.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 931
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:48:23 AM   
quote:

Bruce why’d you have to go and jinx it? 😉

Paul Allen never gets anything right.
  Post #: 932
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:54:00 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm on record as saying I don't want it to happen, but if it does then I will have to embrace the trade. No choice because Williams will be a Viking.

Post #: 933
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:55:51 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Bruce why’d you have to go and jinx it? 😉

Paul Allen never gets anything right.

Actually he gets a lot right. He's an annoying douche bag, but he gets a lot of good inside information.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 934
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 8:59:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

S cupboard is empty

Yeah but how good was Epps. I agree it might take a rookie a year or two but the way they cut Epps I think he was just average.

Post #: 935
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 10:00:21 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

S cupboard is empty

Yeah but how good was Epps. I agree it might take a rookie a year or two but the way they cut Epps I think he was just average.

But we can get a good safety in the middle rounds. But how good are they? They tend to be average or below. Cutting Epps was a mistake or drafting him and keeping him was a mistake. I know you think management can do no wrong, but having two safeties on your roster---one tentatively---at this point is a mistake.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 4/23/2020 10:48:32 AM >
Post #: 936
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 10:03:20 AM   
lyle chabot

Does anyone know what draft picks we have to give up for Williams if the trade happens?
Post #: 937
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 10:08:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: lyle chabot

Does anyone know what draft picks we have to give up for Williams if the trade happens?

The speculation has been a 3rd. I don't know how accurate that is.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 938
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 10:13:44 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

A third and Reiff is the most likely scenario. It's a win/win for both teams and it should happen.
However, it is reported that Dan Patrick has reported that Washington will get a first round pick in this years draft for Williams and use that pick on an OL.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/23/2020 10:15:26 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 939
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 10:47:01 AM   
Bill Jandro

Sounds like Wash is holding out for a 2nd rd pick. probably because they currently don't have one.

Post #: 940
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 11:20:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

S cupboard is empty

But we can get a good safety in the middle rounds. But how good are they? They tend to be average or below. Cutting Epps was a mistake or drafting him and keeping him was a mistake. I know you think management can do no wrong, but having two safeties on your roster---one tentatively---at this point is a mistake.

Epps was a one year fix--he is ok lets pick him. I think Jake Allen's nephew middle of draft, Tanner Muse Clemson, Chris Miller Baylor, or even Winfield---that is if they feel desperate. There are out there every year.

Good safeties fall in drafts. Epps was a sixth round pick? Lets not go overboard on Epps.

Post #: 941
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 11:25:32 AM   
Bill Jandro

Just thinking depth as far as Epps. Obviously we can draft depth but Epps did have a year in Zim's system which isn't a slam dunk to learn as a rookie let alone a much limited off-season practice wise due to the Covid.

Post #: 942
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 2:12:46 PM   
lyle chabot

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

If true make it happen Rick
Post #: 943
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 2:47:45 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

If true make it happen Rick

Our late 3rd rounder (Comp) is essentially at top of 4th.
I'd be fine with that, any higher and not so much.
Post #: 944
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 2:48:32 PM   
kevinemmer

Comps are trade-able now, correct?
Post #: 945
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/23/2020 2:52:27 PM   
TJSweens

Correct.

Post #: 946
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/24/2020 1:39:18 AM   
kgdabom

I think we really need to pull off a deal for Williams. It's too late for us to draft a great tackle. With him and a great guard we can get today our OL could finally be a strength again. Imagine that the Vikings with a strong O Line. How good could we be?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 947
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/24/2020 7:47:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I think we really need to pull off a deal for Williams. It's too late for us to draft a great tackle. With him and a great guard we can get today our OL could finally be a strength again. Imagine that the Vikings with a strong O Line. How good could we be?

I was against it, but now that the first round is over I agree. I wanted Jackson and I thought he would have been safe to be available at #22, but surprisingly he was already taken. The mock drafts were all in all pretty close, but there were a few players where the evaluations might have been off a bit- either that or the team selecting was off their rockers. People often say that "it only takes one team to love a player to be taken".

Post #: 948
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/24/2020 11:37:54 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I was against it, but now that the first round is over I agree. I wanted Jackson and I thought he would have been safe to be available at #22, but surprisingly he was already taken. The mock drafts were all in all pretty close, but there were a few players where the evaluations might have been off a bit- either that or the team selecting was off their rockers. People often say that "it only takes one team to love a player to be taken".

This draft followed mocks closer than any draft ever as far as I can recall.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 949
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/24/2020 2:10:22 PM   
kgdabom

Washington practically handing us Williams on a silver platter.

TRENT WILLIAMS
T, WASHINGTON REDSKINS

NBC Sports' JP Finlay reports the Redskins wants a package that gets second round value for LT Trent Williams.
Finlay noted that Washington is speaking with multiple teams, but they remain focused on getting fair compensation back in any deal. They're reportedly willing to be flexible about how a team wants to creates a fair package worthy of second round value, although the market could be drying up just a bit after the Browns and Jets each took offensive tackles in the first round. Williams has been one of the league's best blindside protectors for years and would be an upgrade for most, if not all, teams. The Vikings have been a trendy contender according to recent reports.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter
Apr 24, 2020, 2:22 PM ET

All we have to do is offer a 3rd and Reiff and that can easily be construed as 2nd round value. Just get this done already.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 950
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode