Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/19/2020 3:12:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Paul Allen predicts a CB to be the first pick, and added that if the Vikings go with an offensive lineman it will be a tackle- not a guard or a center. He added that the Vikings may go with a DE early in the draft.

The problem with the Vikings is not the defense. The problem is an offensive line that can't keep their statue of a quarterback upright. Why would you not plan to keep your biggest investment healthy? It's really puzzling to me.

You'll fill us in with the info on the injuries Cousins has suffered/games he has missed in his 2 seasons with the Vikings.

Effectiveness not injuries. The book on how to beat the Vikings is to neutralize Cook and pressure the QB. Then on offense pound the ball at our interior DL and then exploit Rhodes in coverage or create a mismatch in coverage with Barr.

To reverse this we either need a better OL or a QB with escapeability. On defense we need(ed) to replace Rhodes and take chances with run blitzes to help our interior DL.

So by "keep healthy" Brad means... something other than "keep healthy"?
Post #: 126
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/19/2020 3:30:49 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Paul Allen predicts a CB to be the first pick, and added that if the Vikings go with an offensive lineman it will be a tackle- not a guard or a center. He added that the Vikings may go with a DE early in the draft.

The problem with the Vikings is not the defense. The problem is an offensive line that can't keep their statue of a quarterback upright. Why would you not plan to keep your biggest investment healthy? It's really puzzling to me.

I hear you. One possibility though, is that they address the LG position in free agency and then corner in the draft. I personally like Oli Udoh a lot and hope that he can crack the starting lineup soon. That might mean moving Brian O'Neil over to LT.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 127
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/19/2020 3:32:34 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

You'll fill us in with the info on the injuries Cousins has suffered/games he has missed in his 2 seasons with the Vikings.

Effectiveness not injuries. The book on how to beat the Vikings is to neutralize Cook and pressure the QB. Then on offense pound the ball at our interior DL and then exploit Rhodes in coverage or create a mismatch in coverage with Barr.

To reverse this we either need a better OL or a QB with escapeability. On defense we need(ed) to replace Rhodes and take chances with run blitzes to help our interior DL.

So by "keep healthy" Brad means... something other than "keep healthy"?

Yes I stand corrected. He probably meant something else.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 128
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/19/2020 3:37:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Bored at work...so:

Based on a bunch of mock drafts I've seen (pre combine) how about:

1. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (If he gets by Miami at 18 should be there at 25)
2. Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama (Davis has all the tools but underachieved at AL - although not because of effort apparently. Andre Patterson could make him a first year Pro Bowler.)
3. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma (Could be the next Russell Wilson, or the next Terrelle Pryor. Gotta take the chance as the Vikings can't be stuck with Cousins as the only option after next year.)
4. Troy Pride, CB, ND (Underachieved at ND but has all the physical tools. Had a great Senior Bowl so draft stock might rise.)
4. Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia (Time to draft some extremely strong guards who won't get pushed around on the line.)

Vikings 2020 OL: Thomas (R), Thuney (FA), Bradbury, Klein, O'Neill
Vikings 2020 DL: Odenigbo, Davis (R), Chris Jones (FA), Hunter
Vikings 2020 CB/S: Hughes, Hill, Darqueze Dennard (FA), Smith, Jimmie Ward (FA)

Out: Joseph, Griffin, Reiff, Waynes, Alexander, Rhodes, Harris

Looks good if we had 60M under cap.

Thuney and Jones will get huge deals. Ward will get a nice sized deal also.

I like the move to start Odenigbo. I wonder if Everson Griffen would accept backup money. Probably not. So probably we will need another DE. Who knows. It could come via free agency after the first and second rounds of the higher priced free agents.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 129
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/20/2020 11:46:11 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

2. Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama (Davis has all the tools but underachieved at AL - although not because of effort apparently. Andre Patterson could make him a first year Pro Bowler.)
3. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma (Could be the next Russell Wilson, or the next Terrelle Pryor. Gotta take the chance as the Vikings can't be stuck with Cousins as the only option after next year.)
4. Troy Pride, CB, ND (Underachieved at ND but has all the physical tools. Had a great Senior Bowl so draft stock might rise.)
4. Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia (Time to draft some extremely strong guards who won't get pushed around on the line.)

I think it's realistic to assume Jones will be in the $20M range, and Thuney around $16M. Ward around $7M, and Dennard at $5M. Losing Joseph, Griffin, Reiff and Rhodes gets us close to those numbers. If we need to cut Rudolph as well so be it. The team needs an infusion of new talent if they want to beat teams above 500 next year and advance in the playoffs. Its time for RS to make some bold moves.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 130
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/20/2020 11:50:41 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

I like the move to start Odenigbo. I wonder if Everson Griffen would accept backup money. Probably not. So probably we will need another DE. Who knows. It could come via free agency after the first and second rounds of the higher priced free agents.

Odenigbo always seemed to show up last year. He might not be at Griffen's level, but I don't think there'd be much drop off at this point. Its a risk worth taking if it means getting Chris Jones. Hopefully we see a lot more Anthony Barr at the LOS scrimmage this year as well. I would be much more excited to see the Vikings line up Odenigbo, Davis, Jones and Hunter, than Griffen, Joseph, Stephen and Hunter.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 131
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/20/2020 12:23:51 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

Odenigbo always seemed to show up last year. He might not be at Griffen's level, but I don't think there'd be much drop off at this point. Its a risk worth taking if it means getting Chris Jones. Hopefully we see a lot more Anthony Barr at the LOS scrimmage this year as well. I would be much more excited to see the Vikings line up Odenigbo, Davis, Jones and Hunter, than Griffen, Joseph, Stephen and Hunter.

Agree on all that Happy.
(although I don't know much about Davis, so insert Rookie Round 1-3 DT there and I'm also Happy)
Post #: 132
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/20/2020 3:10:33 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

I think he just turned down better than backup money.
Post #: 133
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/20/2020 3:40:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

Everson Griffen is 32 going on 33 later this year. I would rather cut loose earlier than later on a player with a big contract. Football is a young man's game. If Griffen can get starter money elsewhere I wish him only the best. I'm his fan, but I love the Vikings team more than him, if that makes sense.

Post #: 134
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/21/2020 2:10:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

Everson Griffen is 32 going on 33 later this year. I would rather cut loose earlier than later on a player with a big contract. Football is a young man's game. If Griffen can get starter money elsewhere I wish him only the best. I'm his fan, but I love the Vikings team more than him, if that makes sense.

32 going on 33 later this year... as in Dec 22nd. To be fair, he is much closer to 31 than 33.

Usually when someone says "... going on..." there isn't a need to read further to know their point.
Post #: 135
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/21/2020 3:06:12 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

32 going on 33 later this year... as in Dec 22nd. To be fair, he is much closer to 31 than 33.

Usually when someone says "... going on..." there isn't a need to read further to know their point.

I said that because his birthday is during the season. We are more than 6 months before the season begins.

Post #: 136
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/21/2020 3:06:33 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

I think it's realistic to assume Jones will be in the $20M range, and Thuney around $16M. Ward around $7M, and Dennard at $5M. Losing Joseph, Griffin, Reiff and Rhodes gets us close to those numbers. If we need to cut Rudolph as well so be it. The team needs an infusion of new talent if they want to beat teams above 500 next year and advance in the playoffs. Its time for RS to make some bold moves.

It would be better players at all those positions. If it would work.
Post #: 137
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/21/2020 3:08:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Daniel Jeremiah has 1-3 round grades on 27 wide outs it’s important to still realize that only 5-6 of all the receivers drafted are gonna have any kind of staying power. If your team needs a wide out they need to draft them early.

(DeShawn Vaughan on Twitter)

Post #: 138
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/21/2020 11:55:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks): Thinks that Baylor WR Denzel Mims has a chance to be the best WR in the draft. Thinks that he’s very smooth, athletic, and acrobatic. Can also be had a “round or so” later than some other bigger names.

(Jordan Reid on Twitter)

Here's a highlight video. He makes a lot of contested catches and circus catches. He's 6'3" tall, so that may translate well into the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ilIYyfaCY

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/22/2020 7:38:44 AM >

Post #: 139
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/22/2020 12:13:24 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

For starters, Griffen is no longer under contract with the vikes.

Secondly, cutting Rudolph next year doesn't net you much. Needed to be done last year pre-extension but he did increase his effectiveness so last year wasn't a total loss. Hopefully he can repeat for a year or two until his dead cap # gets lower.

Harrison Smith is still really good, but he's a better net cap improvement if we cut him or renegotiate.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 140
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/22/2020 2:57:19 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bored at work...so:

For starters, Griffen is no longer under contract with the vikes.

Secondly, cutting Rudolph next year doesn't net you much. Needed to be done last year pre-extension but he did increase his effectiveness so last year wasn't a total loss. Hopefully he can repeat for a year or two until his dead cap # gets lower.

Harrison Smith is still really good, but he's a better net cap improvement if we cut him or renegotiate.

I'd like to see a Harrison Smith extension. He's playing at such a high level. He currently has two years left with cap hits at about $10 million each year. He only has $2 million in dead cap this year and will have none next year. We could add two more years and structure to provide relief in 2020 and still have him expendable prior to the 2023 season if his play drops off. Seems like a no-brainer. Unless it's the organization's goal to lose the two best safeties in football over the course of just two years.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 141
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/22/2020 9:32:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I’m finally getting deeper into the #2020NFLDraft CB prospects. A few CBs I can almost guarantee Zim is going to like for the #Vikings

- Jeff Gladney
- Cam Dantzler
- Bryce Hall

(Myles Gorham on Twitter)

Post #: 142
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/22/2020 9:37:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Check the speed out:

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/1230551618720014336?s=09

Post #: 143
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/23/2020 8:58:11 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks): Thinks that Baylor WR Denzel Mims has a chance to be the best WR in the draft. Thinks that he’s very smooth, athletic, and acrobatic. Can also be had a “round or so” later than some other bigger names.

(Jordan Reid on Twitter)

Here's a highlight video. He makes a lot of contested catches and circus catches. He's 6'3" tall, so that may translate well into the NFL.

The first catch reminded me so much of Treadwell, I stopped watching.
Not intended to be a knock on you or him, just made me chuckle.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 144
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/23/2020 9:29:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Check the speed out:

https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/1230551618720014336?s=09

That's the guy I want.

After combine, he will be Top 10.
Post #: 145
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/23/2020 9:59:46 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

(Jordan Reid on Twitter)

The first catch reminded me so much of Treadwell, I stopped watching.
Not intended to be a knock on you or him, just made me chuckle.

I don't have a hard opinion yet, except I would prefer a speedy option.

Post #: 146
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/23/2020 10:39:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We could use this kind of quarterback. The price would be very high, though.

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/1231758025062572032?s=20

Post #: 147
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/24/2020 8:10:06 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Burrows hands only 9”...Russell Wilson 10 1/4’...cousins 9 3/4”...teddy 9 1/4”...Brady 9 3/8”...Murray 9 1/2”...Rodgers 9 3/8”....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 2/24/2020 8:20:56 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 148
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/24/2020 10:21:13 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Burrows hands only 9”...Russell Wilson 10 1/4’...cousins 9 3/4”...teddy 9 1/4”...Brady 9 3/8”...Murray 9 1/2”...Rodgers 9 3/8”....

Culpepper 8 3/4”

Donald Trump 5 7/8”

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 149
RE: NFL Draft 2020 - 2/24/2020 10:32:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Culpepper 8 3/4”

Donald Trump 5 7/8”

i don't know if this is consistent with past years, but everything is in 8ths this year....

Burrow
Height: 6’3 4/8
Weight: 221
Hand: 9

Tagovailoa
Height: 6’0
Weight: 217
Hand: 9 7/8

Herbert
Height: 6’6 2/8
Weight: 236
Hand: 10

Eason
Height: 6'5 7/8
Weight: 231
Hand: 9 4/8

Hurts
Height: 6'1
Weight: 222
Hand: 9 6/8

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2020 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode