Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 5:10:51 PM   
ambear

Fools gold, maybe. But Sunday nights always feel better with a Viking win.
Post #: 4951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 5:26:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

Fools gold, maybe. But Sunday nights always feel better with a Viking win.

From the perspective of a long-suffering fan, agreed. Other than that, well nuff said.
Post #: 4952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 6:37:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

The Vikings are up to a 22% chance to make the playoffs according to this source. I think the odds move up if the Bears and Bucs lose. Also, I understand there's a chance that due to Covid situations the NFL may decide to increase the number of seeds from seven to eight in each conference.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nflpostseasonprob.html

New York Times playoff simulator has them at 27% to make the playoffs. After starting 1-5 I’ll take those odds.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html?referringSource=articleShare

And the Vikings are down to 19% my source. I'm not sure why it dropped. (Was it because the Niners won to have the same record as the Vikings?) I do like yours better. Because the Bucs lost and because we play them, if we beat them (and get the tie breaker), then we just need one more game to pass them.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 6:53:50 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

The Vikings are up to a 22% chance to make the playoffs according to this source. I think the odds move up if the Bears and Bucs lose. Also, I understand there's a chance that due to Covid situations the NFL may decide to increase the number of seeds from seven to eight in each conference.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nflpostseasonprob.html

New York Times playoff simulator has them at 27% to make the playoffs. After starting 1-5 I’ll take those odds.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html?referringSource=articleShare

Analytics overload. The Vikings had a 1% chance to win after Beebe's fumble. They won.
Post #: 4954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 6:59:32 PM   
Rob Viking

Fun game today. I don't think any team has ever come back to win after conceding back to back defensive TDs.

Kirk was great in the 4th, no Thielen, no Cook really and throwing to Beebe and Bisi. He may not be the guy to take the Vikes the SB but his play is gaining the respect of his teammates. Aside from the Saints playoff game last year or the Pack game in Lambeau his first year, I can't recall Kirk leading the team in crunch time like this. Captain Kirk!
Post #: 4955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 7:11:15 PM   
joejitsu

I wonder how good our dline would look with Pierce in the middle? Wonnum, Odenigbo, and Herc are able to get pressure off the edges without much help from the tackles.
Post #: 4956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 9:37:49 PM   
Burns

Cousins won the game. The defense and special teams continue to be the weakest link. Just like I posted after the last game.

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 4957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 9:52:14 PM   
Burns

As Vikings fans, we are accustomed to good d-line play and pass rush. This team has no pass rushers and struggle to stop the run. Even with consistent pressure in his face, Kirk stood tall in the pocket and made plays to many different targets. The run game was subpar and on plays like the strip sack and touchdown the offensive line made it tough on Kirk, but the big money QB got it done.

Don’t get me wrong, we will be drafting in the middle of the rounds with no playoff run in my opinion, but it is what it is right now.

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 4958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/29/2020 9:57:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Cousins won the game. The defense and special teams continue to be the weakest link. Just like I posted after the last game.

Well you're so smart! Other than the part about the offense giving up 2 defensive TDs, the defense only responsible for 10 of Carolina's points, and in effect saving the game by forcing Carolina into a FG after Beebe's punt fumble gave Carolina a first and goal at the 9 with just over 2 minutes left.

But other than that, you're downright prescient.
Post #: 4959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 8:06:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Well you're so smart! Other than the part about the offense giving up 2 defensive TDs, the defense only responsible for 10 of Carolina's points, and in effect saving the game by forcing Carolina into a FG after Beebe's punt fumble gave Carolina a first and goal at the 9 with just over 2 minutes left.

But other than that, you're downright prescient.

Yes, his post had as many miscues as the offense. That happens when people lose perspective while trying to defend Cousins. Emotion gets in the way, but that's part of being a fan.
Post #: 4960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 8:28:42 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

Only after Bridgewater lost it. He was horrible and missed a gimme touchdown that most high schoolers would have completed.
Post #: 4961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 8:45:07 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Only after Bridgewater lost it. He was horrible and missed a gimme touchdown that most high schoolers would have completed.

Teddy missed a few gimme throws down the stretch. Before the Beebe muff he threw 2 incompletions on simple throws and of course as you mentioned missing Moore on a blown coverage in the end zone. Curious play calling by Brady, who is a fantastic OC btw.

Kirk showed better pocket presence than he typically does. Those moments when you expect him to tuck and turtle didn't happen. He avoided the pressure stepping up and occasionally gaining some valuable yardage with his legs.

Kirk is the man he's taking us on his back to 8-8.
Post #: 4962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 8:45:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

When Cousins signed, he said he had achieved things stats wise and now wanted to focus on being known as a winner. Tough to do because so of the numerous things it takes to win. Cousins is an upper echelon QB, and I was glad we signed him as a pure FA so we didn't have to give up assets. Salary wise I think he's now the 9th highest paid QB, so there are some obscene league-wide numbers. Nonetheless, his contract is something we are stuck with for now. All that has been hashed and rehashed.

While being pro-Cousins all along, the problem IMO is he doesn't have IT. Unless you have a great defense (great as in best in a decade type D) your QB better have the inner confidence, moxy, ability to reinvent on the fly, a certain thought process to make plays, etc. The guy that shines brightest on the biggest stages. The QB who gives the team a quiet calm knowing he will make it happen more times than not.

There are a lot of ways to try to describe IT, but it's really just something you sense.
Post #: 4963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 8:55:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

When Cousins signed, he said he had achieved things stats wise and now wanted to focus on being known as a winner. Tough to do because so of the numerous things it takes to win. Cousins is an upper echelon QB, and I was glad we signed him as a pure FA so we didn't have to give up assets. Salary wise I think he's now the 9th highest paid QB, so there are some obscene league-wide numbers. Nonetheless, his contract is something we are stuck with for now. All that has been hashed and rehashed.

While being pro-Cousins all along, the problem IMO is he doesn't have IT. Unless you have a great defense (great as in best in a decade type D) your QB better have the inner confidence, moxy, ability to reinvent on the fly, a certain thought process to make plays, etc. The guy that shines brightest on the biggest stages. The QB who gives the team a quiet calm knowing he will make it happen more times than not.

There are a lot of ways to try to describe IT, but it's really just something you sense.

Yep. Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer were good enough to win Super Bowls when they were playing with once in a generation defenses. The Vikings have had good defensed under Zim, but nothing on that level.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 9:01:33 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

I will say there's a different demeanor from Kirk recently. 32 is a little late to be getting it, but he seems to be more in command of the offense and leading the team in crunch time. Seattle he led some key drives in what should have been a win, did the same yesterday. The Titans game was unfortunate and the Cowboys involved Thielen not winning his battle.

Perhaps Kirk feels comfortable with no fans. I do think this plays a part.
Post #: 4965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 9:07:45 AM   
SoMnFan

Perhaps Kirk feels comfortable with no fans. I do think this plays a part

Great point. It's to our advantage, imo (the quiet buildings)
I've got no complaints about Cousins lately. Seems to be getting better.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 10:33:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings have won 4 of the 5 games after the bye. Their chances of making the playoffs have risen from 4% to 28%.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 10:40:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings rank 26th in the NFL in points allowed. With that in mind, yes, I am pleased with 5-6. They are winning games in spite of the defense.
If you don't get it, have a look at the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Saints. They finished 7-9 in each of those years -- because of defense.

In the same timeframe (since 2018 when Cousins came to the Vikings), these QBs have won one or zero playoff games:

Russell Wilson
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Dak Prescott
Deshaun Watson
Drew Brees
Lamar Jackson

Three QBs have won a Super Bowl during the last decade on their rookie deals -- Flacco, Wilson, Mahomes.
That means eight championships were won by QBs NOT on rookie deals.
Why do we act like this "QB on his rookie deal" strategy is bulletproof? It doesn't usually work.

With the Rams losing to the 49ers and presumably angry about it, I fully expect them to defeat the Cardinals next weekend.
In that scenario, coupled with a win over JAX, the Vikings would be the #7 seed by this time next week. And then on to Tampa.

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

Post #: 4968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 10:46:54 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I have to admit I stopped watching after Beebe fumbled just short of the two minute warning. I figured with Cousins and our offenses inability to generate a drive in a two minute drill that the game was over. Carolina was going to run down the clock and score and it would be over. But then I found out later we won!

I Can't imagine any team is worse than the Vikings at clock management. but how did we have so much time after the panthers drive?

How did our offense move down the field like that when they seemed completely inept in previous attempts this season?

And How did their kicker miss that game winner by so much. Sheesh...we were LUCKY. We played a really sloppy game and were gifted a win. Cousins did ok, but did cough up the first Fumble/TD. We had a delay of game during a two minute drill at the end of the first half. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Our D game up just 10 points. Our special teams kept their returners in check and blocked a FG.

Our offense was clearly missing Theilen but still managed 28 points.

Bisi and Beebe showed up. Beebe gets redemption after the fumble by catching game winner.

Our Defense was getting torched early so kudos to whatever adjustments were made. but the announcers seemed flabbergasted that the Panthers went completely away from the run when they were gashing us repeatedly.

We were lucky. We were gifted a win.

Panthers outplayed us and outcoached themselves.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 10:51:19 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm thinking that this game (with the opportunity of Johnson and Beebe getting into the mix) will make our offense more formidable when Theilen returns.

Post #: 4970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 10:54:51 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Perhaps Kirk feels comfortable with no fans. I do think this plays a part

Great point. It's to our advantage, imo (the quiet buildings)
I've got no complaints about Cousins lately. Seems to be getting better.

There were some 15-20 yards throws he made(with Olineman getting pushed back into him) that he wouldn't have even tried earlier in the year. He is playing at a pretty high level right now.
Post #: 4971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 11:00:18 AM   
beo

quote:

I'm thinking that this game (with the opportunity of Johnson and Beebe getting into the mix) will make our offense more formidable when Theilen returns.

There aren't many games where I can say "Kirk won that game."
Well... Kirk won that game!

I think if we had a real threat at 3WR this offense could be deadly... don't know why Irv has worked out yet as that third threat.
Post #: 4972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 11:15:58 AM   
David F.

quote:

The Vikings rank 26th in the NFL in points allowed. With that in mind, yes, I am pleased with 5-6. They are winning games in spite of the defense.
If you don't get it, have a look at the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Saints. They finished 7-9 in each of those years -- because of defense.

In the same timeframe (since 2018 when Cousins came to the Vikings), these QBs have won one or zero playoff games:

Russell Wilson
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Dak Prescott
Deshaun Watson
Drew Brees
Lamar Jackson

Three QBs have won a Super Bowl during the last decade on their rookie deals -- Flacco, Wilson, Mahomes.
Why do we act like this "QB on his rookie deal" strategy is bulletproof? It doesn't usually work.

With the Rams losing to the 49ers and presumably angry about it, I fully expect them to defeat the Cardinals next weekend.
In that scenario, coupled with a win over JAX, the Vikings would be the #7 seed by this time next week. And then on to Tampa.

This guy's special skill is crafting stats and numbers to try and skew people's perception of facts. I'll restate the same thing he said in equally true terms but will say something else:

In the last decade, in order to win the Super Bowl you needed a Manning or a Brady. If you didn't have a Manning or a Brady then you needed needed a QB on his rookie deal as they won 60% of the Super Bowls in the last decade that weren't won by a Manning or a Brady. Aaron Rodgers and Nick Foles won the other two.

So, in summary, A Manning or a Brady won 50%, QBs on rookie deals won 30%, and Rodgers/Foles picked up the other 20%.

Lastly, no one has stated that 'QB on his rookie deal strategy is bulletproof'.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 11:38:35 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Russell Wilson
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Dak Prescott
Deshaun Watson
Drew Brees
Lamar Jackson

This guy's special skill is crafting stats and numbers to try and skew people's perception of facts. I'll restate the same thing he said in equally true terms but will say something else:

In the last decade, in order to win the Super Bowl you needed a Manning or a Brady. If you didn't have a Manning or a Brady then you needed needed a QB on his rookie deal as they won 60% of the Super Bowls in the last decade that weren't won by a Manning or a Brady. Aaron Rodgers and Nick Foles won the other two.

So, in summary, A Manning or a Brady won 50%, QBs on rookie deals won 30%, and Rodgers/Foles picked up the other 20%.

Lastly, no one has stated that 'QB on his rookie deal strategy is bulletproof'.

Brilliant retort....

Throwing out Manning/Brady to skew your viewpoint is ridiculously disingenious!
Post #: 4974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/30/2020 11:43:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

PFF MIN Vikings

Grades are live! The highest graded #Vikings on offense from yesterday’s win are:

Kirk Cousins 87.9

Chad Bebe 81.5

Bisi Johnson 74.8

Brett Jones 74.0

Riley Reiff 71.7

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4975
Page:   <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode